• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring performance: what to expect on PS5, Series X/S and PC

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I just create a character (prisoner) and did a quick session on PS5, it feel quite smooth for now, didn't see any stutter. Can't play more right now, i'll confirm in a few hours after work.

Swift_Star

Banned
These things should be judged based on the resources and benchmarks of what is available/achievable at the time. OOT was a technical marvel when looking at the hardware it ran on. If it released today for the first time, there is absolutely no way it would get as high a score as it did, but it shouldn't be retroactively marked down due to that.
Actually this just helps cementing the fact that people don't actually care about framerate that much.

acidagfc

Was there any comparison of load times between native PS5 and PS4-on-PS5 versions? I'd very much prefer a stable 60 with lower resolution, but if load times are bad on it, then maybe native version is superior?

Kuranghi

If the drops to 55 on PS5 are during really heavy scenes with loads of enemies or alpha right next to the screen for a second then fair enough, obviously thats not the end of the world, but if its dropping a 1-5 frames every 20 seconds as you run around the world thats rubbish imo and I will wait for a fix, which will be a resolution/settings reduction for Perf mode unfortunately no doubt. I'm guessing its the latter from what I've seen of footage from reviews but will be good to confirm it when it comes out later on today.

Even if they added a 30fps cap for Quality mode this isn't the game you want to be playing at 30fps if you don't have to, so I wouldn't use that anyway. I can accept that japanese games, and specifically FROM games will these problems, amazing art style seen though a lens of crap framerate. I can accept that reality, but if my input lag is constantly changing due to small frames drop thats terrible in a game like this imo, so if no console fix comes I will wait til I can brute force through the issues on PC (with fan patch help if FROM don't fix PC ver).

SirTerry-T

They aren't ignoring the criticisms. They just aren't technically good enough to make a game with good performance. It's why this was said.....

Well then they hire staff to fill those roles, there must be plenty of technical artists, engine coders who would kill to get their teeth into these franchises. There really isn't any excuse. Look at all the crap Western Devs get for the same issues.

Mr Moose

Was there any comparison of load times between native PS5 and PS4-on-PS5 versions? I'd very much prefer a stable 60 with lower resolution, but if load times are bad on it, then maybe native version is superior?
Not sure if there's been any improvements, but it's decent on PS5, didn't see PS4 tested though (skimmed through the video).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wtf is VRR?

Variable refresh rate, this 2020 video from DF should give you the basics.

TL;DR it's technology which changes your monitors refresh rate along with the game so there is no mismatch and judder of say, a 50 fps output showing visible judder on a 60hz screen. Basically to the human eye it makes performance drops from mismatching of game and display refresh rate disappear. It also completely eliminates screen tearing.

Neo_game

No game should be getting such high scores with such sub-standard performance. XSX in particular looks like it got the wrong end of a shitty stick here. 10/10s just get thrown around too easily these days it would seem.

Still, you can’t argue with a consensus like this. I never got into any Souls style game, so not sure this is for me.

But if it’s your bag ladies and gentlemen, enjoy! Looks like you are in for a treat!

Personally I do not get the fuss is about the fps and obviously I am not a competitive player as well. I think reviews are for normal people who are also not too into these things either. Though frame pacing can be annoying. IMO these days people have got programmed to higher fps some how their brain doesn't seem to adjust few ms. Hopefully devs can fix it

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You don't think its embarrassing for Devs to release titles that they know will show their technical shortcomings????
Okay....

Its not embarrassing in the slightest.

What it shows is the primary focus of development is executing the game design above all other considerations. That they are prepared not to compromise their vision even if it results in less than perfect performance is actually admirable if you think about it.

acidagfc

Not sure if there's been any improvements, but it's decent on PS5, didn't see PS4 tested though (skimmed through the video).

Thanks, non-native version will definitely load slower then. Oof, that's a pickle.
Well, I finished Bloodborne multiple times, this one won't be worse.

lucius

Technical disaster of the generation !

