• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo II is still the best ARPG I've played.

I'm glad other people share my obsession. Diablo 2 is the best game ever made.

I just did some Googling and found that my old guides, four years later and very out of date, are still at the top of the page on Diablo2.com.
http://www.diablo2.com/forum/paladin-guides-f22.html

I still haven't purchased Diablo 3 because I played it at a friend's house shortly after release and it was a piece of shit.
From somebody who has played a fair amount of Diablo 2, how does Diablo 3 honestly hold up nowadays?

I played the shit out of D2. Played Diablo 3 for about 3 weeks at launch, gave up. I just came back to it after loot 2.0 patch and it's a different game. The loot has more interesting affixes, the drop rates are a lot better and the legendaries are actually great. Still, you can't beat the old battlenet system of finding games and trading. Trading has been rendered completely useless in D3. It's basically like single player D2 now but with co-op if that makes any sense.

Damaniel

Banned
Graphically the game is more than showing its age, but it's still fun as hell. I end up reinstalling it about once every 2 years or so, jump on Battle.net and go nuts for a month or two. I haven't played it since Diablo 3 came out, and between the Diablo 3 improvements and Path of Exile I'm not sure I will, but I can't think of any other game I've played that managed to distill the essence of fun into a single action packed package the way that Diablo 2 does.

I_D

till, you can't beat the old battlenet system of finding games and trading. Trading has been rendered completely useless in D3. It's basically like single player D2 now but with co-op if that makes any sense.

I know what you mean.
I'd give like... 40 SoJs for an HD version of D2. :(

Maybe I'll try D3 again. People keep talking about "Loot 2.0" like it's the best patch ever.

Mugaaz

I know what you mean.

Maybe I'll try D3 again. People keep talking about "Loot 2.0" like it's the best patch ever.

Probably has something to do with it being true. If you're not going to play D3 because everyone said it sucked, you don't get to ignore it when the same people say it's great due to the new patch.

D3 has surpassed D2 in my eyes as of D3 2.0, pre ROS.

Morokh

I know what you mean.

Always beware the GAF hype :), but give it a try.

D3 is way better with loot 2.0 than before, there is no arguing about that, but it only made it a decent game in the genre in my book not really more.
There is still plenty of things wrong with it in the core design that holds it back.

Baleoce

If Blizzard slapped Diablo 3's visuals, models and engine onto Diablo 2, I'd be playing Diablo 2 right now.

That wouldn't be appealing to me, personally. Diablo 2's aesthetic / art direction is very different to 3's. I feel if they did all of the above to D2, then they'd be ripping the soul
stone
out of it. However, if Blizzard made a remastered/high resolution version of Diablo 2 with full support for modern OS, I'd be on it in a flash.

I_D

Probably has something to do with it being true. If you're not going to play D3 because everyone said it sucked, you don't get to ignore it when the same people say it's great due to the new patch.

As much as I love your smug attitude and tough demeanor, try reading my posts so you don't give yourself away.
I played a character all the way to level 60 before deciding the game was shit.

D3 is way better with loot 2.0 than before, there is no arguing about that, but it only made it a decent game in the genre in my book not really more.
There is still plenty of things wrong with it in the core design that holds it back.

This is what I expected. A shiny turd, but a turd nonetheless.

I'll see if a friend can lend me an account to try out loot 2.0, but I'll keep the expectations to a minimum.

spirity

For me, I think PoE has surpassed D2. Its very much a love letter to D2 fans but has enough original features to stand on its own. I still dearly love D2, but its showing its age now and a bit clunky. But its still a great game I play from time to time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
For me, I think PoE has surpassed D2. Its very much a love letter to D2 fans but has enough original features to stand on its own. I still dearly love D2, but its showing its age now and a bit clunky. But its still a great game I play from time to time.

Path of Exile is cool, but for me, it just didn't get that all-important "feel" quite right. I also wasn't a huge fan of the atmosphere/aesthetic they are going for. Very cool game, though. I bought into their alpha or beta a long time ago and had a good time.

I think if PoE did a few things differently, it would destroy D2. Content-wise, there's not doubt about it. Freedom of build-wise, there's also no doubt about it. Still, I find the loot system to be frustrating; it often feels like a chore. So many useless rares and uniques, so much required currency to fix that. I also don't care for the art style and atmosphere. It feels like a grinding arena rather than an adventure in a strange land.

I still like it a lot and have put a few hundred hours into it, but eventually I keep on hitting a brick wall...of course only for that wall to be knocked down when the next big patch comes out...

