• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Can the Slowest PS5 SSD Upgrade Run Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart?

sinnergy

No, dude. lol.

EDk80g6.gif
It just loads a small chunk of the next level in the portal … it’s a coding trick .. why waste resources of rendering ..

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
oh boy..

You dont need the whole level in memory. just that area.

how about 25+ years as software developer plus this guy who has had over 40 in the gaming industry working on big titles.

Now where is your proof it does that is not from Sony PR vids? .. I too can play that stupid game of prove it..

Here we go. Let's the carnival of the stupidity begin .

sircaw

Banned
It's absolutely insane that almost 2.5 years after Cerny revealed all the possibilites of the new SSD in the wired article and another 1.5 years after he made us contemplate mass suicide at the Road to PS5 conference, not a single game seems to be utilizing the fancy I/O and his expensive 5.5 GBps SSD to its limit.

All those fancy demos of Spiderman's fast traversal through Manhattan, those block diagrams showing how game design will change forever, and how we will truly revolutionize gaming has simply not come to pass in the almost 3 years since the PS5 reveal and 1 year since launch. We cant even hope to look ahead because they have shown nothing that seems to be taking advantage of this I/O and SSD combo.

It's extremely disappointing and a gigantic waste of resources. Just make a simple tflops heavy console next time, Cerny. No one gives two shits about your damn SSD dream.
You do realize that it's the start of the generation. Come on ffs :messenger_heart:

Your comment on making a simple tflop console is going to look ridiculous as time goes on.

Come on Slimy, put some thought into your own argument, what your saying does not make sense in the long term. (Just say it out loud to yourself, then think about it for a few moments)

I see you and DarkMage619 DarkMage619 came to the same conclusion on the Austin Evans argument, i think i know where this lack of logical thinking is coming from.

You need to get out of that discord channel and change some of the besties on your friend list ASAP. "lollipop_disappointed:

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
oh boy..

how about 25+ years as software developer plus this guy who has had over 40 in the gaming industry working on big titles.

Now where is your proof it does that is not from Sony PR vids? .. I too can play that stupid game of prove it..

This is not proof.

He said the entire level is loaded instantly which means it's not stored in memory. If you're going to show me proof, then don't show me a video of someone who did NOT work in the game.

Topher

Gold Member
You can look at the Microsoft console. $500 just like the PS5. The difference between the two consoles is a bigger GPU and faster SSD. MS chose to go with a slower SSD put the savings towards a bigger GPU silicon. Sony went the opposite way. They must have thought that the 5.5 GBps SSD would be crucial to give them a performance advantage or design advantage, but clearly we have not seen that advantage yet. unless you count loadings an advantage but I highly doubt anyone would give up 18% better performance for some faster loading.

Key word highlighted. And let's not pretend XSX GPU is blowing PS5 away. The differences have been marginal at best in most cases. Personally, I'm glad they took different approaches. Why in the world would we want these consoles to be exactly alike?

Last edited:

sinnergy

You really don't know what you're talking about. I quoted a developer above who said it's loading instantly. You guys just like to make absurd claims without any facts.
Doesn’t matter, it’s still a coding trick , it streams in a part of the level … I bet a 1000 mb/ sec Ssd could also do it. It needs to go through a whole game and game rendering pipe , with all kinds of buffers . It streams the rest of the new level when you start going through the portal a bit . It has a culling and streaming systems as all the games out there have …

The point was , only a 5500 mb/s drive could do it .. clearly not the case .. even one without cache .

Last edited:

Zathalus

It's absolutely insane that almost 2.5 years after Cerny revealed all the possibilites of the new SSD in the wired article and another 1.5 years after he made us contemplate mass suicide at the Road to PS5 conference, not a single game seems to be utilizing the fancy I/O and his expensive 5.5 GBps SSD to its limit.

All those fancy demos of Spiderman's fast traversal through Manhattan, those block diagrams showing how game design will change forever, and how we will truly revolutionize gaming has simply not come to pass in the almost 3 years since the PS5 reveal and 1 year since launch. We cant even hope to look ahead because they have shown nothing that seems to be taking advantage of this I/O and SSD combo.

It's extremely disappointing and a gigantic waste of resources. Just make a simple tflops heavy console next time, Cerny. No one gives two shits about your damn SSD dream.
A more powerful console would have just resulted in slightly higher resolution for PS5 games. Metro Exodus has around 20% higher resolution on the Xbox, but even I struggle to notice that difference when switching between them.

I suppose they could have enabled all 40 CUs and used 16Gbps RAM modules, but that would have been significantly more cost for 10% more performance at best. I assume Sony didn't think it was worth loosing billions of dollars over.

