• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct: The PS5

Rich and John ( D dark10x ) talk the tech, the specs, Cerny’s vision

ugh meant to expand the title, my phone goofed up

Sorry if old

Sounds like an interview with Cerny is in the pipeline

edit

Hearing the fellas talk about the SSD speed and the additional tech baked into the system to potentially multiply bandwidth does have me feeling a little more excited.

So I guess the “geometry engine” is their version of “mesh shading?”

The audio is gonna be great

Edit 2

NXGamer NXGamer weighs in

Last edited:
People saying the CPU is only 8 threads seem off base according to DF Direct video

zzTWhVz.jpg

Last edited:

GymWolf

Besides D dark10x joke on the start of the video, I agree with him about boost clock being a bold move.
i mean, is it really?
even cerny said that the clock go down for heavy stuff, and what is the most heavy stuff if not exclusive games that push graphics and heavy third party games (or unoptimezed third party games)?
basically we already know for sure that with the most intense games the console won't perform at his best in the most heavy scene...where you ned the max power available :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
there is any other positive way of seeing this?

Last edited:

Mochilador

We'll revisit this comment this holiday ;)
I don't know how much you know about Japanese culture ( MidgarBlowedUp MidgarBlowedUp is an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
The tech behind the SSD speeds on the PS5 is very interesting, maintaining that speed due to thermal will also be interesting. The variable clock speed is a tad be worrisome but devs have come out saying how fast the ps5 is we will see once both these consoles get released how they act in real world.

DF:

Rich: How do we spin this PS5 news?
John: I have no clue, but it's rather interesting the SSD is quick, it'll be hot... Literally. Alex what do you think?
Alex: I'm busy on the XseX leave me alone.

Fake

i mean, is it really?
even cerny said that the clock go down for heavy stuff, and what is the most heavy stuff if not exclusive games that push graphics and heavy third party games (or unoptimezed third party games)?
basically we already know for sure that with the most intense games the console won't perform at his best in the most heavy scene...where you ned the max power available :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
there is any other positive way of seeing this?

I mean, why take risk? Getting a gpu clock boost for testing the cooling limits? PS4 PRO don't have any reputation in that departament, both loud as fuck and sometimes heat.
Think a little. Is that really necessary? Why not just admit that 9TF bs and live with that?

Was in fact a bold move for Sony. They will need a fucking cooling system for that 2GHz and if you add the SSD cost with will be probably more expensive that seX SSD solution and here we go. PS5 could get a high price or similar level as seX.

Sry, but I not seeing much positive in that departament. Maybe the SSD could be a 'game changer' for them, but risking heat problems is a big no for me. They're asking me for wait the revision version of PS5 aka PS5 slim.

Last edited:

O-N-E

To be fair, if Sony came in and smacked the Series X specs, the Sony fanboys would be going goofy about the specs. But since that isn't the case, you're hearing excuses.

Facts are facts.

The Xbox probably has more horsepower overall, the PS5 has the advantage in loading times (it seems). The problem is more how dramatic people are being about it.

Both boxes are so massively powerful. It's cool to know that, but none of us are going to buy either if the games are shit.

That's what we're waiting on.

Shitting on a slightly less powerful box is so dumb. I'm not paying for the Flops.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
To be fair, if Sony came in and smacked the Series X specs, the Sony fanboys would be going goofy about the specs. But since that isn't the case, you're hearing excuses.
Excuses about what exactly? Technologically, PS5 is amazing, regardless of lower TFlops than XSX. Majority of people are disappointed about the presentation.

We still don't know the price, the design of the console, the controller, or any other consumer-facing features whatsoever.

I haven't heard a single knowledgeable source state that PS5's lower GPU performance will have an actual tangible impact on the games.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
Facts are facts.

The Xbox probably has more horsepower overall, the PS5 has the advantage in loading times (it seems). The problem is more how dramatic people are being about it.

Both boxes are so massively powerful. It's cool to know that, but none of us are going to buy either if the games are shit.

Shitting on a slightly less powerful box is so dumb. I'm not paying for the Flops.
Exactly. Xbox has been craving the performance crown since they got owned with the Xbone, and PS fans gloated back then, but the performance of the PS4 was only one in a long list of factors which drove its success combined with many failings on the XBox side.

Sony hasn't done anything wrong yet on the level of Xbone. Not completely ruling out Sony taking a nosedive yet though. haha

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
When talking about how the ps5 ssd could "revolutionise" game development because it would let devs use the ssd drive like an extra pool of RAM, i wish they would clarify in relation to what, are they comparing it to last gen or the xsx?

Also all this custom ssd hardware and custom audio hardware is some what puzzling, cerny has talked about not having "exotic hardware" and while this hardware may not be hard to develop for, it is still custom and the industry has been moving towards having games and engines be as scalable as possible.
Devs are not going do extra work for PS5 exclusive features, 3rd parties will make solutions which work for all platforms.
Its kinda of contradicts what cerny has said.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Excuses about what exactly? Technologically, PS5 is amazing, regardless of lower TFlops than XSX. Majority of people are disappointed about the presentation.

We still don't the price, the design of the console, the controller, or any other consumer-facing features whatsoever.

I haven't heard a single knowledgeable source state that PS5's lower GPU performance will have an actual tangible impact on the games.

This is rather on point. Technically the PS5 is pretty fascinating, sure it's not the "flops" others wish to see because its a simple number to understand but overall the SSDs tech inside the ps5 is amazing. I think Sony needed to shadow drop a BB2 or a Demon Souls or even a tease of any other of their first party game and we wouldn't be worrying about their flops.

GymWolf

I mean, why take risk? Getting a gpu clock boost for testing the cooling limits? PS4 PRO don't have any reputation in that departament, both loud as fuck and sometimes heat.
Think a little. Is that really necessary? Why not just admit that 9TF bs and live with that?

Was in fact a bold move for Sony. They will need a fucking cooling system for that 2GHz and if you add the SSD cost with will be probably more expensive that seX SSD solution and here we go. PS5 could get a high price or similar level as seX.

Sry, but I not seeing much positive in that departament. Maybe the SSD could be a 'game changer' for them, but risking heat problems is a big no for me. They're asking me for wait the revision version of PS5 aka PS5 slim.
i...don't understand if you are with me or not on this...
what i was saying is that who give a fuck if the gpu clock is only damn high with lighter games\scene? what's the point of having a giant boost if you can't use it when it's most needed?

it sound like pr bullshit to not appear like the weaker hardware...

Last edited:

LMJ

I won't lie, I was honestly hoping the playstation 5 would be closer to the series X in overall Terra flops...

Not because it's going to make a humongous difference graphics wise mind you, (there are other factors at work) but because I knew one way or another there would be fanboys just dribbling at the mouth...

People we have yet to see either console in action, and we have yet to see either console show their respective games, let alone their true potential

Can we wait with the fanboy/console war crap until we actually have something?

Fake

i...don't understand if you are with me or not on this...
what i was saying is that who give a fuck if the gpu clock is only damn high with lighter games\scene? what's the point of having a giant boost if you can't use it where it's most needed?
I get your point. I just add what D dark10x saying about the bold move in his video. Lets believe he know what tha fuck he is doing.

GreatnessRD

Facts are facts.

I can agree with that.

We still don't know the price, the design of the console, the controller, or any other consumer-facing features whatsoever.

Excuses that it currently stands, that the Xbox is more power than the PS5. Regardless if Sony can finesse the specs and they run at similar performance. From the raw specs, it appears the Xbox is more powerful. But I personally don't care who is more powerful, I was just pointing out the fact that this board would be jumping for joy if the shoe was on the other foot. And since at the moment it is not, people are bringing up stuff like what you're saying. "Oh well, they probably will be similar in performance after X, Y, Z". That was my point. But again, like I said, I personally don't care. I hope both consoles do well for us the consumers to get a great product.

JLB

Banned
Cool video, and indeed they highlighted a couple of things that were great during the presentation: audio, and of course ssd.
Im personally a big audiophile, so definitely would like to know more about the sony's solution for that. It seems really great.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I really enjoyed the talk .. now this is the real perfect reaction to the reveal .. not crying or screaming or laughing just like what others do here or there , PS5 first reveal of some features and specs are outstanding in terms of SSD , Smart shift between CPU and GPU And the 3D audio.. it’s a game changer

Yet there are more features to come ..
new gen is really exciting already

#Phonepunk#

Banned
listening to this. it's nice. you will rarely find someone better than DF to give the technical lowdown on any given topic.

good to have the facts. interesting how today's speech was originally meant for developers at GDC. lol youtube was full of people going "ZZZZZZ boring!" and they were just ignorant that it wasn't directed at them. this wasn't meant to shadow drop some rad game. this was a technical presentation.

JLB

Banned
listening to this. it's nice. you will rarely find someone better than DF to give the technical lowdown on any given topic.

good to have the facts. interesting how today's speech was originally meant for developers at GDC. lol youtube was full of people going "ZZZZZZ boring!" and they were just ignorant that it wasn't directed at them. this wasn't meant to shadow drop some rad game. this was a technical presentation.

There were people here openly accusing DF members of being Microsoft employees lol.
They made with this video probably one of the best and more positive analysis of ps5 in the web.

Last edited:

RayHell

People are fast at comparing Tflops but forget about gpu clock speed advantage of PS5. Not all game/scenario use max teraflops all the time. And in thoses cases PS5 will compute faster and output a better fps overall. Also a lot of the custom chips is off loading the cpu/gpu from certain load and free more process. PS5 will be a speed beast and will include all my favorite games. Mark Cerny is an amazing architech.

