• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you become a Final Fantasy fan pre or post FF7?

The Dude

Curious how many are pre FF7 and how you feel the series has went over the years. I tend to struggle a bit as I had the original on NES the day it released and from that moment thru FF4 and 6 on snes I was absolutely hooked, owned, in love. What drove me nuts is I remember in school talking about final fantasy and nobody cared, but then a few years later 7 released and it was "OMG have you played Final fantasy?!?" it's like wow really lol

But I personally struggled with 7, played it at launch but came to appreciate it more later down the road. But overall I feel the series has dropped off big time. I have not been a fan of 13 even tho it's not a horrible game it's definitely not what I love about the series.. I miss characters like Cecil, Kain etc... I wish they'd do the next in a FF 4 style just to bring back a little medieval premise, feels like it's been awhile in the main series for that style.

When did you guys become FF fans, what era?

FFVII was the first FF to get a PAL localisation, so I didn't really have much of a choice there. Phantasy Star IV was my first JRPG though.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Post. I had an NES and FF1 but I was way too young. Didn't play another FF until 7.

random25

I started off with FFIII on Famicom. It was a bit of a struggle because it was Japanese lol. But 4 was where I really became a big fan of the series.

I'm not as big fan of FF anymore after the core team left Square, but I still buy the games and I still look forward to their next installments.

Falcs

Banned
The buzz surrounding FF7 back when it was new is what got me to try it out. I only played a demo of it and I enjoyed it. So I went to rent the game at Blockbuster and they didn't have it. But they had FF8.
I rented that instead and it was probably my favourite game at the time. Loved it.

I still haven't played 7.

Mudron

Been on board with Final Fantasy since the first game on the NES.

I still remember poring over the Nintendo Power strategy guide for the game while on a tour of Falling Water.

FF7 was the first game I ever got to control, and I didn't even know what it was.
It's basically impossible for me to be a fan pre that.

The Dude

Been on board with Final Fantasy since the first game on the NES.

I still remember poring over the Nintendo Power strategy guide for the game while on a tour of Falling Water.

Falling water here in PA? And yea I miss NP, I'll never forget the feeling of getting a new one every month

.JayZii

Banned
Just before, when I was little and saw my cousin play Final Fantasy VI on the SNES, and I was hooked from the intro. I didn't play one myself until VII, though.

Before. Final Fantasy IV is up there as one of my favorite games ever. Seven was the last main series entry that I loved (not counting XIV). Played through it a while back when it first came out on Steam and didn't think it was quite as good these days, but I still really love it. Just has some slow moments where you want to get on with the main plot.

I realized a while back I'm actually not a big fan of the series as a whole. If I were to make a top 10 favorite games ever list, Four, Seven, and Tactics would probably all be on that list. Don't really give a fuck about the rest of the series, though (again, outside of XIV). Funny that they managed three games that I think are near perfection, and then a ton of shit I just don't care about.

Excited for Twelve HD. Only game in the series I haven't touched. I've heard really mixed things about it, so we'll see.

grimmiq

Post.

Had Sega consoles growing up instead of Nintendo, went to my cousin's place for Xmas, he had Resident Evil and FF7, we played RE all day. I couldn't sleep that night so put FF7 in and played til like 4am. Got my own Playstation but couldn't find a copy of FF7 for months (small town), new video store opened up and they had a copy, rented that every week for a couple of months until I found a copy in the local appliance store.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Post. I didn't have a console when I was a kid, and the PC version of 7 was the first FF I played.

Hard for me to say. I remember really liking VI (IV at the time) upon release, but I think VII was the first one I was old enough to really appreciate.

Final Fantasy 4 was my very first RPG period, so that's when I became a fan.

Yea I played it before I played Chrono Trigger. Played 1,2,5 after 4 and then X. finally played VII after all that. all this happened around 2011 or so though for me.

Crayon

I played dragon warrior and final fantasy but I was probably only 8 or 9 at the time and I know I wasn't fully grasping the concept of the game ie: the characters where made of points, etc.

By the time ff2/4 was around I was able to enjoy it and I played that a lot. I believed 3/6 was the best videogame made at the time it was current. I still feel like it's one of the best games made, and only equaled by number 12 in the ff series.

jjonez18

Ffx was my first, and my favourite of the series. So post I guess

Same here. FFX was an amazing experience. By far my favorite. I've since went back and played, FFX-2, FF IV, FFVII, and FFXIII.
Plan on playing the rest if they come to PS4 or I find a Vita for cheap.

Post FF7. Didn't play many RPGs until the PS2 era. Games were 9/10 just gifts I received so I'd usually get more mainstream stuff like Mario ect. (only had Nintendo consoles till the PS2)

My first Final Fantasy was X and loved it. It was my second turn-based RPG (first was Super Mario RPG) and was a great introduction. From there I played the previous games as well as the new ones.

At this point I'm down with whatever Square wants to make with Final Fantasy (except mobile titles since I don't have a phone good enough to run them ._.) Hell, I'm playing through World of FF and it's a great time. Obviously I'm hyped for FFXV too.

Corpekata

Banned
Post, had a Genesis as a kid and the n64/Psx era was when I first had more control over what I would play beyond "Please buy this!" little brat talk. However I got an N64 first and by the time I got the PSX FF8 was out and so started there and went back.

The Dude

Better question, who among you weren't even alive when FF7 came out? Come on, fess up.

All I know is when I think about that aspect it's like holy balls I'm old lol because yea, I remember when it was first out and to think so many weren't even alive yet is just damn,makes me feel old.

1upsuper

My first exposure to the series was the very first game, followed by the rest of the pre-VII games. Then I got to VII and I honestly couldn't get into it at all. I've tried several times over the years and I always stop partway through. Granted, I played it for the first time several years after its launch, but I felt it really did away with a lot of what I really liked about Final Fantasy, and I haven't loved a mainline title since VI.

Edit: I guess I didn't directly answer the question. I got into Final Fantasy after the release of VII (I was a Dragon Quest kid growing up) but I didn't play VII until I had played through most of the first six titles.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I hadn't played a Final Fantasy game before, but I bought Final Fantasy 7 before I bought a Playstation. I just had a copy of the game sitting around for a month. I remember Tekken 3 coming out about the same time I got the Playstation, so I also got that. It was a super dry spell for the N64, so it was pretty awesome getting a Playstation, especially with the Greatest Hits line at the time. It's still my favorite system of all time.

Post but it kind would have been hard for me to be a Final Fantasy fan pre seven considering I was only 3 when FF7 came out. I didn't actually get into Final Fantasy till I was like 14 I think.

TL21xx

Banned
Post-VII, but my first exposure to the proper series was through the GBA re-release of IV and my favorite is VI. That being said, if it weren't for Kingdom Hearts and the fervor for FF VII, I probably would never have tried the series and possibly even the subgenre. Crazy, seeing as it's the one that really formed my gaming tastes.

The Dude

I'll also say this as an old school fan I found X to be one of the last great games in the series. I felt it hit the spot for the series, except no overworld hurt alot but the game itself I felt was solid. The music in X was just stellar

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Been playing since the first FF. But never finished it thanks to the battery dying prematurely taking my save near the final dungeon with it...

First DQ for whatever reason the battery didnt die for a hell of a long time. No idea why the FF one died. Must have just been bad luck.

Teknoman

Final Fantasy 4 was my very first RPG period, so that's when I became a fan.

My story exactly. Kicked off my fandom of RPG soundtracks too. Personally I still feel FFIX is where the series peaked as far as offline standard entries go.

Lothar

Banned
Became a fan with Final Fantasy 4. It's been up and down since then. Up with FF6 and FF7, down with FF8 and FF9, up with FFX and FFX-2, down with FFXII and FFXIII.

Started with FF1 on NES but didn't like it at the time compared to Dragon Quest.

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest was the first Final Fantasy I played. And I was just a kid and didn't even know what Final Fantasy was. I didn't play another Final Fantasy game until FFX came out and that's when I got hooked on the series. I've since played all the main entries in the series except for XI and I've also played many of the spin-offs. As far as spin-offs go, Tactics and the original Crystal Chronicles are massively underappreciated.

Zolbrod

I played Mystic Quest first, which I sort of liked, then I played FF6, which was a lot better, but I wasn't super into turn-based combat at that time.

Then Chrono Trigger came along and changed my life forever, and that's when I started to appreciate FF6 a whole lot more too.

So I guess the correct answer is: I became an FF fan post Chrono Trigger.

The original wasn't my first RPG, but I did start there with the series back when it came out. Stayed fairly loyal to it, calling FF4 one of the best games I've ever played to this day. I found FF7 to be only a bit above average (and mostly due to content and not much else), but it really took a downturn with FF8, which I consider one of the worst big budget games ever made.

The series devolved into further anime horseshit as far as I was concerned, until FF12 surprised me. But they went back to more tired Nomura designs and boring anime stories that I couldn't be assed to care about.

Though I did wring some enjoyment out of FF9, and FF10's battle system elevated an otherwise awful game out of the cesspool, the series died at FF7, brilliantly supernovaed at FF12, and is currently dead and buried. A relic of a happier time.

A-V-B

Post, I guess. FF7 was my first. Then FF6 when I got my hands on it later. This post FF7 period was around the time I was super thirsty for anything RPG. I even made an OHRRPGCE game starring a grey alien in outer space.

I traded Diddy Kong Racing for a complete in box Final Fantasy 3 for SNES on the school yard. Still have it. Rebought DKR a few years ago for $20 or something.

I think I got the better deal out of that.

Top Bottom