• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo II is still the best ARPG I've played.

I think what made D1 atmosphere so special was not only the graphics style but the level and game design per se. Just going deeper and deeper, descending into hell...there is something special about it which is missing from both, D2 and D3.

D3 is way to colorful anyway. DarkD3 helps, but it doesn't get rid of the WoWy look.

D1's level design was deceptively well done.

But I am glad they did not just copy/paste that format. I like going into different regions of the world plus a more narrative driven story.

The new trailer for the d3 expansion made me think of d1 cause
tyriel is placing the soulstone in a deep dungeon. Which made me think, once upon a time maybe someone else thought that would keep diablo out of invading earth.
I could be wrong as a point of lore, but still made me think of it.

Xane

For me it's Titan Quest. The dynamic job-system and the huge overworld and sheer amount of quests is unparalleled.

There's a spiritual successor in the works but I'm not too sure about it.

Dec

What happens when the expansion comes out? I wont buy it, but I might try the changes at some point, will I just be missing whatever features they release with it?

Edit: For D3.

Thrakier

D1's level design was deceptively well done.

But I am glad they did not just copy/paste that format. I like going into different regions of the world plus a more narrative driven story.

The new trailer for the d3 expansion made me think of d1 cause
tyriel is placing the soulstone in a deep dungeon. Which made me think, once upon a time maybe someone else thought that would keep diablo out of invading earth.
I could be wrong as a point of lore, but still made me think of it.

I would kill for a D1 style expansion. Get rid of everything colorful, make it grim again and medieval. I just want that feeling back from back then. I know nostalgia and stuff.

Does anyone else think the animations from the new class in the expansion is an homage to D1?

eot

Banned
I'm addicted to Diablo 3. I really have to fight myself to not play it too much. I kind of want to pick up D2 to check it out since I never played it. It might be interesting to hear from someone who went the other direction, no?

Get a friend or two to play it with you and you'll enjoy it 10x more.

sobaka770

Banned
Diablo 2 was great for its time, but its mechanics are dated and if released today even with D3 graphics a very select number of nostalgic prior would buy it. Those Baal and Mephisto runs and locked-in skill trees are a remnant of the past.

After 2.0 Diablo 3 is like a new game, easily trumping Torchlight and PoE as the most fun ARPG. Sure Torchlight has more loot drops and PoE has immense talent trees, but D3 is fun to play, not theorycraft and that's why I like it most despite the criticisms.

Diablo 2 was great for its time, but its mechanics are dated and if released today even with D3 graphics a very select number of nostalgic prior would buy it. Those Baal and Mephisto runs and locked-in skill trees are a remnant of the past.

After 2.0 Diablo 3 is like a new game, easily trumping Torchlight and PoE as the most fun ARPG. Sure Torchlight has more loot drops and PoE has immense talent trees, but D3 is fun to play, not theorycraft and that's why I like it most despite the criticisms.
You can reset your trees now.

Also diablo 2 using how 3 works on a console would be incredible.

Demicore

Completely agree with the OP. With the billions of ARPGs that came out after Diablo II; it's incredible that none of them could best it.

eot

Banned

Personally I think boss runs are more fun than running through an entire act.

kubricks

I still miss my strafazon, 2 frame strafe so good.
I still yet to find any game with such a satisfying attack.

Personally, I loved the theorycrafting aspects. Even when they failed.

All of the time, effort and SOJs down the drain chasing a dual axe barb build, only to concede that a WW barb was just plain better, and yet I miss it.

Top Bottom