• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT2| Queues Rise. Servers Fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the best follower for a barb? I use the enchantress because her chicken spell is hilarious, best part it that it even works on bosses. I found the templar and scoundrel pretty useless.

LogicStep

Man so I'm sitting on some gold wondering if I should level my blacksmith... I found some rare plans, wonder if I can get something out of that...

I think exceptional whites have higher base stats than magic items (overall modifiers will make magics better). They really should have made them more useful. In the beta they could be turned into scrap which was used to craft. Now they only have 2 types of scrap per difficulty instead of 4. You can use them to craft though.

What I don't like is socketed seems to be a magic prefix so you can't get just normal socketed items (or at least I've never seen one). Also you can't socket item (I had hoped this would be a jeweler feature). The socketing system was better in D2, D3's awesome crafting improvements aside. I hope they expand that more.

I found that pretty annoying. It should definitely be a jeweler feature especially considering that the jeweler is pretty much useless since it's cheaper to just buy gems from the auction house.

BigDug13

Natalie Portman is a great actress but bad direction and writing in the prequel trilogy still made her look like a horrible actress. I'm sure Blizzard didn't hire any legitimate directors/writers or anything.

Covetous Shen should be the only character.

While it's not something I really care about much, my main falling out with the narrative and plotting from the game was how serious and dry it tries to pass itself off as, when it's setting is fundamentally ridiculous, even as far as video games go.

Serious only really worked in the original Diablo, IMO, it had a good horror theme back in the day, although it wouldn't work too well anymore, not with this genre. Diablo II and III is mostly just a difference in art and people are free to disagree but the art in DIII blows the doors off of DII (and every other Blizzard product, honestly) to such a degree that it's not even funny.

Blizzard shines mostly with humor, nowadays, especially now that they aren't as centered on pop culture. Lots of genuinely funny stuff in Cataclysm, one of the highlights of an otherwise blargh expansion.
Man, Diablo story fans (who do exist) would be pissed if Diablo became a lighthearted franchise like WoW. They're probably pissed already about Covetous Shen already, lol.

I also like the merchant who says "my people have been beat up and scattered to the wind. But we will survive!!! ... If you buy something"

snack

New day, new dye.

iNSzQ62qolbzx.jpg

This shit is tight!

Lingitiz

I normally like Jennifer Hale but.... what happened. One of the worst performances I've ever heard (ok not really but she can do sooo much better) I mean its not like she had much to work with but lol.

I thought she was trying way too hard to sound younger.

kitzkozan

"Hey guys, if you don't like it so much, stop playing!"

We all just spent sixty dollars on a game that a lot of us waited for 10 years for, from a developer that we trusted implicitly; I think the folks who are disappointed are entitled to vent their opinions since we shelled out the cash. It wasn't my hope that bitching about the game would be more fun than playing it, but that's what my $60 bought.

It's not the end of the world man, just chill. Nobody's perfect, not even Blizzard. Venting the frustration is all good and well, but it doesn't change the fact that Blizzard has plenty of things to correct and they will improve the rough edges around the game. ;)

Last time I raged this bad was back in 2004-05, as I was frustrated with the druid class in vanilla WoW. :p Class was beyond broken, with the feral spec doing more dps in caster form with a stick than in the actual dps form (cat) or the ultimate talent of the balance tree being a crappy aoe at the time (hurricane) . I also cannot forget the hilarity of having the paladin class wearing plate and near 50% damage mitigation being forced to heal in raids or the horrid itemization of sets.

You eventually have to learn that shit can and will happen and move on. I'm well past the stage of raging over videogames...

Alex

Man, Diablo story fans (who do exist) would be pissed if Diablo became a lighthearted franchise like WoW. They're probably pissed already about Covetous Shen already, lol.

I also like the merchant who says "my people have been beat up and scattered to the wind. But we will survive!!! ... If you buy something"

Well, there's a heck of a gulf between more character and levity to the dialogue and being like WoW, which is probably like 50% humor altogether in Cataclysm.

When people mention their favorite characters, its usually Lyndon, Shen, etc, characters with some wit and black humor on things.

Game is just too dry, in terms of it's writing. Diablos lore isn't too bad, I think most of Blizzard's world building is pretty it's just the execution when they try to be deadpan about it.

Unfortunately I do not because for whatever reason the app doesn't work on my phone and I don't really want to buy that keychain one.

Honestly, get one.

You have one of the most anticipated and best selling game of all time with a (upcoming) real money auction house implemented.

Blizzard could get the best security in the business but there will always be an idiot looking to compromise the system. Just get it, for security sake.

BigDug13

It's not the end of the world man, just chill. Nobody's perfect, not even Blizzard. Venting the frustration is all good and well, but it doesn't change the fact that Blizzard has plenty of things to correct and they will improve the rough edges around the game. ;)

Last time I raged this bad was back in 2004-05, as I was frustrated with the druid class in vanilla WoW. :p Class was beyond broken, with the feral spec doing more dps in caster form with a stick than in the actual dps form (cat) or the ultimate talent of the balance tree being a crappy aoe at the time (hurricane) . I also cannot forget the hilarity of having the paladin class wearing plate and near 50% damage mitigation being forced to heal in raids or the horrid itemization of sets.

You eventually have to learn that shit can and will happen and move on. I'm well past the stage of raging over videogames...

But if WoW2 released a Druid class with a whole new set of balance problems, wouldn't you scratch your head at the fact that 12 years of "lessons learned" didn't seem to apply here?

Alex

But if WoW2 released a Druid class with a whole new set of balance problems, wouldn't you scratch your head at the fact that 12 years of "lessons learned" didn't seem to apply here?

There will never, ever, be an online RPG that doesn't launch (or simply exist) without balance problems. Ever. Usually large ones.

Doesn't matter if it's a sequel, from the same developer, uses the same systems. Balancing is hard, hard work and fixing one thing usually means breaking another no matter how simple a fanbase insists something is.

I'm sure what isn't intentional here will be hammered out over time, just like every other release in the genre, from the company, from any multiplayer company, etc.

I think people should totally be angry about certain things, and voice concerns, that's how it gets fixed, thats how shit changes. The annoying part is only when people get, loud, obnoxious and passive aggressive about their video game.

Like me, I like the new skill system and I like Inferno, I do not like how shitbin Legendaries are though, so I've made a few pretty good posts on their forums and on here about it. The best thing you can probably do if you have concerns with anything is to post on their forums, and go about it eloquently.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
A little over halfway through Act II on nightmare with my DH, and still can't decide what sort of build I like best. Of course it doesn't help that I still get stuff unlocking while leveling up that makes me think, "Ooo, that looks neat." I've read up on plenty of builds that seem to dish out a lot of damage, but I've not particularly enjoyed actually playing as them. Now I'm trying explosive bolos with ice arrows that split apart and snared targets, with sentry (spit fire), vault, caltrops, and rain of vengeance. It's a pretty fun build for AoE, and it's starting to grow on me. Gotta do a lot of kiting on certain yellows though. I have a feeling that I've got a lot more experimenting ahead of me as well on the road to 60, but I think that's a big part of the appeal of the game for me right now, trying out mixing and matching all of these abilities until I find something that I feel works well, and is also fun.

Duki

Banned
why are they even balancing a coop game like this tbh

who cares what the flavour of the month class or skill is, when everyone can make one easily without nearly the time investment something like wow would require

should be more like diablo 2 where after a while they took their time in releasing big patches and then theyd leave shit alone

none of this hotfixing garbage

multishot on dh with fire at will is super good and super fun normal-hell

i suggest it

red731

So tonight this happened.
http://s15.postimage.org/6c8y0lt6j/sothishappened.jpg[//IMG][/QUOTE]

Good morning - I want to play.

