• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

Amazing screen from the IGN footage:

9xBb87a.png

LOLOL
That looks like the map Crash from Modern Warfare 1 or 2. Damn.

Lime

So this thread is basically great empirical evidence for the psychological concept of cognitive dissonance.

At least the sycophants are coming out of the woodwork and make themselves easily identifiable for future reference.

cheezcake

blah I hate this so much, I think a tiny bit of over saturation is cool as long as you're just expanding the gamut a bit while keeping other aspects of reproduction like gamma correct

improperly calibrated gamma pisses me off after about an hour or two on a bad day

To the untrained eye
read: dirty casuals
the oversaturated and sharpened images are much more immediately striking than a well balanced picture, it grabs attention which is exactly the effect the XB1 pictures are having on some people in this thread.

Snubbers

Just watched the videos:

Aliasing is bad on both
But aliasing is significantly better on PS4

Graphics look great on both
No real stand out winner in terms of graphics

Framerate is good on both
PS4 sticks to it better

So basically, if you have the choice of both, the choice is clear - PS4, but if you don't then it's not a problem at all.

I think DICE should be proud of what they've done for 2 launch titles.

That's pretty much how I assessed it as well..

GAF was crying out for PS4 MP to look better then XB1 SP, and it's clearly not remotely in that territory (unless I've missed something)..

The only useful thing about the comparison is I could consider the PC version, as I already have KZ per-ordered.. just need to see if a 5870 + i4700K will give me better performance than PS4 or not..

LCfiner

The environments and geometry in some of these levels are really screaming out for high resolution and good AA. All those hanging power lines, steel beam structures and construction equipment.

It really makes the lower resolution images stand out as being very poor and aliased. The resolution difference between consoles (and PC) is less noticeable to my eyes with some of the other environments - places with larger, less intricate geometry.

Although sometimes parts of the gun models look aliased and low detail with the lower res. that’s a shame as it’s in your face all the time.

PC version looks the most natural in those DF videos. Both PS4 and Xbone versions are being upped in contrast. More noticably on the Xbone version, where there's a unnatural look to the colors, crushed blacks and a more prominent AA issue.

PS4 and PC look very close: More notable on PS4 are the jaggier look and the aforementioned slight higher contrast setting.

slapnuts

But that's not the point. The real point is, as has often been repeated, the PS4 is showing significant performance power over XBone. What it means now is a drop in the ocean compared to what it will mean each year down the line.

I know what you are saying man..i know there is a power difference between the two consoles. I just don't really like to get into that debate personally...i like to stick to the idea that most people won't notice the difference because in all honestly they won't outside of the gamers that roam about Gaf and so on...there are fans of Xbox and fans of PS and the difference between the two are not significant imho. Will the exclusives show a bigger difference? Probably but again..most won't care. That is my point..

squidyj

*sigh*
Okay, so let's ignore the upscaling/post-processing on the PS4 which is causing blurriness and just state that the differences are wholly down to the Xbone version being sharpened and crushed up to 200%. Because that would be an objective observation.

ummm yes, yes it would be, as all of the quick and dirty photoshop transformations in this thread from ps4 to xbone version have shown.

Metfanant

*sigh*
Okay, so let's ignore the upscaling/post-processing on the PS4 which is causing blurriness and just state that the differences are wholly down to the Xbone version being sharpened and crushed up to 200%. Because that would be an objective observation.

No, no...both of those reviewers (one of which is a pretty die hard MS fanboy btw) clearly stated that the Xbone version was softer....

so we are just to disregard their comments because of non native resolution videos on youtube?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
were both captured at 1080p, or was the Xbox captured at 720p? (as it runs in 720p anyway the console might have been set to that)?

In terms of framerate its basically a wash to me.The player being in different position probably accounts for a lot of the difference ,Dice did really well in the 60fps claim area.The aliasing in the XBO is quite a bit more noticeable but the texture clarity in quite a few spots is surprisingly better looking to me.