Edit: The passive tree/skill gem system is the best thing to happen to the genre since Diablo 2 came out.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Maybe I just tried the wrong class or something? I came back and started a witch doctor and was just not having it.

Do you find that scaling enemies difficulty to level makes leveling feel awful? That was my impression from the start of the game. Does this get better? What's a good class to try and enjoy this game as?

heh, I actually main on a witch doctor. I don't remember for the life of me what early WD plays like, but end game WD is AOE-madness (ironically my favorite Marvel Heroes character is Scarlet Witch who I endearingly refer to as Scarlet Witch Doctor because she plays very similarly)

Scaling enemies doesn't bother me in the slightest because.... the game was technically already scaling anyway (because you progressed in acts/difficulty to get better gear). All it has basically meant for me is no more brick wall that inferno acts used to create. It also means that levels 1-60 don't have to be a stupid boring grind anymore if you don't choose.

Otherwise give Wizard or Demon Hunter a try for ranged or Barb a try for melee. All three are very solid pretty single-modal play styles.

Path of Exile is cool, but for me, it just didn't get that all-important "feel" quite right. I also wasn't a huge fan of the atmosphere/aesthetic they are going for. Very cool game, though. I bought into their alpha or beta a long time ago and had a good time.

this is my biggest thing with POE. As far as character generation/advancement, and what they've accomplished in the F2P realm, the game is an amazing testament.. but for "fun".. what they've done as far as the game system is much more impressive than what they've done with the actual content. I suspect if you and some friends get really involved in the community of the game there might be more to it.. but as just a single guy and one other buddy, we kind of got bored after a short bit of time.

I think Blizzard had an incomplete understanding of what made D2 appealing and thought that it all came down to killing tons of enemies and bosses for loot over and over again, so they designed the game to encourage that mindset, such as giving messages for killing tons of enemies quickly or the Nephalem Valor mechanic that gave magic find bonuses for killing multiple bosses in succession. I feel like they saw everything else as secondary, so they took the path of least resistance to make the story and atmosphere seem big and important, like a lot of loud, bombastic music and a general reliance on SHOCKING TWISTS to move the plot forward.
Didn't this make Diablo 3 a clone of Torchlight which was itself a Diablo clone?

So you don't like the feel of D2? cuz they're the same.

RMI

Banned
heh, I actually main on a witch doctor. I don't remember for the life of me what early WD plays like, but end game WD is AOE-madness (ironically my favorite Marvel Heroes character is Scarlet Witch who I endearingly refer to as Scarlet Witch Doctor because she plays very similarly)

Scaling enemies doesn't bother me in the slightest because.... the game was technically already scaling anyway (because you progressed in acts/difficulty to get better gear). All it has basically meant for me is no more brick wall that inferno acts used to create. It also means that levels 1-60 don't have to be a stupid boring grind anymore if you don't choose.

Otherwise give Wizard or Demon Hunter a try for ranged or Barb a try for melee. All three are very solid pretty single-modal play styles.

I'll give it another go as a wizard. Part of me just hated the sounds of the witch doctors first two basic attacks.

Does anywhere have a good price on D3? It still seems pretty expensive from Amazon and from Blizzard directly, which is kinda putting me off giving it a go, even though I'd love to as it's one of my favourite genres.

ubercheez

I don't think any game will ever enthrall me the way D2 did. It was so fun to come up with new build ideas and roll new characters.

I understand the appeal of freely respeccing whenever you want, but I loved that D2 forced you to make permanent build choices. If I saw a level 90+ using a quirky build, that had a lot more impact to me because I knew he'd been invested in that build all the way up from level 1.

Deadstar

I think I agree. If Diablo 3 would have had allowed me to customize my build I would have had a lot more fun. The rune system just isn't fun. You can't make the spells you like stronger. I want to be shooting 30 hydras on screen if I want to.

I also think the art style for D3 isn't bad, other than the characters who look horrible but it would have been more fun if the areas looked cooler. Voice acting and writing was also really goofy.

Diablo 2 had very memorable area's. The grass area, the desert, the jungle, hell. It was awesome! The monsters you fight were great. The unique and set items were pretty cool. Weapon damage didn't affect my spells which I liked much better. I hope they add D2 to the blizzard launcher.

Deadstar

You think the character class models look good? The graphics on your character are really bad. There's no detail in them and there are jaggies everywhere. I think the monster models look fine though however I do like the detailed D2 monster visuals much more.

