• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Managing resource pools with Health Globes is pretty fun. You have to map out the fight in advance in terms of resource management.

"Ok if I turn on Vengeance + Wolf companion now I am set for Cluster Arrow spam until it's done."

"After that I can use Preparation twice and by that time some Health Globes will have spawned."

"Then I am going to pick up one Health Globe to get some Hatred + Disc back, unload my Cluster Arrow and then pick up the other one. By this time I should have another Disc for another Preparation use."

Things get messy when you have to use a clutch Smoke Screen to save yourself or reposition yourself so you have to choose between Prep or Smoke.

The Cowboy

RIF is dead right now. Wow. Hard to get my games to fill up.
Are you in the EU? (this may also be in the US to), I'm just wondering as there is another RiF someone setup that isn't actually the main RiF. The main (proper) one is called "Rift it Forward", Rift it Forward is invite only now (you just need to message an officer of the community) - if your in "Rift it Forward SC" your in the wrong one (this is one someone else setup).
-
If you are actually in the proper one, then very weird as if anything i get loads more requests now when i post about my Rift, RiF EU has around 7000 people in it and almost always has around 1000 in the chat channels (last time i looked).

In saying this, it could be due to the amount of people in chat that you got placed into a more empty channel (there is a limit on how many people can be in a chat channel), as such i would suggest leaving chat and then re-joining chat to see if you get a more active channel.

iceclimbersv3ec4.png
my first real legendary legendary (in rarity and usefullness) after 600 odd rifts

happy with the roll the only thing that could've been better is vit instead of MS and a health globe secondary
the passive works on the annoying doors in pandemonium fortress, i'm never taking these off again

these things are too frigging rare, I've only seen one guy ingame with them so far, noone in my clan has them either
some legs (witching hour, ice climbers, shard of hate, unity and maaaybe cindercoat it's hard to tell with so many people gambling for them non stop) seem like they're about 50 times more rare (literally) than any other leg

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Finicky-2766/hero/39170888
my barb so far

ElyrionX

Just started playing my DH today and somehow stumbled onto a Cloak of the Garwulf in my second rift ever on DH. How rare is this thing? Also, what should I re-roll for sockets? Hatred regen or movement speed?

garath

Just started playing my DH today and somehow stumbled onto a Cloak of the Garwulf in my second rift ever on DH. How rare is this thing? Also, what should I re-roll for sockets? Hatred regen or movement speed?

Reroll the move speed. Nice cloak. 3 wolves are awesome

Discobird

Not rare, I've found four or five and most of my DH buddies with a lot less DH play time have found one too. But they're awesome and probably BIS if you're not using a fire build.

One of the wolves is a bit touched in the head and lags behind the others, but I kinda like it. Cutest bug in the game

ElyrionX

Reroll the move speed. Nice cloak. 3 wolves are awesome

That's what I thought at first but then again how useful is hatred regen? 1.5 hatred regen per second doesn't sound all that useful and the additional move speed would free up more paragon points that I can put into Dex.

Ive hit a plateau with my WD.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MentholMoose-1800/hero/43260179

The only gear that could help right now are :
- Zuni Full Set
- Full Jade Set + Quetz Helm,
- Stone of Jordan Ring,
- Theo & Tasker Gloves,
- StarMetal Kukuri Weapon.

All of these have stupidly low drop rate...
Might be the time to play Dark Souls II instead.

I'm in the same boat as you. It's making it really hard to log in when I think about how from launch to now, I've only gotten 3 jade harvester chest piece and zuni boots/mojo. RNG yada yada, it's extreme, those rarer than rare legendaries can roll shitty too.

Sanctuary

SoJ doesn't seem like a ring worth using until T5/T6.

Gambled 600 shards last night and ended up with a second Unity (Follower has the death prevention trinket...yay exploits!), and a 19% Arcane Damage, 28% damage to elites, 483 INT and added 50% CD SoJ.

I did a bunch of Ghom runs to test it out compared to the Hellfire ring I was using. I ended up doing 30 runs with each ring on T3, T4 and T5. On both of the difficulties below T5, the kill speed was identical. This means that the SoJ is grossly inferior to any other ring that can give you similar (or the same) killing speed vs an elite, because it's much worse against trash.

On T5 however, there was a noticeable difference; 15s on average to be exact.

This of course was when soloing. When in a group, the SoJ probably goes up in value per difficulty prior to T5 depending on the number of people. In a four person T4 group, it's probably worth it. T3, doubtful.

Artanisix

A properly rolled SoJ will be a massive damage boost. It's certainly worth it if you can spare the slot, no matter what torment you're running.

Not sure why your tests turned out the way they did. What class and build were you running?

The only way id give up my soj is if I found 2 unities, and then only because of the bug
and even then I wouldn't use them until I complete the earthen set (sigh, 1 piece in 400+rifts on barb, so 800 rifts to go assuming I don't get a double, right? =:( ) or get better weaps to make it worth doing t4-6

atm I'm just doing t3 only and nothing there is a threat to me to anyhow

Sanctuary

A properly rolled SoJ will be a massive damage boost. It's certainly worth it if you can spare the slot, no matter what torment you're running.

