• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Xbone Specs/Tech Analysis: GPU 33% less powerful than PS4

I still don't buy that story. I cannot believe that MS engineers somehow expected it to be impossible to get at least 4 GB GDDR5 into a console in 2013 -- they aren't GAF posters.

8 GB was more uncertain, but I'm sure they didn't expect to be restricted to 2 GB because of GDDR5 densities.

Still Durante the OS is confirm being 3GB .
So even if they thought they could get 4GB it would have been 1 left back for games .
They would have had to change there plans on certain things which is what they did not want to do .

You have a point there. The Cell was difficult to develop for and required specific development to be taken advantage of. Here we have 2 very similar architectures, so it's a different situation. Developers will be able to tap into the additional power very easily, so even if they target the XboxOne, the PS4 port should have a few easy advantages.

As for price I think both will retail for about the same. The XboxOne BOM might be cheaper, but Kinect is certainly more expensive than the PSEye so it might end up being a wash. This is not counting rumored subsidized prices on getting a Live contract for a few years. I fully expect both to launch at $449-$499.

That on-chip RAM in the One ain't cheap, though. So it'll definitely add to the BOM.

What if MS cockblocks better multiplatforms with moneyhats though?!

"Here's some cash to not overwork yourselves."

There's no extra work required. They can make games look better by changing a couple of lines of code or do nothing and let their game run with a higher and/or more stable framerate. Even the most cynical efforts will be better on PS4.

i'd be willing to bet the majority of people have old boxes that do not support cec. christ, 4 years ago comcast could only give me a box with component out

Comcast mostly uses some ancient Scientific Atlanta boxes (you know the one. It's silver) that basically had HDMI added as an afterthought.

I've missed most of yesterday's hooplah, but what's the word on their CPU? Is it an 8 core jaguar, identical to the PS4's, or has it been (heavily) modified to have more gain?

If MS had all this money to moneyhat every possible thing...wouldn't they just use that money to build a system on par or better than the ps4 in the first place?

This MS moneyhatting fantasy needs to die.

1-D_FTW

DF and Verge are both a bit clueless about the TV functionality. HDMI-CEC should be in almost all recent cable boxes (and many people are lazy and renting their box which means they could probably upgrade for free if not). The IR blaster is just a last resort.

Or maybe they just have shitty providers with a monopoly. My Comcast has super outdated boxes, but all you get with the website is instructions to wait a little longer for newer models to be supported in the area.

As for renting, good luck. It's not like you can buy used boxes. I looked into replacing the cable modem. I could get one fairly cheap online. But it's not just that Comcast refuses to authorize any modem that's been used, they'll only authorize a single new modem. And it has to be done at Best Buy. It's 150 dollars. That's a real rip off compared to buying the identical model elsewhere, but at least it's an option. But, oh wait. You can't buy it online. It has to be at a Best Buy with a mini-Comcast store inside it. Despite a ton of Best Buy's around me, the closest one with a mini-Comcast store is 150 miles away. These fucks have you by the balls and exploit it to keep you renting.

Kosma

Banned
I've missed most of yesterday's hooplah, but what's the word on their CPU? Is it an 8 core jaguar, identical to the PS4's, or has it been (heavily) modified to have more gain?

It's just a matter of turning up settings basically seeing how close these consoles are. Or just better fps with same settings.

With this kind of gulf in power, can the XB1 still be considered a Next Gen console?

Yes, because it'll at least get the same games the PS4 has. The WiiU on the other hand, is very much a current gen console with a fancy controller. We'll see more out of XB1 games at E3. At least, we should see more. It might just be more TV.

So here is the question:

How will this 33% power deficit with the One affect PS4 versions of multiplat titles?

Will they be held back? Will they simply see improved framerates? Toss in an extra particle effect here and there? We saw this generation several instances where the PS3 got the shit end of the stick on ports. We know a lot of that had to do with the difficulty of development vs the ease of the 360, so I'm wondering what we should expect this time around. Aren't games usually developed for the least common denominator, which in this case will be the One?

trmas

Banned
Why do you say this? Plenty of multiplats looked better on xbox than PS2 and those had different tech inside.

This time out the basic CPU and GPU are using the same design with some tweaks, it should be (relatively) easy for a developer to make a game to 100% for the PS4 and then turn shit down for the XBONE.

If you think MS will allow a better port on the PS4, you are brain dead. They actually had an agreement this generation that no games would look better than the 360 version. They will hamstring the developers, and the developers will take it.

