• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

Yasir

This thread needs some Arthur gies input only so we can get some colour back in here. Gies opinion on the situation would be awesome, wanna see some blood :)

How does XO look better in those gifs? All I see is massive jaggies all over with worse textures. Dear me.
Yes. This x 1000.

These are the people who will buy a TV from a store and leave it on the factory settings. Too much sharpness, too much contrast, oversaturated colors, little detail in light and dark areas (cruching), noise reductions nonsense, and a shitload of artifacts.

Havel

Guys, help me out.

When I look at the screens in OP the X1 looks better.
The PS4 seems blurry......anweser me two questions.

1. Does the PS4 verssion look better (is it a capture problem)
2. Whats the blurry thing? Why is the image blurry?

X1 version has crushed blacks and over sharpening/saturation compared to PS4/PC. It's a known issue on DF's captures.

It's like turning up the sharpness and contrast on your TV to max and thinking it looks better.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
But there was also a mistake with a basic eye test no? They couldn't notice something was off just by looking at it?
They would need to compare the giant uncompressed video stream A vs. giant uncompressed streams B and C, figure out what was wrong, and recapture the stream that was wrong. But they probably had no way at the time to either know which stream is wrong or probably time to recapture it even if they asked for it.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Guys, help me out.

When I look at the screens in OP the X1 looks better.
The PS4 seems blurry......anweser me two questions.

1. Does the PS4 verssion look better (is it a capture problem)
2. Whats the blurry thing? Why is the image blurry?

Would you feel like it was blurry if it wasn't being compared to a overly sharpened image?

Jonboy

Gemüsepizza;87963685 said:
See my post from the other thread:
You mean you could even turn it off on PS4? I know you can tweak everything on PC, but the options on consoles are usually pretty limited.

Riky

$MSFT
Crushed blacks, sharpen filter can't explain this mess:

j3LuLFUeaymSf.png

Why the hell did DICE put a vaseline filter on the PS4 version and destroy texture detail?

Wow, that's quite a difference.

Isn't DF like experts at this kinda stuff? How did they mess it up so bad?

Also, I see a lot of the PC people saying midrange gear runs the game better. While I admit the PC version is leaps and bounds above the console versions (as it should be), I'm still waiting for someone to build me a gaming PC that can run these games at full 1080p on a reasonable quality setting for $399.

Cold chance in hell.
Unless you forgot to add a 1 to the front of that number.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So what I've learned ITT is that people commonly fall for the turn up the contrast tricks used to sell low end TV's. I've also learned that KZ:SF absolutely trounces BF4 in a very dramatic fashion.

Flo_Evans

This thread lol.

What a cock up. Can't believe someone would go through all the trouble of capturing terabytes of video footage, looking at it and saying "welp, this looks right".

Facism

if the UI is scaling with the resolution, i guess they're not using the display plane option to present a hi-res UI?

Tabular

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ycN0re_5A&feature=youtu.be&t=3m24s
*This* Looks incredible to you? If you switch the player to 1440p you circumvent the youtube recompression and see the original uploaded footage. And the only thing that is incredible about watching it full screen is that I have a feeling that it will physically cuts my eyes with aliasing.

I really hope that someone from Dice is reading this and will disable the ghastly sharpening effect. If they love it so much, just instruct the prospective buyers that they can turn that up on their TVs.

True. That really looks downright bad. I can't stand the aliasing everywhere, even in the indoor sections it's just bad!

coldfoot

Banned
I'd take Jaggies over that Blurry Vaseline ANY day of the week.
Depends on the amount of jaggies/blur. I'd take the PC shot in the above example for a reasonable compromise between the two. The PS4 is way to blurred, and the X1 you can see the stair steps on the head at the top right.
Most likely the X1 version had No AA, PS4 had cheap low quality FXAA that blurred the fuck out of everything, and the PC had a more advanced (or simply differently tuned) FXAA solution.

fade_

This thread lol.

What a cock up. Can't believe someone would go through all the trouble of capturing terabytes of video footage, looking at it and saying "welp, this looks right".

Not only that, but to compare it in the review that everything is hunky dory and that the comparison is an accurate representation when anyone can see its not. Seems suspicious.

Riky

$MSFT
What would be the advantage of turning off Anti Aliasing?
Less vaseline but more jaggies? I'm not sure it would look better overall.

On my PC I always turn off AA as it impacts performance a lot and I prefer a higher framerate, I always turn motion blur off as well as I don't like it. That might look awful on a PC monitor but playing 6 foot away on my 50" TV the lack of AA doesn't bother me at all.

Something that resembles what the PS4 is outputting. So something in between Medium/High? A couple hundred more, so that's $600, and that also will include a full copy of Windows 8, and a keyboard/mouse combo worthy of playing games?
Yea, probably about that. Check the PC GAF thread for parts. They can help you put together a specific rig to meet medium settings @ 1080p for BF4 now that the recommended and minimum settings are out.

