• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring performance: what to expect on PS5, Series X/S and PC

Vaelka

PC performance seems utterly horrible which is sad.
I remember Dark Souls 1 performing poorly too and modders solving it, but the problems here seem worse.

It's kinda infuriating seeing so many people defend it too, there's a difference between being a fan and being a sheep.
You can still think that a game is incredible but also acknowledge that it's kind of shit in some pretty important departments.
Just defending everything and even attacking people for bringing up very genuine problems is pretty cringe and borderline deranged.

Edit: I love Nier Automata for example, but the PC port was just terrible...
I can love the game and still acknowledge that.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I have no idea what some of the comments here are about. I just played the PC version and it was fine. And, don't bother with the 'BUT YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR' nonsense. I know exactly what I'm looking for. There was some minor FPS drops, a few stutters, but this is far, far, far from an utter debacle.

My system:
32gb DDR5
LGC9 w/GSync
Running it from a 2TB NVME

The game might be demanding, and it might perform poorly on modest hardware, but I can't imagine why I'd want to sacrifice the mostly 60fps performance with minimal stuttering and hitching to play it on a PS5 with all of the compromises that entails.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Seen that. The old jack sparrow edition was definitely expected but it was really fast
happy pirates of the caribbean GIF

So I did a quick run through the tutorial and here are some graphics impressions:

1) IMO this game is one of the best art directed games I've ever seen. I can only think of a handful of games that have this kind of skill (R&C is one but it shoots for 3D animation). I MUST buy the physical artbook. This alone could make it win Best Looking Game of 2022.

2) FPS stuttering: it's caused by their streaming system when loading in sections of the game into their memory pool. Mine is very brief but I have 64G of RAM and using a 3090 (24G of VRAM). I suspect there is some optimization that can be done there. It's more than likely a single threaded process so I'd presume for PCs they could expand their cache a little further to keep more of the game in local RAM.

3) Running this game at native 4k is an absolute MUST! It brings every single detail out. The videos destroy the visual showcase here as people are recording the game in non-HDR mode where things are drastically desaturated and just wrong.

4) Ambient Occlusion is in and looks good enough. No need for RT AO here.

5) Please set your HDR settings to a value lower than the middle. The game is naturally bright and the color correction isn't where it's supposed to be on default. This will depend on your TV, but I set mine a few notches lower and results are crisp, saturated and detailed.

6) Texture size is good. I can see the details of the normal maps and foliage is also clear and crisp

7) MORE shadows!!!! If this game had shadow casting lights for every light source, it would go right up the top of my list as the best looking game this generation. The artwork is THAT good.
I thought you said artwork doesn't count towards graphics and unless its new trch or engine is boring last gen stuff..

DavidGzz

You know the more I read the impressions, the more I also start wondering just how this game got reviewed this high and minimal reviews brought up technical deficiencies or docked points for it. They all played before the day 1 patch as well.

Cause it plays fine AF and people are getting upset over some numbers on paper. We loved 10-30 fps Dark Souls on Xbox 360 before DF ever existed. The hyperbole over this is amazing.

Last edited:
I remember Dark Souls 1 performing poorly too and modders solving it, but the problems here seem worse.

It's kinda infuriating seeing so many people defend it too, there's a difference between being a fan and being a sheep.
You can still think that a game is incredible but also acknowledge that it's kind of shit in some pretty important departments.
Just defending everything and even attacking people for bringing up very genuine problems is pretty cringe and borderline deranged.

Edit: I love Nier Automata for example, but the PC port was just terrible...
I can love the game and still acknowledge that.
The performance on PC are so bad that the reviews are now hidden. I don't understand how the game can be getting so much good reviews on PC from the press when you see the state of the game.

VFXVeteran

Banned
So why are you so fucking impressed with this then? I seem to remember you beating up R&C quite a bit when that launched.
I'm impressed with this game because of it's ART! That's what I said. R&C had excellent art too - it just went for CG animation look. People were praising R&C's graphics by emphasizing it's a "tech showcase". It is not. If people praised it for it's art direction, then that would have been another story.

VFXVeteran

Banned
What GPU do you have? I'm having no horrible performance at all. But I have a beefed up system.

