• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: [1440p/4K] Star Wars Battlefront 2 PC Ultra Settings First Look!

Valonquar

It's probably actually a late beta, but marketing dictates it should be called Pre-Alpha so that it looks more impressive and fits with what they have been telling consumers for the past few years (where a 'beta' is actually just a pre-release demo and 'alpha' is actually the beta).

Basically what used to be beta is now called Pre-Alpha, and what was beta is now Launch Day Edition.

RoKKeR

Really incredible, wow. DICE are technical masters.

This is the kind of shit that might push me to an XOX (lol what are we doing with this name) sooner rather than later. (not that it'll look THIS good, but still)

low-G

I liked the last Battlefront. When it was new it was the best looking game. I will be buying this one too.

That said, I don't think there's a single actual new thing they're doing visually here. Those sort of screen space reflections were present in Battlefield Hardline, and I thought they actually looked better there...

Obviously this game isn't finished, but I'm thinking this may be rushed artistically compared to the first EA Battlefront and even other DICE games. But if there's going to be a lot of content, including that single player campaign, maybe it needs to be done.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Looks very good, but I was sort of expecting more at PC Ultra settings. More photorealism, which this isn't even close to. I remember being more impressed by the Endor stuff from the first game (what I saw of it, haven't actually played it).

belvedere

Junior Butler
Welp. I need to upgrade to a Pro before this comes out.

I really hope that the engine is as well optimized as Battlefront 1. Even on base PS4, the game's framerate was very consistent. Battlefield 1 was a different story and one of the main reason's I upgraded to a Pro. I'm hoping that's not the case with Battlefront 2.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I really hope that the engine is as well optimized as Battlefront 1. Even on base PS4, the game's framerate was very consistent. Battlefield 1 was a different story and one of the main reason's I upgraded to a Pro. I'm hoping that's not the case with Battlefront 2.

Battlefront ran better than BF4 even with the massive engine improvements so I imagine that with a lower player count, no bullet physics, and no destruction Battlefront 2 should run better than BF1.

Nabbis

Looks very good, but I was sort of expecting more at PC Ultra settings. More photorealism, which this isn't even close to. I remember being more impressed by the Endor stuff from the first game (what I saw of it, haven't actually played it).

A 1080GTX seems to just about run 1440p at 60fps in ultra in the video. I don't think it's realistic for them to crank it up even more.

Coolluck

How much better do you expect games to look at this point? This is absolutely stunning and it feels like a step above Endor.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Game looks best with matte surfaces. The reflections are killing the look.

The reflections are insane. Hope they can get those in on consoles. BF1 left SSR out.

I disagree. They look bad and are distracting. I wouldn't bother including a feature that works half the time. Screen space looks great in pristine untouched perfect curated camera shots.

The problem with screen space stuff in any game is because it gets distorted by objects in the way of the camera. Anytime a player was walking over a reflected floor, it just ruins the effect. It's even worse when you have the 3rd person camera view going and your character is actively distorting all the reflections because he's in the foreground (See the 5:00 mark in the video). The jedi lightsaber is even worse because it can make the whole floor glow like it's a bad parody of lost izalith if it gets close to the camera.

Honestly, it's nice for small little puddles like on the streets outside since it's harder to see the distortion and saves on work doing cube maps or inverted blurred textures, but big reflective floors and surfaces are an absolute no no in my opinion. It's a very bad offender and worse than chromatic aberration or bloom by far.

Edit: I mean seriously, watch the video on the floors after the 5 minute mark, and tell me that doesn't look awful as the floors jittery around changing reflections constantly to the players and gunshots?

WillyFive

Battlefront ran better than BF4 even with the massive engine improvements so I imagine that with a lower player count, no bullet physics, and no destruction Battlefront 2 should run better than BF1.

Yeah, BF1 ran poorly because it was a CPU intensive game (with all the destruction, physics, deformable terrain, weather, and players going on). But the Battlefront games are mostly static, so it should run much better.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How much better do you expect games to look at this point? This is absolutely stunning and it feels like a step above Endor.

Again, I never played the full game on a powerful PC (only the PS4 beta), but did it end up looking this good?

rendition1.img.jpg

If so, I think this screenshot looks better than the BF2 footage.

WillyFive

Again, I never played the full game on a powerful PC (only the PS4 beta), but did it end up looking this good?

Yeah, it looks like that, but with lots of people running around aimlessly and tons of explosions everywhere.

The fact that frostbite games look as well as they do while delivering the kind of performance they do is incredible.

Yea Frostbite is IMO the best engine out there... BUT I think Horizon: Zero Dawn / Killzone: SF's engine could give it a run for the money.

Izayoi

Banned
Frostbite is the most technically impressive engine ever to grace the industry, in terms of both visuals and audio.

How does DICE do it?

low-G

Game looks best with matte surfaces. The reflections are killing the look.

I disagree. They look bad and are distracting. I wouldn't bother including a feature that works half the time. Screen space looks great in pristine untouched perfect curated camera shots.

The problem with screen space stuff in any game is because it gets distorted by objects in the way of the camera. Anytime a player was walking over a reflected floor, it just ruins the effect. It's even worse when you have the 3rd person camera view going and your character is actively distorting all the reflections because he's in the foreground (See the 5:00 mark in the video). The jedi lightsaber is even worse because it can make the whole floor glow like it's a bad parody of lost izalith if it gets close to the camera.

Honestly, it's nice for small little puddles like on the streets outside since it's harder to see the distortion and saves on work doing cube maps or inverted blurred textures, but big reflective floors and surfaces are an absolute no no in my opinion. It's a very bad offender and worse than chromatic aberration or bloom by far.

Edit: I mean seriously, watch the video on the floors after the 5 minute mark, and tell me that doesn't look awful as the floors jittery around changing reflections constantly to the players and gunshots?

I like SSR, but it's one of the most artifact prone special effects in gaming history. So many obfuscation issues.

Timu

BF2 has Endor as well and the whole game should look better in the end.

Top Bottom