AMC124c41

Neo Member
Is everyone ignoring the fact that John clearly mentions at the end that one of the reasons why the slow SSD is doing so well is probably because of the PS5 I/O and the dedicated decompression chips that speed up the whole process anyway no matter where the game data is being read from?!? Yes, this would apply to the Xbox Series X as well to some extent.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Is everyone ignoring the fact that John clearly mentions at the end that one of the reasons why the slow SSD is doing so well is probably because of the PS5 I/O and the dedicated decompression chips that speed up the whole process anyway no matter where the game data is being read from?!? Yes, this would apply to the Xbox Series X as well to some extent.
No one is ignoring it. The entire point is that if the I/O was enough as these tests suggest then why go with a 5.5 GBps SSD instead of a slower 3.2 GBps ssd that can do the same thing with the help of the I/O.

They had no problems going with a slower RAM bandwidth. Shouldve gone with a slower SSD and faster ram bandwidth or bigger SSD.

sircaw

Banned
NONE OF THAT SHIT MATTERS< THIS IS WAR "lollipop_disappointed:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Why would games this early in the generation take full advantage of the PlayStation hardware?

Nearly all games released within the last year are cross-gen games.

Let's not forget the fact that the loading in Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart and Astro Bot was slower in the earlier builds and there's still visible pop-in while loading new levels. There's still a lot of room to improve and nothing right now is truly instant as of right now and there will be more demanding titles going forward. Basing this on early games is ridiculous. lol

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
No one is ignoring it. The entire point is that if the I/O was enough as these tests suggest then why go with a 5.5 GBps SSD instead of a slower 3.2 GBps ssd that can do the same thing with the help of the I/O.

They had no problems going with a slower RAM bandwidth. Shouldve gone with a slower SSD and faster ram bandwidth or bigger SSD.
I think it's quite early to say if such SSD speed is useless. We are still in the cross-gen fase. Let's see what happens when games start to push the boundaries beyond the past generation.

Last edited:

sinnergy

You didn't work on a game and you're trying to tell me what's going on after I quoted an actual developer of the game.

lol.
Thats he is loading stuff really fast … that’s what he says .. he doesn’t tell you he loaded the whole level … why would they even do that .. it’s a complete waste of resources , but anyway believe what you want.

• LOL
Reactions: Rea

Topher

Gold Member

So basically you are making a massive assumption that what Insomniac achieved with R&C on PS5 is all that will ever be achieved. We will see no more benefit to this drive's speed over one nearly half as fast throughout the entire generation.

I guess that's the case for graphics and performance then as well, huh?

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So basically you are making a massive assumption that what Insomniac achieved with R&C on PS5 is all that will ever be achieved. We will see no more benefit to this drive's speed over one nearly half as fast throughout the entire generation.

I guess that's the case for graphics and performance then as well, huh?

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN
Always the internal drive if and when that game comes out

SlimySnake

A more powerful console would have just resulted in slightly higher resolution for PS5 games. Metro Exodus has around 20% higher resolution on the Xbox, but even I struggle to notice that difference when switching between them.

I suppose they could have enabled all 40 CUs and used 16Gbps RAM modules, but that would have been significantly more cost for 10% more performance at best. I assume Sony didn't think it was worth loosing billions of dollars over.
Higher resolution or better framerate. Right now, their last two games have framerate issues forcing you to play in performance mode. Deathloop stays around the 50 FPS mark in Quality mode in NX Gamer and DF tests while users are reporting framedrops in Kena as well. Lets assume its like Deathloop and hovers around 50 fps. 20% of 50 is 10 fps and you get a 60 fps framerate.

Id rather take that than some game way down the line that may or may not max out the 5.5 GBps SSD.

MS was able to offer a 52 CU GPU with 560 GBps of RAM bandwidth. They did it by cutting costs on the SSD side. They arent losing billions and neither would Sony had they gone with that configuration.

assurdum

Banned
Higher resolution or better framerate. Right now, their last two games have framerate issues forcing you to play in performance mode. Deathloop stays around the 50 FPS mark in Quality mode in NX Gamer and DF tests while users are reporting framedrops in Kena as well. Lets assume its like Deathloop and hovers around 50 fps. 20% of 50 is 10 fps and you get a 60 fps framerate.

Id rather take that than some game way down the line that may or may not max out the 5.5 GBps SSD.

MS was able to offer a 52 CU GPU with 560 GBps of RAM bandwidth. They did it by cutting costs on the SSD side. They arent losing billions and neither would Sony had they gone with that configuration.
Yeah I seen how much better games run on series X thanks to the MS approach. :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

sinnergy

SSDs speed degrades over time so it's doubtful Sony ever designs a game that requires the full bandwidth of the internal SSD.
Bingo, but don’t tell them here , a 2400 mb/s drive sustained would probably be even fine … only loading times would be longer when Not ingame. That’s what we are seeing sometimes , even now.

SlimySnake

I think it's quite early to say if such SSD speed is useless. We are still in the cross-gen fase. Let's see what happens when games start to push the boundaries beyond the past generation.
I guess I am basing this off of the game in the title of the thread. We do have a next gen only game literally designed around the SSD that isnt even coming close to maxing it out.

