• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF on Zelda Switch: Docked has major frame drops, portable doesn't (no score talk)

spekkeh

Banned
Played it for some 15 hours and I actually had no problems until yesterday evening. Well some infrequent drops, but no more than in other open world games. The villages (well Kakariko and Hateno) ran without a hitch. Which made all the complaints about the villages weird (unless you're playing on Wii U). But yesterday being in a wooded area in daytime close to Hyrule Castle and Calamity Ganon, it was definitely chugging along. Once in fifteen hours is fine with me, but odd that performance seems to be inconsistent among players. Perhaps one of the weather settings plays a part here. It's no Far Cry 3 or GTAV on last gens consoles though, luckily.

Justinian

I'm almost 100% certain Nintendo will be releasing patches to improve performance for this.

My theory is that they rushed the tail end of development to port it over to Switch as a launch title, since the launch date of Switch was set in stone. My guess is that finalizing all possible content and bug fixes were top priority with this new release date, and performance was left to the wayside to be worked on later as a result.

There is simply no way in my mind that Nintendo, the absolute masters of game polish would let a first party title (let alone a historic GOAT contender like this) remain in the state of performance that it's in now.

Game runs fine on WiiU overall imo.

Yes it get's bad in towns, but not all the time in my experience. The low resolution and lack of anti-aliasing bothers me way more...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm almost 100% certain Nintendo will be releasing patches to improve performance for this.

My theory is that they rushed the tail end of development to port it over to Switch as a launch title, since the launch date of Switch was set in stone. My guess is that finalizing all possible content and bug fixes were top priority with this new release date, and performance was left to the wayside to be worked on later as a result.

There is simply no way in my mind that Nintendo, the absolute masters of game polish would let a first party title (let alone a historic GOAT contender like this) remain in the state of performance that it's in now.

How would they know they need to focus on this? Fans bought an enormous amount of copies of it, it got mostly perfect 10 reviews all around, and tons of fans are showering it with praise anyways (there are problems with the frame rate, but the fans complaining are nowhere near as numerous as the ones that choose not to). There is no business value in improving the game beyond its current state, so let's see how much they care beyond it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Played it for some 15 hours and I actually had no problems until yesterday evening. Well some infrequent drops, but no more than in other open world games. The villages (well Kakariko and Hateno) ran without a hitch. Which made all the complaints about the villages weird (unless you're playing on Wii U). But yesterday being in a wooded area in daytime close to Hyrule Castle and Calamity Ganon, it was definitely chugging along. Once in fifteen hours is fine with me, but odd that performance seems to be inconsistent among players. Perhaps one of the weather settings plays a part here. It's no Far Cry 3 or GTAV on last gens consoles though, luckily.

The weather definitely plays a role in it. It always happens for me when there are 2-3 things happening at the same time on the screen. Like tall grass plus several enemies. Or tall grass plus rain in some parts. And so on.

NimbusD

Yeah it drops a bit more... but I have drops in handheld too. Worth it for the resolution bump over wii u. That was rough, glad I switched over to switch before I got too far.

I don't think Nintendo has ever come out with performance patches. There's a first time for everything, but considering how botw is met with universal appraise, they are less likely imp willing to spend time improving it(if it can be)

NimbusD

Switch was pushed back because of Zelda. It wasn't rushed. The performance is fine. It stutters but nothing that makes it unplayable. People are getting way too bent out of shape over not much.

Switch was pushed back because of Zelda. It wasn't rushed. The performance is fine. It stutters but nothing that makes it unplayable. People are getting way too bent out of shape over not much.

Comments like this are hilarious. Just because you're not as sensitive to this stuff doesn't mean it's not a problem. I still haven't played FF15 because of performance issues in Pro mode, and that game actually maintains 30 fps (with terrible frame pacing).

If it doesn't bother you that's fine. But some of us have higher standards for performance and your opinion doesn't discount that.

Lom1lo

The performance isnt fine. Its really bad sometimes. Currently Im in a jungle area, add rain and you get a slide Show. This game is outstanding, but the Framerate is terrible while docked and I hope Nintendo will fix this.

Turrican3

I don't think Nintendo has ever come out with performance patches. There's a first time for everything, but considering how botw is met with universal appraise, they are less likely imp willing to spend time improving it(if it can be)
Problem is, they can actually improve the game with (almost literally) zero efforts: all they have to do is add an option to run the game at 720p while docked, which is exactly what the system is already capable of in handheld mode. :-\

Justinian

Nintendo HAS come out with performance patches.

Comments like this are hilarious. Just because you're not as sensitive to this stuff doesn't mean it's not a problem. I still haven't played FF15 because of performance issues in Pro mode, and that game actually maintains 30 fps (with terrible frame pacing).

