• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the US just give up fighting covid?

jimmyd

On a Federal level? So just ignore the Constitution? And how exactly did Trump trivialize the situation?
How? Are you joking?
Google "Trump covid response"

Or here: https://coronavirus.house.gov/news/...is-shows-pattern-political-interference-trump
The analysis shows that President Trump, Vice President Pence, White House officials, and political appointees at the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and other agencies have:

· Pressured health experts to adopt the Administration’s talking points, even when they conflict with the science;

· Criticized, sidelined, and fired experts who insisted on sharing accurate scientific information with the public;

· Altered, delayed, and suppressed guidance and scientific reports on testing, protecting children, reopening schools, voting safely, and other topics;

· Authorized questionable virus treatments over the objections of scientists;

· Resisted efforts to ensure the safe development of a vaccine; and

· Diverted $265 million from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Food and Drug Administration for an ad campaign to “defeat despair and inspire hope” weeks before Election Day.

Which is the problem. Healthy people who don't give a shit about others. I wonder how many people you infected that infected others and how many will die?

I'd advise high risk people to stay inside. Outside of the elderly, most high risk people put themselves in that position. Be it from eating yourself diabetic or just obesity in general. We can't build society around the sick and infirmed. Moreso when it's self inflicted.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Maybe that is why China is doing much better at managing Covid because their system of gov and controlled society are equipped for managing pandemics. Well according to their stats amyways that they are doing better lol

Certainly. Cultures with fewer individual freedoms deal better with lockdown protocols. Asia has been dealing with this sort of problem first hand for a lot longer than Europe or the Americas too, at least in modern times. They're already familiar with masking for the general public.

Last edited:

Imperius

Banned
Which is the problem. Healthy people who don't give a shit about others. I wonder how many people you infected that infected others and how many will die?
I haven't been to any nursing homes recently, so probably none.

Funny how no one applies that sort of logic they try to do with COVID ("you killed grandma!!!") to a disease like HIV which actually destroys your life regardless of whether or not it kills you. Do you believe that the gay community is full of mass murderers that have committed biological terrorism against the Unites States since the 80s?

cryptoadam

Banned
I haven't been to any nursing homes recently, so probably none.

Funny how no one applies that sort of logic they try to do with COVID ("you killed grandma!!!") to a disease like HIV which actually destroys your life regardless of whether or not it kills you. Do you believe that the gay community is full of mass murderers that have committed biological terrorism against the Unites States since the 80s?

And the left are fighting to decriminalize knowingly giving AIDS to people.

Imagine how many lives the world could have saved if we had castrated all DA GAYS in the 80's and imprisoned them all.

I'm tired of the "hospitals are overloaded lies.
Hospitals have never once broken capacity. There's no proof of it.
Every pop-up hospital has sat empty.

God bless you all. I'm glad people are getting back to their lives.
The cure can't be worse than the virus.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Prolonged selective lockdowns that didn’t make much sense. Small business had to close while we filtered piles of cash to Amazon, Walmart and Home Depot. Big box stores then became more crowded since everything else was closed. Lock downs don’t help much when people are shoulder to shoulder packed into Home Depot since that store is “essential”.

Little help for those shut down due to Congress playing politics. Mixed messaging on everything. No timelines. No real plans.

George Floyd riots. They told us not to gather and shut businesses down then allowed this garbage to go on for months. As cryptoadam cryptoadam mentioned, I think this was the tipping point for a lot of people. At least around me people were paying attention and following along with the rules until the riots started.

Media playing politics and taking sides with everything rather then helping get out factual information. Media has lost a lot of trust over the last few years.

Just a shit show all around and people stopped listening.

Joe T.

They have low everything. Even resouces too. My point was that US being the most developed shouldn't have been the worst hit.

The US being the most developed nation is exactly why it was the worst hit. Its strength was used against it.

