• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

Digital Foundry didn't mention the PS4 had a scaler only XB1. Shu, responds on twitter from a follower who asked him

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/395668915201667072

Carl ‏@carlbown1 6h
@yosp Hey Shu, can you confirm if the PS4 has a built in hardware scaler? BF4 seems to be using a software solution from 900-1080p ;)

Shuhei Yoshida
‏@yosp
@carlbown1 yes, it has

I wondering if the X1 engineers are lieing about using custom hardware upscaler algorithm and its just being the standard upscaler that comes with AMD GPU. I mean the VG leaks documentation has different names for AMD component.

Rey

Sorry, meant witch scene.

Sorry Metalmurphy, Im at work now. Ill try to watch it again later.. Maybe it was the scene with the explosion where the lighting of the explosion would change the lighting on the rifle a lot more then on the PS4? Not sure now. Ill get back to u on this.

cheezcake

Why is the scaling so poor?

900p should always look superior to 720p. But perhaps the FXAA is to blame here.

Here's a comparison I made of the PC version running at roughly PS4 equivalent settings, FXAA high no MSAA of course

PC Screenshot, 900p upsacled to 1080p with Photoshop (bicubic)
J9YMXkW.jpg

PS4 Screenshot

There's still a slight blur on the PS4 version so it might have to do with the capture or upscaler, don't think it's the FXAA

Edit: Woops linked wrong image

nasos_333

So...

PS4 version's advantages over the Xbox One version thus far

- Higher resolution (900p vs 720p)
- Ambient Occlusion
- Certain Shadows
- Certain Motion Blur effects
- Certain Depth of Field effects
- More consistent frame rate
- Better Anti Aliasing
- More accurate IQ and colour palette (similar to the PC version)

Xbox One's advantages(?)

- Sharper (Due to aggressive sharpening, which does also result in a lot of edge halo'ing and added aliasing and shimmering)
- Stronger contrast and saturation (Completely different to the PC/PS4 versions, the XO version has a higher contrast look with crushed blacks and blown whites)

Sound about right?

ibvedOKiR18uO6.jpg

ps4_vs_xo_zps4ddf0d90.gif

ps4vsps3vs360vsxone_zpsb77bb6d4.gif

I think it actually looks better on xbox one

From this comparisson at least (not my pics)

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/11/01/battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-current-gen

I will reserve jusdgement until more official pics are out, but the PS4 version looks inferior rather clearly, more blurry and missing shadows and the lighting is not as good, textures are cripser on xbox one etc

Skeff

ibvedOKiR18uO6.jpg

I will reserve jusdgement until more official pics are out, but the PS4 version looks inferior rather clearly, more blurry and missing shadows and the lighting is not as good, textures are cripser on xbox one etc

Same Bullshit, different thread:

That first gif is not real? The UI isn't scaling between the PS4 version and XBO versio like other screenshots. Plus the images are identical except for increase and sharpness and crushing of blacks. Are you sure that is a real comparison shot and not someone photoshopping the PS4 image ?

You can see the UI scale in the second GIF next gen side. The dpad moves up and down.

http://i.minus.com/ibvedOKiR18uO6.jpg[img]

[img]http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad108/ziseknsa/ps4_vs_xo_zps4ddf0d90.gif[img]

[img]http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad108/ziseknsa/ps4vsps3vs360vsxone_zpsb77bb6d4.gif[img]

[url]http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/11/01/battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-current-gen[/url]

I will reserve jusdgement until more official pics are out, but the PS4 version looks inferior rather clearly, more blurry and missing shadows and the lighting is not as good, textures are cripser on xbox one etc[/QUOTE]

Are you trolling? First in the [url=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88332949&postcount=252]other thread[/url], now here. How about reading the over 100 pages in this thread which point out whats wrong with the X1 footage? Even the botched 60fps direct feed videos from Eurogamer show that the PS4 version is clearly superior:

[url]http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-next-gen-now-battlefield-4[/url]

ibvedOKiR18uO6.jpg

What missing shadows??

If you make the pics any smaller you'll see the X1 version actually trumps the PC version with a Titan.

