• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring performance: what to expect on PS5, Series X/S and PC

Mr Moose

To be fair this video does not cover the day 1 patch lol.

From specifically asked DF not to do a full tech video so here's hoping the patch comes with substantial improvements.
The video on the page is 3 months old, from the beta.

However, even running on the launch day patch 1.02, the frame-rate mode continues to run at a range of 45-60fps on PS5 and Series X, while the quality modes on each range between 30-60fps.

GHG

Fucks sake. Now I'm conflicted on which version to get. Will probably start with the PC version and see how it goes since I can easily refund it on Steam if need be.

Last resort is the PS4 version on the PS5 then I guess... These guys really need to sort their shit out on a technical level.

Stuart360

Fucks sake. Now I'm conflicted on which version to get. Will probably start with the PC version and see how it goes since I can easily refund it on Steam if need be.

Last resort is the PS4 version on the PS5 then I guess... These guys really need to sort their shit out on a technical level.
PC version seems good, except a possible memory leak after a couple of hours of play. Restrating the game sems to fix it though, and its a little annoying but i'd rather have it like that than constant judder city with framerates almost constantly under 60.

Boneless

A game can be as great as it is, but such a level of performance (across all platforms) should be reflected in the Metacritic reviews and average.

And no, it is not "super playable", it is playable in the way of past times that are no longer acceptable.

The favorable treatment is so clear that Fromsoftware itself no longer worries about improving that section in its next project because it knows that it does not penalize it.

The lack of criticism from many fans and media press It is the first step so that in their next game they blatantly neglect the performance part again.
297.png

Codes 208

Right now my dilema is would this run better on a series s or xbox one x?

(Ps5/ps4 is not an option for me, and i plan on getting the pc version a little later)

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
only if you own an Xbox One X.
you would need to install the game on a USB drive using an Xbox One X. then move the drive to the Series X (or install internally and then send it over the network)

then on Series X you will be asked to "upgrade" when you start the game, decline that, and it should launch the One X version.

the issue it can have (not all games do that but some do) is that it will force you into offline mode. meaning no online functionality available during play.

not every game does that but most of them do. it's basically down to the developers, most don't care and so most games force you into offline mode

Thanks for this, I thought it would work. If i need to i will do this.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm seriously debating getting this on PS4 now. What a disaster that the game doesn't even have settings options to hit a stable 60 in the PS5 version, considering the PS4 version exists.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Come on. If this weren't ER would you really be giving the developer so much slack?

. . . these are issues that have been in every FS game in modern memory and they STILL refuse to address it. As good as a game is, if there are performance issues that break immersion it should be roundly called out.

And "compromise their vision" - hooboy. The last gen versions of this game exist so clearly they are ok tweaking graphical fidelity to get the game running. So they excuse is out the window (and doesn't explain why a simple frame rate lock isn't an option for consoles or why the performance issues exist on PC with seemingly unlimited hardware).

Their engine isn't brilliant, its a fair point. However you can't really expect every team to produce results of equal quality and performance. Sure, you could argue that say their tech isn't nearly as good as say, Remedy's. But by the same token I think you could argue that FROM do a bunch of things in their games much better than what Remedy does in theirs.

I also think you kinda prove my point by referencing how this is pretty much expected for a FROM title. It is simply a product of what they value in their work. For example: Blighttown. That area ran like shit at the time of its release, and so, that they chose to leave it as-is, and didn't redesign the area (specifically the descent down into it) in order to mitigate the performance issues can not be construed as anything other than a considered trade-off.

This is what I was getting at by a refusal to compromise the design goals.

Just think about how variable resource/draw-load is on their games. Apart from the normal pretty big fluctuations in drawing the world, there's also a pretty considerable additional level of variance due to the need to support all the spells, effects and weapons of both the player and co-op and PVP partners, enemies and whatnot.

Never forget that if you start down the path of chasing a "perfect" frame-rate you need to factor in the worst-case load scenario at all times! Now this isn't impossible, but obviously the less constrained things are the harder it gets, and possibly even more dangerously the bigger the delta between "normal" and maximum load, the harder you need to globally cut-back in order to ensure you always stay in budget.

Bottom line: they basically accept that taking a hit on consistency of frame-rate is the lesser evil when compared with making tough cut-backs in order to offer the smoothest performance. That's their creative choice, and how they roll.

Landero

Neo Member
So I'm a little confused. I have both ps5 and XSX. Most people are concerned about 60fps but If I want to play in quality mode, which I do, which version will be best? I also have a tv that supports VRR.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
You say that but didn't some modder fix bloodbourne with that eventually getting patched in?

If you have a hacked ps4 you can use the fan patch. Otherwise it’s 1080p/ 30 fps even on ps5. And it still has awful frame pacing issues from launch.

I would hope that FROM will fix this game’s issues everywhere but they have proven to be unreliable in fixing their framerate issues.

Last edited:

Fredrik

How’s the framepacing issues on PC with gsync?