If it doesn't bother you that's fine. But some of us have higher standards for performance and your opinion doesn't discount that.

It's not just the players that have a higher standard for performance, it's that Nintendo has, before now, had VERY HIGH standards for performance. That's why this situation doesn't sit right.

Boost mode? Let people choose to play games in handheld settings on their TV?

Boost mode should just be running at full Nvidia Shield Tegra X1 clocks while docked. The Switch reportedly runs at a lower clockspeed than the Shield even when docked.

But if the rumors that it's an issue with memory bandwidth constraints are true, then I'm not sure if any arbitrary clockspeed will solve the issue. I don't think there is any way to overclock the memory.

King_Moc

Banned
Boost mode should just be running at full Nvidia Shield Tegra X1 clocks while docked. The Switch reportedly runs at a lower clockspeed than the Shield even when docked.

But if the rumors that it's an issue with memory bandwidth constraints are true, then I'm not sure if any arbitrary clockspeed will solve the issue. I don't think there is any way to overclock the memory.

The frame drops aren't inconsistent like you would expect if it was a normal performance issue. It seems to drop from exactly 30fps, to around (I would guess) exactly 20fps, and rarely anywhere inbetween. That suggests to me it's either a vsync issue or something with the memory. The memory thing would explain why 720p portable mode is fine, as it would have a lower memory requirement.

Hermii

The frame drops aren't inconsistent like you would expect if it was a normal performance issue. It seems to drop from exactly 30fps, to around (I would guess) exactly 20fps, and rarely anywhere inbetween. That suggests to me it's either a vsync issue or something with the memory. The memory thing would explain why 720p portable mode is fine, as it would have a lower memory requirement.

This game is designed around the 1gb memory limitation of the Wii U, so Switches 3.25 gb should be plenty.

I think it could be the cpu. 3 cores 1 ghz A57 is pretty slow.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've definitely noticed some drops, but so far it honestly haven't been as bad as I expected. It's pretty rare, and never lasts for very long. But I'm not all that far into the game yet, so maybe it gets worse. The biggest issue is that any time it does drop it drops straight down to 20fps. The game might actually be running at 29.5fps, but because of what looks like double-buffered v-sync the end result is much worse. Please patch in a better v-sync solution, Nintendo. Or do something else to keep it consistently above 30.

Handheld mode seems perfect (from what I've played, but again that's not all that much yet).

The StreetPass Plaza got updated to 60 fps.

Hermii

There is no need for performance patches when almost all their games have perfect frame rates.

They will continue working on the game anyway for dlc, so I dont think its that unlikely.

icespide

Banned
There is no need for performance patches when almost all their games have perfect frame rates.

They will continue working on the game anyway for dlc, so I dont think its that unlikely.
people keep saying this but actually 3D zeldas do not have a great track record with frame rates

icespide

Banned
The Wii and everything older didn't allow for patches, so it wasn't an option. I guess you have a point with the HD remakes.
i know but you were saying almost all of their games have perfect frame rates which strictly speaking about 3D zeldas that is certainly not the case. patches or no

King_Moc

Banned
This game is designed around the 1gb memory limitation of the Wii U, so Switches 3.25 gb should be plenty.

I think it could be the cpu. 3 cores 1 ghz A57 is pretty slow.

But it runs fine in portable mode? And outside of the screen resolution (which shouldn't affect CPU) it doesn't look like many settings have been altered between the two modes.

I've definitely noticed some drops, but so far it honestly haven't been as bad as I expected. It's pretty rare, and never lasts for very long. But I'm not all that far into the game yet, so maybe it gets worse. The biggest issue is that any time it does drop it drops straight down to 20fps. The game might actually be running at 29.5fps, but because of what looks like double-buffered v-sync the end result is much worse. Please patch in a better v-sync solution, Nintendo. Or do something else to keep it consistently above 30.

This is what I think it is. You'd have thought a gsync style solution was possible these days, considering who's making the thing.

Hermii

i know but you were saying almost all of their games have perfect frame rates which strictly speaking about 3D zeldas that is certainly not the case. patches or no

I was mostly thinking about their first party output on Wii U, as thats their first patchable system.

icespide

Banned
Which 3D Zelda games have subpar frame rates? OoT/Majora's were designed around 20fps so they don't count.
all of them have drops, especially the HD remasters. don't get me wrong i'm not saying their frame rates are shit or are even as bad as BOTW but people keep repeating this idea about nintendo and perfect frame rates and i'm just pointing out that for Zelda specifically that isn't true

RoadHazard

Gold Member
people keep saying this but actually 3D zeldas do not have a great track record with frame rates

Actually, they do. I don't know why some people keep repeating this. All previous 3D Zeldas run more or less locked at their target framerates, outside some specific situations.