VFXVeteran

Banned
The performance on PC are so bad that the reviews are now hidden. I don't understand how the game can be getting so much good reviews on PC from the press when you see the state of the game.
Can you explain your experience with the PC version? What does "so bad" mean?

I'm impressed with this game because of it's ART! That's what I said. R&C had excellent art too - it just went for CG animation look. People were praising R&C's graphics by emphasizing it's a "tech showcase". It is not. If people praised it for it's art direction, then that would have been another story.
Im just going to drop it because ive seen what usually happens when folks argue with you and i dont wanna see 10 pages of that so...later?

I’m really disappointed at the double standards on show from review outlets due to hype. Every other game on the planet would get points knocked off for these performance issues and unstable ports, but Elden Ring just gets away with it.

It may be a masterpiece of gaming, I’ve decided to pick it up and give it a go, but I don’t like it getting a pass for issues which weren’t even mentioned in the majority of reviews.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Im just going to drop it because ive seen what usually happens when folks argue with you and i dont wanna see 10 pages of that so...later?
Yup. There really is no need to argue. The game's art is a different kind of art direction than R&C. ER focuses on detail, weird characters and landscapes with very detailed props. It's not a coloring book kind of art. I happen to be drawn to ER art style. It's still not doing anything technically amazing. Basic tech stuff from last gen but it is the best they've done so far even if they are slow to the party on tech.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I’m really disappointed at the double standards on show from review outlets due to hype. Every other game on the planet would get points knocked off for these performance issues and unstable ports, but Elden Ring just gets away with it.

It may be a masterpiece of gaming, I’ve decided to pick it up and give it a go, but I don’t like it getting a pass for issues which weren’t even mentioned in the majority of reviews.
Just like with Nintendo, performance stops mattering all of a sudden.

Banned
What GPU do you have? I'm having no horrible performance at all. But I have a beefed up system.

I have seen videos of people using high end PCs that literally had IO stutters that lasted SECONDS... as in the game pauses for seconds on end and after that it still had IO stutters.

Just like with Nintendo, performance stops mattering all of a sudden.
Indeed. One of my favourite things about Sony’s first party releases (among specific other devs of course), is that it’s very rare to have performance issues. Their games are almost always rock solid on their FPS target from day one. That’s something I really appreciate feeling confident about when I’m buying a new release.

Buggy Loop

I have no idea what some of the comments here are about. I just played the PC version and it was fine. And, don't bother with the 'BUT YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR' nonsense. I know exactly what I'm looking for. There was some minor FPS drops, a few stutters, but this is far, far, far from an utter debacle.

My system:
32gb DDR5
LGC9 w/GSync
Running it from a 2TB NVME

The game might be demanding, and it might perform poorly on modest hardware, but I can't imagine why I'd want to sacrifice the mostly 60fps performance with minimal stuttering and hitching to play it on a PS5 with all of the compromises that entails.

Question: Do you have the Epic launcher installed?

Lokaum D+

i like those "i got a RTX 4090TI, 346gb DDR9 RAM, i15 1390x and the game runs smooth here, what is ur problem ? " fuck off, 90% of the ppl buying this shit dont have this kind of rig, the game should performe well even on a 3 years old PC, is a fucking DS3 open world, not the new Crysis ffs.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
How can a company with some of the best creative heads in the industry have such an utterly incompetent engine team. From drops the ball with every single game in that regard...
I suspect they have very limited resources in that front.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I have seen videos of people using high end PCs that literally had IO stutters that lasted SECONDS... as in the game pauses for seconds on end and after that it still had IO stutters.
I'm getting them but not seconds. Whatever it is, they have to fix it because it's a bug.

Banned
I'm getting them but not seconds. Whatever it is, they have to fix it because it's a bug.

the second they released those spec recommendations with 16GB of RAM being recommended I knew something will be horribly wrong with how the game streams assets lol in no world should a game like that need that much system memory.

how much does it use during normal play BTW?

3liteDragon

I've seen this with the Dying Light 2 DF analysis too, there's minor stuttering (frame-pacing issues) when entering new areas on console & PC. Why does stuttering happen in some of these games on both platforms & is it more of a DX12 thing on PC & how they compile shaders during gameplay instead of during runtime?