Also hide that - I don't think that people venturing in OT want to have everything [spoiler]"secret"[/spoiler] slapped in the face.

why are they even balancing a coop game like this tbh

who cares what the flavour of the month class or skill is, when everyone can make one easily without nearly the time investment something like wow would require

should be more like diablo 2 where after a while they took their time in releasing big patches and then theyd leave shit alone

none of this hotfixing garbage

multishot on dh with fire at will is super good and super fun normal-hell

i suggest it

Yeah. All those years of the Hammerdin and sorceresses being BY FAR the best boss runners, they never saw nerfs. But this is a very different design paradigm. We don't let every class have their schtick that makes them OP in their own way, every class needs to step in line with Blizzard's very narrow vision of the right way to build them. It makes balancing easy. It also makes the game boring.

Covetous Shen should be the only character.

While it's not something I really care about much, my main falling out with the narrative and plotting from the game was how serious and dry it tries to pass itself off as, when it's setting is fundamentally ridiculous, even as far as video games go.

Serious only really worked in the original Diablo, IMO, it had a good horror theme back in the day, although it wouldn't work too well anymore, not with this genre. Diablo II and III is mostly just a difference in art and people are free to disagree but the art in DIII blows the doors off of DII (and every other Blizzard product, honestly) to such a degree that it's not even funny.

Blizzard shines mostly with humor, nowadays, especially now that they aren't as centered on pop culture. Lots of genuinely funny stuff in Cataclysm, one of the highlights of an otherwise blargh expansion.

The absolute highlight of the story driven aspects of the game was a sidequest in the Fields of Misery (act 1) where you save some farmer from an elite then he introduces you to his wife
who is a skeleton in a rocking chair and her head falls of and he goes "oh, she's nodded off".
It was a very nice piece of dark humor that set the mood and made me laugh at the same time. Sadly nothing else in the game was quite as entertaining or perfectly executed.

A lot of the dialog between Cain and Leah was very hammy in the first act, and the deceptions that end up making the major plot points in act 2 and 3 were PAINFULLY obvious. Jennifer Hale's "evil" Leah voice was just awful too. It sounded like the type of thing that belonged in a campy horror movie, but the game was playing itself so seriously that it just didn't work.

This is pretty much exactly where I am. I remember rage quitting when they let rogue PvP trinkets break fear, as I played an alliance priest. It was right after BGs came out or thereabouts. I also rage quit again 2 years later because of the Prayer of Mending nerf in BC.

I guess I'm just less passionate nowadays or something, lol.

That said, the thing that worries me most is the loot and the AH. Making the loot more interesting isn't that hard, and there are certainly ways to limit the impact of the AH, but do they even understand the problems/issues? Do they understand how to create a good loot game? Because Diablo at its heart was always a loot slot machine first and foremost, with shitty combat and enemies. Instead they've made much more interesting combat and enemies, but with an anemic loot game attached to it. It's a decent foundation and it can be fixed, but it amazes me that no one over the years of design thought the loot was somewhat boring, nor thought of the impact the AH would have on playing though the lower level stuff. So it's fixable but they have to have the right culture and the right humility to fix it, and I hope that it's there.

Playing through WoW over the years you can see that Blizzard is very stubborn abut some things, but they also can be very responsive on other things.

kitzkozan

Who said it's a case of learning the lessons? This is not the same team that's working on Diablo III and the lead designer probably has it's own view and vision of not only where the franchise should go but basic game design as well. If I look at Jay Wilson resume for example, he's mostly known for being the lead designer of the RTS Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War. Who know if he was even the best person for the job except Blizzard?

The fact that there's been so few quality western fighting game for example just lead me to think that it's very hard to look at the work of someone else and simply say: that's how you do it. James Cameron may be one of the smartest director in the world, but the dude just doesn't have any artistic IQ to save his live. :p He does know action like the back of his hand however, which a lot of directors completely fail at despite having seen numerous action movies. Creating a game or movie goes far beyond looking at cold harsh data and integrating that into your work. Intuition and perception is needed, along with a knack for attention to specific details depending on the genre you are working on.

Yeah. All those years of the Hammerdin and sorceresses being BY FAR the best boss runners, they never saw nerfs. But this is a very different design paradigm. We don't let every class have their schtick that makes them OP in their own way, every class needs to step in line with Blizzard's very narrow vision of the right way to build them. It makes balancing easy. It also makes the game boring.
It's part of the problem with running WoW for years n years and the culture that comes with it.

