• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III Patch 1.15 adds PS4 Pro support

ch4fx_

CqQk3oc.png

FOR THE MONTH OF JANUARY

I GUESS THEY DID MENTION SOMETHING ABOUT IT, THANKS.

In some ways like monster density I believe it is. The differences are relatively minor though, in my opinion.

Monster density is slightly lower but very insignificant. Some skills work and scale a little bit differently, basically you are looking at a slightly higher power level across the board on consoles.

noomi

Own on both PC and PS4....

Maybe I'll start up the ps4 game again, will wait for Digital Foundry verdict though.

Fliesen

thanks GAF, I just went ahead and bought this from my local GS. Shame I don't have access to my old PS3 version anymore to online transfer data, have to start a new game ... i ain't complaining :p

1080p screens

4K screens hopefully assisting in pixel counting

looks like native 4K text rendering, yet some subnative UI assets (like the graphics around the health bar)
And those edges look very clean. looking at all those wooden signposts / planks

So the diablo I have on PS4 is different than the diablo I have on pc?

The camera view is halved on console - viewing area for the player lower > monster awareness and AI changed accordingly. Monster density lower, monster hp lower. Autoaim for ranged as opposed to exact aim with mouse. Changed cooldown timer for certain abilities. Click to move on PC using pathfinding algorithms and much more flexible in moving and combat due to this. Direct control of characters on console - inneficient and limiting control method so dodge was implemented as a support crutch for consoles. And who know what else. All this stuff acumulates so it becomes a different playing and feeling experience on PC or consoles.

ch4fx_

I will if it has online co-op and you tag it up with me ;)

EDIT: Oh and CH4fx .. I got Bloodborne!!!!!

I'll do you one even better, it had 4 player online co-op
& Tacoz, Cloud, & I already have it.

You bought the GOAT, sir. Great choice!

baconcow

Just you guys wait. It'll probably be a 4K UI.

^^^

I doubt that they will do serious work to Diablo 3 as they farted out the weakest PS4 Pro patch to date with the much more recent game, Overwatch

Even so, it will unlock the full GPU and CPU to help push against any late game frame drops that occur in the Rifts. Despite running amazing, one of the console's best, it still had some drops when things got intense.

is an Online only mode coming with seasons?

PC version stays the only way to play until that happens.

ps4 version is installing in the other room though. maybe me and the wife can do a playthrough with the new stuffs

It is already more than the ui. It's been confirmed.

it wasnt at the time I made my original post which is the entire reason I said

It's more of a hold your horses statement

This is the best news. Been about 6 months since I had another bout of addiction with this game, but I did boot it up the other day to see how it looked on the KS8000... even as a regular game it was just looking great in general due to better TV, but now I'm keen to see what Pro support does for it.

Thanks, Blizzard. Keep the support coming. I also just rebought the game digitally last week for convenience sake too... 3rd time counting PC.

hoserx

I have this game on ps4 but this thread really got me interested in checking out the PC version. $19.99 on battle.net right now, so I bought it. Support for high-refresh rate monitors was the kicker for me. Downloading now.

ramyeon

So tempting to get this. I played a lot of it on PC back at release but haven't played the expansion content yet.

My backlog though...

Goddammit I sold my copy a few months back. Knew that would be a mistake, even though I played the hell out of it and have a massive backlog that deserves my attention.

Is this the diablo remaster update or?

It's the first listed feature in the first image in the first post.. Also the post at the top of this page.. I guess if you have images disabled you wouldn't see it. So yes, the 20th Anniversary stuff is in this update but accessible FOR JANUARY ONLY

Coincidentally I just started playing this again 2 days ago, so good timing for me.

Jimrpg

So tempting to get this. I played a lot of it on PC back at release but haven't played the expansion content yet.

My backlog though...

I think the PC expansion would still be better if you have a PC to play it on. I'm assuming a bigger community, better support and more content over the long run. The console version is always a bit behind in that regard. It's still useful to get the console version for couch co-op.

Syf

Banned
If you have any interest in playing online, get PC. Console versions are full of hacked items that ruin the game.
Here are your receipts from the official patch notes:

Added a 64-bit client as default for 64-bit Microsoft Windows operating systems
With this, players should see improvements to system performance and faster loading times
This change uses DirectX 11 natively, which brings support for normal maps, per pixel lighting and improved anti-aliasing options
The 32-bit client is still available as an option through the Battle.net Launcher
Added a screen space ambient occlusion (SSAO) pixel shader option
Added a large cursor option
Improved support for 60Hz+ monitors
And this is really, really nice.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is this 4k/60?

The screenshot says 4k but no mention of the framerate?

Game is still 60 FPS based on my first few minutes even running on Pro at 4K. The game was already 60 FPS, no reason why they'd hamper that.

Syf

Banned
Just fired it up on PC. The new AA methods make a world of a difference, and real 120Hz support is great. I'm definitely down to play the new season on Friday.

mileS

supersampling for 1080 user?

From the screens posted in this thread thus far it looks like it.

I love that they added 4K support just in time for an event that deliberately looks bad.

you can turn it on and off but yeah this is pretty funny. Not that I will complain or anything... Always have props for devs that go back and add PS4 Pro patches. Now if Blizzard could put a tiny bit more effort into a Overwatch Pro patch I'll be really happy :D

Planet

Haven't played this in a long time, so my judgement may be off, but it feels a bit smoother in frame rate to me. Also it looks very clean and jaggie / shimmering free on my 1080p screen. Again, I don't have a recent memory to compare it to, but I think it wasn't that clean before. A DF analysis sure would be interesting to watch.

The homage dungeon is well done, but still feels 97% D3.

Hey Blizzard! Please don't make the Necro too expensive, because I'd love to play him but won't pay more than €10 at the very most.

ramyeon

I think the PC expansion would still be better if you have a PC to play it on. I'm assuming a bigger community, better support and more content over the long run. The console version is always a bit behind in that regard. It's still useful to get the console version for couch co-op.
I played most of it at Internet Cafes as I was living in Korea at the time and they were cheap and the game was huge over there then haha.

I do own the base game for Mac, it should run pretty decently on my 2015 MacBook Pro Retina but I wouldn't mind seeing what it's like on console too.

Can pick it up pretty cheap at the moment - on sale for $29AU so it's very tempting...

So what's the consensus? Downsampled or not?
From the screens posted in this thread thus far it looks like it.
I don't know about consensus, but from my analysis the game is not downsampled at 1080p. It doesn't have particularly strong AA at that resolution; it looks like the same decent coverage shown in old screenshots. My personal guess is that 1080p on Pro is likely identical to playing on standard PS4.

Hope someone at DF will be wake at the crack of dawn to the video analysis.
No need to wait for them, graphical analysis is not the sole responsibility of five guys on earth. Bearing in mind that I could always be wrong, here's what I've found from the shots:

- At 4K, Pro is probably rendering at native 4K. There's slight possibilities of checkerboard 4K, or a slightly lower res such as 1800p, but I'd bet it's a full-size render.

- As mentioned earlier in the thread, art elements of the UI like the quickbar skills are upscaled from 1080p. Text and polygonal stuff like quest markers are native 4K.

- There's stronger AA at 4K than there is at 1080p. I'd say it's likely post-process, because it appears to affect textures as well as edges.

The camera view is halved on console - viewing area for the player lower > monster awareness and AI changed accordingly. Monster density lower, monster hp lower. Autoaim for ranged as opposed to exact aim with mouse. Changed cooldown timer for certain abilities. Click to move on PC using pathfinding algorithms and much more flexible in moving and combat due to this. Direct control of characters on console - inneficient and limiting control method so dodge was implemented as a support crutch for consoles. And who know what else. All this stuff acumulates so it becomes a different playing and feeling experience on PC or consoles.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown. Didn't realize there are so many differences. I played the PC version when the game came out and just got the ps4 version last week. Didn't see too many differences to my casual eyes, but there certainly are!! Having fun with PS4 though, love that couch co-op.

SURGEdude

I don't know about consensus, but from my analysis the game is not downsampled at 1080p. It doesn't have particularly strong AA at that resolution; it looks like the same decent coverage shown in old screenshots. My personal guess is that 1080p on Pro is likely identical to playing on standard PS4.

No need to wait for them, graphical analysis is not the sole responsibility of five guys on earth. Bearing in mind that I could always be wrong, here's what I've found from the shots:

- At 4K, Pro is probably rendering at native 4K. There's slight possibilities of checkerboard 4K, or a slightly lower res such as 1800p, but I'd bet it's a full-size render.

- As mentioned earlier in the thread, art elements of the UI like the quickbar skills are upscaled from 1080p. Text and polygonal stuff like quest markers are native 4K.

- There's stronger AA at 4K than there is at 1080p. I'd say it's likely post-process, because it appears to affect textures as well as edges.

Really love to know why stuff that runs at 4k on a 4k screen isn't always getting downsampled on 1080p.

Top Bottom