Not sure why your tests turned out the way they did. What class and build were you running?

How did I not get a "properly rolled" SoJ? The max elemental is 20% and the max elite damage is 30%. It's not perfect, but 1% more ele and 2% more elite is not going to be a massive damage boost by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe you guys should do your own tests instead of just believing that "it's working"?

And I'm using Arcane Torrent (Cascade), which is one of the fastest ways to kill elites outside of Archon for a Wizard not playing on T5/T6 using Mirrorball +2 and Conflag. The ring works, and I never said that it didn't, but depending on your DPS, it doesn't seem remotely worth it below T5 when soloing at all. Hellfire ring is also helping to gain Paragon slightly faster, even though most of your XP comes from quest rewards anyway.

How did I not get a "properly rolled" SoJ? The max elemental is 20% and the max elite damage is 30%. It's not perfect, but 1% more ele and 2% more elite is not going to be a massive damage boost by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe you guys should do your own tests instead of just believing that "it's working"?

And I'm using Arcane Torrent (Cascade), which is one of the fastest ways to kill elites outside of Archon for a Wizard not playing on T5/T6 using Mirrorball +2 and Conflag.

soj can roll twice the elite dmg compared to unity and the 20 percent elemental dmg adds a lot as well...

your 'tests' can't be worth much if you conclude that you get a faster kill on t4-5 but some how not on t3
elite dmg is elite dmg it works on any torment level

OT: it's becoming really difficult to find the items you need once you only need a few more specific ones.
sadly for me they are the ones that would significantly increase my dmg, like a better thunderfury or a shard of hate, IK chest or gloves (for the setbonus) or 2 more earthen set pieces <.<

I basically have to pray to lady luck that she'll give me one of these rare (except IK set which isn't that rare) items any time soon that she hasn't given me in the past 400 rifts
there's a real possiblity now that I'll not find an upgrade in the next 2 weeks, kind of demoralising

Pungza

The only way id give up my soj is if I found 2 unities, and then only because of the bug
and even then I wouldn't use them until I complete the earthen set (sigh, 1 piece in 400+rifts on barb, so 800 rifts to go assuming I don't get a double, right? =:( ) or get better weaps to make it worth doing t4-6

atm I'm just doing t3 only and nothing there is a threat to me to anyhow

Whats the unity bug?

Sanctuary

your 'tests' can't be worth much if you conclude that you get a faster kill on t4-5 but some how not on t3
elite dmg is elite dmg it works on any torment level

I never said my kills were lower on T3. No idea where you gleaned that. I said they were identical with both rings until T5, where the SoJ clearly pulled ahead.

Whats the unity bug?

you put one onyour follower alongside the 'follower cannot die' token ,and you just get a flat 50 percent dmg reduction
normally there's the penalty of taking dmg when the follower/other player equipping it takes dmg but with the follower token that apparently gets circumvented

I never said my kills were lower on T3. No idea where you gleaned that.

k so you're saying it IS after on all torrents but somehow it's not worth using over a ring with less damage?

TxdoHawk

Hit 60 with my DH today and decided to finally see what people suggest build-wise. Switched from Evasive Fire (Parting Gift)/Rapid Fire(Web Shot) to Hungering Arrow (Serrated)/Cluster Arrow (Shooting Stars) for my main damage output. Holy crap, what a difference.

scy

The exact same time at lower HP values but different at higher is a little awkward and I'm not sure what would explain that short of the difference is there but meaningless (e.g., within RNG tolerance). But I mean, if the Unity is decent, it has a good amount of Elite Damage and it's not like Elemental Damage is always better than CC/CHD. It's still a tradeoff of stats.

If anything, I think it'd be more interesting to know the difference between Hellfire speeds since that's the ring everyone immediately dismisses.

Artanisix

I never said you didn't get a properly rolled SoJ. There's really no reason to be aggressive in that department. I was making a general statement.

Without my SoJ, my WD fetishes crit for 5 million less each. That is significant and I'm not seeing how any other ring could replace that, no matter what torment level I'm running, which is what you're proposing. You say:

This means that the SoJ is grossly inferior to any other ring that can give you similar (or the same) killing speed vs an elite, because it's much worse against trash.

Trash has almost no lifetime whatsoever on lower torments once your gear hits a certain threshold. What ring are you going to use that gives you a better clear speed than an SoJ, a ring that boosts your ability to kill units that actually take time to kill?

traveler

Not Wario
The exact same time at lower HP values but different at higher is a little awkward and I'm not sure what would explain that short of the difference is there but meaningless (e.g., within RNG tolerance). But I mean, if the Unity is decent, it has a good amount of Elite Damage and it's not like Elemental Damage is always better than CC/CHD. It's still a tradeoff of stats.

If anything, I think it'd be more interesting to know the difference between Hellfire speeds since that's the ring everyone immediately dismisses.