Last edited:
I just need to know the price at this point t

Cool video, and indeed they highlighted a couple of things that were great during the presentation: audio, and of course ssd.
Im personally a big audiophile, so definitely would like to know more about the sony's solution for that. It seems really great.

I always game with a nice headset so I’m super stoked for the audio

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

I admit, I was expecting “PS5 reveal” but this was not it, this was more behind the scene of how they creating PS5 rather than proper reveal.

Cock of War

Ok. Watching the presentation I sort of got what Cerny & co. are trying to do but I lost it after reading all the doomsday talk on here.
This DF video brought it back to me. What I get is they are really going for a paradigm shift in the way data/bandwith is handled and available to the developers, be it RAM or ssd. More efficient handling of RAM. More efficient handling of geometry/culling. Essentially more bang for the buck so to speak.
The boost situation as I understand it is entirely in the hands of the developers, and dependent on power usage, not temperatures i.e. not some weird random throttling, but repeatable and controllable across all consoles. This is maybe the biggest paradigm shift and the hardest to wrap my head around.
What Im getting is that the PS5 will be able to throw massive amounts of data around fast: up on the screen, game/a.i logic, sound etc.
I imagine there will be some impressive games developed with all this in mind, that simply would not be possible on other platforms.

tl;dr Im probably just a Sony fanboy thirsty for some koolaid 😝

The most bizarre thing with this drama is this will actually be one on the closest gens in terms of power. I mean look at how wildly different the PS2 gen was. Or last gen. How about PSX compared to N64? The 360/PS3 parity was actually an anomaly, and even then equal FLOPS on paper resulted in very different outcomes.

sdrawkcab

Banned
It was a fucking GDC conference.

You guys are hilarious.

Hilarious.

The only thing funny here is Sony's machine, and the fanboys who clung to their blind faith going into this, only to leave disappointed.

As far as raw numbers go; this machine is okay for next gen, at best.

Cerny opened his dialogue with the over complications of the PS3, and then proceeded to talk about the lack of simplicity that the PS5 is; "We're giving you guys power...but under these conditions." That's not simplicity. You want simplicity, then listen to Microsoft's approach; "We're giving you power, full stop!" And that's exactly what they're doing. No stipulations, no ifs, buts or maybes. Just raw, stable, unconstrained, non-fluctuating power for developers to do as they please with it. That's a win, in my book.

A more powerful console... Throw back-compat in with that... Throw Xcloud and game streaming in with that, and I don't see how you can go wrong!

People want to talk about games? We hear the trolls all the time "Xbox has no games!" Well guess who's coming out the gate with hundreds of games from the original Xbox, to the Xbox 360, to the Xbox One, and new games from new (and competent studios) for the Xbox Series X? Yup! Guess who doesn't have games now? No, it's not Xbox.

People like to dress up their hurt, but call a spade a spade!

The Xbox Series X, out the gate is a more powerful console, that supports hundreds of games with backward compatibility, game streaming and cross platform with PC! And for those reasons alone, they have earned my money!

Now, can you kindly please stop moving the goalposts and wear your L on your chest like a man.

Kenpachii

The only thing funny here is Sony's machine, and the fanboys who clung to their blind faith going into this, only to leave disappointed.

As far as raw numbers go; this machine is okay for next gen, at best.

Cerny opened his dialogue with the over complications of the PS3, and then proceeded to talk about the lack of simplicity that the PS5 is; "We're giving you guys power...but under these conditions." That's not simplicity. You want simplicity, then listen to Microsoft's approach; "We're giving you power, full stop!" And that's exactly what they're doing. No stipulations, no ifs, buts or maybes. Just raw, stable, unconstrained, non-fluctuating power for developers to do as they please with it. That's a win, in my book.

A more powerful console... Throw back-compat in with that... Throw Xcloud and game streaming in with that, and I don't see how you can go wrong!

People want to talk about games? We hear the trolls all the time "Xbox has no games!" Well guess who's coming out the gate with hundreds of games from the original Xbox, to the Xbox 360, to the Xbox One, and new games from new (and competent studios) for the Xbox Series X? Yup! Guess who doesn't have games now? No, it's not Xbox.

People like to dress up their hurt, but call a spade a spade!

The Xbox Series X, out the gate is a more powerful console, that supports hundreds of games with backward compatibility, game streaming and cross platform with PC! And for those reasons alone, they have earned my money!

Now, can you kindly please stop moving the goalposts and wear your L on your chest like a man.

This exactly what i think, the new PS5 feels more like the PS3 then PS4 by itself. They did a good job on making it so complicated as possible.

Top Bottom