• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition |OT| Loot has never looked this good before!

Rizzi

If it's a legit item (ie, not hacked... not accusing you of anything, maybe you got it gifted from somebody), then I could go for that 'Wrath of the Bone King' mace.

Jaeger_Dice on PSN.

I sent you a friend request. It dropped in one of the rifts I did this morning. I just have no use for a 2h mace.

I sent you a friend request. It dropped in one of the rifts I did this morning. I just have no use for a 2h mace.

Cool, I just got it man. Thanks!

Does it look hacked to you? Why?

No, it didn't, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing. :)

BTW, Diablo 3 noob question. How do get more of the materials needed to enchant stuff? Do they just drop randomly, or is there stuff I can salvage to get more?

Thanks!

SDCowboy

So are Demon hunters supposed to have absolutely zero defense? I feel like I've done something horribly wrong with mine. Obviously they're DPS oriented, but my DH practically dies if an enemy even looks at him.

Blizzard doesn't want us console peasants dirtying up their boards.
That's certainly what it feels like. lol

The only legitimate excuse I can think of is that the console versions aren't exactly matched up with the PC version; PC is on 2.1.x, but the consoles are effectively on 2.0.x. I can see how that could cause confusion when discussing the nitty gritty of "how Monks work" or whatever, but it seems like such nuances can just be made clear in the discussion itself.

If that really is such a major concern, then they could at least duplicate the entire set of forums for the console users, and give "console Monks" a place to discuss strategy without the Wizards and whatnot getting in the way, but I still think it'd be better to have a common for all platforms, to encourage cross-polinization of strategies. PC users have a lot of experience console players can draw from — especially when they can question the PC players directly — while console users bring a fresh perspective, unclouded by memories of how things worked in the old days.

ZenaxPure

So why are Green Gems better than Diamond Gems, especially since you can do 20% more damage to elites?

It just gives more damage is all, simple as that really. 20% more damage to elites is nothing compared to 135% more critical hit damage.

Honestly gems in d3 have always been pretty stupid, there is no real selection or choice with the default gems you just pick what is going to give you the most damage (or if you need the extra resist you grab some diamonds for your armor). Legendary gems are a lot better so far, your selection is always build dependent which is how it should be.

Rizzi

Cool, I just got it man. Thanks!

No, it didn't, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing. :)

BTW, Diablo 3 noob question. How do get more of the materials needed to enchant stuff? Do they just drop randomly, or is there stuff I can salvage to get more?

Thanks!

They can drop, and you can get them from salvaging legendary items.

Grimløck;128193944 said:
what're you running? i tried a fire monk with a maximus and found it lacking.

2pc Sunwoku
2pc Capt. Crimson (3pc bonus due to RoRG)

Weapon is Flying Dragon.

Only have like 35% fire dmg atm, just came up with this build on a whim playing a bit today but I'm doing T2 on it.

edit: just found a magefist in my stash I found on my WD some time ago. lol. Lucky I'm a packrat.

It just gives more damage is all, simple as that really. 20% more damage to elites is nothing compared to 135% more critical hit damage.

Honestly gems in d3 have always been pretty stupid, there is no real selection or choice with the default gems you just pick what is going to give you the most damage (or if you need the extra resist you grab some diamonds for your armor). Legendary gems are a lot better so far, your selection is always build dependent which is how it should be.

I suck at math, but even I can't deny the logic in that. Looks like i'll be replacing the gem on my sword -__-

Would you mind posting your build and a rough idea of your build when you get the chance? I don't think your build is too dissimilar to mine, although I'm using slash/crush and sweep/blazing as primary/secondary.

EDIT: Just watched you checking out your gear... you're WAY ahead of me.

Here's the build, for reference, I just switched to Invincible for my Law and Long Arm of the Law for a passive:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/crusader#SYflQP!ZgSR!YaaZaa

Basically spam Blessed Shield
For tougher packs I pop Phalanx and THEN Laws of Valor to give the Bowmen increased attack speed, too. For really tough packs I pop Heaven's Fury on top of that. For "WTF HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO" moments I pop all of those and then Akarat's.

As you guys saw on the stream I JUST got my 5th Akkhan piece (chest). Unsure if I will use it for the Akarat's CD or not. I dig my Cain's 2-set bonus of 8% increased attack speed and the gloves give an extra 7% attack speed.

I don't rely on Akarat's much unless it's a boss or OH SHIT pack, which is why I use Fire Starter for the extra DPS since my single-target is so slow. With my 5pc and my current CD reduction it's a 32s cooldown. So I'm only NOT in Akarat's 12 seconds at a time.

I aim for more consistency and faster burst than that so I might just outright replace Akarat's altogether with another short DPS cooldown or an ability to spam since nothing I have costs any Wrath. Unsure, really. Maybe a defensive like Consecration or Iron Skin. Not sure what to do with that slot. I like Akarat's but I don't want to be dependent on it.

Any suggestions on the break 50 items trophy? I saw a video but it was in german and he was in act 2 somewhere, but I couldnt figure it out.

i got mine in the cemetary in act one. there's a basically a path around the middle breaking all the gravestones and stair-ends on the way. took a couple of tries but no fancy tricks required just rolling.

So are Demon hunters supposed to have absolutely zero defense? I feel like I've done something horribly wrong with mine. Obviously they're DPS oriented, but my DH practically dies if an enemy even looks at him.
I know how you feel. Just tweaked my build to incorporate Preparation w/ Battle Scars to help matters (instant replenishment of Discipline and 40% health).

Will also look for more gear with resistances and life-on-hit.

