• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] : Call of Duty Vanguard Beta: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Multiplayer + 120Hz Modes Tested!

Arioco

- Resolution: PS4 Pro targets 1536p DRS/Reconstruction, PS5 targets 2160p DRS)/Reconstruction, Series X is identical to PS5 and Series S targets 1080p DRS/Reconstruction.

Performance: PS4 Pro targets 60 fps but has some dips. PS5 and Series X and S hold 60 fps with no problem.

120 fps mode: Resolution drops to 1536p max on PS5 and Series X. Performance is similar on both but Series X has some tearing. Series S struggles the most ag 120 fps.

Last edited:

Md Ray

5kxHzwV.jpg

skneogaf

Ps5 version looks good but the xbox series versions are not good enough and the developers need to be held accountable.

Far too many poor quality releases this generation, especially at the launch of the game.

VRR will fix it but its still not good enough.

Evilms

Banned
I've not watched the video, but I hope the xbox is at a higher resolution to warrant those frame drops and tearing.

Looks like the marketing platform wins again...if the resolution is identical.
Acording to vgtech both console runs at same resolution

Xbox Series X & PS5 in 60fps mode : dynamic resolution 3840x2160 - 1920x2160

Xbox Series X & PS5 in 120fps mode : dynamic resolution 2730x1536 - 1365x1536

Xbox Series S 60 & 120fps modes : dynamic resolution 1920x1080 - 960x1080
1920x1080 more in 60fps mode than 120fps mode.

Last edited:

sendit

- Resolution: PS4 Pro targets 1536p DRS/Reconstruction, PS5 targets 2160p DRS)/Reconstruction, Series X is identical to PS5 and Series S targets 1080p DRS/Reconstruction.

Performance: PS4 Pro targets 60 fps but has some dips. PS5 and Series X and S hold 60 fps with no problem.

120 fps mode: Resolution drops to 1536p max on PS5 and Series X. Performance is similar on both but Series X has some tearing. Series S struggles the most ag 120 fps.

Suck it activision. Series X has VRR.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Acording to vgtech both console runs at same resolution

Xbox Series X & PS5 in 60fps mode : dynamic resolution 3840x2160 - 1920x2160

Xbox Series X & PS5 in 120fps mode : dynamic resolution 2730x1536 - 1365x1536

Xbox Series S 60 & 120fps modes : dynamic resolution 1920x1080 - 960x1080
1920x1080 more in 60fps mode than 120fps mode.

Yup, PS5 takes this one and I aint even madge....Game looks awful.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Wait, it's still cross gen affair?

Now it make sense, I willing to bet that none of the new APIs were used.

Especially with no RT in sight.

Especially with MS, which admittedly it's kind of their fault, the code has to be quite different. Don't take just my word for it, Remedy dev said it themselves.
Sony is more elegant in this manner, but N D A, because you are not allowed to discuss even how it works, because reason.. Yeah I can see someone that someone could copied it. But in nutshell very close to Apple's Metal.

EDIT: I am writing like a cognitive lightweight, hopefully fixed.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Wait, it's still cross gen affair?

Now it make sense, I willing to bet that none of the new APIs were used.

Especially with no RT in sight.

Especially with MS, which admittedly it's kind of their fault, the code has to be quite different. Don't take just my word for it, Remedy dev said it themselves.
Sony is more elegant in this manner, but N D A, because you are not allowed to discuss even how it works, because. Yeah I can see someone copied it. But in nutshell very close to Apple's Metal.
Tbh CoD games should be focused on delivering a locked 60FPS or 120FPS experience for multiplayer, they can focus on RT and other graphical settings for the campaign.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Tbh CoD games should be focused on delivering a locked 60FPS or 120FPS experience for multiplayer, they can focus on RT and other graphical settings for the campaign.
Yeah, but no RT whatsoever or is it just the MP portion now? I am outside of proper internet device on my phone, killing time. So sorry if I missed something.

Edit: MP only, I am slipping. I am nervous from health check, so apologies.

Last edited:

rushgore

The fucking game drops down to 90 fps. VRR won’t fix those type of drops. Yes it does not look stuttery, but you still see 90fps instead of 120.

I could understand VRR hiding some rare 3-5fps drops, but damn it does not change the fact that the game runs at 90fps just because it has VRR. I feel like DF are overhyping this technology.

Even on PC with Gsync, I always lock my framerate at a point where I’m sure my system won’t drop any frames for 99.9 percent of the time.

Riky

$MSFT
The fucking game drops down to 90 fps. VRR won’t fix those type of drops. Yes it does not look stuttery, but you still see 90fps instead of 120.

I could understand VRR hiding some rare 3-5fps drops, but damn it does not change the fact that the game runs at 90fps just because it has VRR. I feel like DF are overhyping this technology.

Even on PC with Gsync, I always lock my framerate at a point where I’m sure my system won’t drop any frames for 99.9 percent of the time.

It does fix those drops, it's hard to tell the difference between 120fps and 100fps especially at low frame times but it's your televisions reaction to the drops that causes the judder.
If you had prolonged constant drop you might feel it in controller latency but the games is more variable than that.
It was totally smooth for me on Series X with VRR.

arvfab

Banned
I played both versions exclusively at 120hz and I had to stop playing the PS5 version as drops of 40fps with no VRR was a killer in a twitch shooter.
Looking at 60hz you will be fine on all three next gen consoles but 120hz is pointless without VRR.

You are a funny dude... Or a blatant liar (or both!).

Test shows pretty good avg. near 120fps and minimum dips to 98 (120-98=22) and yet you noticed drops of 40fps 😂

------

Game doesn't look that hot, although better than I tought. For a 120fps game, I see only Battlefield looking better than that on consoles.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

This is completely wrong.

I have had G Sync and VRR for years and it absolutely is revolutionary I can have drops from 165Hz to 90 FPS on games like Apex etc and it is completely unnoticeable and is buttery smooth.

arvfab

Banned
jJEBZhd.jpg

Maybe you should check your facts first, wrong as usual.

Which facts? I'm going by the pic posted previously. Are they wrong? Can you provide others?

Nevermind: pic didn't load. So the comparison above is wrong?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
PS5 clearly wins this one. I imagine it is down to the marketing that it has received a little extra attention but there is no excuse for the xbox to not offer a higher resolution on this trash looking game.

The game looks absolutely terrible, I was shocked watching the video.
It looks absolutely atrocious for a PS4 era game. What a fall from grace for Sledgehammer who did the amazing looking Advanced Warfare just year into last gen.

Top Bottom