• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Monthly Charts May - 1- Switch sales up 39%, 2- PS5 up 81%, Xbox Series S/X in third position, down 16%

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Meme Reaction GIF

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Using data from 2021 and 2022 Switch sold around 190k , ps5 around 165k, and xbox about 75k,
If Nintendo can keep the momentum up they might hit that 16 million, with ps5 i think Sony bought in to their own hype with 25 million, i think they're going to lower their forecast to 22 million or so

Is the bolded for the month of May only?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I mean they work at Xbox & this was most likely done just to post on social networks . I don't think they running around doing this on normal occasions 😂
I only recognize Aaron in this group who works for Xbox. The rest of them do not work (at least, officially) for Xbox.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sony don't have launch any big exclusive this year and are still selling PS5s like water on desert.

I think Phil was right, there's nothing they can do to turn the game.
What are you talking about?

Sony has released 10+ exclusive big games since launch. All those games count, because all those games are available to play to someone who is just buying a PS5 now. All those play a role and serve as an incentive to buy a PS5.

Second, just this year, Sony has launched Horizon Burning Shores. Final Fantasy XVI is launching as a big PS5 exclusive next month. And Spider-Man 2's marketing has started, which is releasing in 5 months. Other games like Helldivers 2 and Stellar Blade are also scheduled for this year.

All these games would play a role in a buyer's decision. It's rare that a gamer would buy a $500 console for just 1 game. They need a catalog of games to play.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Good to see Microsoft’s Gamepass strategy fail miserably.

I look forward to seeing Sony’s GAAS trash approach fail next.

And then hopefully Nintendos next console fails hard like WiiU if it’s another weak underpowered box.

The holy trinity of floppage will result in the industry reset that is needed

Here in Japan it's still almost impossible to find a Series X for regular MSRP. You can, however, get one for a higher price bundled with Forza Horizon 5 but who in their right mind would willingly pay extra to get an Xbox, get Game Pass (which includes FH5 anyway) and then be like "oh wow it comes with FH5!"?

"Here in Japan" doesn't really mean much when the numbers sold are so pitifully low that it is clearly not an issue of supply.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Might as well release everything on PS5 and Switch 2 then. Stop the BS marketing that they want their games accessible to everyone and do it in a way that shows that they mean it.
They are not reticent to that idea, they wish it was the case actually, they would be happy having Game Pass on every console, but clearly platforms holders don't think the same, that would mean losing control and potential revenues on purchased games.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
PS5 is slowing down from that record breaking January to March, sales are still considerably higher than April and May 2022 though.
Would be interesting to compare how much of that is slowing down vs. 22 accelerating (since we only have % relative difference in this chart). Q1 was PS5s lowest point last year, and there was a gradual uptick every quarter after.

Tsaki

They are not reticent to that idea, they wish it was the case actually, they would be happy having Game Pass on every console, but clearly platforms holders don't think the same, that would mean losing control and potential revenues on purchased games.
GamePass is a non-starter for the other platforms and Microsoft knows it very well. They might as well make an offer "We'll put our games to your platforms but you get 0% cut from the sales". It is just an easily refusable "offer" and an excuse to then come back and say "Hey we tried but THEY are the problem this doesn't work out".
Of course MS is forced to release their games Day 1 on Steam now, which gets 30% cut just like Sony and Nintendo and it also doesn't support GP, because if they don't their PC initiative is dead.
If Microsoft came to Nintendo and Sony and offered a GamePass-lite with only their 1st party games included, I'm sure they'd have no problem with it. But of course that won't happen.

Last edited:

kaizenkko

What are you talking about?

Sony has released 10+ exclusive big games since launch. All those games count, because all those games are available to play to someone who is just buying a PS5 now. All those play a role and serve as an incentive to buy a PS5.

Second, just this year, Sony has launched Horizon Burning Shores. Final Fantasy XVI is launching as a big PS5 exclusive next month. And Spider-Man 2's marketing has started, which is releasing in 5 months. Other games like Helldivers 2 and Stellar Blade are also scheduled for this year.

All these games would play a role in a buyer's decision. It's rare that a gamer would buy a $500 console for just 1 game. They need a catalog of games to play.
My man, I'm talking about this year, isn't obvious? In 2023 Sony don't released any big exclusives, but still are selling consoles very well. That's what I said.

PS 1P games aren't Day 1 on PC unless they are live-service/GaaS titles. And that still isn't going to be the case for all of them.

Though I think Sony need to be more considerate about their marquee traditional games going to PC. IMO they should be 5-6 years out, or maybe even not at all. Nixxes could put their efforts towards porting and providing technical maintenance/updates for the PC versions of the live-service/GaaS titles instead.

That would be the ideal approach, anyway.

I don't think there will be any more stuff for this year, but an important thing to add to this is that Sony is offering a lot of variety and targeting multiple audience groups to sell their consoles:
  • Interested in Japanese games? Final Fantasy XVI
  • Interested in nostalgia? Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
  • Interested in hack and slash? Stellar Blade
  • Interested in pop culture and superheroes? Spider-Man 2
  • Interested in co-op shooters? Helldivers 2
  • Interested in souls-like action combat? Rise of the Ronin
  • Interested in exclusive indies? Humanity, Eternights, Pacific Drive, etc.
And that is just for ~10-12 months.