But yeah, Demon Hunter seems mighty squishy considering there are plenty enough sources of unavoidable damage. Even if you move like lightning you're still going to take some hits, whether from being stunned, frozen, teleported into bad stuff or just getting zapped by some area-effect lightning - so you have to consider it. Just wish there were more skills/runes/passives to help mitigate or avoid or reflect damage - outside of pure speed and maneuverability that is.

That and it absolutely stinks that Vault doesn't let you escape over walls.

Korosenai

It ruins a big part of the game though, and really destroys the community of the game.
All you find anymore on torments 3 or higher are games full of hacked weapons, so I agree with this. I want to play the game and enjoy it, not follow some dude obliterating everything in seconds and doing nothing but pick up gold.

Smoke Screen is the most important defensive skill for DH, forget Vault. Try using that and Fan of Knives with the knock back rune to escape.
Smoke Screen can't get through walls either. Vault seems like a better way to get some serious distance / breathing room. Vault's cheaper too and has no inherent cooldown.

But I guess it breaks effects like stun/jail? That's always a good thing.

Smoke Screen can't get through walls either. Vault seems like a better way to get some serious distance / breathing room. Vault's cheaper too and has no inherent cooldown.

But I guess it breaks effects like stun/jail? That's always a good thing.

It does. It also helps avoid the worst of it when you're walled.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I just checked a gem guide to see what the highest tier is, and holy shit, there's legendary gems? :-0

Nokterian

I suck at math, but even I can't deny the logic in that. Looks like i'll be replacing the gem on my sword -__-

Every single weapon you have with a socket or make a socket at the mystic. Put in a green gem. Always. Hit damage helps a lot and if you take a look at the other page i posted a video from my monk it's from pc but a green gem in weapon is a must.

RdN

OK, Quickmatch in this game is officially ruined by now. Every room I enter is full of duped or hacked items, ridiculous amounts of damage and people messing with the difficulty.

I thought this wouldn't happen on a next gen system.

OK, Quickmatch in this game is officially ruined by now. Every room I enter is full of duped or hacked items, ridiculous amounts of damage and people messing with the difficulty.

I thought this wouldn't happen on a next gen system.

Because the boneheads at blizzard thought it was a good idea to let people import their saves from the last-gen systems

Recall

I did act 1 on normal bumped it to hard for act 2, then bumped it again to expert for act 3. I've begun act 4 at just level 34, is this normal to be this level range for act4?

nowai

i got mine in the cemetary in act one. there's a basically a path around the middle breaking all the gravestones and stair-ends on the way. took a couple of tries but no fancy tricks required just rolling.

Same here. I was lucky enough to be in a group of four with the lightning pylon in the cemetery.

Once we all got our sprint bonus, the destruction was glorious.

ZenaxPure

2.1 has additional content? I thought it was just rule changes and stuff.

Greater Rifts and Legendary gems for the console version (PC has seasons as well) on top of all the class/item changes (which are numerous). To be honest calling it more content to do when you get burned out on the old stuff is a bit misleading. This isn't some little expansion or something where you are doing something new and not touching an old part of the game, you get keystones for greater rifts inside normal rifts. This is basically just fleshing out the current rift feature even more. Personally I think if you're burned out on the game itself greater rifts and leg gems won't do much for you.

So basically the sooner they release the patch for console the better.

I find the Diablo subreddits to be a great source of info:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3
http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo
http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3Wizards
http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3Crusaders
http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3Witchdoctors
http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3Barbarians
http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3Monks
http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3Demonhunters

I especially find the specific class subreddits to be very useful.
The sidebars on the subreddits also have links to Damage calculators, Effective HP (EHP*) calculators, cooldown calculators, etc.

*Definition of Effective HP: A higher Effective HP is much much better than simply stacking a ton of Vitality and having lower resistances.

Links from the subreddit sidebars:

Damage Calculator Spreadsheet
Effective HP calculator Spreadsheet
DPS and EHP Calculator
Cooldown Reduction Calculator

Hope this helps out.

Thanks for this info man!

DD-11

I did act 1 on normal bumped it to hard for act 2, then bumped it again to expert for act 3. I've begun act 4 at just level 34, is this normal to be this level range for act4?

Dunno. I'm on level 34 and just completed act 1. I played it entirely on expert.

Greater Rifts and Legendary gems for the console version (PC has seasons as well) on top of all the class/item changes (which are numerous). To be honest calling it more content to do when you get burned out on the old stuff is a bit misleading. This isn't some little expansion or something where you are doing something new and not touching an old part of the game, you get keystones for greater rifts inside normal rifts. This is basically just fleshing out the current rift feature even more. Personally I think if you're burned out on the game itself greater rifts and leg gems won't do much for you.

So basically the sooner they release the patch for console the better.
Ah, right on. I'd actually forgotten about the grifts, but I was thinking maybe it finally had an Act V quest for the Enchantress, or something like that.

Haines

Banned
These things that say they are to make legendarys are worthless now aren't they? Why are they in the console version than?

tynestar

Daughter and I are at 36 and still in act 2 on hard. We are playing slow though and uncovering and killing everything.

ZenaxPure

Ah, right on. I'd actually forgotten about the grifts, but I was thinking maybe it finally had an Act V quest for the Enchantress, or something like that.

Hmmm? Unless they randomly removed it in the console version (which wouldn't make sense) the Enchantress does have an act 5 sidequest.

X-Frame

Got the Lidless Wall, Legendary Shield which has another bonus to lightning damage, bringing my Crusader up to over +80% lightning damage bonus, yikes.

I think Fire damage might be next, and it'll stack better with Firestarter.

Top Bottom