• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct: The Price of PS5 - Are We Looking At A $500 Console?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This idea that consoles should be affordable to the lowest of incomes as if its a basic human right to own a video game system is stupid.

Really wanted to enjoy Bloodborne, but that framerate and resolution...
the bloodborne resolution is ok but total lack of anti aliasing is crushing. If it at least had temporal aa... But the framerate I was always ok with and bloodborne controls so nicely, 30fps never seemed like a problem for me perosnally

Hostile_18

Banned
Ultimately if your a kid or a low disposable income individual and you want a next gen console day 1 you just put a little bit away each week/month if its important to you.

If it's not then just get it in a year or twos time when the price has come down and there's more games available.

the bloodborne resolution is ok but total lack of anti aliasing is crushing. If it at least had temporal aa... But the framerate I was always ok with and bloodborne controls so nicely, 30fps never seemed like a problem for me perosnally

I dont mind console 30fps, either. It doesnt need to be 60fps on console for any genre other than FPS for me personally.Some games have really bad framepacing like Mankind Divided or just too low of frames dropping.

Lock BB at a stable 30fps and add some proper AA and ill be happy.

scalman

so $500 its a lot ? srsly ? how much you paid for that new phone then ?
and even if xbox new console will be cheper that doesnt matter at all, because i buy console for game that i want to play on it , not for specs or price.

Last edited:

SebastianM

This idea that consoles should be affordable to the lowest of incomes as if its a basic human right to own a video game system is stupid.

Really wanted to enjoy Bloodborne, but that framerate and resolution...

yup, I'm from a 'secondary market' as you would call it, and the official MSRP in my country was around $550 for the PS4 at launch, I was right out of high school that year (late 2013), you know what I did? saved up and got one around mid 2014.

It's not a first necessity item, it's supposed to be a hobby you invest disposable income on.

Dural

Yes. Because we ALL know it cost Sony more than $381 overall at launch.

The article specifically states that the cost to build is included, so you're arguing that shipping and retail cut is what puts it over the retail price? I'm not sure what the cost of shipping 1,000,000 consoles from China on a slow boat would be, but I'd imagine it's fairly cheap per unit (<$5?). As for retail cut, we've all heard that retailers don't make much, if anything, on consoles at launch.

Sony themselves said they were profiting from PS4 six months after launch, so your assertion that they were losing money on every console sold at the beginning doesn't hold a lot of weight.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
But MS doesn't have a lot of room to burn money on the next-gen Xbox. Look at their quarterly numbers.
This post is absurd. They still generated two billion in revenue at the end of the console generation. They spent a boatload on studios last year and are gearing up for marketing xCloud. There’s a ton of financial resources available for Xbox.

They’re in a much better financial situation than Sony. Sony needs to make a profit on these consoles or it will severely impact the bottom line as it did at launch when their overall revenue tumbled due to PS3’s bottoming out. Shareholders demand the status Sony currently has and the revenue now is a lot higher than it was back then.

Vawn

Banned
299 sweet spot
399 expensive, but if they can't produce a lot of them could be a option.
499 better have 2 games and a controller delivered with it and be prepared to drop that price at the end of the year.

LOL Are you serious? 299?

Those price points spell tragedy in Japan.

PS4pro+XBX in Japan = 1.45 million units.

Those two consoles are cheaper than the rumors of next gen prices.

leo-j

We’ve seen what happens to $500 and up consoles. People can say what they want, but history shows any console priced above $400 doesn’t reach enough people to be mass market.

And Sony knows this better than any company.
That was before people were paying $900 and up for a cellphone every year :)

Go check the price for 7gb's 1tb ssd, and then compare it towards the most shit tier HDD u can find. I will wait.

Where? For the same capacity? Press X to doubt.

Nahp, youre both right.

Theres a $100 on avg gap between a 2tb HDD and a 1TB SSD, though I imagine Sony buying in bulk would get them a much cheaper price than what we're looking at on a consumer shop front.

sinnergy

MS should do them a good one, Sony had so much fun embarrassing them last time with game sharing and what not. 399, Series X, do it Phil!