I will say though that I expect a middle ground. I don't think the terrible balance in d2 was good for the game and I think adding Enigma instead of nerfing teleport was a horrible move (speaking as someone who only ever played sorceress which was so ridiculously overpowered before they added Engma).

Duki

Banned

yeah, agreed. its silly. why try and make every class the same strength when everyone has quick and fairly painless access to every class? not as quickly as in d2 actually, what with grushing and stuff, but once you level up one of each character, thats it. you have them forever. respec on the fly.

why does it matter which class is the best at boss running when everyone has access to the same classes without a massive time delay?

in a non competitive coop game (since theyve already said theyre not balancing around pvp, which will hold true for about a week, and then theyll start nerfing because of the qq)

and yeah it feels like theyre treating it like wow, when theres no need to. not only is there a much smaller time requirement for making a new character, but theres no need to keep everyone happy all the time. we're not paying for subs or anything.

This Youtube review of D3 Inferno is excellent and just shows how absurd it is with the 100K hit when the guy has excellent gear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8CBbeSAjVo

If Blizzard can't realize that the number of angry players is directly proportional to people hitting hell/inferno and that the gear is getting stale, then Houston we have a problem.

Honestly though, with how fast Blizzard is at fixing issues for good (not these hotfix nerfs), I don't see this game getting the proper attention it deserves for some time. And I don't know how much more my attention span will be around.

You know, maybe like the Cupcake/Bioware story, we should all get together and send a massive crate full of dark souls copies to Blizzard HQ. Give them a hint that it is possible to be very difficult and rewarding, while not being so obviously cheap (and IMO untested).

why does it matter which class is the best at boss running when everyone has access to the same classes without a massive time delay?

People like to argue that this is because of the RMAH aspect of the game. But that has apparently been delayed indefinitely, and really, like you said: if you want to farm hardcore and use it to make real money, make one of the classes that is good for that. Not every class needs to be as much of a solo juggernaut as the DH and Wizard are now. Hell, even the WD can farm some pretty meaty things if built correctly. The Monk and the Barbarian are the only ones that can't do it that well, but the solution isn't to nerf every other class down to their level, it's to slowly bring the Monk and the Barb up.

I HATE how this checkpoint system works. Last night I killed the spider queen in act 1 inferno, got to the next waypoint, and was looking for the staff. I saw it was getting late so I stopped playing. Today I decided to start at the quest where you get the crown, and killed the skeleton king with a 5 stack. When I was done with that I TRIED to start from where I got to last night and it put me back to before you go through that cavern with all the spiders in it.

zoukka

Sooo I finally had to strip the dusty old mfind gear of mine. Mfind went from 120 to 20, but my chance of survival went from 1% to 100%. I know nightmare isn't hard, but try to cross that battlefield with 3k health and 1k dps :D

John_B

Inferno should not be watered down. The gear/builds will come. People are farming certain portions of act 2/3 already.

Monk seems to be working better now in Inferno (Act I for me), it's either the 3 protection cooldowns build or there actually was some issue with damage reduction skills.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Inferno should not be watered down. The gear/builds will come. People are farming certain portions of act 2/3 already.

Monk seems to be working better now in Inferno (Act I for me), it's either the 3 protection cooldowns build or there actually was some issue with damage reduction skills.
Act I isn't really inferno, more like Hell+

Opiate

This Youtube review of D3 Inferno is excellent and just shows how absurd it is with the 100K hit when the guy has excellent gear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8CBbeSAjVo

If Blizzard can't realize that the number of angry players is directly proportional to people hitting hell/inferno and that the gear is getting stale, then Houston we have a problem.

Honestly though, with how fast Blizzard is at fixing issues for good (not these hotfix nerfs), I don't see this game getting the proper attention it deserves for some time. And I don't know how much more my attention span will be around.

You know, maybe like the Cupcake/Bioware story, we should all get together and send a massive crate full of dark souls copies to Blizzard HQ. Give them a hint that it is possible to be very difficult and rewarding, while not being so obviously cheap (and IMO untested).

Again, really strongly disagree with this video and think it's almost absurd. The glorification of boss farming (and the ease with which one got to that highly repetitive action) as "immensely" exciting strikes me as almost antithetical to what most players would say.

I greatly prefer a brutal, unkillable set of levels to an easy set of levels I can repetitively farm for the best loot within hours of making a character (Which was in fact possible in late D2). This does not mean that Inferno is perfect, mind you; just that this dislike of the difficulty really surprises me. Diablo is supposed to last years! Decades! And we're complaining about not being able to beat the content in 10 days?

As a counter to this video, I suggest watching Kripparian's stream, in which I have already seen him easily and handily clearing Inferno Act II as a Barbarian (he is currently working his way through Act III inferno slowly, but steadily without ridiculously repetitive suicide runs). He accomplished this so fast by bypassing the content and glitching it, but a regular player could accomplish it by hundreds of hours of farming -- similar to the hundreds of hours people seemed to spend on Baal runs, except much more fun because the boss isn't a cakewalk in the process.

I think I'm coming to the conclusion that some people play this game for different reasons than I do: some people don't seem to want a challenge, and view the loot as the entire and exclusive purpose of the end game. I'm guessing some people actually enjoyed Baal runs and are looking forward to an extremely easy, highly repetitive process of farming. All I can say is that this isn't what I want, but that doesn't make me the majority opinion nor does it mean I find Inferno to be the ideal solution to this situation.

Neki

I'm farming act 4 even though I never beat act 2, lol.

Duki

Banned
Again, really strongly disagree with this video and think it's almost absurd. The glorification of boss farming (and the ease with which one got to that highly repetitive action) as "immensely" exciting strikes me as almost antithetical to what most players would say.

I greatly prefer a brutal, unkillable set of levels to an easy set of levels I can repetitively farm for the best loot within hours of making a character (Which was in fact possible in late D2). This does not mean that Inferno is perfect, mind you; just that this dislike of the difficulty really surprises me. Diablo is supposed to last years! Decades! And we're complaining about not being able to beat the content in 10 days?

As a counter to this video, I suggest watching Kripparian's stream, in which I have frequently seen him easily and handily clearing Inferno Act II as a Barbarian. He accomplished this so fast by bypassing the content and glitching it, but a regular player could accomplish it by hundreds of hours of farming -- similar to the hundreds of hours people seemed to spend on Baal runs, except much more fun because the boss isn't a cakewalk in the process.

I think I'm coming to the conclusion that some people play this game for different reasons than I do: some people don't seem to want a challenge, and view the loot as the entire and exclusive purpose of the end game. I'm guessing some people actually enjoyed Baal runs and are looking forward to an extremely easy, highly repetitive process of farming. All I can say is that this isn't what I want, but that doesn't make me the majority opinion nor does it mean I find Inferno to be the ideal solution to this situation.
i dont know

i still disagree with you

its not about the fact that its difficult; its that its difficulty arises from the fact that it cripples almost every mechanic which the game worked on from normal-hell

snare immunity, the monster speed, absurd, one hit kill damage, etc etc.

its like a completely different game, instead of being the same game but harder, and requiring more skill.

its a less fun game, too

Sothpaw

As a counter to this video, I suggest watching Kripparian's stream, in which I have already seen him easily and handily clearing Inferno Act II as a Barbarian (he is currently working his way through Act III inferno slowly, but steadily without ridiculously repetitive suicide runs). He accomplished this so fast by bypassing the content and glitching it, but a regular player could accomplish it by hundreds of hours of farming -- similar to the hundreds of hours people seemed to spend on Baal runs, except much more fun because the boss isn't a cakewalk in the process.

Well said and agreed.

Here is a link that shows inferno is indeed doable (by a witch doctor at least): http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149181853

Yes, you have to kite. But the game is literally just over a week old and no one has extremely good gear at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom