• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you enjoy Breath of the Wild's weapon durability system?

See thread title

• Yes, it made the game richer

Votes: 122 27.4%
  • No, it detracted from the other things the game did well

Votes: 324 72.6%

• Total voters

Regginator

Somewhat equally hated and liked it, as weird as it sounds. At times it was quite annoying to have a good and reliable weapon break on you, but at the same time this mechanic forced you to use everything at your disposable, which made the game much more flexible, unpredictable, and engaging.

That being said, I kinda lean towards hated it, but I can see why they went for it, and I can't see BOTW functioning any other way now.

Reactions: Gp1

Drizzlehell

Banned
Weapon durability is the single shittiest idea in every single video game where it's ever been implemented, and it never served to improve the experience, only to drag it down.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Did I enjoy it, absolutely not.

Did I manage so by the end it became tolerable, ya I guess.

Still loved the game though.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
No I hate it. Why Ill play a modded version.
Hope its gone for TOTK

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

It would have been better if each of the lands had a weapon set that wouldn’t break, each with special uses and energy effects. Maybe then the weapon energies would drain with a 2 minute cool down period.

Gp1

It was the way Nintendo forced us to use different weapons and weapons management. In that way, it made the game richer.

That being said, it's easily one of the worst and most annoying aspects of the game.

Last edited:

BlackTron

It was a bad system that created more issues than it solved. I'm not against the idea completely but if this is the best they could do, then no.

From the beginning I hated how fragile too many weapons were. I mean it was okay and even cool for stuff like sticks, but you have these metal instruments that all feel like they just have a tiny game HP bar. Which to me was jarring and took me out of the game because it didn't feel realistic, it felt like tacked-on artificial management.

Link runs out of breath after running for too long? There's a resource management that makes sense. Why does this forged shit just break after just a few enemies? It's surprising and weird. I think they just needed to have them last a lot longer and tweak a damage/element/crafting system to be better.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's not a feature to enjoy on its own, it worked fine for the game's economy and how that stuff interconnected with the inventory, discovery, etc.

Last edited:

Alphagear

Weapon durability adds nothing to a game.

To make matters worse the weapons broke quickly and you couldn’t repair either.

I simply never used my best weapons because of it.

One of the worst game design choices I have seen but since it’s Nintendo they got away with it.

Mozzarella

No, while it makes you go out and look for weapons, it also makes the act of exploring tedious and kinda unrewarding, because sometimes you have a good weapon but you skip exploration because you dont want to waste the durability on a chest that contains few arrows.
Its not a fatal flaw, i still love the game despite it so it didnt bother me that much , but i prefer if the durability was x2 longer than it actually is, i tried this in the emulator version later and it made the game a lot more enjoyable.
I unironically think Breath of the Wild best version is on the Cemu + the mods and the upgrades you can tweak.

masterkajo

It was a bad system that created more issues than it solved. I'm not against the idea completely but if this is the best they could do, then no.

From the beginning I hated how fragile too many weapons were. I mean it was okay and even cool for stuff like sticks, but you have these metal instruments that all feel like they just have a tiny game HP bar. Which to me was jarring and took me out of the game because it didn't feel realistic, it felt like tacked-on artificial management.

Link runs out of breath after running for too long? There's a resource management that makes sense. Why does this forged shit just break after just a few enemies? It's surprising and weird. I think they just needed to have them last a lot longer and tweak a damage/element/crafting system to be better.
I think the weapons should durability based on the enemy/things you hit with it. A wooden stick would break easily but a heavy metal weapon is basically indestructible when fighting fleshy things, but will break much more easily when fighting robots or stone things.

The reverse of that is Elden Ring. You can get infinite weapon durability. BUT - no more picking up enemy weapons. No stealing weapons from an enemy camp to disarm them - no knocking it out of their hand, no throwing your weapons, no thrill of looting of an entire armory of 10 different weapons at once... The weapons you do get are carefully placed in rarer treasure chests - often at the end of a shrine. But once you get them, you get to have them forever. That's what you guys want?
Yes.

This entire discussion exists to hate Zelda because it's popular.

It's just as dumb as people calling Sony games "walking simulators" or calling all the Soulsborne games "the same game".

It's a tiny fucking thing in the game you get over after 5 minutes, you can't possibly make an argument that this is a big issue. There is no way people are this petty.

People cling to this because it's console war fodder. This is Nintendo's version of the Abby incident.
Read the thread. Most people are saying they loved the game as a whole, but this one part was the part they hated.

How is that console warring against Nintendo? Saying a game would have been 10/10 without this mechanic, but is instead an 8 or a 9 isn't trashing Nintendo or the game as a whole.

Mindlessly saying, "well, if Nintendo put it in, it must be good", is what would be blind fanboyism.

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t even like weapon variety. Just filler to justify the open world size.
Nah it’s definitely needed in the game imo. I cleared several shrines thanks to having a metal sword that could conduct electricity or a fire sword that I could throw at a torch I couldn’t reach, for example. They have plenty of use outside of combat, which is nice.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

There were times when I didn't care and there were times when I did.

The biggest thing that bothered me was the master sword losing power. I just thought the master sword should be usable at all times.

Never really got the hate for it. Not saying I enjoyed it but it wasn't even something remotely close to make me stop playing the game. Just was a mechanic that was there and that I barely noticed as I got into the swing of things in the game. Feel like people complained to much about this issue and I never found myself out of weapons completely or anything.

BlackTron

I think the weapons should durability based on the enemy/things you hit with it. A wooden stick would break easily but a heavy metal weapon is basically indestructible when fighting fleshy things, but will break much more easily when fighting robots or stone things.

Yeah exactly. Which is why I thought it was cool for sticks to break so easily, but not a sword. Illusion-breaking. It's not that the idea itself is bad out of hand, but the execution sucks.

Regginator

Somewhat equally hated and liked it, as weird as it sounds. At times it was quite annoying to have a good and reliable weapon break on you, but at the same time this mechanic forced you to use everything at your disposable, which made the game much more flexible, unpredictable, and engaging.

That being said, I kinda lean towards hated it, but I can see why they went for it, and I can't see BOTW functioning any other way now.
I've given it a little thought and I think it's a fun mechanic that forces you to be flexible and think on your feet, but the durability in general is pretty low. Like, I understand tree branches breaking quickly or rusted weapons to not last long, but for the "regular" weapons it really should be increased.

So if TotK manages to have the same system but increase the overall durability so it doesn't feel some weapons break in 8 hits, then I think I'd enjoy it a lot more.

BlackTron

I don’t even like weapon variety. Just filler to justify the open world size.

Yeah pretty much. It's a giant map filled with copy/paste stuff to walk and climb between, with too little real action/adventure/puzzle gameplay to prop it up. But, best game of all time confirmed I guess.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
It's easy to break, so no. They could do something to upgrade this. Having perks or whatever. It's basically the only annoying thing in the whole game

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
No, fuck no. Hell no, and fuck no. Hated it. Hated the lack of dungeons. Hated the copy paste shrines. Hated fighting the same boss over and over. Loved the world and the incredible physics and things you can do.

It's strange how IMO, Nintendo hit the big time with their major franchises on the Switch except Zelda for me. Odyssey? Hell yeah. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? Fucking hell that game is still alive and kicking and we are getting new tracks all the time. Smash Ultimate? The greatest Smash game ever and an absurd amount of quality content. Metroid Prime Remake...Oh lord, masterpiece! Zelda? Just a big world without anything really interesting to find, except the same thing over and over, and hampered combat thanks to every weapon breaking all the damn time.

Last edited:

kazooie___

Neo Member
I didn't care.

Weapon is about to break? Throw it and grab another one. There are always plenty of weapons out there.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Breath of the wild has the same style of play as other Zelda games I didn’t feel the weapon durability system being less or more valuable comparing that to the razor, fairy, master and gilded swords.

oji-san

Banned
I don't like weapon durability in any game, it's one of those things devs think it's adding something to the game but i don't see what it added, if they think that weapon durability is a must for balancing or whatever then make the weapons last more at least, like i remember that in BoTW and Dying Light you need to switch weapons every couple of minutes, at least in The Witcher 3 iirc it took much longer and you had ways to fix the weapon and it didn't break just become less useful, The Outer Worlds was like that as well i think? much better then weapons breaking every 5 minutes.

