• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diagnosing computer problems: HD, RAM, MB or Video Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaptruder

Banned
Ok... so my comp has finally bumped into some show stopping problems, leaving me unable to do a few things like... watching video (some times) and playing WoW.

It's been having assortments of problems but nothing too severe over the last week or so, but last night, having it sit with the power on, but otherwise doing nothing (but downloading bittorrents), it was frozen when I woke up and got on. The only other times it would freeze was during WoW, and only occassionally.

Recently, I've upgraded my RAM, from 2*256 sticks to 2*512 sticks, a couple of cheap ones at that... worked well, in so far as they made all the framerate/loading problems in WoW go away, but maybe was the start of the computer starting to freeze a bit (only started a few days after I got the RAM).

My hard drive, WD JB 80gig... I've had for a couple years now; a month or so ago it started giving me trouble, not detecting during boot up, requiring a couple resets to get it running. But once it got into windows, it was running fine.
Similarly, my DVD-ROM, seems like it's on the fritz... returning errors installing some games, only to have those same games work fine with my CDRW.

Today, after the comp had its heart attack, or whatever (I can't seem to figure the source of the problem), I initially suspected it was the RAM causing the problem; swapping the RAM in and out, first one stick, then the other, then changing their locations on the mobo, and finally swapping in my old RAM (which worked fine, but were just small and slow). In all configurations, problems with loading windows persisted, requiring several attempts to get into desktop proper; the loading would be stuck at different points, including the initial Windows loading screen, the screen after that ('Starting up Windows') and the 'Welcome' message immediately after that.

The times I could succesfully get into desktop, I booted up WoW, only to have strange clicks and buzzing and stuttering from my sound occasionally... until it froze completely. Alot of the times it just froze right before getting into the actual game, during the loading screen, and twice it froze before loading up all the models at the AH.

In addition to this, tried to play AVIs of a DVD, which caused the comp the lock up and freeze in the same manner as WoW; attempted twice, locked up twice within 2 minutes of running. After that, copied the AVIs to my second hard drive, and ran it off there; which worked perfectly.

Something also makes a buzzing sound during startup... not the RAM, sounds like the hard drive.

----

So from reading that, does anyone have any idea which part of my comp is dead/dying? I'll need to replace that part I guess, and the sooner the better.
My guess is the primary (boot/windows/everything but media) hard drive is the faulty component.

tenchir

Yup, sounds like your hard drive is dying on you.

I think there is a 49.99 deal on 120 GB HDD at staples. Check out fatwallet for details.

Zaptruder

Banned
Ok. gonna get a hard drive... but anyone else think its something else? :p I can return it if its not the hard drive... but hopefully it is.

SickBoy

Sounds like the hard drive is a problem one way or another.

I think a lot of things could be causing problems, though. Given that you're having problems with more than one of your drives, I'd question whether the power supply is getting weak.

Finally, if your big stability problems have just started, I'd suggest there may be some memory issues at work, too.

My recommendation:

1) Get a new HD.
2) Consider a new power supply, or at least get a program to monitor it for a while, see if you get any wacky readings.
3) Play around with your memory some more. After you reinstall windows try to do stuff that was causing your problems and anything else to test the memory.

Crow

I agree, it sounds more than just your HD, but hearing unwelcome noises from your HD is definetly not a good sign. I strongly suggest a backup ASAP.

Darias

Also, you might want to run memtest86 and intel's memory test suite. Those two in tandem are usually suffucient to find any memory problem at all. Also, doublecheck the timing on the ram, make sure its correct.

MemTest86
Windows Memory Test

Buzzing Hard drive, or any sounds are usually bad, but run a drive fitness test before spending cash, imo.

DFT

Windows errors are a bit tougher to help... I'd start with a clean boot to desktop, and hit it with: ( sfc /scannow ) System file checker. This will test all OS files for integrity. Have your xp disc ready. Also download and run the DirectX updater, just in case.

regarding the sound card... I would first move its PCI location, preferably as close to the top as space and heat dissipation allow. Assuming it is a soundBlaster variant, they are notorious for having trouble lower in PCI slots... don't know why. Fresh drivers are advisable as well.

IMHO, find the problems that may exist before spending money. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom