• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

bigol

I wonder why people keep using these GIFs. Don't people see that the UI elements don't line up? The PS4 UI elements are closer to the edge of the screen than the Xbox One's. What this probably means is that the original PS4 image was blown up slightly so it could be aligned with the Xbox One screenshot, which makes the GIF completely useless as a compairson: the PS4 screen is not in its original resolution anymore and less sharp.

UI is also bigger on XBOX One compared to Ps4
Don't know why, but there is definitely something weird in these comparisons

Tom Penny

The vast majority of consumers will not see the difference between the two games. Period. They will surely see a difference on the console price tags though.

PS4 looks better than X1 as expected.

PS4 has higher fps, higher resolution and way less jaggies.

PS4 version runs at a higher res with a better framerate, and has more effects. Xbox One hardware has issues with full range HDMI support that lead to Digital Foundry posting some pretty terrible captures, unlike every other website.

Thank you guys. So all seems as expected, except for DF dropping the ball. I thought they were pros? Rushing?

fade_

It reminds me of when my parents got their first HDTV a few years ago, and I spent a few hours calibrating it. When I finished they were like, "ugh that doesn't look that great. I want it to pop like our neighbor's." So I switched it to Vivid and of course they said, "There. Right there. Now that's a good picture!" I paused one of the blu's I was using and switched back and forth trying to show how all the detail was lost in the shadows, but they weren't having it. Switching back and forth made the correct calibration look really washed out and this is what happened to the PS3 comparisons last gen and looks to continue for the PS4. I hate crushed blacks. I ended up switching their set to the correct setting when they weren't looking.

LOL, I had the same experience but they wouldnt have the correct setting. Colors are still crushed on theirs. I tried my best!

nib95

Banned
my tv is only 720p, 1080i and 1080p. ps4 version is 900p. can I still play it on my tv?

Of course lol. Any media you play on your TV that is sub-1080p will be upscaled. Whether it's 540p, 720p or 900p it makes no difference. 900p will just look a little bit sharper compared to 720p, but obviously 1080p is ideal.

BigJoeGrizzly

Neo Member
The fact that the Xbone runs @ 720p and runs at an lower average frame rate than the PS4 is fuckin' sad.

Seriously, fine, you might prefer the launch games, but for christ sakes, I don't see how anyone can justify dropping $100 more on a significantly underpowered box.

For the last time people, STOP TELLING PEOPLE HOW TO VALUE THEIR PURCHASES. If you prefer the PS4, FINE, but I'm tired of people with this passive-aggressive bullshit questioning why someone would want something else, like there's NOTHING attractive about the alternatives.

Afrikan

It reminds me of when my parents got their first HDTV a few years ago, and I spent a few hours calibrating it. When I finished they were like, "ugh that doesn't look that great. I want it to pop like our neighbor's." So I switched it to Vivid and of course they said, "There. Right there. Now that's a good picture!" I paused one of the blu's I was using and switched back and forth trying to show how all the detail was lost in the shadows, but they weren't having it. Switching back and forth made the correct calibration look really washed out and this is what happened to the PS3 comparisons last gen and looks to continue for the PS4. I hate crushed blacks. I ended up switching their set to the correct setting when they weren't looking.

LMAO!
I know that feel man...but I never had the courage to make that last move.

Reallink

Well, I wouldn't call worse IQ (50% lower pixel rate), sometimes even sub 720p, worse framerate, aliasing issues, etc. ...... a win and I wouldn't walk away happy from this.. but hey.... to each his own. ;)

Whoa, what? Need thread summary stat. One res is dynamic and sub 720p on ocasions?

my tv is only 720p, 1080i and 1080p. ps4 version is 900p. can I still play it on my tv?

you'd have to cut some piece of that tv screen.... be careful not to make it too less or too much since that would jeopardize your resolution... Also mend the edges when done

theDeeDubs

LOL, I had the same experience but they wouldnt have the correct setting. Colors are still crushed on theirs. I tried my best!

Sadly they ended up dropping their HD package and put the PS3 in a side room. So my attempt ended equally in vain lol.

KORNdoggy

This is the one truly weird thing to me. The PS4 version really does look like it has a lower-res texture here, and I just can't see any good reason for that given what we know about the hardware.

but then it also looks like the PC version also has lower res textures...but come on...that surely isn't the case.

Xenon

9m0r3Pt.png

;)

bbalde

What? I can show an 360p image upscaled to 1080p to a average joe versus a native 1080p shot of the same frame of the same game and he wouldnt notice it. Fact is, there is a huge power gap. Spin it as you like with arguemtns like this, the gap is there and its as big as it was expected.
He wouldn't notice = perception
there is a huge power gap = reality

We are saying the same ?!

PhatSaqs

Banned
Seriously, fine, you might prefer the launch games, but for christ sakes, I don't see how anyone can justify dropping $100 more on a significantly underpowered box.
There's plenty of reasons for justification that anyone can have. You not seeing or understanding them is your problem not theirs.

Jonboy

Crushed blacks, sharpen filter can't explain this mess:

j3LuLFUeaymSf.png

Why the hell did DICE put a vaseline filter on the PS4 version and destroy texture detail?
Was just about to post this. That one shot is so baffling to me. The Xbox One shows far more detail and the PS4 shot looks downright awful.

Chaplain

Of course lol. Any media you play on your TV that is sub-1080p will be upscaled. Whether it's 540p, 720p or 900p it makes no difference. 900p will just look a little bit sharper compared to 720p, but obviously 1080p is ideal.

Would forcing the game to run in 720p on PS4 make the game run any better?

but then it also looks like the PC version also has lower res textures...but come on...that surely isn't the case.

PC looks like it has same detail, but less contrast so it is harder to see the black hair. PS4 version looks like the detail has been blurred slightly.

DirtyLarry

UI is also bigger on XBOX One compared to Ps4
Don't know why, but there is definitely something weird in these comparisons
Generally speaking when you increase the resolution on a game, the UI elements take up less real estate on the screen itself as the increased resolution means they can be smaller in size but still be legible. .

Lower Resolution = Larger UI elements so they can be read clearly.
Higher Resolution = Smaller UI elements as they can still be rendered in a legible fashion.

It has been this way forever on PC games, so I am assuming it is the same thing that is happening on the console versions as well

Jack cw

He wouldn't notice = perception
there is a huge power gap = reality

We are saying the same ?!

Yep, we are. Just wanted to state out that a random guy wont notice the difference immediately but on paper the power gap is there, and its pretty big.

Cyborg

Guys, help me out.

When I look at the screens in OP the X1 looks better.
The PS4 seems blurry......anweser me two questions.

1. Does the PS4 verssion look better (is it a capture problem)
2. Whats the blurry thing? Why is the image blurry?

Kiant

XBO does a good upscaling job, so I don't think I will notice the difference between XBO and PS4 on my HDTV. PC-version plays in another world though.

In these GIFs XBO looks prettier:
ib2oi1LrWrikmU.gif

ihrijghdqxM3C.gif

How does XO look better in those gifs? All I see is massive jaggies all over with worse textures. Dear me.

Bossofman

Neo Member
Um no. The UI elements look smaller and towards the edge of the screen due to resolution difference. UI is one of the most noticeable things for me on PC when adjusting resolution.

I thought the Xbone had some sort of 'Plane' for the UI to keep it 1080 even if the rest of the game wasn't that Rez.?

Define, "reasonable quality setting"? You could do that for a couple hundred more and make up that investment difference with the free AAA games that come with whatever video card you buy, and paying $20-$50 for new games instead of $60-$70 like you have to on consoles. And you'll never have to worry about backwards compatibility.

Something that resembles what the PS4 is outputting. So something in between Medium/High? A couple hundred more, so that's $600, and that also will include a full copy of Windows 8, and a keyboard/mouse combo worthy of playing games?

I'm honestly not trying to be a dick, I just hear this all the time from the PC crowd. They all claim I can get the same level of detail running at higher res and higher frames for the same price, or around the same price, but then it always comes out to be quite a bit more once all factors are considered, for the price of entry. I'm looking for something that's $399 that I can hook up to an HDMI input and go. Not something I'll have to spend more on and hope to recoup my costs later with cheaper games/sales.

And btw, Newegg has PS4/XBO B4 preorder for $50. Not sure where your $70 figure is coming from either.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Crushed blacks, sharpen filter can't explain this mess:

j3LuLFUeaymSf.png

Why the hell did DICE put a vaseline filter on the PS4 version and destroy texture detail?

WTH Dice? Really no reason for that.

They got some weird texture stuff going on in general. Some of them seem to be randomized.

vcc

My parents like to watch SD content STRETCHED! It hurts my eyes when ever I come over and look at the horizontally stretched face of some Chinese news lady. They complain a lot if I set it to either black bars or zoomed that they're losing part of the image or the TV. People can be funny in their preferences.

nib95

Banned
Would forcing the game to run in 720p on PS4 make the game run any better?

Nope. Unless it had a native 720p option (like GT5 does), which it most probably doesn't. But there's no need anyway. The frame rate runs at 60fps most of the time, no point sacrificing added detail by going 720p for a marginally better frame rate, that you'd only feel in intense scenes. The frame rate average is already better than the Xbox One's despite being a higher resolution and running more effects and post processing, so 720p doesn't even need to be considered.

Guys, help me out.

errk.. how many pages of the same questions... This thread is just turning around every 5 pages.

Pop

And hear about the difference

I mean it's not hard to see the difference. X1 looks more jagged, IQ wise while the Ps4 looks way smoother. The washed out is do to the capturing equipment DF used as evident by Jackfrags videos. Most likely to, Ps4 wasn't set to full rgb.

Jack cw

Guys, help me out.

1. It does look better judging by several videos now (IGN, jackfraggs, pcgh.de, even DF)
2. Either cheap FXAA vaseline or DF fucked up the recordings because on the pcgh video, the PS4 version was pretty crisp as in jackfraggs videos.

Was just about to post this. That one shot is so baffling to me. The Xbox One shows far more detail and the PS4 shot looks downright awful.

Is it possible that this is motion blur? I do not understand this part at all

See my post from the other thread:

Gemüsepizza;87963267 said:
No. That's very likely because of FXAA, but you can probably turn it off. Digital Foundry conviently just did not mention it or didn't even bother to check.

Xenon

This really shouldn't even be brought up. You can 'upscale' a 100x60 image to 1080p just as well. Any resolution can be upscaled to 1080p.

I am going to disagree with you, since not all up-scaling is consider equal. I think the PS3 does a better job of doing it with DVDs compare to the 360.

Top Bottom