Also, and why is it that PS4 version is now the one crushing blacks on that second gif? oO

nasos_333

Gemüsepizza;88333809 said:
Are you trolling? First in the other thread, now here. How about reading the over 100 pages in this thread which point out whats wrong with the X1 footage? Even the botched 60fps direct feed videos from Eurogamer show that the PS4 version is clearly superior:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-next-gen-now-battlefield-4

Actually someone in the other thread suggested to post the pics in this one

So, no, i am not "trolling", just posted it in a more relevant thread

Here

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88333477&postcount=262

Violater

I wish we could get to a point where we could talk about how awfully cluttered the ui screen looks with all that stuff popping up.
Are the ribbons really that important?

DSN2K

resolution and frame rate are key, Dice clearly optimized PS4 for that, perhaps mesh levels are reduced slightly to balance that out.

Good choice, will look a lot better in motion then Xbox One version.

Actually someone in the other thread suggested to post the pics in this one

So, no, i am not "trolling", just posted it in a more relevant thread

Here

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88333477&postcount=262

Ok. But this doesn't change the fact that these gifs are from extremely poor capture material, highly compressed and just tiny. Just read the thread and look at those proper capture videos. And why didn't you remove the fake GIF there?

Didn't you notice that the interface does not change at all?

zoukka

You can't see much differences in gifs and screenshots huh. Should be apparent in motion I would guess unless they somehow manage to smear the PS4 IQ to look as bad as the low resolution of xbone.

eot

Banned
ibvedOKiR18uO6.jpg

Posting shit like this shouldn't be allowed, that one image is just a photoshop of the same version.

le.phat

ibvedOKiR18uO6.jpg

The x1 has been confirmed to have some post processing filtering going on, hence the difference in clarity. The other differences between these builds are greatly diminished by downsampling these examples to a much lower resolution. Compare both pictures in their respective resolutions and it's easy to spot in just how many ways the ps4 image is superior to the x1. Surely you understand how these pictures are in NO way representative of the differences in these builds ?

So...

PS4 version's advantages over the Xbox One version thus far

- Higher resolution (900p vs 720p)
- Ambient Occlusion
- Certain Shadows
- Certain Motion Blur effects
- Certain Depth of Field effects
- More consistent frame rate
- Better Anti Aliasing
- More accurate IQ and colour palette (similar to the PC version)

Xbox One's advantages(?)

- Sharper (Due to aggressive sharpening, which does also result in a lot of edge halo'ing and added aliasing and shimmering)
- Stronger contrast and saturation (Completely different to the PC/PS4 versions, the XO version has a higher contrast look with crushed blacks and blown whites)

Sound about right?

Ambient Occlusion is being added to the Xbox version, devs confirmed.

Hexa

so much photoshop, the XB1 UI is smaller than the PS4, but not in that shot, they're both PS4.

Plus the fact that the UI changes color slightly, which it shouldn't. And somehow all the things that are randomized and pretty much impossible to get 1:1 are all the same.

XBone has crushed blacks. Not PS4 yo. >_>

Majanew

Banned
so much photoshop, the XB1 UI is smaller than the PS4, but not in that shot, they're both PS4.

Yeah, it's the same screen that's been doctored. The icons in the upper right are even the same. I think that screen is from the PC footage shown earlier this year isn't it?

Upper right icons on Xbox One. From JackFrags footage.
rJRFpP0.png

And something has to give or else the frame-rate is going to take a hit. Unless optimization makes AO possible without the game's performance taking a hit.

eot

Banned
Plus the fact that the UI changes color slightly, which it shouldn't. And somehow all the things that are randomized and pretty much impossible to get 1:1 are all the same.

XBone has crushed blacks. Not PS4 yo. >_>

What is up with the UI?
Look at this:

The PS3 UI is clearly smaller and rendered closer to the edges of the screen.
Now look at IGN's video: http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/11/01/battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-current-gen

Go to 4:30. The PS4 UI is now the larger one

Gemüsepizza;88334035 said:
Ok. But this doesn't change the fact that these gifs are from extremely poor capture material, highly compressed and just tiny. Just read the thread and look at those proper capture videos. And why didn't you remove the fake GIF there?

Didn't you notice that the interface does not change at all?

LOL indeed... hahaha look at the top right, it's the same image... good lord. Someone's desperate.

And something has to give or else the frame-rate is going to take a hit. Unless optimization makes AO possible without the game's performance taking a hit.

Their target is 60 fps, right? Id imagine they arent adding a feature that would make the framerate drop below their target (yes, I know there are already frame rate drops).

GlassCity

Banned
So much for the doom and gloom about the PS4 version looking vastly superior. It just doesn't look that much better imo.