I can't tell if this is a joke or not? Help

? It's true.

all of them have drops, especially the HD remasters. don't get me wrong i'm not saying their frame rates are shit or are even as bad as BOTW but people keep repeating this idea about nintendo and perfect frame rates and i'm just pointing out that for Zelda specifically that isn't true

I think when people say "3D Zeldas" they generally refer to the original versions, not the remasters. I haven't played those, maybe you're right about them.

I don't even.

What don't you even?

This is what I think it is. You'd have thought a gsync style solution was possible these days, considering who's making the thing.

That wouldn't really work, since TVs don't support that. But triple-buffered v-sync would be nice.

zoukka

Yeah shadow maps and the Sheikah ability grid destroy the framerate which is unfortunate. Outside of those situation I haven't been bothered by the drops really.

Justinian

None of them have significant drops. The worst offenders are the remasters, and they only drop occasionally and much less severely than BotW.

I can't tell if this is a joke or not? Help

Care to elaborate why it would be a joke?

sirap

I love this game so much I'd buy a Switch and double-dip in a heartbeat if Nintendo fixed the docked performance. Coming back to the Wii-U version after playing Horizon is...rough.

LowParry

I haven't seen like levels of Ico/SOTC slowdowns but I've seen them a few times. But nothing that's ruined my experience with the game when docked.

my investigation regarding the severe frame drops:
it has something to do with the immense "3D interactive" skybox and the (weather, lightning etc) effects it spawns.

having played my fair share of high end triple A open world games, I do have to say that BotW's skybox plus it's features is among the best (if not the best) I have seen in a game so far and it's definitely too much for the WiiU and perhaps even the switch. even though I think the switch version might be poorly "tuned".
maybe a patch will help (the switch version)

another thing: the engine they used for BotW might be the same as the Xenoblade X engine. or at least it's based on it.
Xenoblade X (IMO a technical marvel that it even runs so good on WiiU) runs pretty constant 30fps though BUT completley lacks the mighty BotW 3D skybox plus it's impressive lightning. maybe that's thing which brings WiiU and the switch to it's knees
I guess that would makes sense

oti

Banned
After reading some impressions I was expecting some terrible Slowdowns all around. All I got in 7h of playtime so far were two, hours apart even. I can live with that just fine.

Tried both handheld and docked. Docked is totally fine.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
my investigation regarding the severe frame drops:
it has something to do with the immense "3D interactive" skybox and the (weather, lightning etc) effects it spawns.

having played my fair share of high end triple A open world games, I do have to say that BotW's skybox plus it's features is among the best (if not the best) I have seen in a game so far and it's definitely too much for the WiiU and perhaps even the switch. even though I think the switch version might be poorly "tuned".
maybe a patch will help (the switch version)

another thing: the engine they used for BotW might be the same as the Xenoblade X engine. or at least it's based on it.
Xenoblade X (IMO a technical marvel that it even runs so good on WiiU) runs pretty constant 30fps though BUT completley lacks the mighty BotW 3D skybox plus it's impressive lightning. maybe that's thing which brings WiiU and the switch to it's knees
I guess that would makes sense

I doubt it has much to do with the skybox per se. More likely it's because of memory bandwidth-heavy alpha effects. Combine all that grass with some rain and stuff, and there you go.

23qwerty

Today, yes. On the N64 it was common. But if you don't understand how that's not the point I can't help you.

I am simply responding to someone asking which 3D Zelda games have subpar framerates and them saying that the OoT and Majora both have 20fps in the same sentence?

?????????????????????

what the fuck? my dude? are you talking about? Jesus christ
Which 3D Zelda games have subpar frame rates? OoT/Majora's were designed around 20fps so they don't count.

Alienous

Frame drops in a Nintendo experience just feel bizarre. Their games tend to always be technically proficient experiences. So seamless infact that I often have to remind myself that these are games that have game engines that had to be developed and implemented - they just feel like the idea for a game implemented perfectly.

Docked Switch performance is consistently disappointing. Just roaming the world I'll get frame drops, and entering any area that is heavily populated with objects results in a noticeable decrease in performance. Forest areas run poorly, much like the Wii U gameplay shown at The Game Awards. I encountered one area, a Shrine surrounded by grass and spikes, and the performance was so terrible I just decided to continue playing in handheld mode rather than struggle through it.

It's an ambitious game, so it's understandable, but that barely makes it less disappointing. The execution of the game is so flawless in every other aspect (except maybe voice acting) that the performance issues really stand out.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I am simply responding to someone asking which 3D Zelda games have subpar framerates and them saying that the OoT and Majora both have 20fps in the same sentence?

?????????????????????

what the fuck? my dude? are you talking about? Jesus christ

I'm talking about the difference between a low target framerate, which you get used to, and frequent severe drops, which never stop being jarring. This thread is about the latter.

Top Bottom