• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] The Last Of Us Part 2 - PS4 Pro - Hands-On First Impressions

Speculating on how it can be showcased on PS5, potentially

Conceivably, titles like TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima could allow Sony to make a dramatic statement on its own rendition of Microsoft's 'smart delivery' - buy the game now and enjoy it on PS4, then transition across to PlayStation 5 where the developer could deploy the system's horsepower to deliver a raft of advancements. Perhaps The Last of Us Remastered hints at some of the possibilities there - 60 frames per second and/or higher resolution, for example.

John ( D dark10x ) and Rich give us his hands on impressions playing the game on PS4 Pro

- Review build is still 1440p at 30fps, but ND's temporal AA solution is phenomenal
- "Image quality is still very very good, but not perfect"
- Clear evolution of ND's technology this generation, starting from UC4, to LL, now this
- ND has focused a ton of effort on fidelity, the nitty gritty details, the quality of materials, ambient shadows, indirect lighting, the way grass moves and blows as you move through it, etc
- Impressed with use of screen space reflections combo'd with carefully places cube maps
- Fluidity of movement is "just remarkable," references little things like there are numerous animations for how Ellie can fall off a ledge depending on her positioning and speed, etc
- Companion AI and companion usefulness much improved this time around
- World/areas/maps are definitely more open
- "Kinda the best looking game they have made, but in a different way"
- Finish by speculating which directions they could go with PS5 patch/BC

Last edited:
Not too long now for those anticipating this to get their hands on it. Visually looks stunning, gameplay and game mechanics should be pretty sound. Just hoping the story isn't the bleak subversion of expectations the leaks suggested.

I know it's a zombie apocalypse and all, but you can still have some optimism/hope in there. Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead were great at this IMHO.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I know it's a zombie apocalypse and all, but you can still have some optimism/hope in there. Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead were great at this IMHO.
But every apocalypse is different in the world of "TLOU" there is not much hope, even there is proper "cure" it wont do any good since 20 years has passed after outbreak and at that point virus already succeed destroying the society as we know.

And there is apocalypse in Nier Gestalt. which gives you false hope. You think you are saving humanity but in the end you find out you actually destroying it and no matter what ending you choose it wont end well for humans.

scalman

so that supersampled on 1080p will look even more amazing , cant wait. my Pro HDD is not ready for this but i will delete someting along the way

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
I'm really disappointing there's no 60 FPS option, that made TLOU 2 feel so much more "gamey" as a result compared to PS3 and I had a blast with it! I BARELY cared about the story and I still don't know if I care about the 2nds, but it's the closets thing we have to a stealth game in 4 years.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I think Jon kinda nailed it early into the video when he said that at first glance, it almost doesn't really seem all that impressive but it's more about the combination of a lot of little touches.

Top Bottom