A wash? If the Xbone version was running at 900p like the PS4 version it would be a slideshow.

bGanci

Banned
No, no...both of those reviewers (one of which is a pretty die hard MS fanboy btw) clearly stated that the Xbone version was softer....

so we are just to disregard their comments because of non native resolution videos on youtube?

hmmm softer...4D gaming the new trend :)

So because you are "hardcore" it makes you a better person than a causal player? What is it with "Hardcore" gamers that makes them feel so entitled....idk i don't get it. Are you doing ok in real life? Do you need to talk?
Thanks I am OK. Hardcore gamers are not better then casuals. But if someone says he is dedicated into gaming and per definition hardcore, should be able to see the difference and adjust their fucking TV properly.

Good God, so DF messed with the pics? Is this why the blacks are so dark in the X1 version and PS4 version looks so blurry? Jesus Christ why don't we have a better comparison site ffs, this is multibillion dollar industry and all we have for comparisons are these charlatans.

I like how you accidentally suggested that DF is part of the gaming industry, not the game journalism industry :p

bGanci

Banned
Thanks I am OK. Hardcore gamers are not better then casuals. But if someone says he is dedicated into gaming and per definition hardcore, should be able to see the difference and adjust their fucking TV properly.

People have rights to their own opinion...You have to settle down and let it be....

dr_rus

The only difference there is postprocessing solution. Since both consoles are using the exact same architectures you can pretty much swap the current PS4 one's for XBO one's and get the exact same results on PS4 but with higher rendering resolution, more effects and better performance.
Why DICE isn't doing exactly that is anyone's guess.

chri5t

The best thing to come out of this thread is seeing just how wrong Kevin Dent was.

He was so adamant that it was 1080p. The backtracking was amazing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
yup, most won't even notice the difference

doesn't matter. If you're an xbox fan it won't stop you buying an xbox. If you're a playstation fan it won't stop you buying a playstation.

but if you're a 'don't care just want to play the games' fan, why would you conciously accept a lower quality option for more money? Even if the games look ok, wouldn't you prefer to buy the one that looks better?

You're right though, many people won't notice or care. Hopefully Sony wakes up to this and starts mentioning 'Full HD' in all their native 1080p games. Use the same kind of marketing that sells HDTVs - even casuals know that 'full HD' is better than 'HD ready'. They might not know how or why, but its FULL right?

Scooter

Banned
Apparently it has to do with scaled used by Sony to get the image to 1080P. MS is good, Sony's is poor causing a blurring of texture detail. At least that's what the DF examination claimed to find.
This is history in the making, guys. After the sound chip bullshit xbox fans just discovered their latest silly talking point. Misterxmedia is probably updating his page as we speak, it's all about upscalers now even though there's little to no evidence.

Am I genius or what? I predicted this pages ago. I bet this bullshit is spreading like wildfire in Xbox blogs and forums.

Durante

*sigh*
Yes, it would be.

Ruining images by cutting off entire parts of the color spectrum and scaling with a sharpness setting which introduces heavy ringing is not an advantage.

Kssio_Aug

Im happy that I preordered my PS4.
Battlefield 4 is already like that, and if its true (and it seems to be) that COD will be 1080p at PS4 and 720p at Xbox One, I cant deny to think that X1 is not strong as I expected.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Given that KZ on PS4 looks so much better then Battlefield 4. Why is the PS4 resolution so low and why is the framerate so poor?

kitch9

Banned
So after year of PS3 suffering 30p or so less resolution in games and a few buts of missing grass and all the bad press afforded to it by the likes of DF, these HUGE differences should now be ignored on the basis of:

"I didn't like those effects that are missing anyway."

"I like the contrast levels they set their equipment up with on the Xbox better."

"What jaggies?"

"I'll be making a cup of tea at the point the FPS drops so I don't care!"

Jesus...

MCD

doesn't matter. If you're an xbox fan it won't stop you buying an xbox. If you're a playstation fan it won't stop you buying a playstation.

but if you're a 'don't care just want to play the games' fan, why would you conciously accept a lower quality option for more money? Even if the games look ok, wouldn't you prefer to buy the one that looks better?

But can I snap cock pics while playing games on PS4?

Top Bottom