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
i like those "i got a RTX 4090TI, 346gb DDR9 RAM, i15 1390x and the game runs smooth here, what is ur problem ? " fuck off, 90% of the ppl buying this shit dont have this kind of rig, the game should performe well even on a 3 years old PC, is a fucking DS3 open world, not the new Crysis ffs.
Counterpoint: The game running like shit on your potato PC isn't evidence of 'the port being utterly abysmal'. It's evidence that the game doesn't run well on low-end hardware. Both of these notions are not in tension.

VFXVeteran

Banned
How can a company with some of the best creative heads in the industry have such an utterly incompetent engine team. From drops the ball with every single game in that regard...
Agree. They did say they converted their engine to DX12. Man, if they weren't in Japan, I would have helped them dudes out.

VFXVeteran

Banned
the second they released those spec recommendations with 16GB of RAM being recommended I knew something will be horribly wrong with how the game streams assets lol in no world should a game like that need that much system memory.

how much does it use during normal play BTW?
I'm seeing 7G on my end

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Cause it plays fine AF and people are getting upset over some numbers on paper. We loved 10-30 fps Dark Souls on Xbox 360 before DF ever existed. The hyperbole over this is amazing.

It isn't just numbers on paper. The performance is not where it should be. Suggesting that it's ok if a developer after a handful of games because all their games are rough is peak idiocy.

. . . and no, I didn't like the tech on DARK SOULS. Back then you had to deal with; here there's no excuse (since this shit was also in the CNT).

vpance

I got those IO stutters. At least I think that's what they are. Running through the map for the first time it just chugs for 1-2s at certain points.

One part in the tutorial area where it loads to a new section I could repeatedly get it to slow down just running away and coming back to that spot.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

It isn't just numbers on paper. The performance is not where it should be. Suggesting that it's ok if a developer after a handful of games because all their games are rough is peak idiocy.

. . . and no, I didn't like the tech on DARK SOULS. Back then you had to deal with; here there's no excuse (since this shit was also in the CNT).

It's their first open world game and for me it runs amazingly well. Better than Skyrim, Cyberpunk, etc at their respective launches, and those devs had open world history. From software has done an amazing job. Depaite some hiccups it is one of the highest rated games because it is fine overall. People stressing about it are doing themselves a diservice. Sad to see.

It's running great on XSX on my CX. I also played it at work on a 50hz monitor and it was completely fine.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It's this video that had me wondering, I didn't know wtf was going on lol

Wait what? What's wrong with Horizons performance?

Compared to Elden Ring? Its flawless.

Before Elden Ring issues were revealed, it was part of some hot debates about the 60 fps mode. And some over sharpening in resolution mode.

Thats the point some are trying to make.

I have been playing Forbidden West on PS5 in Resolution mode with no problems. Even when I switched to 60 fps....the 30 fps is smooth enough for me its no real difference.

Like how I played Rift Apart at 30 fps.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It's their first open world game and for me it runs amazingly well. Better than Skyrim, Cyberpunk, etc at their respective launches, and those devs had open world history. From software has done an amazing job. Depaite some hiccups it is one of the highest rated games because it is fine overall. People stressing about it are doing themselves a diservice. Sad to see.

It's running great on XSX on my CX. I also played it at work on a 50hz monitor and it was completely fine.

Fine for you. You're okay with the performance, many others aren't. What should be an Overwhelmingly Positive on STEAM is now mixed for exactly what BANDAI NAMCO intimated the day one patch would solve.

. . .and again, first open world or not that they haven't learned ANY lessons from their previous outings is a shame and should have been called out by the press. Pointing this out doesn't make someone hyperbolic or suggest the underlying game itself is bad.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Put in a couple hours on PC. Performance is... uneven. Not like, bad or unplayable, but yeah it'll drop to like 40fps for a second with the shader compilation stuff.

Compared to some of the performance issues we've seen with some games that might feel petty, and the game does "mostly" run at 60fps, but it's a visible flaw in an otherwise highly polished experience.

Top Bottom