• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Intel Arc A770 vs Triple-A gaming

Buggy Loop

DF Sponsored by Intel

This is a 1080p-1440p card but it performs quite well actually after a few driver revisions.

Richard made a rig that makes sense for mid-range GPU (no sense putting a 7950X CPU) - Bench rig - i5 12400f, 16GB DDR4 3200

He uses most of the console's equivalent settings and often the performance is locked at 60 fps with no frame-time problems at 1440p, 30 fps most of the time at 4k (much like consoles..)

It's scaling well with RT games, RT cores more akin to Nvidia's than AMD.

Out of context to this video but there's also the recent revamp of their DX9 game performances in new drivers with a nice boost and more importantly, much better frametimes, At the time of DF's video the drivers were not out.

xU7gRZhc7ehUNqLbmLFrFg-970-80.png.webp

S9jqUMaje8XwdAtbDf8ugg-970-80.png.webp

NrY4yyqx6Zz4bMdm3p4V8h-970-80.png.webp

It's a good alternative for a balanced power mid range PC. Not sure the pricing makes sense now with the rebates that RDNA 2 has currently, and it's late to the party, but it's an interesting first iteration and their driver team are catching up quickly. To even have that RT & ML level on first iteration when the other players have decades of experience behind them, is quite impressive.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Get this shit outta here.
Console fanboys told me I needed to spend 3000 dollars to match consoles.
This cat is using a 12400F, B660M and an A770, an A770!
Yet he is getting really good performance in multiple games?
Only Cyberpunk was really missing from his benchmarks.

And wasnt there a thread on here telling us PC Gaming is bullshit because a midrange GPU cant play most new games due to requirements.
Said thread also mentioned that the GTX 1060 a mid/low range card from 6 years ago couldnt run new games at max settings which is proof PC gaming is a scam.

On Topic
This is the kind of content I think more people on this forum need to actually watch.
You dont need to have the greatest CPU/GPU/RAM/MOBO combo to enjoy PC gaming.
The joys of PC gaming is you can min/max settings and hardware to get the perfect framerate for you.
Gotta admit i had my doubts with Intel at launch, but the A770 is proving itself to be a beyond decent midranger.
There is hope the B series cards will have some chips that are closer to the mid/upper range of GPUs.

And wasnt there a thread on here telling us PC Gaming is bullshit because a midrange GPU cant play most new games due to requirements.
Said thread also mentioned that the GTX 1060 a mid/low range card from 6 years ago couldnt run new games at max settings which is proof PC gaming is a scam.

On Topic
This is the kind of content I think more people on this forum need to actually watch.
The joys of PC gaming is you can min/max settings and hardware to get the perfect framerate for you.
Gotta admit i had my doubts with Intel at launch, but the A770 is proving itself to be a beyond decent midranger.
There is hope the B series cards will have some chips that are closer to the mid/upper range of GPUs.
Lol. PC gaming is so dependant on drivers.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

On Topic
The problem with Arc GPUs is that they're still broken in DX11 and that's a lot of games. The second problem is that their drivers aren't up to par with AMD/NVIDIA just yet so you're gonna end up spending a lot of time troubleshooting.

From what I've researched (and have a friend who owns one), regular users should stick to AMD/NVIDIA for now. Advanced users can probably deal with the current issues but at least this bodes well for their second generation GPUs (Battlemage I think?).

Skifi28

Wow, did a console take a shit in your cereal this morning?

nowhat

this bodes well for their second generation GPUs (Battlemage I think?)
You said the magic word, this is a DF topic, I'm obliged to link it.

(Not that I have any kind of animosity towards that game, also it has been patched since. Haven't played it. But just reading "battlemage" within a DF context always reminds me of the video above.)

Cryio

I'm glad there's a 3rd player in any market really.

Intel has a ton of work to do on drivers, but I'm glad their current GPUs support all the latest tech available at least.

The fact the A770 is pushing above 3060 and RX 6650 XT at similar-ish prices, especially in RT, is quite impressive.

FSR2 is still the tech to beat, being 95% the quality of DLSS2 while running fast on any architecture, while XeSS is only great on Arc GPUs. And probably Tiger/Alder Lake iGPUs also.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I very much want Intel to succeed here and open a third tier to the market, hopefully one that does well enough to steal market shares and force gpu prices down.

intbal

You said the magic word, this is a DF topic, I'm obliged to link it.

(Not that I have any kind of animosity towards that game, also it has been patched since. Haven't played it. But just reading "battlemage" within a DF context always reminds me of the video above.)

The patch didn't help.
The game is nearly unplayable on Xbox because the game's brightness is broken. There's an entire level (Soddentrod Swamp) where all you see is black. You have to identify enemy locations from weapon effects. The Playstation version doesn't have this problem.
That's just the visuals. It's also a really terrible game with a complicated and unexplained spell crafting system.
Also, you will never encounter bullet sponges as extreme as in Lichdom Battlemage.
Don't play it. If you do, make sure you're on playstation or pc.

Note: I beat the game out of pure hatred.

Black_Stride

Wow, did a console take a shit in your cereal this morning?
No.
But this thread sure did:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/enou...s-and-their-motherfucking-stuttering.1646909/

I agree with all the shader stutter hate, I agree with legit bad ports.
But saying you cant "max out" games thus they are all unoptimized and all PC gaming is scam, while also having a shitty CPU/GPU is why my cereal was thick and brown this morning.

<---Not a PC fanboy, just an Anti-Anti-PC gaming acolyte.

P.S: Nvidia can go fuck themselves.

Last edited:

Gaiff

How's their Vulkan driver? DXVK could take care of the dx11 stuff.
The poster right after answered already.
That seems to be how they have improved the dx9 stuff, maybe there next push will be to do it for dx11.

[/URL][/URL][/URL]

CS:GO which uses DX9 doubled in performance with the latest drivers. Intel is seriously working to get their stuff up to speed. They might become an interesting alternative in the budget to mid-range segments because NVIDIA seems hell-bent on increasing those to $500+.

There's some really cool stuff happening in the gaming world right now. Both on consoles and PC. Upscaling tech, RT, AI-based upsampling, UE5, Direct Storage, Intel GPUs, hardware-accelerated decompression, and much more.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

The problem with Arc GPUs is that they're still broken in DX11 and that's a lot of games. The second problem is that their drivers aren't up to par with AMD/NVIDIA just yet so you're gonna end up spending a lot of time troubleshooting.

From what I've researched (and have a friend who owns one), regular users should stick to AMD/NVIDIA for now. Advanced users can probably deal with the current issues but at least this bodes well for their second generation GPUs (Battlemage I think?).
Have you seen how much the have updated their drivers for DX9/DX11?

They basically doubled their framerates for many/most games people actually play.

Still broken?
Their driver team has been working their asses off.
Im guessing this will be the usual thing where something broken once is broken forever in peoples minds....but that just isnt true.

Even their super buggy software is actually stable now and doesnt force you to format your PC everytime you try and close it.

Gaiff

Have you seen how much the have updated their drivers for DX9/DX11?
I have and posted a video above.
They basically doubled their framerates for many/most games people actually play.

Still broken?
Their driver team has been working their asses off.
Im guessing this will be the usual thing where something broken once is broken forever in peoples minds....but that just isnt true.

Even their super buggy software is actually stable now and doesnt force you to format your PC everytime you try and close it.
There's still a lot of work to be done though. In Spider-Man for instance which is DX12, the driver updated resulted in lower overall performance but got rid of the screen flickering issue. Ideally, you'd want both the performance pre-driver and the fixed screen post-driver.

Arc is still a work in progress and is significantly worse than Intel/AMD to this day. It quickly gets better but isn't there yet or even close.

JimboJones

Yes. And as someone who isn’t all about the top end, this card is just fine. Great first entry to the game and can’t wait to see the next gen.
I wasn't being snarky or anything 😅, I was more curious to hear from someone first hand actually using it for their main gaming system.

The biggest problem with Intel Arc is that it is a 1st generation product with incomplete pre-DX12 support so unless you are a casual gamer who only plays a few of the latest DX12 and Vulkan games then these cards are really hard to recommend to anyone else even at that price. NVIDIA and AMD have had years to refine their drivers for their GPUs so it is a no brainer to go for one of theirs over Intel unless you want issues with playing your older games. Intel are always going to be at a disadvantage here but I would not even consider one of their GPUs until the 3rd or even 4th generation when they've finally ironed out all the older API issues.

I guess they could be the kind of actual nVidia competitor going forward. AMD's lack of specific RT units is making them the have to be cheap to even be considered tech dinosaurs.
If you care for the currently imho very wasteful RT stuff at all, intel could be the slightly more affordable alternative, probably having to have lower prices for the same or even better performance for quite a while, especially if some problematic benchmarks will get talked over with more emphasis than necessary by all those youtube copy paste talking heads, while AMD stays relevant in "old" raster performance and seem to even lose ground in RT and provides for an almost different market.

Last edited:

Innoculis

Neo Member
The biggest problem with Intel Arc is that it is a 1st generation product with incomplete pre-DX12 support so unless you are a casual gamer who only plays a few of the latest DX12 and Vulkan games then these cards are really hard to recommend to anyone else even at that price. NVIDIA and AMD have had years to refine their drivers for their GPUs so it is a no brainer to go for one of theirs over Intel unless you want issues with playing your older games. Intel are always going to be at a disadvantage here but I would not even consider one of their GPUs until the 3rd or even 4th generation when they've finally ironed out all the older API issues.
Lololol. I assume you just go off of what YouTube tells you.

It’s a perfectly fine card. My god. Y’all act like it’s garbage. I game in 1440p and it’s fine. Nothing special, and certainly nothing terrible.

Try something before you bash it. I bought it to support a third player in the market as it needs one as Nvidia has lost their mind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom