• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

Downed Inferno Belial easily. Man I really should have done this earlier. 37k HP About 500 Physical Resists, 375 or so RA and around 40k dps and it wasnt very hard at all. Last time I tried him I got curbstomped, I didnt know my upgrades I had gotten since then would make such a huge difference.

I'll check on damage ticks.

Lightning hits just about every single non fast target twice, and larger / rooted 3 times with a larger AoE.

Yeah ball lightning just seems to have a larger area that it will tick on, but its damage man, it crits for like almost half what NT crits for, and they both hit a large target about the same amount of times. That just pushed NT over the edge for me. The life leech is a joke, but the damage is absurdly good.

Ferrio

Banned
I think it's because you can shoot off a few nether tentacles off before you get the Sharpshooter bonus reset. As it resets on critical, any shot you release is under the effect. Ball Lightning is affected the same way but because it reaches out and tags enemies as it travels as opposed to actually touching the tentacles, you get the chance to launch a few more off.

Ball is also yeah, half damage. However, you hit more targets and can hit one several times regardless of size depending on angle which is the benefit to ball vs tentacles. IMO

Hitting more enemies as a dh isn't really helpful. You want stuff dead quick, so doing less aoe damage but taking single targets down quicker is a lot better. Especially vs elites.

Neki

Giveaway #2 (North American servers only!)

No tricks, no smoke, no mirrors. These are some decent weapons for fresh 60's, or Act 1 Inferno 60's that I'm donating because I have no use for them, and I'm sure gaffers would make better use of it than letting it rot in my stash. All of these items dropped from Act 3 Inferno+. :p

1liTA.png

You can choose one item, and after time has expired, I will roll for each item. Meaning six people are getting new items! The more people who want a weapon, the less chance you'll have less of getting it.

All you need to do is PM your GAF name and battletag and the item you want and you'll be entered.

All winners will get a free Exalted Pallium Shoulders recipe, free of charge, courtesy of Artanisix

The raffle will end 5PM Mountain Time on June 15th (Friday).

Less than one day boys!

Cipherr

Hitting more enemies as a dh isn't really helpful. You want stuff dead quick, so doing less aoe damage but taking single targets down quicker is a lot better. Especially vs elites.

Yep, and that damage scales better on a single target too. Ball Lightning may be nice on packs, its less than NT, but its serviceable. But on a single target where BL cannot benefit from AoE, Nether Tents much higher damage just blows it away.

I'm stuck on bOla with the stun rune n impale for super high criticals. I probably need to switch but can someone explain why? It seems I need the stun to keep people away.

Playing my DH I leveled feels like cheating after spending so much time trying to make my monk work. Seriously feels broken and I cant imagine they don't have major nerfs coming in the near future.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm stuck on bOla with the stun rune n impale for super high criticals. I probably need to switch but can someone explain why? It seems I need the stun to keep people away.

Because you already have other ways to keep away. Caltrops-> Torturous Ground and/or Smoke Screen With tactical advantage passive.

Impale is great if you're facing a single target, but otherwise it's hatred cost is high, and it only hits one person unless you get pierce.

I mean I do some great damage with it

FNMPF.png

but it's just too cumbersome to use when kiting.

Shouta

Yep, and that damage scales better on a single target too. Ball Lightning may be nice on packs, its less than NT, but its serviceable. But on a single target where BL cannot benefit from AoE, Nether Tents much higher damage just blows it away.

Oh yeah, Tentacles are better against a single target but eh, as I'll be clearing up tons of mobs most of the time anyway and I'd rather use the Ball for ease of use plus the utility of destroying breakables as I go.

My gear doesn't have any additional Crit damage either so Tentacles vs Ball benefit isn't quite as pronounced.

Caltrops with torturous grounds and nether tentacles are the most amazing combo of skills I have run into so far on DH. Can set up a line of caltrops traps and when stuff gets rooted pop off 4 or 5 nether tentacles, step back while the next one roots the group and rinse and repeat till whatever you are fighting is dead.

Pair that with preperation and smoke screen and DH is easily the most powerful class in the game right now and really makes everything else look like a joke.

Neki

Oh yeah, Tentacles are better against a single target but eh, as I'll be clearing up tons of mobs most of the time anyway and I'd rather use the Ball for ease of use plus the utility of destroying breakables as I go.

My gear doesn't have any additional Crit damage either so Tentacles vs Ball benefit isn't quite as pronounced.

Feel free to use ball, just know that nether will be always waiting for you. :p

Dahbomb

Nether Tentacles are so broke. Stopped playing DH because it got really boring.
Guys, we all know that we use elemental arrow is for that magical moment when a missle dampening elite pops up.
Yeah it's really magical when they have Reflect Damage on and all the balls clump together and then when they finally hit you die instantly.

Shouta

Feel free to use ball, just know that nether will be always waiting for you. :p

Until it all gets nerfed! Ball, Traps, Tentacles. IT'LL ALL GET NERFED AND MY MONK WILL REIGN SUPREME!

Anyway, Ball is more useful to me right now as I'm working towards taking a few hits and healing it up as I kite so more hits means my LoH gets more mileage. Granted, I dunno if I'd normally have LoH on my DH. This is my monk gear after all.

Totakeke

Yeah it's really magical when they have Reflect Damage on and all the balls clump together and then when they finally hit you die instantly.

You'd only have to die one time rather than ten! I don't see how that is a bad thing. :)

You still can SS it.

Neki

dat Shadow Power Gloom

zL7uw.jpg

You. Have. Died.

This game...

They should just show this screen the second you create a monk right now and force you to make something else. Making the transition from monk to DH even though i enjoy the way monk plays so much more, has made the game infinitely more enjoyable as sad as that is.

ezekial45

Banned
So what's going to happen in the next update? The 1.0.3 update, I believe it's called. Is there going to be some substantial content added?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Had a great game with you tonight Shouta. The worst part is, right after I left, I only played for 20 minutes with my friend, and he had to leave to tend to his wife.

I COULD HAVE FINISHED ACT IV! (just kidding, who cares? Now to level my third class)

Jira

They should just show this screen the second you create a monk right now and force you to make something else. Making the transition from monk to DH even though i enjoy the way monk plays so much more, has made the game infinitely more enjoyable as sad as that is.

You need to be running serenity with the heal rune in place of uhh your 2 skill. Being able to avoid all damage for a couple seconds is a godsend in Inferno.

Shouta

They have an escape skill. It just sucks.

I don't think anyone uses Dashing Strike. Well a few do but, eh. Tempest Rush not naturally reducing damage is stupid though. But honestly, I'd just kick the mobs away with LTK - Sweeping Armada and walk away rather than use Dashing Strike.

Once 1.03 hits, smart Monks in A3/A4 should hopefully have it easier. I can do A3/A4 now with my gear, if the stupid affixes aren't totally bullshit and working against me, lol.

Svafnir

I love monk! Really shoulda kept at it, I just streamroll act 3/4 and able to stand in a ton of things such as plagued. A lot of my friends switched to range classes and now they regret it, sure ranged is easier but they cant take any hints. But all that extra time in my monk has really paid of.

Svafnir

I don't think anyone uses Dashing Strike. Well a few do but, eh. Tempest Rush not naturally reducing damage is stupid though. But honestly, I'd just kick the mobs away with LTK - Sweeping Armada and walk away rather than use Dashing Strike.

Once 1.03 hits, smart Monks in A3/A4 should hopefully have it easier. I can do A3/A4 now with my gear, if the stupid affixes aren't totally bullshit and working against me, lol.

Dashing strike is the best monk skill, it allows me to completly avoid mechanics and get out of jailer/waller. Dashing strike was THE skill that let me kill Diablo on inferno, that stupid fireball he drops on the ground? Just dash before it drops and it misses you and keeps going. Azmodans meteor he drops? Walk away from him, and dash back and it drops on nothing. Desecrator? Dash.

Not to mention dashing strike costs only 10 spirit with quicksilver and has no cooldown, the battlefield is mine. I can jump all over the place to any monster and a lot of enviromental objcects.

Edit: adding this point, I can't imagine monk without dashing strike. Monk feels like it needs to be played fast paced to me, I would never give up dashing strike for anything. But I also play monk a lot differently than a lot of people I noticed, I never used breath of heaven and much prefer blind to any other monk defensive skill.

eek5

Someone just sniped an item I was bidding on. Pretty impressive. They outbid me at literally the last second; I tabbed out and back and it was expired before I could even refresh the new current bid.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

I used Dashing Strike all the way to the end of Hell and found it invaluable, though as I said when we played tonight, I haven't touched Inferno with my Monk.

Dashing strike is the best monk skill, it allows me to completly avoid mechanics and get out of jailer/waller. Dashing strike was THE skill that let me kill Diablo on inferno, that stupid fireball he drops on the ground? Just dash before it drops and it misses you and keeps going. Azmodans meteor he drops? Walk away from him, and dash back and it drops on nothing. Desecrator? Dash.

Not to mention dashing strike costs only 10 spirit with quicksilver and has no cooldown, the battlefield is mine. I can jump all over the place to any monster and a lot of enviromental objcects.

This is what is so fucking useful about dashing strike. You're invincible mid dash, which saved me from umpteen different awful freeze situations. That said, it would be nice if you dashed more than 2 fucking feet when you aren't aiming at an enemy or object.

I love monk! Really shoulda kept at it, I just streamroll act 3/4 and able to stand in a ton of things such as plagued. A lot of my friends switched to range classes and now they regret it, sure ranged is easier but they cant take any hints. But all that extra time in my monk has really paid of.

I spent an immense amount of time on my monk trying to make it work, I love the playstyle behind it but its just far to frustrating right now. Ill go back once either inferno is tuned a little better or monks get some love.

Monk can be somewhat viable in act 1 without going out of your way to buy immense amounts of gear but outside of that there really is no way to play through inferno solely off of farming your own gear as act 1 drops aren't good enough to get a monk through act 2 / 3.

joesmokey

Yeah I know lol, sorry I was just being sarcastic about monks ability to do anything in inferno aside from die quickly and die slightly slower while geared to the teeth.
Geared monks are pretty insane. I have a monk friend who's been playing since day 1 and is insanely well geared (1k+ dps 1hr for starters). We steamrolled Acts II/III in Inferno in a single day session. As a wizard all I had to do was sit there and pew pew while he tanked everything.

Jira

I spent an immense amount of time on my monk trying to make it work, I love the playstyle behind it but its just far to frustrating right now. Ill go back once either inferno is tuned a little better or monks get some love.

Monk can be somewhat viable in act 1 without going out of your way to buy immense amounts of gear but outside of that there really is no way to play through inferno solely off of farming your own gear as act 1 drops aren't good enough to get a monk through act 2 / 3.[

That applies to every class in the game.

Geared monks are pretty insane. I have a monk friend who's been playing since day 1 and is insanely well geared (1k+ dps 1hr for starters). We steamrolled Acts II/III in Inferno in a single day session. As a wizard all I had to do was sit there and pew pew while he tanked everything.

The issue is in how you have to get that geared versus how other classes can get that geared. Other classes can farm there own gear all the way through finishing inferno but monk is stuck spending a ton of time on the AH.

Its just not how I want to play a diablo game and in my personal opinion is incredibly broken gameplay when you cant realistically farm your way through a farming game.

My DH that just hit 60 like a day ago can already farm act 3 and 4 inferno without a single issue and without having bought barely any gear whatsoever where as my monk would have had to spend immense amounts of time farming gold to buy gear off the ah just to go to a area he now overgears a ton.

Am I the only one who really doesn't care about selling items for $10 - $20 and would rather just have the gold / items? I see a lot of people saying they're buying items from the GAH and selling for like $20. To me that's like a frappucino and going out to lunch at work instead of eating at the cafe downstairs.

Rather just have the gold lol.

Junie12

Reading all these Monks stories really makes me sad :(

I love the class but I unfortunately had to abandon it for a Wizard since they're just not getting the job done.

kennah

I'm still selling all sorts of stuff on the gold auction House, but nothing in the RMAH.

In other news - finally just before Diablo in Normal, and it's time for bed. Gotta beat this guy during daytime ....

I bought a stormshield for 75k yesterday on the ah, and got $160 for it on the rmah ^.^ I feel kinda bad though, there is no way that person ment to sell it for 75k.... or maybe he just felt like being nice? Either way if I didnt buy it, someone else would have a second later.

Bought staff for 10k (990dps, 200 armor, 100 dex, 100 vit) the guy must have missed some zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom