• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Monthly Charts May - 1- Switch sales up 39%, 2- PS5 up 81%, Xbox Series S/X in third position, down 16%

Interfectum

77s74g.jpg

noise36

CMA really did a number on MS and XBOX.

Claiming they are dominating cloud gaming in a made up gaming market that doesn't actually exist, while they are getting obliterated in the real gaming market.

Saying that, its just not possible for MS to ever sell as many consoles no matter their game output as they allow you to play their games day one without the console, Sony and Nintendo dont do that.

Nintendo - Want to play our games? Buy this console.

Sony - Want to play our games? Buy this console.

MS - Want to play our games? Buy our console or this less powerful console, or PC or cloud on your tablet or browser.

If your aim is to sell more consoles than your competition they choose a losing strategy which was only amplified by the ABK failure.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
CMA really did a number on MS and XBOX.

Claiming they are dominating cloud gaming in made up gaming market that doesn't actually exist, while they are getting obliterated in the real gaming market.
Almost all major regulators, even the ones that approved the acquisition, established that (1) Cloud gaming market is a separate market and (2) Microsoft dominates that separate cloud gaming market.

Duchess

PS5 is going to continue to do big numbers.

FF16 in a few weeks, Spider-Man in October, and FF7 Part 2 in early 2024.

I'm sure Sony will give PlayStation fans yet another reason to stick with the platform before the year is out, while convincing the fence sitters to finally pick up a machine. Maybe even the PC gamers, given how shoddy AAA ports are right now.

Last edited:

Tsaki

Saying that, its just not possible for MS to ever sell as many consoles no matter their game output as they allow you to play their games day one without the console, Sony and Nintendo dont do that.

MS - Want to play our games? Buy our console or this less powerful console, or PC or cloud on your tablet or browser.
Might as well release everything on PS5 and Switch 2 then. Stop the BS marketing that they want their games accessible to everyone and do it in a way that shows that they mean it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

I'm sure Sony will give PlayStation fans yet another reason to stick with the platform before the year is out, while convincing the fence sitters to finally pick up a machine. Maybe even the PC gamers, given how shoddy AAA ports are right now.
I don't think there will be any more stuff for this year, but an important thing to add to this is that Sony is offering a lot of variety and targeting multiple audience groups to sell their consoles:
  • Interested in Japanese games? Final Fantasy XVI
  • Interested in nostalgia? Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
  • Interested in hack and slash? Stellar Blade
  • Interested in pop culture and superheroes? Spider-Man 2
  • Interested in co-op shooters? Helldivers 2
  • Interested in souls-like action combat? Rise of the Ronin
  • Interested in exclusive indies? Humanity, Eternights, Pacific Drive, etc.
And that is just for ~10-12 months.

As you said, yeah, PS5 is going to continue these big numbers.

Sony did a price cut for ps5 Ragnarök bundle in North America and Europe
Maybe this will help ps5 to sell more consoles in June

gothmog

Gold Member
@adamsapple trying to work out the digital split of console sales right now like...

6cf.gif

Jokes aside, a 97% gap in sales is diabolic.

Microsoft / Phil Spencer have confirmed publicly that XB1 was a disaster, but XBOX S/X is trending behind XB1...
When you follow up a completely lost generation with a disappointing Halo and a few years of minimal first party releases it's not hard to understand why. Microsoft has so many areas they could be successful which is the sad part. Institutional arrogance and a shit ton of money to make failure tolerable is a terrible combo for any business.

feynoob

Banned
When you follow up a completely lost generation with a disappointing Halo and a few years of minimal first party releases it's not hard to understand why. Microsoft has so many areas they could be successful which is the sad part. Institutional arrogance and a shit ton of money to make failure tolerable is a terrible combo for any business.
Hey stop using logic.

feynoob

Banned
TOTK is a monster and HL legs are supreme.
Nintendo main ips this gen are monster's.

2 10m sales in 3 days is insane.

To put in to context, God of war Ragnorak took 3 months to reach that goal.

Nintendo isn't messing around this gen.

Last edited:
Xbox continues to sell too much with the planning disaster they have made, between Halo Infinite (we already see what happened to the game and the studio...) and Starfield is going to spend almost two years where the only thing they have released that is moderately important is hifi rush (very good...) and that Redfail disaster, they have basically killed all the inertia or interest that the console may have, starfield and company will help... yes, but the gap between PS5 and Series will only increase.

Mr.Phoenix

I mean we grown ups here are arguing about these plastic box sales.
But not leaving our houses, going to a pubic place, sitting 7 strong around a table, and throwing up gan... sorry, I meant brand signs. There are levels to these things.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Obviously a lack of recent AAA title is hurting ms, but I also wonder, as pc cards are becoming more affordable and more and more playstation games are being released on pc, are some former xbox gamers reaching for pc instead. I know some sony gamers will do this as well, but no day and date would sway less of them for sure.

yazenov

I don't think there will be any more stuff for this year, but an important thing to add to this is that Sony is offering a lot of variety and targeting multiple audience groups to sell their consoles:

And most 3rd party games such as Horgswards Legacy will boost PS5's sales as well since more of the consumers will buy games on Sony's consoles. Sony simply needs to advertise the game for PS5 and the general public will think it's exclusive to the platform.