Astral Dog

not really but i guess its something "new" ,rather than just start with a boring sword and then getting the (also boring)Master Sword along the way you actually need to work for it

There is potential on this system but Breath of the Wild barely scratched the surface, the combat is pretty poor,if they can improve on it with Tears of the Kingdom ,you can actually have a justification for multiple melee weapons

-Zelda-

Banned
Hated it. Lack of dungeons, weapons as ammo, and open world fatigue ruined my enjoyment of it. Never completed it because it just felt like a bunch of busy work that I was not enjoying.

Hated the way it was implemented it.

I have nothing against a durability system if you can repair gear as you go (maybe a smith to do it, a repair kit craftables you can carry around), not the shit your thing breaks and you have to get a new one type of system. That's bullshit.

Rat Rage

Rat Rage Rat Rage - Do you yield, sir?

Your poll is pretty insignificant and only proves my point. Breath of the Wild sold 30 Million copies. Now you have a poll of about 325 people( 0.001 % of Breath of the Wild's install base), of which some don't like the weapon breaking system.
What does that prove? Absolutely nothing.
Let's consider the following: usually way more people take action and complain about stuff on the internet IF they don't like something. Let's say you've bought something and are not satisfied with it because its faulty or of very poor quality. This triggers you emotionally, because you believe you have been wronged, and you start to take action by, let's say, complaining about it on the internet. Now on the other hand, if people like something or have received something just like they imagined and are therefore satisfied, a vast majority of them don't even bother telling the whole world about it. Of course you'll have people being so satisfied and happy about a product that they feel the need to share their excitment (for example, by writing about it on the internet). Still, the vast majority of all customers don't do this, because they are lazy and already satisfied enough, so they don't bother.

Now back to Breath of the Wild. Let's asume 1 percent of Breath of the Wild's install base REALLY hated the weapon breaking system, so about 300.000 people. Don't you think, every major gaming site, every major gaming social media channel, even twitter would have been utterly flooded with negative comments about it for month or even years? Ask yourself, is or has that been the case with Breath of the Wild? Absolutely not, because the simple truth is: only a very small, insignificant number of people who bought Breath of the Wild actually hated its weapon breaking system, while the vast majority liked or at least didn't have any problems with it.

tmlDan

The only answer is No, I watched the new footage and as soon as they mentioned it still has durability I turned it off. Not playing this game with that system in place.

It's not that I hate durability systems, I just hate BOTW's.

Raploz

Yes. It made combat more strategic because I had to be mindful about my weapons and it gave me a reason to always hunt for equipment. It also made me save the best equipment for stronger enemies. Knowing my weapons could break made those harder fights more challenging and exciting. If it wasn't for that mechanic you'd have nothing of value to collect on the open world, only food and precious stones.
Just imagine how boring it would be if they did it like previous Zeldas and you had this gigantic open world and all you had to collect were rupees and heart pieces? That kinda worked in previous Zelda games (albeit it was still boring) because their worlds were smaller. In BotW they had to have something to make the player explore, and since the progression is open ended, if you had a badass item because you beat the most dificult boss first that would destroy the balance of the game.

Last edited:
I hated it and basically avoided combat until I got the Master Sword.

If it wasn't for that mechanic you'd have nothing of value to collect on the open world, only food and precious stones.
Just imagine how boring it would be if they did it like previous Zeldas and you had this gigantic open world and all you had to collect were rupees and heart pieces?

There was little of value to collect in the open world though. Everything in BotW is a consumable, essentially. It doesn't have to be one the other btw - many open world games offer meaningful loot so Zelda should evolve accordingly.

I would rather have loot that upgrades my Sheikah slate/powers than disposable weapons. New gliders, mounts, stuff for Tarrey town, actual fishing........there was plenty they could've offered besides "rupees and heart pieces".

GermanZepp

I'm currently playing the game for the first time. I believe i'm on the last quarter of the story. I´ve never on my 30+ playthrough get stuck with no weapon. So i don't understand the complaints. Yes, the weapons breaks but all enemies who carries one drops it, right? (and i just have like ¿8 o 9? weapon slots) 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Top Bottom