I played PoE and while fun, it seems like you are wandering around for no reason. The quests just didn't have a punch to them. In D2 you felt like you were always moving forward, fighting different bosses and moving closer to Diablo. The writing was pretty good as well and the skills were a lot of fun. You could play any class multiple ways and max the skills you loved.

Lothars

I am sorry but PoE isn't even in the same league as Diablo 3 let alone Diablo 2. It's a good game in it's own right but it has tons of problems plus it just doesn't feel as good as either game.

Edit: I've played PoE here and there since the beta and I do like the game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So you don't like the feel of D2? cuz they're the same.

I do not agree with this at all. I've played both games within the last six months.

The same D2 ultra dark and grim artstyle? Check
Small villages inhabited by survivors feeling the doom and gloom? Check
Unscripted, non-pattern boss fights? Check
Light radius? Check

There are many shades of "dark and grim." Diablo II, Grim Dawn, Path of Exile all fall in that category, but all manage to feel very different. Diablo II is much more medieval/gothic, and the atmosphere and art style resonate with me more. I actually don't mind Path of Exile's style so much, it's more the feel of the game that doesn't quite click with me. I wish I could articulate on it more.

There are many shades of "dark and grim." Diablo II, Grim Dawn, Path of Exile all fall in that category, but all manage to feel very different. Diablo II is much more medieval/gothic, and the atmosphere and art style resonate with me more. I actually don't mind Path of Exile's style so much, it's more the feel of the game that doesn't quite click with me. I wish I could articulate on it more.

And what I say is Path of Exile art style is D2's art style with HD textures and resolution.
It's definitely very medieval, but the architecture is more roman-greco than gothic if that matters to the "feel".

And as "feel" goes, Path of Exile feels more dangerous than D2. First level out of the town hub has bodies tied to a cross with legs ripped off at the torso, setting vaal oversoul free and the world goes completely dark, and a sea of blood with drowning victims in Lunaris 3? D2 has some good areas, but PoE takes the cake.

If you can explain what an updated D2 would look like, I might understand, but I see them as the same art style.

spirity

I am sorry but PoE isn't even in the same league as Diablo 3 let alone Diablo 2. It's a good game in it's own right but it has tons of problems plus it just doesn't feel as good as either game.

Edit: I've played PoE here and there since the beta and I do like the game.

D3 and PoE are two very different games at their core. PoE offers something for the more voracious, hardcore player that wants to compete, while D3 is pitched toward the more casual player (I am not using the term casual as an insult here btw). D3 has a far wider appeal than PoE does.

None of these games are bad. They all do what they do very well. They're just going for different breeds of players.

No matter how good Path of Exile is in terms of the super hardcore of it all.. it'll still feel like playing a flash game. Unfortunate.

spirity

No matter how good Path of Exile is in terms of the super hardcore of it all.. it'll still feel like playing a flash game. Unfortunate.

I wish just once these hack n slash threads didn't devolve into hyperbolic shite. It feels like playing a flash game, jesus christ.

Sanctuary

I know what you mean.

I have not gone back to the game on PC after the first month, but I did end up buying the PS3 version (I mainly bought it for a friend, who couldn't care less about it) and thought that the "loot 1.5" (the mini version of the 2.0 patch and without the class changes) was pretty fucking fun.

For two weeks anyway, and I got extremely frustrated with the save feature eating away about nine hours of ridiculously awesome drops for my Hardcore Inferno WD. It's not something I could endlessly play like Diablo 2; a game that I played every day for the first six months of it's release, and then similarly with the release of LoD. The only reason I'm even considering playing it again on the PC is for RoS and seeing how far I can get on the ladder with the Crusader. The endless clicking using the same exact skills is only so much "fun" after a while, and just getting better loot for the sake of better loot is not in any way fun to me. The gear is a means to an end to me. Hardcore on the other hand is an entirely different beast, and I would probably stick around longer for that; except, you know...Battle.net, so no.

Diablo 2 -> Diablo 3 is the poster child for modern over-engineering.

Diablo 2 was and still is a massively broken game. It didn't ever get close. Skills were broken and unusable (or too usable), items didn't scale, gems were useless, gambling was useless, hirelings were useless, uniques were mostly useless, you could get mobs that were unbeatable, the economy was fucked with dupes, enemies and bosses were too farmable. They fixed a lot of it and yet even now it's still pretty broken, only a few builds with heavy gear are viable at the top end. I think it was those rough edges that gave rise to organic player strategy and that made it fun. It was always fun to create a new character an see how far you could go before you hit the wall. Much more boring to respec. Diablo 3 tries so hard to avoid pitfalls it simply feels forced, there's a particular path they want players on, a certain way to play. Maybe it's less repetitive but it saps a lot of strategy and makes it less fun. Truly great games often are broken experiences, but that's okay. Throwing 200 people on a game and playtesting the shit out of it makes it more generic, maybe the lows get brought up but the highs come down too.