It's hilarious that the Xbox One share of the game including digital is just 11.7% of the sales.

For May, 71.5% of Hogwarts sales were on PS4, and 11.7% came on Xbox One. The remainder were on current generation systems and PC

N64 had Ocarina of Time, arguably the best game ever made, and back then, the best game. Didn't help.

Xbox is done. I hope the showcase is fun, I hope they have fun, I hope they don't do silly things like "world premier". But the Xbox brand is done, after Phill's comments people lost faith and are moving on.
It had Zelda which was hailed as the best game ever

Goldeneye which was the hottest fps on console at the time

Mario kart 64

Mario 64 best 3d platform

Still lost badly. It’s about mindshare. Xbox is no longer in the discussion. People will still buy it, but they just don’t have any mindshare. A Bethesda game that’s on pc isn’t going to change that.

Woopah

I like that it has a good variety of the big third parties in there, even Embracer secured 3 spots. Just Tencent missing, and Sony, while MS at least has Mojang and Nintendo holding the flag up for first parties.
Would be interesting to see how the chart would change if Nintendo shared digital data.
It looks like Zelda is going to push Switch to a year over year increase this quarter which would break 2 years of declines. From April to June 2022 (FYQ1) Switch sold 3.43 million and if June is not terrible then Switch could achieve 4 million for the quarter. So far from the data we have:

UK: April up 30% yoy, May up 28% yoy
EU: April up 38% yoy, May up 39% yoy
JP: April 281k down 17k yoy, May 344k up 65k yoy, June 88k in 1st week up 27k yoy
US: April No.1 in units

Note: EU numbers don't include the UK and Germany

Year over year monthly percentage increases and declines for EU in 2023

PS5NSWXBS
Jan+202-11-32
Feb+400-28+13
Mar+400-19-13
Apr+144+38+19
May+81+39-16

PS5 is slowing down from that record breaking January to March, sales are still considerably higher than April and May 2022 though.
I reckon this will be the last month Switch comes first and the last quarter it is up YoY, unless it gets a price cut.

jm89

Sony did a price cut for ps5 Ragnarök bundle in North America and Europe
Maybe this will help ps5 to sell more consoles in June
Yeah it should help.

In uk it just got a price cut today and jumped a bit in the amazon movers and shakers chart

kJlSQP6.png

And in the USA it's the highest positioned console in the best sellers chart

6iQLCz9.png

I'd imagine they want to get rid of these bundles as they've been hanging around for a few months now, on ps direct it says the price will stay at that until end of july so for a while.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member

Humanity is awesome... just got the platinum

kaizenkko

I’m not in any way surprised. No big exclusives lately, no performance advantage on multiplats, no big games released on Gamepass either.
I mostly use it for cheap gaming when I don’t have anything else to play. Loop Hero was cool. And Hifi Rush. And I still enjoy Forza Horizon 5 and had decent fun with the Rally expansion. But all in all. Why would sales be up?
Sony don't have launch any big exclusive this year and are still selling PS5s like water on desert.

I think Phil was right, there's nothing they can do to turn the game.

jm89

This is so embrassing, grown ass man acting like this in public. Basically being openly fanboys for a billion dollar company.

Reminds me of Apple stans.
When there marketing game is so poor, they need these dudes to pick up the slack of the cookie monster on the far right of the picture.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I wonder if people buy multiple switches. Crazy numbers as it basically pushes sales despite already having 100m+ people.
Yes. I have 2, an OG and an OLED. The OG lives in the dock and the OLED is the one I travel with because that screen is really nice.

But considering that billions of people play video games 125 million Switch consoles sold seems like a drop in the bucket for potential addressable market.

Crayon

I mean they work at Xbox & this was most likely done just to post on social networks . I don't think they running around doing this on normal occasions 😂

No that's every meal. "We thank halo for this food, may all mankind live in peace and good health except for gaystation.... X HAAANDS!!!"

Celine

And Switch is in its 7th year to boot.

Nintendo - Want to play our games? Buy this console.

Sony - Want to play our games? Buy this console or PC.

Fixed.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
It looks like Zelda is going to push Switch to a year over year increase this quarter which would break 2 years of declines. From April to June 2022 (FYQ1) Switch sold 3.43 million and if June is not terrible then Switch could achieve 4 million for the quarter. So far from the data we have:

UK: April up 30% yoy, May up 28% yoy
EU: April up 38% yoy, May up 39% yoy
JP: April 281k down 17k yoy, May 344k up 65k yoy, June 88k in 1st week up 27k yoy
US: April No.1 in units

Note: EU numbers don't include the UK and Germany

Year over year monthly percentage increases and declines for EU in 2023

PS5NSWXBS
Jan+202-11-32
Feb+400-28+13
Mar+400-19-13
Apr+144+38+19
May+81+39-16

PS5 is slowing down from that record breaking January to March, sales are still considerably higher than April and May 2022 though.
Using data from 2021 and 2022 Switch sold around 190k , ps5 around 165k, and xbox about 75k,
If Nintendo can keep the momentum up they might hit that 16 million, with ps5 i think Sony bought in to their own hype with 25 million, i think they're going to lower their forecast to 22 million or so

Top Bottom