But the tradeoff isn't in cc/cd. A properly rolled soj has cc, cd, elite dmg, and elem dmg. Swapping something else in typically means trading 20 ele/30 elite for some combination of main stat, dmg, and as, and I can't really see the latter stats being better than the former for most torment builds. (especially given the specs that don't even want as.)

scy

Incidentally, I'm curious ... what's the total time? Like, 15s faster is a weird number for a fight that some classes can do the kill in that total amount of time. My Lightning Crusader build did that on T4 in 30s so 15s faster is double my speed: That's pretty good right there.

If it's 45s vs 30s, that's still 33% less time. That's significant. If it's like 300s vs 285s, sure, nobody cares too much I guess about a 5% drop.

But the tradeoff isn't in cc/cd. A properly rolled soj has cc, cd, elite dmg, and elem dmg. Swapping something else in typically means trading 20 ele/30 elite for some combination of main stat, dmg, and as, and I can't really see the latter stats being better than the former for most torment builds. (especially given the specs that don't even want as.)

Well, if we're going with the godtier SoJ, sure. I was going off what I assumed was used here from the post. Which would be a Main Stat / Elemental / CHD / Elite SoJ vs your average Unity (Main Stat / CC% / CHD% / Elite). Which would mean CC vs Elemental.

And, no, I agree that it isn't going to better in essentially every case. It should always be strictly worse. It can be comparable, though, which is what I was getting at as that should be the proper conclusion here.

Edit: Well, I shouldn't say "strictly" since a bad SoJ is potentially worse than a good Unity but that's a flawed test anyway :x

Nymerio

Ive hit a plateau with my WD.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MentholMoose-1800/hero/43260179

The only gear that could help right now are :
- Zuni Full Set
- Full Jade Set + Quetz Helm,
- Stone of Jordan Ring,
- Theo & Tasker Gloves,
- StarMetal Kukuri Weapon.

All of these have stupidly low drop rate...
Might be the time to play Dark Souls II instead.

Heh, you're using almost the exact same build I'm using (I think I have a different Spirit Walk rune). I just wish I had a Mask of Jeram, though I have at least the Tasker and Theo gloves.

THANK YOU BASED KADALA.

DYQP02R.jpg

Took between 1.5k and 2k blood shards. That is a lot of toughness to lose, though, and I already die often if I'm not careful.

Re roll to one of my skills or go for VIT or Life % ?

Sanctuary

Here are the results of my own 180 run tests on Ghom:

T3: Hellfire avg 16.5s
T3: SoJ avg 16.1s

T4: Hellfire avg 26.2s
T4: SoJ avg 26.3s

T5: Hellfire avg 50.6s
T5: SoJ avg 35.4s

FWIW, I am also using the Tal's 4pc bonus. Maybe those meteors are skewing the results slightly on shorter fights?

For reference, my Hellfire ring is:

85 - 150 damage
43% CD
6% CC
8% cost reduction

The Unity that I have also has similar stats to the Hellfire ring, but combined with exploting it, gives you much higher survivability. To the point in which you could also take an offensive skill or passive that would replace a defensive one.

desverger

That's what I thought at first but then again how useful is hatred regen? 1.5 hatred regen per second doesn't sound all that useful and the additional move speed would free up more paragon points that I can put into Dex.

Well, move speed is something you can get from Paragon points, but hatred regen isn't.

Also, I just got a Cloak of the Garwulf from Kadala as well today. Super low rolls across the board but managed to roll 3 sockets on it on the first try, guess I'll stick with it!

Here are the results of my own 180 run tests on Ghom:

T3: Hellfire avg 16.5s
T3: SoJ avg 16.1s

T4: Hellfire avg 26.2s
T4: SoJ avg 26.3s

T5: Hellfire avg 50.6s
T5: SoJ avg 35.4s

FWIW, I am also using the Tal's 4pc bonus. Maybe those meteors are skewing the results slightly on shorter fights?

For reference, my Hellfire ring is:

85 - 150 damage
43% CD
6% CC
8% cost reduction

The Unity that I have also has similar stats to the Hellfire ring, but combined with exploting it, gives you much higher survivability. To the point in which you could also take an offensive skill or passive that would replace a defensive one.

Can i get your profile link?

Dahbomb

I asked 5 people I knew who got Witching Hour and they said Wizard/WD as well (4 Wizards one Witch Doctor not including the posts here).

My guess is that the item is more likely to drop for an Intel class, more specifically for Wizards. Anecdotal evidence but I gambled for Belts for a week (10K shards) and got every belt at least once except Witching Hour. I used a DH though so maybe if I tried with Wizard I would've gotten it by now.

I asked 5 people I knew who got Witching Hour and they said Wizard/WD as well (4 Wizards one Witch Doctor not including the posts here).

My guess is that the item is more likely to drop for an Intel class, more specifically for Wizards. Anecdotal evidence but I gambled for Belts for a week (10K shards) and got every belt at least once except Witching Hour. I used a DH though so maybe if I tried with Wizard I would've gotten it by now.

If that is the case, that would be fucking stupid. Should be the same for all classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom