• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE: BF4 on PS4 will likely use R2/L2 triggers to shoot

jett

D-Member
Devs should let people remap their shit. At least allow people to alternate between R1/L1 and R2/L2.

what

how

i don't even understand how this can be a thing

Buttons are superior for everything that doesn't need any sort of analog control. Rapidfiring with R1/L1 is way easier and faster than doing the same on an analog trigger.

GodofWine

I never had an issue with R1 since you use your actual trigger finger to 'pull' it, it feels natural.

But whatever...I'll be on day one BF4 with DS4 triggers

Orayn

I know it's an adjustment, but people are making a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be. You can easily release a spring-loaded trigger as soon as you've pressed down far enough to do some in-game action, or even "feather" the actuation point to spam that action faster than you could do with a button with short travel.

Mengetsu

There really should be options. I'v played 360 all this gen for FPS and it feels perfect but when I tried on PS3 it hurt. The DS4 seems like a big improvement over the DS3 so I don't mind but, yes options DICE. Don't force people to play a way they don't want to.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Why are they doing this? Is there an advantage to having analog control in the fire buttons? Or is it that people prefer the button placement of the R2/L2?

Bread

Banned
The 360 controller is absolutely not "perfect for shooters". Being able to quickly use secondary functions on L2/R2 with my middle fingers is fantastic, something not really possible with the Xbox controller without holding it in a supremely uncomfortable way.
I do the same thing with the Xbox controller, I've never found it uncomfortable. But then again, I learned to use "the claw" back in Halo 2 and 99% of people think that's uncomfortable too.

This is how it should be. I want to shoot with a trigger, not a bumper.

I wouldn't want to shoot with the 360 bumper either.

But R1 on a DS3 is much closer to pulling a gun trigger than pushing RT, trust me. Maybe in a western or pirate game with ancient weapons it would make sense...

Orayn

Why are they doing this? Is there an advantage to having analog control in the fire buttons? Or is it that people prefer the button placement of the R2/L2?

Mostly placement, I'd imagine, since it looks like L2/R2 are the default positions for your index fingers now that the controller's grips have been redesigned.

Some series like Halo also require you to press down the trigger different distances for different weapons, giving them varying levels of "weight."

Who squeezes a gun trigger with their middle finger????

R1 fo' lyfe

Who has uses their middle finger for pressing any button or trigger, period? That is horrible for your hands.

LAA

Very welcome to hear L2/R2 are gonna be used on BF4 and I guess most other shooters will too.
Dont understand why people like L1/R1 (Not insulting anyone, just wonder why?), though I was playing FPS's on 360 before PS3, I just love the feel of pulling triggers compared to pressing buttons.
I was wondering whether L1/R1 would be like 360's LB/RB, but I read they're not. I used to love (still do really) the feel of the bumpers, but I quite like L1/R1 too, so I dont really mind what they feel like at the end

Cheech

AWWW YISS, mother. fucking. triggers.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++111111111111111111111111111

Reason #3,415 that justifies my PS4 preorder.

Sounds dumb to people who primarily play games on Playstations, but those shitty ass Dual Shock controllers have just been a shiv to the gut for the last 15 years. I'm really looking forward to not having to fight my controller to play games.

One thing the people objecting have to realize is that the reason devs went to R1/L1 in the first place on those Dual Shocks is to get over the ergo nightmare of the controller design. You guys don't like change, I get that, but give it a shot.

rafbanaan

Exactly. I don't understand why devs omit this option so often. Just give us the choice. It frustrates me to no end on the PS3. Yes, the standard trigger on the PS3 is not great, but once you slap a set of Real Triggers on it, it's much better, yet I still can't use the triggers to shoot in many games, because the devs won't enable button switching.

Giotech-ps3-trigger.jpg

I've used those. They broke after 3 days : /

Omni

I wouldn't want to shoot with the 360 bumper either.

But R1 on a DS3 is much closer to pulling a gun trigger than pushing RT, trust me. Maybe in a western or pirate game with ancient weapons it would make sense...
Hmm. Maybe someone should tell Sony to make a new controller with new triggers. Maybe even call it a DS4.

Probably too crazy though

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Fuck that, I've been shooting on L1/R1 for way too long. Every fucking game should have customizable controls.

Exactly. I don't understand why devs omit this option so often. Just give us the choice. It frustrates me to no end on the PS3. Yes, the standard trigger on the PS3 is not great, but once you slap a set of Real Triggers on it, it's much better, yet I still can't use the triggers to shoot in many games, because the devs won't enable button switching.

Giotech-ps3-trigger.jpg
I find those trigger add-ons are good for racing games, but not so much shooters.

But yeah, I was hoping most PS4 games would have the option to choose between R1/L1 and R2/L2. Triggers are usually preferred but there's still a lot of PS3 games who are very used to R1/L1.

aro52

The fact that just about ALL the shooter devs seem to be making the switch, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that it is worth the adjustment... otherwise, this could be my next-gen growing pain.

Just give people the option to use whichever they prefer. It's not difficult.

This. It infuriates me every time they don't do this. I have the trigger extenders for my DS3 and it makes L2 and R2 so much better, and yet I have games like Tomb Raider where they don't let me change the button mapping.

Hmm. Maybe someone should tell Sony to make a new controller with new triggers. Maybe even call it a DS4.

Probably too crazy though

You didn't get my point. Pulling a gun trigger doesn't feel at all like pulling an analog trigger on a controller. So why not use the superior digital button instead.

Edit: And yes. Button mapping on OS level would be the perfect solution here. But that would make too much sense I guess.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Seeing people mentioning how much faster they are with R1/L1, I'm wondering if they won't allow the option for R1/L1 because those people would have an unfair advantage in multiplayer.

poisonelf

It still isn't standard to let people choose functions for buttons in console gaming?

This is one of the most, utterly, incomprensible choices regarding console games.

Are they afraid it will be seen as too complicated and 'modding-like'? It's not like a prompt will force you to map controller buttons, it can just be an extra option for anyone who cares to change functions.

Also, for the very few shooters I do play on consoles, I prefer the typical playstation configuration, if R2/L2 become the new standard, I really do hope they'll allow us to choose how we prefer to play.

Top Bottom