The US is #1 in testing and it's not even close. With this poor testing standard currently in place more tests = more cases. I hesitate to bring up Trump because the blinders immediately go up and polarization kicks in, but he was right and you can see it throughout the world. China's numbers are in question, of course, but you would think a country the size of India would be able to at least match the US. It's currently somewhere around 250M tests total for the US vs India's 172M.

Had the rest of the world been on par with the US on testing and reported their cases as liberally then they'd all have many more cases... without any change whatsoever in their hospitalizations/deaths. Read that line again because that's the most important takeaway here. The tests have been used to ramp up fear and legitimize these draconian measures we know aren't working (at least from a health perspective).

The creator of the PCR test himself highlighted how it can be improperly used/interpreted. The German virologist that hoisted the 45 Ct standard onto the world last January (which was never really peer reviewed) also trashed the irresponsible manner in which they were used during the MERS outbreak. Fauci has slammed PCR tests above 35 Ct as being effectively useless in detecting infectious cases.

How much more evidence would a person need to see that these tests are currently being misused to detect infections? One of the biggest lies is the one that's repeated every single day: reporting all positive test results as infectious cases.

OnionSnake

Banned
This virus is real and not a propaganda or fake news

Real people died because of it

Wake the f up samurai

Told you some Trump voters are batshit crazy and will bring politics into this and youre one of the prime examples what im talking about
Exactly, after seeing that dudes posts it's not even worth engaging imo some people are lost in the sauce and are trying to die on this hill of it not being a real virus or as bad of a virus. Who knows why they do this, extreme boredom? Once you've lost friends and family to the pandemic it becomes pretty clear what's going on.

Last edited:
They have low everything. Even resouces too. My point was that US being the most developed shouldn't have been the worst hit.
The US isn't the worst hit. It's currently number 14 on death rate, behind several countries in Europe(including prominant ones like Spain, Italy, and the UK), and a couple of South American countries. Even if you look at case rate they are only #7.

People who look down on the US for "terrible response" are usually looking at "counting stats", which are dumb to use. 2 deaths in 1 million people are not "worse" than 1 in 1000. The only reason that the US is "winning" in counting stats is because India doesn't test anywhere near as much, and China is using a completely different set of criteria for what consistutes a COVID case and death. Every other country doesn't have enough people to "compete".

Last edited:

crozier

It’s over. There’s no stopping it at this point. Rather than do further damage to the economy, tell everyone to wear a mask, keep the vulnerable indoors, and start betting on herd immunity.

Celcius

°Temp. member
It feels like a high death toll is inevitable. The pandemic sucks because

1. The numbers keep going up (and the rate of deaths/hospitalizations as well)
2. it's been going on for so long (almost a year now)
3. now there are at least 3 strains and one is 70% more infectious as the original
4. Once you recover, how long does immunity last? Does that make you immune against the other strains? How long does vaccine immunity last? Will it be an annual thing? Is it effective against all strains?
5. I've had relatives and family members get covid and even die from it, and hearing about the bad cases is pretty scary
6. The being tired of staying stuck inside all day working from home and not going to the office, not being able to go on long vacations out of town, not being able to go to the movies, church, the mall, etc...
7. People keep partying no matter how bad it gets
8. The current president acts like it's no big deal, despite getting it himself

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

Hardly is a lockdown, outside of restaurants doing take out only, and limited people in stores, shit is pretty much open. They really only shut things down for like a week or 2. Unless your in California, I heard they give out tickets if you don’t have a mask.

diffusionx

Gold Member
This virus is real and not a propaganda or fake news

Real people died because of it

Wake the f up samurai

Told you some Trump voters are batshit crazy and will bring politics into this and youre one of the prime examples what im talking about

Real people die from lots of stuff that we don't intentionally shut down society for.

This reaction to a virus is and always be utter madness. It is literally like banning all cars because people die in auto accidents.

diffusionx

Gold Member
How do you know you haven't done that with any manner of illnesses you have caught in your life, Mr. Virtue Signal?

