• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Nier Automata PS4/PS4 Pro Final Code Comparison + Frame-Rate Test

killatopak

What has PC gaming ever done to you? That was kinda random.

Guy 1: PS4 Pro was a mistake since it has drops lower than base ps4.

Guy 2: PC was a mistake since it has drops, screen tears and freezing compared to consoles.

that was kinda how it went in my head.

This is just on a single specific game as well so I was kinda scratching my head. AK was even a greater mistake since that was obviously a big budget game while NieR was a budget game through and through. It was a vanity project. A game that shouldn't even exist considering it's SE published.

tbf not that many people bought bayo 2 lol

Bayo 2 was an amazing game and the critics love it scoring 90+ on metacritic despite the frame drops. It should have sold gangbusters. Platinum can't catch a break. That's why I don't rate sales based on metacritic anymore.

lupinko

Yeah, all cut-scenes are video clips created from the base PS4 version (so 900p)

Ah okay, so what I'm curious is that is it rendered video at 900p but recorded/upscaled as 1080p or is it just a 900p file? I honestly don't know how that works, so that's why I'm wondering. I really enjoy your work, and off topic but I'd like to see how Saints Row IV Reelected and Gat Out of Hell run on boostmode since those games ran on an uncapped framerate.

Mifec

My boy Huge Succeed is gonna have an aneurysm when he comes here and sees that people still have no idea that AK even in it's messed up state still ran better on good hardware then it did on consoles.

Well now we know why the regular PS4 demo looked as jaggy as it did, guess it translated into the full version too. Feels bad.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
My boy Huge Succeed is gonna have an aneurysm when he comes here and sees that people still have no idea that AK even in it's messed up state still ran better on good hardware then it did on consoles.

Well now we know why the regular PS4 demo looked as jaggy as it did, guess it translated into the full version too. Feels bad.
It was missing visual effects at launch, though. Console versions were excellent at launch with a near perfect 30fps. Most rigs were showing issues with stuttering and hitching while driving even at 30fps.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If this game is taxing a pro, its gonna stress older PC's pretty hard I would've thought. Obviously guys with high-end rigs gonna see better results, but that should be a certainty anyway.

dark10x

If this game is taxing a pro, its gonna stress older PC's pretty hard I would've thought. Obviously guys with high-end rigs gonna see better results, but that should be a certainty anyway.
I suspect you're right. This might not be as easy to run as some people think. We shall see!

Banned
It was missing visual effects at launch, though. Console versions were excellent at launch with a near perfect 30fps. Most rigs were showing issues with stuttering and hitching while driving even at 30fps.
Perhaps.

Gsync was a godsend for that game.

danmaku

Target 60 fps then overload the hardware and miss the target? yup, it's classic Platinum. Not that the game will be unplayable, but sometimes I wish they'd give more attention to performance than visuals. At least this time we have a PC version.

Luigiv

I suspect you're right. This might not be as easy to run as some people think. We shall see!

I assume the game is going to have a 60fps cap and my monitor is only 1080p, so in such a chase, my 1070 is ready. But anyway, I'll wait for you're analysis before dropping any money.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Really doubt it after Revengeance, which ran really well but just had poor scaling options.

Smo21

Didn't this game only start development early 2015? Not to suprise if it's unoptimized with such a short dev cycle

Miker

Really doubt it after Revengeance, which ran really well but just had poor scaling options.

Revengeance could see decent frame rate dips even on more powerful PCs if you went crazy with blade mode. We'll see what happens with this one.

Xater

Jeez, for some people any footage at all is a spoiler. Just don't look at anything f you are so sensitive to this stuff.

I have to say I am slightly bummed out by the performance. The way the game looks I expected at least a locked 60 on PS4 Pro. Maybe some patches will tweak some of the weirder performance drops. I am probably going to wait for a sale anyway, because there are too many games right now.

bodine1231

I don't know how this thing stutters on PS4 pro but it does,a lot. It's not like there are a ton of effects either, it looks like a mid gen PS3 game with some atrocious texture work. It also locked up on me 3 times.

Aeana

If you sleep on this game because of the performance issues, you're really missing out on an incredible game. I do hope the PC version offers a stutter-free experience, but while every issue mentioned is very noticeable, it isn't a big enough deal to skip such a gem. Even for someone like me who tends to get motion sickness from unstable framerates, I don't get that at all with this game. Might have something to do with my camera settings, though.

-shadow-

So typical PG+ where the framerate has problems from (many) parts of the game? Part of the course I guess, can't wait for the PC release!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Possible, the odd thing about the performance of this game though is that the 900p profile for stock PS4 suggests the game is gpu heavy, yet doubling the gpu capability with Pro and adding in some relatively low impact enhancements doesn't seem to do being doing much.

Extrapolate that out to 1440p and what sort of gpu is gonna be required?

UrbanRats

Just got finished watching. For those who want the summary:
Game runs 1080p on PS4 Pro, 900p on base PS4, with no anti-aliasing or motion blur for the latter
In most instances the PS4 Pro handily beats the PS4 in maintaining a higher framerate, though neither consistently achieves a locked 60 FPS
In some instances, mainly flying segments, the base PS4 actually beats the PS4 Pro in terms of performance
Main issues are high enemy counts and particle effects, though even some quiet scenes make the systems - especially base PS4 - drop significantly
Thanks, want to go in as blind as possible.

I hope the pc port will be decent.

dark10x

If you sleep on this game because of the performance issues, you're really missing out on an incredible game. I do hope the PC version offers a stutter-free experience, but while every issue mentioned is very noticeable, it isn't a big enough deal to skip such a gem. Even for someone like me who tends to get motion sickness from unstable framerates, I don't get that at all with this game. Might have something to do with my camera settings, though.
Yes! Even with these issues, it's an amazing game and should be enjoyed by all.

I can't recommend it enough.

Elandyll

Banned
Will play on PC. On my 65in 4k tv. On my couch.
I see a PC master racer was quick to take the bait, as expected.

I have a very solid Gaming Laptop myself, but as I was indicating by my point, experiences, priorities and environment vary people to people.

As per Platinum, I don't know them particularly except that they seem to be held in pretty high esteem on the forum no?

Guess I'll wait to hear about PC performance before I decide where to get this game. Not confident it will be particularly good there either at this point.

Kremzeek

Disappointing coming from Platinum, particularly for those who own a Pro.

I don't think any Platinum game has ever had antialiasing, and all their games have frame rate issues when they fill up the screen with explosions etc.

Sure it's a bummer that their games aren't locked 60 with supersampling, but I always have a blast with their games and I certainly never regret buying them.

dmr87

I've played for about 10 hours (on a Pro) and the framerate haven't messed with my gameplay so far. It's mostly noticeable when you run through certain places in the world. Should also say that my console has never been this loud when playing a game, also depends on the area.

Question, could the open world stutter be tied to loading? Or does it persist if you stop and wait in the same place? Haven't tried it myself, but I also don't have frame-times and framerates at hand.

Top Bottom