Because MS will make it worth their while. End users will suffer, though most sheep will have no idea and run to MS with fistfuls of cash for the latest CoD installment which looks no better than the previous one.

thuway

Back when PS4 still had 4 GB GDDR5 I heard a comparison similar to Gamecube to Xbox. Where Gamecube was Xbox One and Xbox was PS4.

Yep which really adds to the BoM. ESRAM isn't cheap. Cerny design with PS4 is much better all around. MS is probably really pissed an upset that they built a more expensive architecture(as far the memory set up is concerned) thats also needlessly more complex and inferior all at the same time. I'm sure this wasn't there original intention. The more expensive memory setup also took away from there budget for the GPU. Anotherwards the reason you probably only have a 1.2tflop GPU in Xbox One is because of the inclusion of the ESRAM. Sometimes its just the way the cookie crumbles. Heres what I mean...

MS made the choice to have 8gb of DDR3 RAM from the get go because of there focus on non gaming related features with the OS. So they designed there system architecture around this. They had no idea back then that GDDR5 would be ready in time, as far as chip densities go. So knowning 8GB of RAM was a priority, they therefor had to go with the only for sure way to achieve that, at the time.

Where as Sony had started out with 4gb of GDDR5, and designed there architecture around this. Then probably 6 months ago they realized they would be able to achieve 8gb because of the chip densities. It was now very simple for them to double the RAM.

Really everything just worked out better for Sony, the stars aligned for them, you could almost say a little bit of luck was involved. MS was in no position to make a change to counter them.

This is my theory I posted last night in another thread. I see DF shares my thoughts exactly! :)

spekkeh

Banned
I'm probably a bit dense, but the idea with Sony's architecture was that the GDDR memory was shared between the CPU and GPU right? How does that work with MS' 8GB of DDR? Is that the total amount split between the CPU and GPU? If so what's the split? Or is it for the CPU and does the GPU have extra RAM?

So here is the question:

How will this 33% power deficit with the One affect PS4 versions of multiplat titles?

Will they be held back? Will they simply see improved framerates? Toss in an extra particle effect here and there? We saw this generation several instances where the PS3 got the shit end of the stick on ports. We know a lot of that had to do with the difficulty of development vs the ease of the 360, so I'm wondering what we should expect this time around. Aren't games usually developed for the least common denominator, which in this case will be the One?

More stable framerates, extra particles, higher resolution, etc.

Shai-Tan

Banned
i'd be willing to bet the majority of people have old boxes that do not support cec. christ, 4 years ago comcast could only give me a box with component out

and those boxes were end of line at that point. The boxes they have now are two generations newer. sure a lot of people keep old boxes that continue to be compatible but a lot of people can also upgrade them for free

Massa

If MS had all this money to moneyhat every possible thing...wouldn't they just use that money to build a system on par or better than the ps4 in the first place?

This MS moneyhatting fantasy needs to die.

The silicon budget for the Xbox One wasn't necessarily smaller than the PS4, they just didn't make as good a use of it. Probably because they were aiming for an earlier launch.

Also buying exclusives is much cheaper. To double the RAM on the 360 they had to spend what - 1 billion? Exclusive content on GTA IV was rumored to cost them 50 million dollars, which they got back in royalties. Much cheaper.

There's no fantasy at all here that Microsoft can spend money to make exclusives, even Jack Tretton has said as much.

and those boxes were end of line at that point. The boxes they have now are two generations newer

You're really underestimating the penny-pinching capability of Comcast. If you subscribe for HD service, but don't want to pay the DVR fee, they still give you that component box. This happened to me when I got them six months ago. When I asked for something with HDMI, he said I had to upgrade to the DVR.

Kosma

Banned
So here is the question:

There really is no question that PS4 multiplats will be better with such a difference in power.
The digital foundry article already suggests that the One RAM architechture is more complex to program for since its not unified like the PS4.

The question is how much better.

Looking at the graphics so far, I'm hardpressed to believe that Wii U cannot accomplish what XB1 has done so far.

With this kind of gulf in power, can the XB1 still be considered a Next Gen console?

iudrAHikYud3D.gif

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm probably a bit dense, but the idea with Sony's architecture was that the GDDR memory was shared between the CPU and GPU right? How does that work with MS' 8GB of DDR? Is that the total amount split between the CPU and GPU? If so what's the split? Or is it for the CPU and does the GPU have extra RAM?

The 8GB is shared between CPU and GPU like on PS4. There's no hard split, it's up to the application what it wants to allocate memory for.

Bandwidth isn't so unified on Xbox One though.

So here is the question:

it's all about popularity in regards to software sales on each platform.

if the ps4 is the runaway winner there will be a big difference, and developers will use that extra power to great effect, and the xbox version will be essentially gimped.

if the xbox is the runaway winner then they'll build for that and the ps4 version will have slightly better effects & gfx, and will essentially be an upscaled gimped version.

just depends where the customers are.

TheExodu5

Banned
So, from what we've heard here, the silicon budget for both the XBone and PS4 are roughly the same. What would explain the discrepency in terms of GPU performance? Does the XBone's eSRAM reside on the main die? In that case, maybe it took up space that could have been otherwise dedicated to those 6 extra CUs.

So, from what we've heard here, the silicon budget for both the XBone and PS4 are roughly the same. What would explain the discrepency in terms of GPU performance? Does the XBone's eSRAM reside on the main die? In that case, maybe it took up space that could have been otherwise dedicated to those 6 extra CUs.

Winner

TheExodu5

Banned

if the ps4 is the runaway winner there will be a big difference, and developers will use that extra power to great effect, and the xbox version will be essentially gimped.

if the xbox is the runaway winner then they'll build for that and the ps4 version will have slightly better effects & gfx, and will essentially be an upscaled gimped version.

I think the answer to his question will be greatly simplified this gen. As the architectures are virtually identical, developers are likely going to utilize the PS4's extra power for entirely scalable purposes: better anti-aliasing, better texture filtering, or better resolution are the obvious choices.

You could run PS4 games at a 33% higher resolution for free, in essence, and it wouldn't require any added work on the developer's part.

Oemenia

Banned
Every single multiplatform will look/perform better on PS4 than Xbox One. You're buying a fundamentally gimped vision of next generation gaming if you buy an Xbox One. If you play anything other than Microsoft's exclusive titles then there isn't a decision to be made, the PS4 is fundamentally the better platform for gaming.
It really will be as easy as flicking a switch but the difference wont be quite PS2/XBOX level.

SpokkX

This is what puzzles me the most

Microsoft appears to have invested a massive amount in accommodating live TV when the overall trend is moving towards time-shifted viewing and streaming media

I have not watched live tv in 10 years, stream all my media from the Internet (Netflix and so on). More and more people are doing the same in Sweden

Sweden also has very good broadband connections, almost everyone has 24mbit+
Live tv will be dead, killed by streaming media in 10 years here... The rest of the world will follow

What is MS thinking?!

I haven't followed this entire thread. Has Jeff Rigby put his two cents in? I'm really interested in the prospects of HDMI feed-thru for the PS4. I remember Jeff bringing that up multiple times and it's possibilities with the PS4.

omonimo

Banned

Kinect technology cost. That's all.

If you think MS will allow a better port on the PS4, you are brain dead. They actually had an agreement this generation that no games would look better than the 360 version. They will hamstring the developers, and the developers will take it.

Because MS will make it worth their while. End users will suffer, though most sheep will have no idea and run to MS with fistfuls of cash for the latest CoD installment which looks no better than the previous one.

Wait, what?

You're
1. Giving Microsoft way too much power over 3rd party developers
2. Dice , Bungie and Crytek ain't bowing down to Microsoft

He'll...I'd bet money Call of Duty Ghost will look or run better on PS4 than it will on xone even though cod was at Microsoft's unveiling.

spekkeh

Banned
But theoretically, DDR is better (or at least easier) for things like AI right? I know that stuff is peanuts compared to what you need to render a frame, but still. Theoretically there could be a few games that benefit from the One's setup?

(just trying to throw an xbone to the MS fanboys here)

omonimo

Banned

Uh what? It depends how much easy is to increase some effect on ps4. There is no reason to downgrade a version even if xboxone will sell more. It's like to have a better gpu in the pc.

TheExodu5

Banned
But theoretically, DDR is better (or at least easier) for things like AI right? I know that stuff is peanuts compared to what you need to render a frame, but still. Theoretically there could be a few games that benefit from the One's setup?

(just trying to throw an xbone to the MS fanboys here)

DDR3 is no different than GDDR5. They simply defer in terms of specifications somewhat. GDDR5 has higher bandwidth, while DDR3 has lower latency.

The XBone could especially benefit from situations where data that is often accessed is small enough to reside in eSRAM but too larger to reside in the L2 Cache. Whether or not that situation might arise in a game, I do not know.

Top Bottom