I was waiting weeks for this to be released so I could figure out which version to get, and it only made the decision harder. Stick with my controller preference, or go with the arguably better looking version...?

Can't wait for the COD comparisons...That might help me decide which version of BF4 to get.

So much for the doom and gloom about the PS4 version looking vastly superior. It just doesn't look that much better imo.

I was waiting weeks for this to be released so I could figure out which version to get, and it only made the decision harder. Stick with my controller preference, or go with the arguably better looking version...?

Can't wait for the COD comparisons...That might help me decide which version of BF4 to get.
You've tried both controllers allready?
Cause they're not the same as the ones from this gen.

Amir0x

Banned

we shall see, with how fluid things are, it might not happen. The devs of Call of Duty ghosts said Xbox One version ran 1080p @ 60fps in June. That obviously did not happen

At this point we just are going to all have to wait and see for the final retail releases what is there and what is not.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
What is the chance that they will release a patch that pushes the Xbox One version up to 900p?

Amir0x

Banned
What is the chance that they will release a patch that pushes the Xbox One version up to 900p?

Well we heard that the Call of Duty: Ghosts guys are getting help from Microsoft and Activision is pouring resources into it to try to get a patch that either enhances the resolution or gives the Xbox One added effects the PS4 version didn't have with the added headroom they have from the reduced resolution.

However, we have not heard any similar rumblings about BF4. Presumably, since the tech in that game is far more advanced than Ghosts, it might be harder to get those sorts of gains at this juncture.

GlassCity

Banned
You've tried both controllers allready?
Cause they're not the same as the ones from this gen.

I tried the PS4 controller and still hate the stick layout, but I MIGHT be able to get use to it. I will admit...It does feel better than the DS3 tho.

Haven't tried the X1, but I'm sure it will be fine...It could be a little step back from the 360 controller, but the the sticks are still placed the same and the general shape of the controller is still the same, so i'm not worried.

Tratorn

It's funny how some people want to show that the XB1-version looks better.
There's afaik not a single preview from people who played both versions, saying the XB1 version looks better.
Even DF who had the problems with recording, said the ps4-version looks crisper and cleaner and you wouldn't even have to be a pixelcounter to see the difference.

While Digital Foundry has yet to see either next-gen version of Call of Duty, our experience with Battlefield 4 demonstrates that you can easily see the visual difference between them. The Xbox One version holds up well given the gulf in resolution, but it doesn't require a pixel counter to tell that the PS4 game is crisper and cleaner either. At last week's Battlefield 4 review event in Stockholm, we noted that the resolution change from one version to the next was obvious to many of the press in attendance, with some even suggesting on-site that the PS4 version was operating at native 1080p when its actual resolution was 1600x900.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-resolutiongate-the-fallout

Videos in youtube-quality were never really the best way to judge games, but this gen it'll be even worse. I want gamersyde to be the standard for gaming-videos. :/

Cyborg

Junior.....please stop! Better framerate, higer res, better aa and so on. Well, let's not start sucking each other's dic*s quite yet?

Seriously, why would they invest significant time and effort into a post-release patch to up the resolution. The game isn't ultimate broken, it's just not as good as the PS4 version.

There's opportunity cost there; they could be busy making 720p DLC to sell earlier on the XB1.

Devs didn't, as far as I'm aware invest significant resources into post-release patches to try and increase the resolutions of sub-HD games and SKU this gen did they?

we shall see, with how fluid things are, it might not happen. The devs of Call of Duty ghosts said Xbox One version ran 1080p @ 60fps in June. That obviously did not happen

At this point we just are going to all have to wait and see for the final retail releases what is there and what is not.

Source?

coldfoot

Banned
There's still a slight blur on the PS4 version so it might have to do with the capture or upscaler, don't think it's the FXAA

Edit: Woops linked wrong image
Could be superior PC FXAA vs. console peasant FXAA. I think PC FXAA is different and more advanced algorithm.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Well we heard that the Call of Duty: Ghosts guys are getting help from Microsoft and Activision is pouring resources into it to try to get a patch that either enhances the resolution or gives the Xbox One added effects the PS4 version didn't have with the added headroom they have from the reduced resolution.

However, we have not heard any similar rumblings about BF4. Presumably, since the tech in that game is far more advanced than Ghosts, it might be harder to get those sorts of gains at this juncture.

Interesting. I hope they manage it. They've got another 4 weeks to get the patch done and certified.

Top Bottom