As you said, yeah, PS5 is going to continue these big numbers.
Where is stellar blade?

MrA

Banned
after another record quarter ...

LkRrtF3.jpg
hmm, you're understanding of the word projected is amazing, double sales in May seems unlikely given they didn't in the EU (up 81%) or UK (down yoy) if the US doesn't come in up substantially, then they aren't hitting that projection. , and well see with June,

Perspective. It was obvious the short term revenue on PC would increase. But:

- How is the FY23 for first party sales on PS5?
- The FY22 and FY23 include Bungie PC sales. How much did they pay for Bungie and how much much did those Bungies sales accounted for the increase?
- Won't people eventually decide to fully enter the PC ecosystem if the games are available on PC? Maybe in 2024 people will decide they can play Spider-man X/ God of War X and COD on PC for less money and not pay for online?
- On PC Sony make actually peanuts profits as Steam are taking 30%, games are less expensive by default AND they have to port the games for PC.
- Etc.

Ev1L AuRoN

I think starfield will give xbox brand a huge momentum imo
If it's good of course
It will help a lot, but Microsoft needs consistency, Starfield alone won't move the needle (in market share), but if Microsoft starts to deliver quality games consistently people will believe in Xbox and will jump ship.

Brucey

Yeah it should help.

In uk it just got a price cut today and jumped a bit in the amazon movers and shakers chart

kJlSQP6.png

And in the USA it's the highest positioned console in the best sellers chart

6iQLCz9.png

I'd imagine they want to get rid of these bundles as they've been hanging around for a few months now, on ps direct it says the price will stay at that until end of july so for a while.
Prob clearing out to make room for ff and then spiderman 2 bundles.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This is so embrassing, grown ass man acting like this in public. Basically being openly fanboys for a billion dollar company.

Reminds me of Apple stans.

Right, they should not be enthusiastic or excited about the brand they represent, I definately would love those people on the team. Like seriously what would you have them do, give the finger or run away?
Must be a joke post.

yazenov

Dont worry. Ricky said starfield shift gangbusters Xbox's and game pass subs.

Someone tell Ricky that it won't move the needle sales wise. It could give the Xbox a temporary boost in sales if the reviews are Zelda like quality, but most of its sales will be on the PC anyways. You don't need an Xbox to play this game. Sales will be back to normal (as in bad) for Xbox Series after a month or so.

Xbox needs multiple quality games released with consistency in inorder generate sales momentum, which unfortunately for them is not going to happen, given their track record of mediocrity and inconsistency with first party game releases.

Last edited:
The platforms that have delivered great games are getting the numbers they deserve...

One platform needs to sort their shit out and then they should be joining the club.

I think it's too late even if the games started flooding from end of this year, this gen is lost for Xbox pretty much. At least any allusions of reversing the trend of PS gaining higher and higher split of the market.

No console has ever declined so clearly YoY in their 3rd year on market then started selling great afaik.

EDMIX

I wonder if people buy multiple switches. Crazy numbers as it basically pushes sales despite already having 100m+ people.

I didn't, but I get why some might. To get the OLED version probably. I don't play it enough to justify buying 2 or 3 and my family are not "Nintendo people" lol My sister liked the last Animal Crossing on 3DS, but she is more of a Sims fan and continued to play that series, I had her try the new Animal Crossing on Switch for a few months and she wasn't feeling it.

Thus.....we moved on.

I don't see much coming in the future that I want to play on Switch so, I kinda get why some might not buy another, I get why some would if their family members play this publishers titles and they want to upgrade or something.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I wonder if people buy multiple switches. Crazy numbers as it basically pushes sales despite already having 100m+ people.
There would definitely be a higher console-per-person ratio in households in the case of Nintendo Switch.

A handheld device just feels more personal. And sharing it might not even be feasible if a family (working parents + kid) all go to their office and schools and game during commute or breaks. Everyone would need a separate device.

On the other hand, a traditional high-end console is sitting under the TV, where everyone can plug and play. It is not as personal and also never goes out with the person who is traveling.

Almost all major regulators, even the ones that approved the acquisition, established that (1) Cloud gaming market is a separate market and (2) Microsoft dominates that separate cloud gaming market.
Yes - that makes Microsoft’s appeal very difficult indeed as they can only hope to get the CAT to get the CMA to review their decision by claiming the CMA didn’t do due diligence.

The CMA have reviewed tens of thousands of documents, used statistics that were provided by Microsoft and were unchallenged by Microsoft at the time the decision was taken. They’ve transparently published their report (unlike many other regulators) and established that Microsoft do currently and have the most means to control the future cloud market.

Many other regulators concluded the same thing. The CMA does not want to have to regulate that market in the future due to having to (in all likelihood) step in, break up Microsoft’s operations or issue huge fines. Based on that they blocked.

