• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you become a Final Fantasy fan pre or post FF7?

I guess post. My very first was FF8. And it also happens to be my favourite in the series. Tried getting into 7, but I just couldn't, unfortunately.

Reszo

Post, I watched my cousin play it and had to find it. Ended up accidently buying tactics from Value City because I thought there was only one final fantasy game. But ended up getting FF7 later down the line and loved it. Then I found out there was FF8 and I was like "I got to get the sequel lol.

I watched my friend play FFIV for a while, but my first FF was actually VI (III SNES of course back then). It was amazing and was one of my favorite games - still is actually. But my favorite FF game is FFIX!

Fou-Lu

I played Final Fantasy I before I played Final Fantasy VII, but no games in between. I have since played every mainline game. I'm a fan of every single mainline game (even XIII) and almost all of the spinoffs and sequels (especially Crystal Chronicles). It might be my favourite overall game series.

Beartruck

Pre. I loved the original Final Fantasy for NES for forever. Then my brother bought FF9 for PS1 and I went "What? There are 8 other ones!?"

Xilium

Technically Post.

I was introduced to rpgs by watching a pair of my friends play them when I was younger. I watched them play through most of the NES and SNES era rpgs, including the FF games. I dabbled in FF6 a bit at their place but the only games I played through from that generation at that time were Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, and (sort of) Earthbound.

It wasn't till the PS1 that I started buying/renting rpgs to play for myself and that included FF7. So that's the first one I would say I legitimately played. That said, my favorite FFs are the 2 ps2 era games.

In more recent years I have tried to go back and play the pre-ps1 FFs but I always end up dropping them after a few hours. There are some exceptions but for the most part, I feel gameplay in rpgs has gotten better over the years and unless I have nostalgia for it (like CT), I have no interest in playing rpgs from that era or in the style of rpgs from that era (most handheld rpgs for instance).

DigtialT

Post, I've never even played FF7. My first FF was 13, went back to 10, then started 12 but didn't finish it, finished type-0. Super hype for 15.

Hikami

Post.

Started with FFIII (DS version).
Went on to play the XIII trilogy, VI, and most recently X. (Have only actually finished XIII and X out of those.)

Didn't become a "fan" until I played X though. That's when it really clicked. Now I want to go back and play them all.

orfax

Pre.

Prior to FF7, no FF games were released in my country (Australia).

I imported the SNES FF3 US (FF6) cart when I found out there was no chance it was getting a release here. This was my first introduction to FF. And I loved it. Its still one of my most favourite games. I had to play it using a converter, and odd things would happen, such as the world map would not display during certain parts of the game.

I then imported FF2 US (FF4) and enjoyed that as well, though not as much as FF6. No converter issues this time.

Then when FF7 released, bought (locally this time), and played it. Loved it, though it had to grow on me.

Afterwards, I went back and completed all the previous FF games I hadn't played before (via emulation, 2, 3 and 5 using fan translations). When those games were eventually released on the PS I bought them even though I had no intention of replaying them, just to support Square finally releasing the games here.

Ever since I've bought all single player FF games on the day of release though I rarely play them until much later.

FF8 I loved more than 7, I dug the whole time thing. 9 was good, and then I think it has gone downhill from there. For me the worst was 12, it just didn't click for me. Possibly the abrupt ending, the story didn't really get epic.

I'm really hoping 15 is a return to form. I also plan to play it on release or very close to release.

UberTag

I became a diehard Final Fantasy fan the first time I picked up this and read through it at summer camp... and then the subsequent two-week marathon game session that followed...

history15d.jpg

Incidentally, I'd be curious to see a juxtaposition in results between the pre-FF7 fans and the post-FF7 fans in terms of how enthused about FFXV's impending release they are.

Pre. Final Fantasy for NES was my first. Hated it. I was more of a Dragon Warrior fan back then.

FF II (IV) was the first Final Fantasy game I liked. Then I played Chrono Trigger, which COMPLETELY BLEW ME AWAY. Then I played FFVI, which felt weaksauce after the amazingness that was Chrono Trigger.

Then I played FFVII and really liked it, but still not as much as CT.

After that I played the rest of the series and was disappointed more and more with every release until XIII, which was utterly abysmal.

I haven't played a FF game since. FFXV will be my first FF game since XIII. I hope it's at least decent.

Omadahl

Banned
I started with FF 4 and 6 when I was about 12. Within just a few years, I played Final Fantasy 4, 6, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire 2, Secret of Mana, Phantasy Star 4, and Shining Force 2. What a time to be alive.

TK-421

Pre.. 1, 2, and 3 (4 and 6) on NES and SNES.

7 and beyond never have interested me, and I really wish they'd return to the classic fantasy experience.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Pre. Played FF1 on NES and FF3 (6) on SNES

Became obsessed with 3(US). Then my mind exploded when I learned it was actually 6 and we'd been denied so many. Played 5 fan translation, and 4 "hard type." Played 2/3 translations too. Piano scores, orchestrated tracks, the rabbit hole was deep man.

One of the best things about post-7 success is those older games getting adapted. The DS ff3 remake was pretty magical.

Syrus

Banned
Been a fan since the gameboy games. Played FF on NES so many times and then the gods of FF bestowed 4 and 6 on me and I was hooked

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Pre FF7. But my first rpg was Phantasy Star.

I think I played 5 and/or 6 before playing 7. The one that had the walking mecha machines or whatever they were walking in the snow.

That and the one with a fight on a mountain. All might be from the same game.

I stopped playing at X. Tried 13 and was highly disappointed.

fatty

Pre.

Dragon Warrior was actually the game that interested me in the genre but FFI was even better. Final Fantasy 2 US (FFIV) though, that was the game that got me hooked.

FFVII and FFVIII were actually the low games in the series for me.

Gurnlei

VII was my first Final Fantasy (was around 8 at the time of release) only because I just started to get into RPGs. Those first few years playing FF VII, VIII, Legend Of Mana and Chrono Cross were my favorite years for gaming.

Silvawuff

Definitely a post VII fan here. It's been hard remaining a fan, though, as the series has had its ups and downs.

Nerokis

A friend introduced me to the series through IV and VI, but VII was the first one I owned, and the first one I fell in love with. In less time than it took for XII to come out following X, I would then go through VIII, IX, and X, and fell in love with those, also.

So I'm a post-FFVII fan with a touch of nostalgia for IV and VI. :p

But yeah, XII was the first one I waited a long time for, XIII was the first one that straight up disappointed me, the XIII + sequels + endless wait for Versus XIII + XIV disaster + ATB + etc. era was the height of mismanagement for the series and killed a lot of the enthusiasm I had for it, and now we're in a post-Yoshida and Tabata era that has me feeling excited again.

FDBK

Pre.

Spent a lot of time playing FF1 on the NES around the time the SNES was sold in retail stores. Then I played FFIV (localized as FF2) which sealed the deal so-to-speak. So it really was FF2 for the SNES that made me a Final Fantasy fan.

Final Fantasy VII was my entry into the series and it's one of my favorite 5 games of all time. I then played VIII, which I really liked but I think is deeply flawed. Played IX and loved it. Played X and loved it. Played X-2 and really liked it. Played Tactics and loved it. Then I went back and played I-VI, really liked the first for what it was, wasn't a fan of II & III. I loved IV, liked V quite a bit (though check my avatar), and loved VI (by a slight margin my favorite Final Fantasy game. Then I played XII and liked some things a lot but was torn for years, then I played the Zodiac version and I now love it. I really dislike the entire XIII series despite some good aspects.

So yeah, FFVII was my first Final Fantasy game, but I don't adhere to the any of the notions that it's my favorite because it's my first, or I don't appreciate the previous games, or I don't like X or XII because they are different.

a friend at the time was a big fan of final fantasy on the snes I believe it was final fantasy 3 in the U.S. it starts with the mechs in the snow. I would say FF7 failed to hook me, but FF IX did. Always been more of a secret of mana fan loved that game.

Traxtech

I think ffvii was the first one ever to come to Pal regions so it was my first.

Has such a huge place in my heart and childhood, and one of the great games I can play over and over again without getting sick of it.

Melchiah

Pretty much the same for me.
the only difference is that i find XII to be the least memorable (character and storywise).
I'll pass on XV for now, i'll probably pick it up used or at a low price later.

I skipped XII completely, as I was moving on to PS3 at the time.

To tell the truth, my memories of IX aren't that clear, as I played it only on weekends when I was getting drunk with a friend. I do remember, that the characters, story and setting never captured me as well as they did in VII, VIII, and X, and I prefer sci-fi over fantasy. The Eidolon CG sequences were as spectacular as always though.

My main reason for skipping XV is the grating all-male teenage cast. The other reason is, that my interest for the series has waned since the PS2 days. Hopefully VII remake will change that.

ffvorax

FFVII was my first JRPG and I was really young... then I became a fan of FF and played all the games of the franchise (the main games actually, and some of the spin-offs). Also started to learn english just to understand the plot in FFVII...

adixon

Pre -- played but never beat the original, FFIV was mind blowing compared to other games at the time. The final fantasy legend games were a lot of fun too.

Then FFVI came out and had a feeling to it that was different from anything I'd ever seen or heard or played before. Still one of my favorite games.

VII is great too, the music and atmosphere are as good as anything in the series.

LadderFilter

Neo Member
Post.

Everything started with FF VIII.

At that time everyone in the High School talked about how marvelous was this game!!
Beautiful 3D graphic and animations, fascinating OST, tons of hidden secrets were the selling points of videogames magazines... it seemed that everyone loved that game.

I had never played a JRPG before, so all of you can imagine how amazing was my experience when i put the first cd in my beloved PS1....

Great memories... i can even remember my feelings when i saw the game in the shop window before to buy it!! :)

Side note: now, after several replay of the (almost) entire catalogue, my favourite is FF 7.

Pre, but weirdly not because I'd played others. I didn't have a snes. I didn't have a PS1 either. But the idea of the game, it seemed like something I would really, really love. Then a PC version was announced (1998 release) and I read anything about it I could find, looked forward to it religiously. Then it came out and I got it but my parents PC couldnt run it D:

I didnt actually get to play it til about 5 years after release... totally worth it though.

Top Bottom