• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Immortals Phoenix Rising PS5/Xbox Series S/X vs Switch

From DF:

Ubisoft Quebec crafts a beautiful new world to explore in Immortals: Fenyx Rising - and it's a blast to play at 60FPS on PS5 and Xbox Series X/S. Of course there's more than a passing resemblance in style - and not to mention its physics-based puzzles - with Zelda: Breath of the Wild. The fact there's a Switch version is remarkable however; it's a game based on the latest AnvilNEXT engine tech that truly stretches the system. Does it run well? Or it least passably well? Tom and John combine forces to find out.

Thanks to Tom Morgan and D dark10x for the content

Summary:

- Both XsX and PS5 run in dynamic 4k on Performance Mode
- Lowest pixel count was around 1440p, highest was native 4k (rare cases), runs mostly around 1620p on both PS5 and XsX
- 60 fps locked on both PS5 and XsX
- They observed screen tearing in a specific scenario (instances when dynamic resolution changes quickly and drastically like when looking at sky then looking straight down) on both Series X and PS5. Same on both. Rare in typical gameplay.
- Very well optimized on all NG consoles

- Quality Mode aims for 4k but locks at 30 fps, maintains 4k well on both XsX and PS5. Locked 4k as far as Tom can tell but says there could possible be small dips
- 30 FPS lock on both XsX and PS5, no drops

- Series S - Dynamic 1080p, lowest pixel count was 720p in Performance mode. Can go as high as 1440p in Quality mode

Loading Times:

w46FHaE.png

- PS5: 12:10
- Series X - 12:39
- Series S - 13:04
- Switch - 44:09

Switch Version

xtjaSXC.png

- Drastically scaled back geometry, foliage density, texture detail (especially at distance)
- Basically everything in the distance is scaled down
- SSR gone, shadow quality lowered
- Dynamic 720p while docked
- Framerate dips below 30 and resolution doesn't seem to drop as aggressively as you would expect to compensate
- Peaks at 504p in portable mode
- Framerate typically below 30
- 20-30 FPS range in any given situation
- Frame pacing issues as well

k1nwbnc.png

Bring on the Switch Pro. The sooner, the better.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT

For those wondering how XsX and PS5 stack up to PC:

here are 1440p/Very High GPU benchmarks with an i9 CPU

a 2080 averages 70 FPS at 1440p/Very High. PS5 and XsX average 1620p (can go lower, can go higher) at locked 60fps. Pretty nice

8NMD48U.png

Last edited:
Ps5 is pretty impressive expecially when everyone is chanting that ps5 is weaker because it has not got unified caches or theres some features removed from the cpu. But its intriguing how ps5 is made to just 2 b as strong or keeping up with the series x or in some cases be more stronger then series x

Last edited:
Interesting that they now say the Xbox and PS5 versions are the same, must have been some more optimization on Xbox to bring it up to par.

yeah, they mention that this is the latest version of the game, and things have changed since launch

interesting

Great game for anyone interested, definitely recommend it

I like the game a lot, and it can commonly be found for around 40 bucks or less. I am gonna Plat it on PS5 this week

Last edited:
Ps5 is pretty impressive expecially when everyone is chanting that ps5 is weaker because it has not got unified caches or theres some features removed from the cpu. But its intriguing how ps5 is made to just 2 b as strong or keeping up with the series x or in some cases be more stronger then series x

well, these are still crossgen games. It will get interesting when we will have true nextgen games using nextgen engines. 😉

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You know, it's interesting to see XBox loading times being pretty much the same as PS5's. We've been seeing that constantly accross all multiplat games. Either them being on par or with such a small difference not worth even mentioning. Nice for the X.
Loading is exactly what they should be related to the storage speeds of the machines. They will be further apart in games that take longer to load. The question is how many games will have long load times this gen to really see the difference?

Valt7786

Holy shit. That pic of Switch's game in the lake looks like a PS2 game. Zero detail in the background.
I love my switch for its portability and that, but other than that it really is a garbage piece of gaming tech, compared to everything else out there. I'm sure there's phones that can do better than the switch now.

