• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you become a Final Fantasy fan pre or post FF7?

post,

but in my defense FF7 was the second videogame i ever played,

i was like 5 i think.

honestly i think it set me on the path to who i am today.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Dragon Warrior was the first RPG I ever played, and I enjoyed it (once my 7 year old self finally figured out how to play, doing things like selecting 'stairs' from a menu to descend stairs was an alien concept for me at that point). Then, Nintendo Power (my bible back in the day) started previewing the hell out of Final Fantasy. I remember reading the previews and thinking "whoa, looks like Dragon Warrior, but with much better graphics and more characters!". The story looked really captivating and I was impressed with the variety of settings you traveled to - a volcano, underwater shrines, ruined villages, a floating castle in space. The sense of adventure and expansiveness was incredible, and the way NP presented it (almost in a 'storybook' format) got me even more-so hyped. Got it for my birthday after my uncle bought me "Kings Knight" (which I didn't want... but was ironically by the same company!), I remember it being really hard to find but it eventually turned up at Consumers (a mail-order catalog store like Service Merchandise) in Commack, NY. Was really impressed with how loaded with goodies the box was - maps of dungeons, monster charts, a thick hint book.

Played the HELL out of the game that summer and beat it before starting 4th grade (and making a lifelong friend on the playground when meeting someone who was also a fan). Introduced many people to the game by having them grind for me ;) (some of them still remain gamers/FF fans).

So no, FF1 was my first game in the series. Later, FF4 came out and blew my mind, as did 6. Prior to playing 7, fan translations of 2, 3 and 5 were released so I got to beat all of them as well.

Dragon Warrior was the first RPG I ever played, and I enjoyed it (once my 7 year old self finally figured out how to play, doing things like selecting 'stairs' from a menu to descend stairs was an alien concept for me at that point). Then, Nintendo Power (my bible back in the day) started previewing the hell out of Final Fantasy. I remember reading the previews and thinking "whoa, looks like Dragon Warrior, but with much better graphics and more characters!". The story looked really captivating and I was impressed with the variety of settings you traveled to - a volcano, underwater shrines, ruined villages, a floating castle in space. The sense of adventure and expansiveness was incredible, and the way NP presented it (almost in a 'storybook' format) got me even more-so hyped. Got it for my birthday after my uncle bought me "Kings Knight" (which I didn't want... but was ironically by the same company!), I remember it being really hard to find but it eventually turned up at Consumers (a mail-order catalog store like Service Merchandise) in Commack, NY. Was really impressed with how loaded with goodies the box was - maps of dungeons, monster charts, a thick hint book.

Played the HELL out of the game that summer and beat it before starting 4th grade (and making a lifelong friend on the playground when meeting someone who was also a fan). Introduced many people to the game by having them grind for me ;) (some of them still remain gamers/FF fans).

So no, FF1 was my first game in the series. Later, FF4 came out and blew my mind, as did 6. Prior to playing 7, fan translations of 2, 3 and 5 were released so I got to beat all of them as well.

Ha, this reads like my autobiography. FF1 was my first, though I played Dragon Warrior prior. Actually got Dragon Warrior along with a subscription to Nintendo Power.

I always wanted to play FF1 but it was never for rent anywhere and I couldn't buy it. I rented Dragon Warrior once, but barely understood it and didn't get far before having to return it. I was like 7 or 8, and I could only reckon Zelda at that point.

I actually got Mystic Quest because I bought Street Fighter II for $75 when it came out, got bored of it in a couple days and asked if I could return it. Used that same money to get Castlevania IV, Ys III and Mystic Quest at a local game store. The other two were used and cheap, Mystic Quest was only $29.99 new, I'd seen 1 or 2 magazine ads for it... sure, why not?

Vinc

Played 7. Thought it was great.
Played 8. Thought it was great.
Played 9. Thought it was great.
Played 10. Thought it was good.
Played 12. Thought it was a huge disappointment. Squandered potential.
Played 13. Thought it was thoroughly mediocre. No potential.
Played 4. Thought it was okay-ish.
Played 6. Thought it was okay-ish.

Edit:

Played 15. Thought it was great.

(Edit: Delivered)

Thought this was worth the bump.

Sephzilla

I technically played Final Fantasy games before FF7 (I played FF4 and Mystic Quest first). So I was familiar with the franchise a little and liked both of those games. FF7 more or less brought me back into the franchise.

Final Fantasy 2 on the SNES was my first Final Fantasy. That's the one that started it all for me. I've purchased and completed almost everything singel FF game since then. Square is who got me into RPG's and I only hope and wish nothing but the best for them. I really hope on 11/29 we're all amazed with how well they did FF15.

artsi

Edit:

MNd0Ue2.gif

Rookhelm

The first one I played was 6 (3 on SNES). I played a bunch of it at a friend's house, who had an SNES and I didn't.

but it was 7 that really solidified it for me. I loved loved loved that game.

I'm pretty much "that guy" for which FF7 is the favorite.

This is scarily similar to my own thoughts on each installment. The only difference is I haven't played 4 and I'd change 10 from good to great. Otherwise, those are my exact same feelings... scary!

Xilo

Final Fantasy 1 for the NES was one of the first games I ever played. I was very young (5 or 6 maybe) when it released. Thanks to games like Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior, I pushed myself to learn how to read very quickly.

batbeg

Before VII my experience with rpgs was limited to playing Secret of Mana at a friend's house. I was 9 when I got VII though and it thoroughly entranced me. I immediately got into fanfiction and music thanks to it. It's not my favorite (IX) but it was critical in my development, and I still like it way more than the SNES entries.

Samimista

Edit:

I balee dat.

venom473

I caught up on a lot of FF games on Steam this year, with FF7 being the first one I finished. I had already played 8 and 10 on PS2 over a decade ago, but never got very far.

I loved 7, 9 and 10.
8 was pretty good, but I hated the combat.
4 was okay.

Vic_Viper

Was a fan of Final Fantasy since I played the fist couple on SNES but never finished one until X. Always wanted to go back and finish VII and VIII but always had a hard time with the general look of the games. Actually just started playing VII on PS4 yesterday on a whim.

Was always a more action oriented RPG player. Games like Crisis Core and Kingdom Hearts were way more my style. Going back to VII now after Crisis Core is actually really appealing since I know some of the backstory and want to find out more.

The VII remake imo is exactly what I've always wanted and cannot wait to see how it turns out.

RetroMG

Pre. I played FF1 and FF4 when they first came out for their respective systems. I liked FF1 but it was too hard. FF4 was better, but I thought it was a little over-dramatic.

I fell in love with Final Fantasy, and RPGs in general, with Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger.

sappyday

Edit:

oh shit

Edit:

FF X is just good? FF X is the best game ever.

Dr Thor

Neo Member
I'm a pre-FF7 fan. FFIV was my first and I was mildly obsessed with it, the music still brings back huge nostalgic grins from me now. FF7 was my best friend's obsession in middle school -- I liked it a lot, and still do, but thought the visuals were underwhelming at the time and preferred the 2D sprites.

FFIX and X were both great for me, but then XII happened and FF turned away from what I enjoyed. I thought XII was a mess, with terribly unengaging combat, a story that bored me to tears, and music that, for the first time in any FF, wasn't to my taste -- atmospheric and cinematic rather than driving and melodic.

Then FFXIII happened, and I dumped it after 5 hours of torturous corridor-running and awful storytelling. I barely remember anything about that game and I'm glad for it.

Now FFXV is almost here and I'm turned off by nearly everything about it. The character designs are boring to me, the world design is lacking style and originality, but worst of all the combat looks completely uninspiring. I diligently watch the combo videos people show off to convince me it's good, and all I can see is endless air-combos against non-reactive enemies. I actually really enjoy a good action-RPG but the design decisions in FFXV -- most particularly the baffling choice to make enemies not have tells on their attacks, which makes them feel even less interactive -- turn me off completely. I'm planning to give it a miss and catch up on the Souls entries I've missed instead.

Honestly I'm really happy that other people are looking forward to XV, it's just made me sad in a way since now it's undeniable that FF is no longer for me. WoFF is charming and fun, though, so I'm at least hopeful that some future FF spinoffs will have something for me.

butman

Edit:

I loved VI and VIII. But this make me have mix feelings about XV.

ShowDog

I'm a fan of FF since the release of 4 on the snes.

Since then I've loved 6 and 7, 8 was alright, 9 was great but got tedious towards the end strictly due to the battle system, and I loved 10 despite Tidus and the voice work.

15 years since X and the series is dead to me. Who would've expected this after such a strong early showing on the PS2? It's all due to that shitty movie.

Edit: I also picked up the X HD Remake and the first few hours haven't aged well because of the heavy narrative, bad VO work and stilted animation. But I know the great music and locales are still buried in there further along in the game.

Pejo

I've been a fan since trying to figure out what the heck I was doing in FF1 on the NES. I feel the series peaked at 6, stayed at that peak for 7, then went down from there. My impressions:

1 - Hated it at first, until I got addicted to leveling up. Not many games I had played up to this point had a leveling system, and I really loved the strategy of turn based battles. Loved the classes changing halfway through, I felt like a little badass.

2 - Didn't play until years later. Interesting systems with leveling, don't hate it. Firion is a cool dude.

3 - Didn't play this until the DS remake, loved it.

4 - My favorite final fantasy. Great little story (especially for its time), great characters, amazing music. Lots of nostalgia here.

5 - Didn't play this until years later on an emulator. It's ok, but I prefer 3-Remake's take on the Job system stuff way better.

6 - Pinnacle of the series, blew me away as a kid as Final Fantasy III (in the US). So much content, the story, the side stories, characters, optional stuff, graphics.

7 - As good of a follow-up to 6 as you could get. More of the same stuff I loved in VI, but now in 3D graphics with those fucking awesome FMV's and pre-rendered backgrounds.

8 - I honestly remember so little about this game. I beat it a few weeks after it came out, but I barely remember all the character's names. Didn't love the move to real proportions and more serious attitude.

9 - A great return to form. Fantastic game bogged down by technical limitations like the battle system being just so, so slow.

10 - World map gone, exploration gone. Didn't like the main characters. Didn't like that the game forces you to swap out the team to kill certain enemies. Actually later liked the same system, but refined in X-2. Didn't like what they did with summons.

11 - Was vehemently against this on principal, was going to hard skip it due to being online only. My college roommate talked me into trying it with him, fell in love hard for about 10 years. Probably my best and most memorable gaming experience.

12 - Was 50/50 on the idea. It was basically offline FF11 to me, but I gave it a real shot and liked it for what it was. Different direction, but not bad.

13 - Hated it. Trash. Wish I could erase the time I wasted playing it.

14 - World of Finalfantasycraft. Was great until you hit endgame, then it's that stupid gear treadmill until the next patch and repeat. Only played this for ~6 months.

15 - Guess we'll see. I'm mostly blind on this, have been doing my best to stay spoiler free.

FF7 was first JRPG I played. Loved it, same with 8. Played 9 and enjoyed it a lot but didn't love it as much as 7 or 8 (characters not emo and sexy enough). Played a few more JRPGs on PS1 like Xenogears and Chrono Cross and loved them.

Skip forward to PS2, I get FFX, play it a few hours and called it quits. Don't think I played or been interested in a JRPG since ¯_(ツ)_/ ¯

draetenth

Post FF 7, but I actually collected every game the series to that point (though I can't remember exactly, but I think it was up to FF 9 at that point) and played them in order beginning with FF 1.

Pre FF7 here. I like the game but i feel that it doesn't deserve all the attention it gets (not a hater lol)

My favorite is 6... please SE, make a remake (the mobile one doesn't count)

Pre-7.My first Final Fantasy was Final Fantasy 1 lol. I'm old. I was actually a huge Final Fantasy fan before 7 came out. Still one of my favorite franchises.

List Warz Incoming:

In order favorite FFs:

Feel free to discuss my awful taste in video games.

Sillverrr

Definitely became a fan after FFVII.

The first FF game I bought was actually FFVI for SNES (or III as it was called then), but my tiny little mind couldn't cope with the turn-based combat after being weaned on a diet of Zelda and Secret of Mana. I've tried to go back and play it since, but the ending's already been spoiled for me.

Then came FFVII for PlayStation. I was a little older, wiser (okay, so the flashy cinematics and pre-rendered backdrops lured me in), and the rest is history.

Was not a fan of VIII. Tried to play it at the time but the main character was a whiny emo brat in my limited experience.

Missed IX as I'd already moved on to PS2 by the time they bothered to release it in the west.

Have since enjoyed FFX immensely, and also XII.

Skipped XI as was not going to play a hardcore MMORPG.

Edit: forgot to mention the XIII series. I own the first two parts, but have yet to go back to play XIII after being disgusted with the poor voice acting near the beginning. Simply unacceptable after experiencing top-notch dubs from companies such as Atlus. The Steam release is dual-audio; toying with trying it with the original Japanese voice acting one of these days.

CBA with XIV. Again, I'm sure it's a great MMORPG, but WoW is my fix when I'm in the mood. Plus I'm too old to bother starting another MMORPG. Ever.

Looking forward to XV, but more excited for the HD release of XII next year!

Top Bottom