This is somewhat correct, but it's also a very narrow view. Did you play the CD2 upon release before all of the rampant dupes, hacks and bots? Even if many of the early skills were complete shit until synergies (which just added more of the same issue), being completely ignorant and the discovery factor was really damn fun. The game was so fun to play that hitting that "brick wall" wasn't really that much of a problem, because your next character would level up faster with the gear that your previous character found. After one or two "flop" characters, it was extremely easy to tell what skills would be viable late game, and which were simply filler to the "real" skills--which ultimately is all that mattered since you weren't going to cycle through multiple skills every few seconds.

Maybe I was just lucky, because my first character was a max CE Necro that hit 97 on ladder before the 1.3 patch, and after that I was one of the first few to play as a Hammerdin, before everyone and their mothers were playing them much later in LoD with Enigmas, but I never felt like I ended up hitting a wall and had to start over. The starting over for me was just because I wanted to experiment with all of the different builds (many of which were entirely viable, even if they were not as overpowered).

And like I said earlier, Blizzard may have made it so that more skills are viable at the higher levels in D3, but almost none of them are interesting at all. Give me a broken game that's a lot more fun to play than one that's overpolished and streamlined almost to the point of being completely sterile. The only thing I truly like in D3 over D2 would be the graphics and aesthetics, but we're talking about hardware being the limiting factor.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
And what I say is Path of Exile art style is D2's art style with HD textures and resolution.
It's definitely very medieval, but the architecture is more roman-greco than gothic if that matters to the "feel".

And as "feel" goes, Path of Exile feels more dangerous than D2. First level out of the town hub has bodies tied to a cross with legs ripped off at the torso, setting vaal oversoul free and the world goes completely dark, and a sea of blood with drowning victims in Lunaris 3? D2 has some good areas, but PoE takes the cake.

If you can explain what an updated D2 would look like, I might understand, but I see them as the same art style.

Yes, the more Roman style leaves a very different impression than the Gothic cathedral/medieval village styling that Diablo II uses for much of the game.

Either way, I meant to talk about how the game feels to play. The clicking and using actions part of it. The responsiveness, the physics, etc. Something just feels a bit off in Path of Exile to me. I won't say it's bad, but it doesn't click with me like it does in other games in the same genre.

I played it sooo much... but I revisited it shortly before Diablo III's release and was saddened. I still have nothing but love for the memories, though.

Diablo 3 is a broken foundation to build around. No expansion or patch is going to change that. A complete game redesign would be needed. And it would still have the shitty art and forgettable music.

The closest an ARPG has come is Path of Exile, which nails the game design, but has some other, less fundamental problems.

Abounder

Banned
D2's hardcore was fun too. Without the threat of player killing it's just not the same in the third Diablo. I miss my stashed ear collection.

Soundtrack is one of the greats too.

DeSo

Banned
I've loved what I've played of PoE but from what I understand it scales the loot back in single player which is not cool. Also the story is just... meh but that's not a big deal.

And I play D2 single player because I live in Australia with no local servers.

Cerity

Either way, I meant to talk about how the game feels to play. The clicking and using actions part of it. The responsiveness, the physics, etc. Something just feels a bit off in Path of Exile to me. I won't say it's bad, but it doesn't click with me like it does in other games in the same genre.

I'll agree with this, it's just a matter of how the online is implemented in PoE. It comes through painfully well if you're playing ranger in PoE, you can have your mouse over a monster, attacking but none of your attacks hitting it and not doing any damage. That will continue until desync occurs. On the other side you can attack an area that doesn't directly have any monsters in it but you'll see monsters slightly outside your attacks area get hurt. You don't see it all the time and when it does happen, desync fixes it quickly enough but you do notice it and it impacts the feel of a lot of attacks.

Sanctuary

I'll agree with this, it's just a matter of how the online is implemented in PoE. It comes through painfully well if you're playing ranger in PoE, you can have your mouse over a monster, attacking but none of your attacks hitting it and not doing any damage. That will continue until desync occurs. On the other side you can attack an area that doesn't directly have any monsters in it but you'll see monsters slightly outside your attacks area get hurt. You don't see it all the time and when it does happen, desync fixes it quickly enough but you do notice it and it impacts the feel of a lot of attacks.