Infectious diseases are part of society. They are never going away. They do kill people sometimes, unfortunately, but again, that is part of the deal of being a living creature.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

To be honest the lockdowns in CA are not really much other than not being able to eat out and go to bars: I was in a shopping mall masked up and with a face shield the other day and it was decently populated for a pandemic. It’s affecting tourism and dining and entertainment of any kind but retail is going strong.

I think it’s pretty evident the virus is mostly affecting people who can’t wfh or are taking unnecessary risks at parties and shit.

Last edited:

deafmedal

Thanks for the link. I'm still not seeing how Trump trivialized the situation, perhaps meddling wrt the response is valid. I may be mistaken but I seem to remember very frequent press conferences last year during the first wave, why anyone would be mad at the President for pushing a positive spin on getting through this I may never understand... it's kind of their job, no? I also seem to recall Fauci constantly telling his side of the story (so to speak), giving conflicting information at different times right along with the WHO and CDC. Almost like no one knew what the fuck to do.

I'm not really surprised that the administration picked a course and attempted to push it forward, I've read/watched enough conflicting scientific information to question anyone's response to the virus. At the end of the day there was no realistic approach to take and regardless of who was in office their approach would have been 'wrong'.

Thanks for the link. I'm still not seeing how Trump trivialized the situation, perhaps meddling wrt the response is valid. I may be mistaken but I seem to remember very frequent press conferences last year during the first wave, why anyone would be mad at the President for pushing a positive spin on getting through this I may never understand... it's kind of their job, no? I also seem to recall Fauci constantly telling his side of the story (so to speak), giving conflicting information at different times right along with the WHO and CDC. Almost like no one knew what the fuck to do.

I'm not really surprised that the administration picked a course and attempted to push it forward, I've read/watched enough conflicting scientific information to question anyone's response to the virus. At the end of the day there was no realistic approach to take and regardless of who was in office their approach would have been 'wrong'.

Back in February Democrats like Pelosi accused Trump of exaggerating COVID to distract from his impeachment proceedings, lol

ManaByte

Gold Member
To be honest the lockdowns in CA are not really much other than not being able to eat out and go to bars: I was in a shopping mall masked up and with a face shield the other day and it was decently populated for a pandemic. It’s affecting tourism and dining and entertainment of any kind but retail is going strong.

I think it’s pretty evident the virus is mostly affecting people who can’t wfh or are taking unnecessary risks at parties and shit.

I have family members who didn't take any unnecessary risks and still got it.

Real people die from lots of stuff that we don't intentionally shut down society for. It is literally like banning all cars because people die in auto accidents.

Why do people even use this argument? Car accidents aren't contagious, unless you're going to argue pileups in a snowstorm or some shit.

Why do people even use this argument? Car accidents aren't contagious, unless you're going to argue pileups in a snowstorm or some shit.

So, we lock people down so they don't pass covid to each other... in other words covid doesn't spread without two people meeting in some way, just like no one dies in a car accident without cars colliding.

So, we lock people down so they don't pass covid to each other... in other words covid doesn't spread without two people meeting in some way, just like no one dies in a car accident without cars colliding.

That's fair but I still think it's a stretch of a comparison. I just want to go play more RDR2 so I'm not going to argue right now

raduque

I personally know about 30 people, including my severely "at-risk" uncle, who have caught it. ALL of them got over it and went back to work in a couple weeks.

Trying to suppress a virus that puts (thousands) of people in hospital and kills (thousands) some of the most vulnerable population is nothing to do with fear, it's to do with not being a completely psychotic arsehole.

The needs (homes, jobs, food) of the many (300+ million) outweigh the needs of the few (340 thousand).

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
The thing is, it's the first epidemic/pandemic/whatever EVER where we quarantine the healthy, it's unprecedented and the WHO and CDC never advised such a thing prior to this year.

The healthy die from it too. My sister in law just lost her healthy 60 year old aunt to covid. Without that shit wuhan flu she would still be alive.

sol_bad

You're one of the most disingenuous posters on this board. You were shown this evidence en masse in the OT and ran with your tail between your legs, incapable of engaging in any sort of discussion.

"These account for things like trauma, car accidents, gun shot wounds and even drug overdoses."

Go ahead, explain how I'm wrong here since you couldn't there. What she is saying is exactly what I am saying, all deaths count as covid deaths should they test positive in the last 60 days. Do you think she lying? Do you think the UK government is lying? The Canadian government? I want to hear it.

WOW
7 out of the 2500 were wrongly classified as a Covid death. Definitely proof that most deaths aren't Covid related.

Oh like that. Isn't the whole problem of this virus you find out too late you have it for that to work?

With how much they test not really. Maybe in the beginning. Kids at school get tested weekly despite the fact that all evidence points to them not spreading it, if anything we potentially test for it too aggressively.

WOW
7 out of the 2500 were wrongly classified as a Covid death. Definitely proof that most deaths aren't Covid related.

This is a disingenuous reply, if they're straight up admitting any COVID diagnosed person dying within 60 days of the diagnosis is classified as a COVID death regardless of actual cause this should concern anyone using official death tolls to measure COVID's impact.

Cyberpunkd

From the look of things - either due to notion of liberty, freedom, or something else - the US has decided from the beginning to make a simple calculation: what is more important? Maintaining the economic growth a much as possible and with it the quality of life of the population at large or sacrifice one group of individuals for the benefit of others.

Obviously people, depending on their situation will have very different responses. Here in France I read an interesting mention that this is the first time you are asking the adults and the young people to sacrifice themselves for the old, people that vast majority of cases do not work (so they are not concerned with the loss of their jobs), are well-off compared to the average citizen (since they predominantly own their housing, which is a source of close to 50% of wealth for the French), and also who are going to die soon anyway - the problem with being old is even if Grandpa/Grandma are super healthy (and most of the time that's not the case due to lack of healthy life choices over the past 30-40 years) they can still die the next week due to a flu - that's just how it works when you are 80-years old.
Another example mentioned a few months ago by the Economist was equally older population in the UK that voted overwhelmingly for Brexit - once again they are much better off than the average citizen (property + retirement is adjusted at a minimum by 2.5% per year), and they will not be the once suffering the consequences of UK being outside the EU and economic loss that it entails.

So we did make the choice - GDP fell by 10%, unemployment exploded and due to government handling the situation first lock-down didn't help, second one didn't help, now the vaccination campaign is going so slowly (we are vaccinating 50 - FIFTY - people per day in the whole country) third wave and subsequent restrictions are very probable.

As terrible as is sounds - sometimes you need to know when to cut your losses. Now the whole generation is probably fucked up for at least 3-5 years, maybe more depending on the sector. The image for 2020 will be forever for me a picture of a restaurant's owner at the corner sitting in his empty restaurant every night looking at the news. I cannot imagine what he must be going through right now.

Last edited:

sol_bad

This is a disingenuous reply, if they're straight up admitting any COVID diagnosed person dying within 60 days of the diagnosis is classified as a COVID death regardless of actual cause this should concern anyone using official death tolls to measure COVID's impact.

With the number of deaths in America and how stressed and busy the health care system is in America, I don't think it should be unexpected that mistakes will be made. As long as those mistakes get corrected.
And I'm sure that there are many "Covid" marked deaths with other underlying medical issues. But again, if the health care system wasn't stressed and the Covid strain wasn't running around having fun, these deaths probably wouldn't have occurred. I'm personally fine if these types of deaths are marked as caused by Covid. But that's just me.

With the number of deaths in America and how stressed and busy the health care system is in America, I don't think it should be unexpected that mistakes will be made. As long as those mistakes get corrected.
And I'm sure that there are many "Covid" marked deaths with other underlying medical issues. But again, if the health care system wasn't stressed and the Covid strain wasn't running around having fun, these deaths probably wouldn't have occurred. I'm personally fine if these types of deaths are marked as caused by Covid. But that's just me.

What do you mean by mistakes? This is their policy on purpose.

Top Bottom