You don't need Windows 8, you don't need a special keyboard, and you'll want a $30-$40 optical mouse. As you do your maths, be sure to include all the free, new games like Black Flag, BF4, Bioshock, and others (depending on which card you settle on) that you'd have to pay full or near full price for on your console that you're getting for free on PC. All in all, it can be done. Especially with recently announced price drops on some really nice GPUs.

And you get to enjoy backwards compatibility with every PC game you've bought since the mid 90s, which is value-add that you can't really even put a price tag on with these new consoles because they simply don't have it.

And btw, Newegg has PS4/XBO B4 preorder for $50. Not sure where your $70 figure is coming from either.
Not sure what you're even talking about here. Most console games are in the $60-$70 range. Those same games are usually $10-$20 less on PC. That's just how it is. There is always a savings to be had when buying new games on PC compared to console versions. Sometimes the prices are similar, more often the PC gets the better deal.

velociraptor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ycN0re_5A&feature=youtu.be&t=3m24s
*This* Looks incredible to you? If you switch the player to 1440p you circumvent the youtube recompression and see the original uploaded footage. And the only thing that is incredible about watching it full screen is that I have a feeling that it will physically cuts my eyes with aliasing.

I really hope that someone from Dice is reading this and will disable the ghastly sharpening effect. If they love it so much, just instruct the prospective buyers that they can turn that up on their TVs.
Wow, that looks downright awful.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
IMO, FXAA does't look too bad in 1080p *when seen on a TV screen*. TV screen part being important distinction as it's more forgiving to imperfect IQ compared to PC monitors. It looks nasty at 720p however, so before I can see it uncompressed with 900p BF4, I'll hold the judgement.

FXAA is infamous for blurring the texture detail as a sideeffect of jaggie reduction. It's especially a problem at 720p, so that's why people like to have the option to turn it off, and why Dice chose to give the option even in a console game.

Not much of a noticeable difference between versions. I would like to see some current gen vs next gen shots. Either way I am getting this on launch for PS4.

nib95

Banned

PC version obviously looks the best, but the PS4 version seems to be a a good balance for a console version. I'd imagine the Xbox One's aliasing and edge enhancement will look worse in motion due to shimmering etc.

Side note, DF really fucked up lol. The shadow detail on the side of his face is all but gone on the Xbox One version lol.

Sylonious

You are aware that it seems DF is pretty heavily saying the PS4 version is superior in this regard right

It's not really saying that.

But the differences we saw don't just stop at resolution. Both versions are treated to post-processing anti-aliasing too, seemingly equivalent to the refined, high setting on PC. However, this doesn't tell the whole story. As you may notice in our screengrabs, the actual results on PS4 lack the corresponding level of crystal clarity we'd expect of such a significant resolution boost. This should surely be a home run for Sony's console, but what is likely to be a software-based upscale to 1080p delivers less-than-stellar returns, and for better or worse leaves the Xbox One with an often crisper looking, albeit much more aliased image.

What is curious is the level of "pop" given to the Xbox One's textures, where - bizarrely - artwork often seems to be more detailed than on PlayStation 4. In high contrast scenes, we sometimes see a kind of halo effect around some detail, which may suggest some kind of artificial detail-boosting post-process. Whether this is part of Microsoft's new upscaling tech remains to be seen, but we were reminded of the Medal of Honor effect seen in the Darbee Darblet review. However, what is added to texture detail also seems to be applied to XO's most ugly element - its highly noticeable sub-pixel break-up.- Source

The XB1 seems to have better detail in many of those screenshots.

Why is that? Is it the hardware scaler? I'm very surprised at all this. I wonder what Microsoft is doing to get that kind of graphical detail at 720p.

FXAA and upscaling is going to cause some blur. People shouldn't kid themselves about the PS4 version either. I'd take it over no AA though.
People seem to be enjoying the jaggies more it seems.

ibcyLL9DEObrRq.gif

Yum, deliciously jaggy?

1. It does look better judging by several videos now (IGN, jackfraggs, pcgh.de, even DF)
2. Either cheap FXAA vaseline or DF fucked up the recordings because on the pcgh video, the PS4 version was pretty crisp as in jackfraggs videos.

Is it possible the PS4 does not upscale games to 1080p, just like the PS3?
720p games on the PS3 are not scaled & look like shit. Your TV has to have a incredibly good upscaler to counter that & every TV being made now has bottom dollar scalers in them.
Comparatively, the scaler in the Xbox 360 is incredibly good & compares with stand alone scalers that costs $500-1000.

Next gen is following current gen. PS4 wilh no or shit scaling capabilities & the Xbone with incorrect gamma settings to make things look darker/higher contrast.
Only flip side is the Sony console is now the one with the small tiny advantage in 3rd party games looking better.

:(

Top Bottom