• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Nier Automata PS4/PS4 Pro Final Code Comparison + Frame-Rate Test

Aeana

I've played for about 10 hours (on a Pro) and the framerate haven't messed with my gameplay so far. It's mostly noticeable when you run through certain places in the world. Should also say that my console has never been this loud when playing a game, also depends on the area.

Question, could the open world stutter be tied to loading? Or does it persist if you stop and wait in the same place? Haven't tried it myself, but I also don't have frame-times and framerates at hand.
Some of it definitely seems to be related to loading.

DF should test if having an SSD alleviates those problems if so.

Or maybe it's RAM? I dunno.
I was thinking/hoping the same, but I can only imagine there are tons of reasons why'd there be a bottle neck.

An SSD benefits the time it takes to load assets on a blank loading screen, but maybe has no improvement on the performance strain when loading in real time.

burgerdog

Well I noticed that in the demo, The cutscenes even have the aliaising of the PS4 version, then when the gameplay comes suddenly the alisaisng disappears and the IQ gets better due to the higher resolution.

That's so damn weird. 99% of the time games use the best platform available to make cutscenes out of. I wonder if the cutscenes had already been pre rendered before they got their pro units. Are the cutscenes that demanding that a ps4 couldn't do them in real time?

Grief.exe

That's so damn weird. 99% of the time games use the best platform available to make cutscenes out of. I wonder if the cutscenes had already been pre rendered before they got their pro units. Are the cutscenes that demanding that a ps4 couldn't do them in real time?

Why wouldn't they use the PC version to render the cutscenes?

Gitaroo

cut scene being 900p probably means the game was very far into development when they have to add pro support. Still sucks but I guess reshade on PC can also apply smaa to the video cut scenes. Personally I hate pre recorded videos unless its high quality CG, they takes up tons of space on the HDD and compression quality is always very bad. They should have done most cut scene in real time, nothing from the demo looks impossible even on standard ps4. Gravity Rush 2 is also another game that uses pre recorded videos, which is even more lame consider you get to wear different outfit in game but they don't show up in cut scene.

burgerdog

Why wouldn't they use the PC version to render the cutscenes?

You're asking what I'm asking. Who the hell knows.

cut scene being 900p probably means the game was very far into development when they have to add pro support. Still sucks but I guess reshade on PC can also apply smaa to the video cut scenes. Personally I hate pre recorded videos unless its high quality CG, they takes up tons of space on the HDD and compression quality is always very bad. They should have done most cut scene in real time, nothing from the demo looks impossible even on standard ps4. Gravity Rush 2 is also another game that uses pre recorded videos, which is even more lame consider you get to wear different outfit in game but they don't show up in cut scene.

Didn't like that about Gravity Rush 2, the compression was really poor. Kingdom Hearts .2 also seems to use a lot of pre-rendered cutscenes, so you can't see your customized Aqua in cutscenes.

killatopak

Cutscenes were probably made when ps4 was the only platform announced which means they were very far in development. The game got delayed after all. Probably to avoid FFXV.

Man, I wish Platinum Game's software performance was as legendary as their mastery of the action genre.

Didn't stop bayonneta from scoring high and in Nier's case it looks to be scoring high from the few reviews I have seen. Scores were mostly 90+.

Durante

I don't want to watch anything, but are the 900p cutscenes also with no AA?

Because that will be fucking rough going from, say, 1440p with AA to 900p no AA. Might be worthwhile to write a specific injector to run SMAA on them at their native resolution.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't want to watch anything, but are the 900p cutscenes also with no AA?

Because that will be fucking rough going from, say, 1440p with AA to 900p no AA. Might be worthwhile to write a specific injector to run SMAA on them at their native resolution.
Yeah. 900p. No AA and 30fps. They look terrible.

MaLDo

Better get ready for that injector then :p.

It could be glorious. I can think of more games that suffered it like Lord of Shadows with 720p noAA cinematics.

How could you guess a cinematic is running? Injecting the specific decoder?

Grief.exe

Wait is this coming to PC?

Leaked date pointed to the 10th of March, but nothing confirmed.

Sony likely holds the exclusive marketing rights, which restricts information on the PC version until after the PS4 release. This practice has occurred multiple times, though impossible to explicitly prove other than past precedent and obvious intent.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Wait I was told just the demo had this set up and the final version Pro would hit above 1080p 60fps

Durante

It could be glorious. I can think of more games that suffered it like Lord of Shadows with 720p noAA cinematics.

How could you guess a cinematic is running? Injecting the specific decoder?
Generally, I'd assume the frame to be uploaded from the host to a 1600x900 buffer on the GPU in a specific format before being presented. You'd run the AA right after data is transferred to the buffer.

d00d3n

Sony gave me my money back for my PSN preorder, so I am getting this for PC. PS4 Pro version seems okayish, though.

MaLDo

Generally, I'd assume the frame to be uploaded from the host to a 1600x900 buffer on the GPU in a specific format before being presented. You'd run the AA right after data is transferred to the buffer.

Usually games that do that don't change screen resolution for cinematics but scale video decoding to game resolution. Surely you will find a way btw

Playing on the pro (digital) and I only really experience big drops/jitter when loading a new new main area or in a big fight with lots of particle effects.

Regardless, while it may not be the prettiest game to look at sometimes, I can't help but get pulled into the world and characters, really enjoying the game so far. (On route B currently.)

Banned
If you sleep on this game because of the performance issues, you're really missing out on an incredible game. I do hope the PC version offers a stutter-free experience, but while every issue mentioned is very noticeable, it isn't a big enough deal to skip such a gem. Even for someone like me who tends to get motion sickness from unstable framerates, I don't get that at all with this game. Might have something to do with my camera settings, though.
How much is Square paying you, you shill?

;)

Durante

Usually games that do that don't change screen resolution for cinematics but scale video decoding to game resolution.
Well yes, that is the scenario I am describing. The video data would get uploaded to a texture which is the native resolution of the video in question. (And then later rendered to the screen)
After the upload is where you'd run the AA.

Durante

Is it possible that the engine/game itself is just not optimized? I mean, if games like Horizon Zero Dawn can run on PS4 pro flawlessly, then I'd imagine game like this could do the same.
Of course it's not perfectly optimized -- but that's besides the point of determining which hardware components are the bottleneck in which situation. There will still be one or more component which, if more powerful, would improve the framerate. Determining which those are is interesting from a technical perspective, and also to estimate what you can expect on a given PC in terms of resolution/IQ/framerate.

Cleve

Disappointing coming from Platinum, particularly for those who own a Pro.

Is it really? Platinum have made some good games, but they're hardly technical masters. Everyone's quick to defend them with "rushed" or "budget" but let's face it, a lot of their games struggle.

That said, the pro looks and (for the majority) runs better. Real shame about low-res cut scenes though.

Atolm

Everyone is talking about those cutscenes, but are they in real time to begin with?

I play on a 1440p monitor and one of the most jarring things is jumping from gameplay with nice AA/Downsampling to pre-recorded Bink Vídeo cutscenes. I can't imagine how it's going to be when we jump to 4k monitors in a few years.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The demo looked and ran really well on Pro, and other than an odd hitch, looks like full game is the same way. I'm not complaining.

Everyone is talking about those cutscenes, but are they in real time to begin with?
No, sadly they are videos captured from base PS4. 900p, no AA and 30FPS to boot. Real shame how they handled that.

Top Bottom