Eh, Diablo 2 did the exact same thing when the servers were lagging (which happened more often than not unless you played really late/early). So I'm not sure that is what they are talking about when saying things like "feel" and "responsiveness".

eot

Banned
D2's hardcore was fun too. Without the threat of player killing it's just not the same in the third Diablo. I miss my stashed ear collection.

Soundtrack is one of the greats too.

Dealing with legit PKs was fun, it added so much tension to the game. TPPK ruined public games though, which is too bad. The fact that people actually had to play through the entire game was part of why HC was more enjoyable. I did a solo HC run through the game a little while back and it's pretty painful in spots. Hell Ancients in particular. I had to get my merc a ton of ll with a life tap wand plus a decent runeword in an eth elite weapon and just run around and let him kill them, after rerolling their stats a bunch of times.

I was really addicted to Diablo II when I first played it. I never got addicted the same way to another hack/loot game since then.

I still love the genre but it wasn't the same as the spell Diablo II had on me. I played for hours, non-stop.

Other loot games, just once in awhile.

Titan Quest was the second loot game that I was hooked on for awhile.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm addicted to Diablo 3. I really have to fight myself to not play it too much. I kind of want to pick up D2 to check it out since I never played it. It might be interesting to hear from someone who went the other direction, no?

DeSo

Banned
Titan Quest was the second loot game that I was hooked on for awhile.
Titan Quest is a solid game but the combat is so bad, there's no weight to the hits you do on enemies.

Edit: "so bad" is harsh, combat is good, just there doesn't feel like much impact when you make contact with enemies which is a downer.

I think diablo 2 is alright. I never got hardcore into it though. I'm a long term fan of diablo series. I started with the original Diablo on PC and even rented it to play with my brother on PSX. That was fun.

When Diablo 2 came around, I enjoyed it some. I didn't fall in love with it the way my brother did. He played it a lot more.

I kinda started enjoyed the subgenre more when I played torchlight, in anticipation of d3. But I got bored of that before I beat it a single time, even though the time I spent I did enjoy.

D3... I liked right away. And the last patch has made it a game I know I'll enjoy for years to come. Suddenly D3 is a game where I enjoy leveling up other characters and playing through at harder difficulties.

That was the main reason why I didn't play d2 a ton, cause after I beat it I got bored. I didn't enjoy the later difficulties (not saying they are bad or anything, just at the time I didn't appreciate the process). Same went for d2 expansion. I played it, enjoyed it, and didn't really get into the later difficulties (even though I did try to at the time).

Titan Quest is a solid game but the combat is so bad, there's no weight to the hits you do on enemies.

Edit: "so bad" is harsh, combat is good, just there doesn't feel like much impact when you make contact with enemies which is a downer.
Yeah, they're like rag dolls. But most loot games were like that. Just click like crazy with a mouse until a bad guy dies.

Diablo III does feel like more weight to the hits. It's all in that animation and sound effects.

Benutzer

I'm glad other people share my obsession. Diablo 2 is the best game ever made.

I just did some Googling and found that my old guides, four years later and very out of date, are still at the top of the page on Diablo2.com.
http://www.diablo2.com/forum/paladin-guides-f22.html

I still haven't purchased Diablo 3 because I played it at a friend's house shortly after release and it was a piece of shit.
From somebody who has played a fair amount of Diablo 2, how does Diablo 3 honestly hold up nowadays?

Diablo 2 is my favourite game ever. I played so damn much lol, more than any other game. I disliked D3 at launch too and stopped playing very soon (the game was just not as good + I had much less free time). But I just bought RoS :) I hope it improves D3
a lot.

Nokterian

As much as I love your smug attitude and tough demeanor, try reading my posts so you don't give yourself away.
I played a character all the way to level 60 before deciding the game was shit.

This is what I expected. A shiny turd, but a turd nonetheless.

I'll see if a friend can lend me an account to try out loot 2.0, but I'll keep the expectations to a minimum.

Not only loot 2.0 changed the whole game,the whole game it self is changed. Take a look here it's not the same anymore as 2 years ago. Patch 2.0 made a whole new game out of it.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/blog/13071930/are-you-prepared-for-201-26-02-2014

The game now really is fun to play and it is cool to finally get good loot.

Thrakier

I think what made D1 atmosphere so special was not only the graphics style but the level and game design per se. Just going deeper and deeper, descending into hell...there is something special about it which is missing from both, D2 and D3.

D3 is way to colorful anyway. DarkD3 helps, but it doesn't get rid of the WoWy look.

Top Bottom