Edit: described in the article:
”Variable refresh rate monitors using G-Sync or Freesync help alleviate a level of the distracting nature of some of these issues”

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm having a hard time remembering a FROM game that didn't have performance issues at launch. Maybe Sekiro? I still remember what Blighttown was like on the 360 back in the day, but that one was probably the most egregious.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I don't get why they decided to go with dx12 instead of dx11. I mean, being lower level means it's easier to optimize it better right? but also easier to fuck it up of you don't know what you are doing... which might as well be the case here.

Also... Are any of you going to hold on and wait for patches? Seems like the most sensible thing to do... But I don't think I will.

Last edited:

scydrex

Will try the PS5 version in performance... Sony should add the VRR supoort. I have a Sony X900h and it have VRR. The PS5 60fps with VRR would have been good. I prefer to be 60fps locked but in the meanwhile they fix the performance it woule have been more enjoyable.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Too much to do just fire it up on ps5 and have a better experience. TBH I have no idea why from soft of all people is trying to incorporate ray tracing in this game. As far as tech goes they are not it. Gameplay yes technology….. no. There going to tank the frame rate with a RT patch.
I would think the RT is ONLY on the PC and ONLY after DLSS patch. All they need is RT shadows for the light sources to make the game look good.

Fredrik

Far more games were 20 and below than 30 and 60. Bet.
I don’t want to bet on it, I didn’t have it long enough to judge the complete library, I know that Super Mario 64 was 25fps on PAL consoles though, and Forsaken was 50fps, iirc Donkey Kong was 25fps as well. Wave Race might’ve been 17fps though, possibly Golden Eye too, maybe Turok.
Either way, what I’m saying is that games can get high scores even with framerate issues.
BOTW had lots of sub 30fps areas. Shadow of the Colossus must’ve been sub 20fps. Bloodborne was 30fps with constant framepacing issues. FF7 had like 15fps battles. Etc.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Either way, what I’m saying is that games can get high scores even with framerate issues.
BOTW had lots of sub 30fps areas. Shadow of the Colossus must’ve been sub 20fps. Bloodborne was 30fps with constant framepacing issues. FF7 had like 15fps battles. Etc.
Oh I agree there. People acting like and saying this is exclusive to FROM are being salty derps.

Performance issues are never taken into account for reviews anymore, unless the game is all out broken (minus Cyberpunk). We are more enthusiasts, the general public or "reviewers" usually are not and those things tend to not bother them, at all.

Last edited:

LavosBit

Neo Member
So are ER’s issues due to DX12? I remember when the Resident Evil 2 remake came out that you had the option between DX11 or 12, and the former ran much better for me.

Fredrik

How likely is it that we’ll get performance patches after launch?
Isn’t FROM known for never revisiting released games? or maybe it was just Miyazaki

GHG

I'm seriously debating getting this on PS4 now. What a disaster that the game doesn't even have settings options to hit a stable 60 in the PS5 version, considering the PS4 version exists.

Wait... Is what's on the OP no longer true about the PS4 version running well on the PS5?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I've been watching some PC gameplay videos posted in the past 24hrs and there wasn't anything egregious concerning shader compilation. Although 2 of them had pretty good CPUs. I noticed when the player emerged from a cave in the overworld and ran up on some birds it lags a moment, but when he runs up on some more birds it doesn't. That could be what they're talking about. IIRC The Ascent had this issue on GP PC with DX12 being forced. It was really horrible until you traversed those areas. Like every 3 secs you'd hitch. This doesn't look nearly as bad. We'll find out in about 5hrs.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Wait... Is what's on the OP no longer true about the PS4 version running well on the PS5?
Maybe my post was worded strangely. I just meant, it's odd that you can't just buy the PS5 version and toggle between a performance mode that works as well as the PS4 one, or a quality mode. You have to literally buy the PS4 version. It's just annoying.

GHG

Maybe my post was worded strangely. I just meant, it's odd that you can't just buy the PS5 version and toggle between a performance mode that works as well as the PS4 one, or a quality mode. You have to literally buy the PS4 version. It's just annoying.

But when you buy the PS4 version you also get the PS5 version included I think?

Outlier

I'm noticing that there's a subset of people that are obsessed with making Horizon 2 some broken game. I wonder why........
I'm playing it right now and it's the only game I've been playing, since it came out and I'm enjoying it.

Can you please share what you might be WONDERING about?

I don't spend my money to come up with nonexistent issues to complain about, if that's what you're worried about.

Woggleman

Is the game performance really this bad or is it just people freaking over a few lost frames in one small section? There is a difference.

vpance

It's still completely locking up for seconds at a time on Cohn's stream. Maybe something in his stream setup making it worse.

FrankWza

If 'nothing changed from the beta' as to performance profiles, DF beta analysis findings still stand true then; slightly higher resolution with DRS on PS5 along with up to 5-10 FPS better performance. Would be better to add the video to OP i think.

The NT worked well on PS5. The only slowdown was during high traffic sessions and mostly during respawn or resting. The workaround may be to turn off network features and play the game offline. I wouldn’t be surprised if that is what is causing the PS5 to dip to 55. It might be a locked 60 playing offline. Lots of people play offline first play through anyway.

Top Bottom