I mean, 720p DOCKED? 720 in handheld would be fine, but in "home console" mode? That should be unnacceptable nowadays.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I love my switch for its portability and that, but other than that it really is a garbage piece of gaming tech, compared to everything else out there. I'm sure there's phones that can do better than the switch now.
That is the Nintendo way. Great for:

- first party games
- portability (Switch or their numerous handhelds)
- hardware always seems $100-200 cheaper than PS or Xbox

Not great for:

- everything else such as high budget games, visuals, online, third party game selection. The core audience is so limited it's game appeal, EA doesn't even spam their million EA Sports on Nintendo systems. All they do is I think FIFA and thats it. And it's always a last gen game engine version of FIFA.

Last edited:

Mmnow

You know, it's interesting to see XBox loading times being pretty much the same as PS5's. We've been seeing that constantly accross all multiplat games. Either them being on par or with such a small difference not worth even mentioning. Nice for the X.
It was always pretty obvious that the jump between last gen hard drives and any SSD was going to be bigger than the difference between PS5 and Xbox Series X.

There's probably some wiggle room for both, since neither is taking full advantage of their respective IO solutions yet, but it's never going to be so bad as to be a specific selling point for either.

720p series s is good vibes?
Why do you guys still not get that the Series S is for people who don't give a shit about graphics?

If I have a $200 TV that barely reaches 1080p, I'm not going to give a crap if the Series S occasionally drops to 720p. And if I did care, there's always quality mode.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Please tell me it looks dog shit because of YouTube compression/printscreen?
Damn.
Yes, I could tell you that it is because of youtube compression.

But I would be lying.

Here is a direct comparison with other console versions. You really see how much detail you lose just to get it to run on a weaker console.

zlSO0G0.png

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Witcher 3 looks absolutely abysmal as well on the switch.

VocIsoz.png

G9Wkq1N.png

Mortal Kombat too.

F8DDQmL.jpg
Hmm they should bundle glasses with switch, because this is how I see without them. Damn why do people keep buying this, are they are not concerned how much money they are shelling out for something which is like Xbox 0.5?

gundalf

If you only have a Switch or have the requirement to be able to play on the go, then hey all things considered the Switch port is pretty decent. But yeah, it's about time that we get a Switch Pro, just for sake of hitting 1080p. On the other hand the next-gen ports disappointingly only improve IQ and with some more effects here and there, but don't do anything ground breaking :-/

Last edited:
It was always pretty obvious that the jump between last gen hard drives and any SSD was going to be bigger than the difference between PS5 and Xbox Series X.

There's probably some wiggle room for both, since neither is taking full advantage of their respective IO solutions yet, but it's never going to be so bad as to be a specific selling point for either.

I am curious to see if anything changes when we get NG only multi-platform games

I am playing on my PS5, in Performance Mode, and I think it looks pretty good. Great draw distance

Last edited:

Mmnow

I am curious to see if anything changes when we get NG only multi-platform games
Things will only get faster. Honestly, all the talk about transfer speeds only really applies if you're looking at 24gb Word documents. The ideal circumstances are ridiculously rare, and don't factor in every single other process that these consoles have to do.

PS5 will probably end up with the fastest loading game of the generation, but it'll be by milliseconds, maybe seconds and certainly not half of what's happening on Xbox.

DJ12

I guess we need to assume the lower shadow quality on series x has been resolved also considering df have claimed there's parity lol

Or maybe these technical 'experts' missed it.

Last edited:

Another 12 pages incoming or not?

VG Tech is usually open to going back and re-testing games after updates/patches, wonder if he will give this game another look

FrankWza

When was the last time that you went into a thread and not proceeded to console war?
Example? Because as far as I can tell there’s plenty of comments about the switch being 720p and that not a new gen console. Did you call out those posts for “war” comments?

DJ12

VG Tech is usually open to going back and re-testing games after updates/patches, wonder if he will give this game another look
I hope so, as Tom Morgan has FIFA 21 pegged as 4K on series S.

If he's responsible for the pixel count, you can hazard a guess it's wrong.

Top Bottom