Jk, I still playing it but I was watching Alanah playing it on PC and it looks strange those stutters wth I guess that’s frame pacing issue no idea.

Outlier

Oofy!
Thankfully I have it waiting for me on PC, so I'll be able to adjust to get a stable 60FPS experience.

Horizon FW and this are great examples of last-gen versions being ported with upgrades to the current systems not being such a great idea.

I'm guessing the real issues comes from game engines being out of shape or the devs aren't concerned with a smooth experience.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Well, I’m not actually saying they are good enough to be clear. I’m just not convinced they are not. I’m seeing a Uber high scoring game get roasted by a few people over the frame rate, and I am suggesting we should not assume they screwed up. They very well may have pushed as far as they could somewhere else with this being deemed an acceptable trade off.

Personally I think the bolded is exactly what's happening.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Its not embarrassing in the slightest.

What it shows is the primary focus of development is executing the game design above all other considerations. That they are prepared not to compromise their vision even if it results in less than perfect performance is actually admirable if you think about it.

Come on. If this weren't ER would you really be giving the developer so much slack?

. . . these are issues that have been in every FS game in modern memory and they STILL refuse to address it. As good as a game is, if there are performance issues that break immersion it should be roundly called out.

And "compromise their vision" - hooboy. The last gen versions of this game exist so clearly they are ok tweaking graphical fidelity to get the game running. So they excuse is out the window (and doesn't explain why a simple frame rate lock isn't an option for consoles or why the performance issues exist on PC with seemingly unlimited hardware).

Banned
One X has VRR (FreeSync), it's a last gen feature that Sony is dragging their feet on because of their TVs. And we don't even know if they'll support FreeSync when they do add it :messenger_weary: (I have a 165Hz FreeSync monitor).

you'd first have to make sure your monitor supports freesync over HDMI. many PC monitors only support VRR over Display Port sadly

Romulus

I'm surprised the game has framerate issues on next gen considering something like Horizon looks far better + more stable.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Been watching CohhCarnage play the game for a couple of hours on PC and its been super smooth so far, EXCEPT this one boss underground where the game started freezing for like 2 or 3 seconds at a time, out of the blue. Restrating the gamre fixed it completely which sounds very much like a memory leak.
I'm watching Toast play it, not the best looking game but seems a step up from Dark Souls.

you'd first have to make sure your monitor supports freesync over HDMI. many PC monitors only support VRR over Display Port sadly
I think it does, I'll have to check, it's a BenQ MOBIUZ EX2710S
Edit:Yup, FreeSync over HDMI, G-Sync DisplayPort only.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Personally I do not get the fuss is about the fps and obviously I am not a competitive player as well. I think reviews are for normal people who are also not too into these things either. Though frame pacing can be annoying. IMO these days people have got programmed to higher fps some how their brain doesn't seem to adjust few ms. Hopefully devs can fix it
Problem is that From games never had a good performance, its was ok in 2007 but we are at 2022 and From is a AAA dev, not some indie company out there.

30fps is OK when the frame pacing is locked at place, now when u have a 30fps quality mode ( or 60fps performance ), unlocked framerate, frame pacing is everywhere and u have stutters on top, then its hard to defend this kind of shit when a lot of games out there offers better IQ and has better performance.

And remember that From dont have a good record when it comes to "fix their games"

Last edited:

nikos

It's a deal breaker for me.

PC is locked at 60 with no ultrawide support. Would have bought it if it at least supported ultrawide.

Almost considered console, assuming it would run at a solid 60, but it doesn't. You'd think that would have been a priority considering the game requires precise inputs.

Going to wait and see if the modding community can do anything before buying it, even though I'd rather not support these types of PC ports altogether. I've purchased pretty much all of From and Bandai's major games. Modding them has become a bother at this point.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Last gen version the best?

melissa mccarthy wtf GIF

Kuranghi

Well then they hire staff to fill those roles, there must be plenty of technical artists, engine coders who would kill to get their teeth into these franchises. There really isn't any excuse. Look at all the crap Western Devs get for the same issues.

I've been wondering why they don't do that, just head hunt the best tech guys from wherever they need to to get up to speed with the west in this regard, but I can only imagine theres a few factors stopping that:

* Money, maybe the salary they can afford to pay doesn't attact the best people, even though you'd think working with such a respected developer would be attractive these aren't art people we're talking about so maybe its one and the same for them to work in America/Europe in terms of job satisfaction
* They feel like its not worth getting involved with it because you'd have to rebuild so much from scratch to fix the underlying issues or maybe thats what blocks the devs from hiring the external tech guy, because then they would be effectively saying "You/we did a crap job, we need help" which is insulting to your employees
* Even if they had the technical guy the changes he suggests to make might not fit with their workflow and would cause more harm than good

mckmas8808

Thankfully I have HFW and GT7 to play

I will wait a bit on Elden Ring to get some additional patches, maybe it’ll never come. Probably wait a few months at most to see how things settle

I've never been a SoulsBorne fan, but I want to be. But I refuse to buy their games, until they fix these framerate and frame pacing issues first.

BigLee74

Watch the reviews and tell me if you can notice framedrops. The PS5 is 55-60 fps during the worst combat encounters. Thats way above what previous GOAT contenders used to run at in the PS1 and PS2 days when dipping to sub 20 fps was more or less normal for ambitious games.

This whole fascination with a LOCKED 60 fps is beyond me. 55 FPS already is a massive upgrade over 30 fps. Throughout the history of console gaming, most 60 fps titles didnt run at a locked 60 fps. You basically have to look at fighting games and some racing racing games like GT that had locked 60 fps framerates.

Most people reviewed this game on the PS5 where it plays way better than it wouldve at 30 fps like previous FromSoft games. Bloodborne and Dark Souls 1 are considered GOAT here. Go look at how poorly Dark Souls performed in Blighttown. 15 fps at best. So whats 55 fps?

I struggle to tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps on my phone. 😂

On a tv screen, playing a game, I notice however. And that includes a drop from 60 to mid 50s. The judder is real. I would be able to tolerate it if it was now and again, but not constantly.

YMMV.

is this the same as patch 1.02? https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/elden-ring/news/elden-ring-patch-notes-version-102
says app version 1.02 but then Regulation Ver. 1.02.1.

Major items included in the latest update:
  • Improved player controls
  • Addition and adjustment of BGM
  • Text adjustments
  • Balance adjustments
  • NPC event fixes and adjustments
  • Fixed frame rate drops under certain conditions
  • Fixed text bug in some languages
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the Xbox wireless headset from working properly
or is this the same patch that is being/has been tested? come on framerate! jeez! got a series x but no VRR tv yet.

Stuart360

Fcking reviewers! How on earth is such bad performance not affecting the scores? Its unbelievable how some are harsh towards some games and ignore it with others.

In 2022 these things should be sorted out
Hype, mixed with a bit of the Souls games having a rabid fanbase, mixed with a bit of reviewers not really understanding framerates (or caring), mixed in with a little bit of them expecting any problems to be fixed with patches.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"- Nothing was changed from Beta"

Fucking from man. Hire some competent engine programmers already

To be fair this video does not cover the day 1 patch lol.

From specifically asked DF not to do a full tech video so here's hoping the patch comes with substantial improvements.

mckmas8808

Oofy!
Thankfully I have it waiting for me on PC, so I'll be able to adjust to get a stable 60FPS experience.

Horizon FW and this are great examples of last-gen versions being ported with upgrades to the current systems not being such a great idea.

I'm guessing the real issues comes from game engines being out of shape or the devs aren't concerned with a smooth experience.

I'm noticing that there's a subset of people that are obsessed with making Horizon 2 some broken game. I wonder why........

Top Bottom