We also have several next gen only games like Deathloop, Demon Souls, Returnal that dont seem to be doing much of anything with the SSD. Returnal is literally 1080p base resolution, and uses TAA and checkerboarding to create a 4k buffer. Deathloop struggles to run at 60 fps in quality mode, and Demon Souls left out ray traced shadows at the last minute. Who is to say that more ram bandwidth and a more powerful GPU would not have been a better choice for those games that are not really maxing out the SSD?

assurdum

Banned
I guess I am basing this off of the game in the title of the thread. We do have a next gen only game literally designed around the SSD that isnt even coming close to maxing it out.

We also have several next gen only games like Deathloop, Demon Souls, Returnal that dont seem to be doing much of anything with the SSD. Returnal is literally 1080p base resolution, and uses TAA and checkerboarding to create a 4k buffer. Deathloop struggles to run at 60 fps in quality mode, and Demon Souls left out ray traced shadows at the last minute. Who is to say that more ram bandwidth and a more powerful GPU would not have been a better choice for those games that are not really maxing out the SSD?
Games are still tied to the old HDD concept in terms of DATA stream. It's not like developers already know how to push so much data because the tech it's available. Quite early to say if it's useless. Let's see in a couple of years. Have such massive stream data speed it's far from useless especially in a close hardware. Could be very useful when hardware limits will coming. Developers use often data stream to turn around the hardware limits on console if I'm not wrong

Last edited:
So basically it means there’s more room for improvement for future games.

I distinctly remember Insomniac devs telling them that they had a problem with SSD speed. Not with it not being not fast enough but that their game engine couldn’t fully utilize the speed. I dunno if he’s telling the truth but the results shown here seems to confirm it a little.

edit: yeah, they really did say that the engine couldn’t keep up with the SSD speed. Here is the interview.

Yea, I'm not really sure If the angle is "Look PS lied about what speed the SSD should be" or if it's just trying to test out what you can get away with rn. I'm personally leaning toward your mind set... like cool, I guess there's a lot of room for improvement. Couple that with the fact that most of these dev's haven't had that much time with these consoles. I think they're still getting a hang of it really. We should see some big improvements in the future.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Horizon and GT started dev in 2017.

GOW Ragnorak started dev in 2018.

Coronavirus wasnt a thing until March 2020. The games were already well into production at that point.

He's right you know!

Saying this, let's all just wait until fall 2023 and we should then have a better idea of what the PS5 can actually do when Spider-Man 2 launches.

I just hope that some of what Cerny said comes true, different designs to levels etc...because if they don't...it will be a shame...

...Although, people will still believe the next load of stuff that he talks about for the PS6 launch.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If you had watched the video, you would have picked up that they didn't downplay anything.
I guess people saw a different article then I did.

I saw where games TODAY work with slower SSDs.

I didnt see any downplaying or discounting what Sony said nor did I see them say these slower SSDs will always work with any future game.

But people read what they want to see

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

You are completely right, the generation is almost over, PS6 and Xbox Series 1000 are around the corner, and yet we have to see a game fully utilize the I/O complex.

I'm glad you thought carefully about your argument.

.....No really dude, you are annoying.

And the only "difference" we see between the 2 consoles is a slightly higher dynamic res you wouldn't even notice while playing games, and the XSX doesn't even performs better in fps or texture detail over the PS5.

SSDs speed degrades over time so it's doubtful Sony ever designs a game that requires the full bandwidth of the internal SSD.

Wrong, consoles don't constantly write data, only when you download games, updating games. Other then that it's only reading. And thats why the read speed is important over the write speed.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well, anyone have any old articles?

Did Sony and Insomniac say R&C can only be done with PS5 and SSD?

Or did they say R&C can only be done with PS5 and with a 5.5gb/s SSD?

Topher

Gold Member
I guess people saw a different article then I did.

I saw where games TODAY work with slower SSDs.

I didnt see any downplaying or discounting what Sony said nor did I see them say these slower SSDs will always work with any future game.

But people read what they want to see

They explicitly said the opposite.

Timestamped:

Boglin

Leading up to the console release I was wondering the same things about why Sony designed their console with such high SSD performance. Its SSD has 200GB less storage than a standard drive and the I/O came at the direct cost of die space on the APU which was already smaller than the competition's. Both R&D and die space are expensive and Sony is in this to make profit so it makes no sense why they would be spending extra money to implement a frivolous feature. I don't think they would do it for a negligible faster loading time over an off the shelf 3.2 GBps SSD.

In my mind, there must be some tangible benefit that is intended to be used and the only obvious area is to act as a crutch for the relatively low increase in memory this generation.
Surely developers and people on the console design team would have told Cerny that he's acting drunk and retarded if he was developing a completely useless feature.

Last edited:
Top Bottom