It’s going to be very hard for Microsoft to argue the CMA didn’t do their due diligence when they’ve probably done the most out of all of the regulatory bodies, including the EU.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yes - that makes Microsoft’s appeal very difficult indeed as they can only hope to get the CAT to get the CMA to review their decision by claiming the CMA didn’t do due diligence.

The CMA have reviewed tens of thousands of documents, used statistics that were provided by Microsoft and were unchallenged by Microsoft at the time the decision was taken. They’ve transparently published their report (unlike many other regulators) and established that Microsoft do currently and have the most means to control the future cloud market.

Many other regulators concluded the same thing. The CMA does not want to have to regulate that market in the future due to having to (in all likelihood) step in, break up Microsoft’s operations or issue huge fines. Based on that they blocked.

It’s going to be very hard for Microsoft to argue the CMA didn’t do their due diligence when they’ve probably done the most out of all of the regulatory bodies, including the EU.
Exactly.

Microsoft only has two legit options:

1. Convince the CAT that Cloud is not a separate market (99.9% unlikely because every regulator counts it as a separate market).
2. Prove to CAT that the CMA made a mathematical error in calculating xCloud's market share in the UK.

If MS could do neither of these things, this deal is gonna remain blocked.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I think it's too late even if the games started flooding from end of this year, this gen is lost for Xbox pretty much. At least any allusions of reversing the trend of PS gaining higher and higher split of the market.

No console has ever declined so clearly YoY in their 3rd year on market then started selling great afaik.

It’s hilarious that people are still defending Phil, despite the fact it’s all happened on his watch.

Xbox could have been a serious contender this gem with someone with a better attitude in charge. Let’s hope they fire him and get someone else for the next one who can make Xbox Series XXX more of a success.

Didn't Microsoft accept those calculations though? The only ones they complained about was the console market. They seemed fine with the cloud one.
Yes.
I think they genuinely thought the merger could only be blocked on the grounds of the console market and didn’t robustly think of the cloud angle. They’ve made a lot of noise about how big their cloud operation is, what their ambitions are, that Sony and Nintendo aren’t in a position to compete on that front etc and now cloud is in focus. I bet they wish they hadn’t made such chest beating statements now.

Add in that Google didn’t feel they could compete with Stafia (due to not possessing the same advantages as Microsoft) and cloud becomes even more of a sore point for Microsoft to defend. They hold many of the best cards for cloud - giving them more doesn’t seem logical for the CMA to approve.

It would be interesting to know if Sony were caught off guard by the cloud focus too, or whether in some masterlcass move Ryan et all successfully diverted
Microsoft’s attention to console knowing that Cloud could also be an issue. I doubt it’s the latter, but that thought is amusing.

Last edited:
Yes.
I think they genuinely thought the merger could only be blocked on the grounds of the console market and didn’t robustly think of the cloud angle. They’ve made a lot of noise about how big their cloud operation is, what their ambitions are, that Sony and Nintendo aren’t in a position to compete on that front etc and now cloud is in focus. I bet they wish they hadn’t made such chest beating statements now.

Add in that Google didn’t feel they could compete with Stafia (due to not possessing the same advantages as Microsoft) and cloud becomes even more of a sore point for Microsoft to defend. They hold many of the best cards for cloud - giving them more doesn’t seem logical for the CMA to approve.

It would be interesting to know if Sony were caught off guard by the cloud focus too, or whether in some masterlcass move Ryan et all successfully diverted
Microsoft’s attention to console knowing that Cloud could also be an issue. I doubt it’s the latter, but that thought is amusing.

Microsoft did a lot to inflate their numbers. I'm not sure how they are going to use that to fight their case.

" Yeah those numbers we gave thr CMA we manipulated them to make them look bigger"

I honestly dont see that happening.

Tams

Phil got it completely wrong.*

Xbox/Microsoft have the most powerful console and no games™️, while Nintendo have the least powerful one and the most exclusive (and great) games.

Sony are the in the middle and are in the middle sales wise.

*He did recognise that exclusives matter, but weighting it so heavily in favour of snatching up third parties rather than fostering and building internal teams is the problem.

Microsoft did a lot to inflate their numbers. I'm not sure how they are going to use that to fight their case.

" Yeah those numbers we gave thr CMA we manipulated them to make them look bigger"

I honestly dont see that happening.
Their only genuine route to getting this over the line is political interference. Brad Smith’s initial statements were designed to do that and now Microsoft are meeting with the Chancellor over the issue.

Their only genuine route to getting this over the line is political interference. Brad Smith’s initial statements were designed to do that and now Microsoft are meeting with the Chancellor over the issue.

I don't think getting politicians to force the CMA to change their minds is going to work. That would look extremely bad if it happens especially given the type of organisation the CMA is.

I don't think getting politicians to force the CMA to change their minds is going to work. That would look extremely bad if it happens especially given the type of organisation the CMA is.
It’s the most corrupt government the U.K. has ever had. They’ve repeatedly tried to be ‘open for business’. They’ll be easy to manipulate because they are so far behind in the polls and the election draws near.

Top Bottom