I dont think it would be a disaster if one company declares their console will be higher priced, lets say $100 more. The PS3 shot itself in the foot with pricing because besides blue-ray, it didnt offer anything better and third party games ran better on the cheaper console. If XBX is $500, PS5 can say $600 as long as they got the HW to back it up. If its same same HW on both, then you have a problem. Theres almost 90 million PS4 owners, as I said as long as it offers more its not like the PS4 people would jump shit to xbox because of price difference.

S sinnergy

So you do consider consoles a luxury and somehow luxury = must be cheaper. How does that logic work, you are buying a piece of long lasting HW. 15 years later you people still want to pay $400. Why dont you tell apple to keep their phone prices as iPhone3G instead of bumping them almost every year. A Ferrari is a luxury....you want luxury you pay $200.000. Nobody is asking them to price it lower.

Take a PC for example. Remove the monitor and keyboard/mouse....just the PC itself. What kind of PC do you expect to get when you go into a store and you see its priced $400. You expect a piece of shit. So why cant consoles have higher price if they offer quality. You want quality but for less money. Not gonna happen.

Last edited:

sinnergy

I dont think it would be a disaster if one company declares their console will be higher priced, lets say $100 more. The PS3 shot itself in the foot with pricing because besides blue-ray, it didnt offer anything better and third party games ran better on the cheaper console. If XBX is $500, PS5 can say $600 as long as they got the HW to back it up. If its same same HW on both, then you have a problem. Theres almost 90 million PS4 owners, as I said as long as it offers more its not like the PS4 people would jump shit to xbox because of price difference.

S sinnergy

So you do consider consoles a luxury and somehow luxury = must be cheaper. How does that logic work, you are buying a piece of long lasting HW. 15 years later you people still want to pay $400. Why dont you tell apple to keep their phone prices as iPhone3G instead of bumping them almost every year. A Ferrari is a luxury....you want luxury you pay $200.000. Nobody is asking them to price it lower.

Take a PC for example. Remove the monitor and keyboard/mouse....just the PC itself. What kind of PC do you expect to get when you go into a store and you see its priced $400. You expect a piece of shit. So why cant consoles have higher price if they offer quality. You want quality but for less money. Not gonna happen.
For a necessity people are willing to pay more , you use it everyday, that’s why apple gets away with it, also the target audience is older and has more to spend. Consoles not so much, 399 is the sweet spot . If they launch much more expensive, they will work towards this mark. Hardcore will bite with higher price point , Ferrari’s 🤣 which casual joe can afford those ...

the console business is about volume . The lower the price , the more you sell, more services are sold, more games are sold , that’s their bread and butter.

enough said.

Last edited:
up until recently everyone was saying 399. 499 seems more likely but if x comes out at 500 as well sony is gonna be in trouble as they will lose is power to x and price to s

also regardless of where sony prices it and if xbox series s is cheaper I still predeict ps5 to outsell xbox next gen not as much as this gen but I also think it won't matter as much as xbox users are on pc and xcloud

HeresJohnny

That was before people were paying $900 and up for a cellphone every year :)
Ah, the "Well, cellphones are more expensive" argument. You know what else people pay more for? Vacations. Houses. Vehicles. Hookers and blow. These products (along with the cellphone) have exactly fuck all to do with a game console. People feel they need a cellphone; it's a means of staying connected to the world and it does literally a dozen critical things for most people. People will pay that kind of money because THAT device plays a key role in their day to day lives. Now, where do you suppose a nerd box fits in their lives? Way, way, way down. It's a casual want not a need. People want to play games, but they (assuming they don't frequent game sites and know about Zelda lore) aren't interested enough to pay half a grand for it. Those are the people who CAN pay. There is the rest of the country who couldn't even if they wanted it badly enough, but they're too busy trying to figure out how to get the thousand dollar cell phone to give a fuck.

Seriously, not trying to be mean, but you guys (myself included) live in a bubble related to this hobby. We are not representative of the audience that drives this market in any way.

Top Bottom