• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you enjoy Breath of the Wild's weapon durability system?

See thread title

• Yes, it made the game richer

Votes: 122 27.4%
  • No, it detracted from the other things the game did well

Votes: 324 72.6%

• Total voters

Zannegan

Eh, it was fine. I just wished you could combine duplicates to restore/repair them (stacked duplicates taking oneninventory slot would do just as well), or that Lynels didn't take so many dang hits.

RCU005

The issue is not that the weapons break, but that they last very little. In some instances, even the best weapon can last just ONE enemy!

It's understandable that a tree branch breaks in two or three hits, but huge, heavy weapons breaking so fast? It's very annoying more than anything. Then the Master Sword needs to recharge! That is just PATHETIC!

People wouldn't care if they could fight with a weapon for several fights and then break. I think the Witcher 3 is like that.

ZoukGalaxy

grumpy seth rogen GIF

Every durability and survival micro-management system is a CHORE, like there is not enough in life.

Last edited:

Banned
That’s because this system is actually novel and people keep treating the weapons in the game as conventional weapons, while they are more like ‘potions’ that add damage to your attacks for a limited time.

I always just looked at the system like an ammo System in any FPS on the planet.

1 Sword = 1 magazine of Sword attacks
1 Hammer = 1 magazine of Hammer attacks
and so on.

special variants like fire versions are just like special ammo for these weapons, which is also something some shooters do, like having normal bullets and FMJ bullets etc. or the fire breath bullets in CoD for shotguns.

this always makes me think, how do these people play shooters? are they going on a tantrum in some forum because their freaking shotgun ran out of ammo?

and the game even has its own analog to this with the bow and arrow, where you ALSO have to get new arrows for which have different types to find.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
If the weapons would have lasted longer, it would have been fine. But it was very annoying to have to carry an arsenal around at all times, most of which were not preferred, and hope I didn't find myself in a spot where I ran out. I never played to the point I got the Master Sword but a buddy said it had charges so it was kinda still under the restriction. If that's the case, I think that's lame. Getting that weapon should have freed you from it.

I always just looked at the system like an ammo System in any FPS on the planet.

and so on.

special variants like fire versions are just like special ammo for these weapons, which is also something some shooters do, like having normal bullets and FMJ bullets etc. or the fire breath bullets in CoD for shotguns.

this always makes me think, how do these people play shooters? are they going on a tantrum in some forum because their freaking shotgun ran out of ammo?

and the game even has its own analog to this with the bow and arrow, where you ALSO have to get new arrows for which have different types to find.
Ok.

Still sounds terrible.

R6Rider

Gold Member

and so on.

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

bender

What time is it?
I think the durability degraded to quickly for my liking but it didn't ruin the experience or my enjoyment of the game.

spookyfish

It neither made the game richer not worse. It was an interesting mechanic that formed part of the game/game play. I loved the game. Didn’t give a shit about having to swap weapons, it just made each fight more strategic in my opinion. The people that go on about it are pretty weird IMO.
Same. It didn’t really bother me. BUT - I do think it could be implemented a bit better, maybe. Evolve it—don’t just carry it over.

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

Once considerably upgraded, it's not really an issue anymore -- as someone else here said, once you can carry about 2 or 3 of your favorite strong weapons, and have enough of the map unlocked to easily replace anything you need at basically any time, it's not really too bothersome. However in the early hours of playing the game I found it to be incredibly annoying and worse, quite anti-Zelda.

BotW is a better game than it is a Zelda game. And while I was happy to play through it and will play the sequel, I'd also really like to play another proper Zelda game again. And with these being such smashing successes, I unfortunately have no idea when that will be coming. Not for a long while, I don't imagine.

Maybe TotK surprises me with a bunch of great dungeons and bosses! I'd be surprised, but it's possible I suppose?

One thing where BotW didn't disappoint was the story -- Zelda and Link were both better-drawn characters here than in almost all of the other entries that I've played. Hopefully they continue in that vein. (y)

Last edited:

theHFIC

AmWz796.gif

I beat the elephant from those 3 or 4 big Shadow of the Collusus looking things and then called it a day on the game. I went back when that exploit to get the master sword at the start of the game came out and by that point I just wasn't interested enough.

I am glad they are keeping it in Breath of the Wild + Sky Levels DLC expansion this summer because it makes the decision that much easier to put that $70 towards something else.

Pelao

I honestly loved it since I'm one of those who usually stick with one or two weapons for an entire game. The durability system forced me to be constantly changing weapons and improvising in the middle of the combats, something I didn't know I was going to have so much fun with. It created a game dynamic that in my case would not have existed if the rules of the game had not forced me to do so. I consider it a similar situation to when I went from Doom 2016 to Doom Eternal, a game that forces you to use all the weapons in your arsenal, several of which I ignored in the previous one, and thanks to that it created situations that I had too much fun with and that would not have existed otherwise.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Neither, i saw just as a mechanic. It's like a skill tree: nobody gets excited about it, but we like to get new skills during the game.

The only thing that bothered me, is that some utility itens defaulted to take melee weapons slots. The leaf, the torch, the rods, none of those things were made for melee combat.

Romulus

I wasn't mad about it, but I would rather not deal with it.

What bothered me the most was playing it on my TV. It's blurry low resolution with low framerate unless I emulated it on PC.

Last edited:

Paltheos

Neither of the provided options.

I enjoyed durability near the start of the game as an incentive to play conservatively and build up my strength, but by the end of the game I found it tedious as I fell into the RPG trap of 'I better save it just in case' while also dumping tons of other resources from lack of space.

There is one element of the system I hated though: Master Sword durability. It's a weapon of legend. Why does it fall to pieces like a bitch in (seemingly) no time at all, and worse why does it not restore durability when it's seathed? Deliberately breaking my weapon after a fight just so it can regenerate was really, really dumb.

Lillie

I already know I won't like ToTK because it's just like BoTW which I dislike due to said durability example as one of the reasons

Last edited:

Hugare

Imagine making a combat system where each weapon has its own purpose and functionality.

Like, every Zelda game, ever.

Now imagine throwing it all away and replacing it for ... this shit we got.

From the combat system, to the tons of meaningless collectibles, AI generated temples and terrible dungeons, I swear, Nintendo just threw a bunch of systems together because they didnt know what to do with them or time was running out, and people somehow called this game a masterpiece

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I’m pretty indifferent to it. I do think it makes the world richer in tandem with all the other systems thought.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
hey see that epic weapon there?! its going to brake later LOL

I think the devs make the weapons break so it gives you a false illusions of "loot" in the empty open world since you are required to scavenge for other weapons constantly.

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
People understand the perspective. They just don't agree.
doubt they understand the perspective. A wrong opinion to think weapon durability is not a net positive mechanic. Imagine if doom, halo or resident evil had unlimited ammo. Those games would suffer from players just using the best tools. You saw it in metal gear solid 5, where players would just use tranquilizer snipers and ruin the sandbox for themselves.

The frustration of weapons breaking comes from lack of creativity and intuitive thinking. Or, you get attached to digital toys or something more pathetic.

Last edited:
At first I didn't like it but then it didn't bother me. I love that it forces you to try different weapons or use whatever you can find. And you can use it to your advantage to hit an enemy when you know it's ready to break. It's really a non issue because if there is a weapon you like you can usually find about 40 of them. And once you get the master sword then it doesn't matter at all.

I'm happy to see breakable weapons are staying. The game makes up for it even more now by letting you craft new more durable weapons.

They kept it in the sequel, so that should put to rest all the players who just couldn't handle the concept or found it to be a mistake.

Nintendo does an absolute ton of player testing, including actual skilled players, so it's clear that the mechanic was a success or it would have been changed.
Yup. As much as TOTK is a sequel it seems like it will have a lot of QoL changes. Shit...they have given us another way to make weapons last longer. But the fact that weapons can still break means they have a good reason for it to still be in.

Like you say, Nintendo will do a lot of research into what people want. Some people crying on here is just a vocal minority. BOTW sold a fuck load and is highly rated so in reality it's not a problem for a lot of people.

Top Bottom