• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you say WOW when Revolution controller was revealed?

i was shocked and pissed after i first saw it. my jaw literally dropped

after i read the IGN/1up/GS impressions though i saw the potential of the controller and now i think it's genious

Vieo

I first said "WTF!?". Then I read more about the controller itself and was like "Hmm?". It was damn late at night. I proceeded to go to bed. When I was in the middle of eatting my strawberry eggo waffles in the morning, I thought about it some more, then I said "WOW!".

Grimlock

First words out of my mouth was, "I can actually hear all of the Nintendo fanboys screaming 'F#ck!'." Well, after nearly laughing myself unconsious, that is. Whilst I do see it's potential, I sometimes still laugh upon seeing it again.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
momolicious said:
seriously, i did say WOW when i saw it

because Iwata said, You will saw WOW

was he right?
it has probably already been mentioned in this thread somewhere, but that thing about "you will say wow" was in relation to the graphics the Rev would be capable of, not the remote controller or any other "revolutionary"/innovative features.

Insertia

I believe I laughed.

I still don't know what to think of Revolution. It's kind of hard to form an opinion when there aren't any real games shown for it.

Flo_Evans

It was more like OMG WTF?!?!

then, I do believe I did say 'wow' out loud, but it was more like a icantbeleivethisshitisreal 'wow' then I had a hearty laugh.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
More like:

"wtf"

and a few minutes later:

"Oh okay, that looks neat for some games"

Ponn

Banned
I said literally "The one controller gimmick I was praying they wouldn't go with and the fuckers went with it."

Oh well, I still have two other consoles and portables so no skin off my back.

Link

The Autumn Wind
It was more of a "meh" at first, and it still kinda is. I need to see it in use with actual games to really make a decision.

However, the replies in this thread? Complete "WOW!" I mean, I was blown away by the completely unexpected replies from Belfast, et al.

Blown. Away.

jgkspsx

I said, "Hahaha, that's a friggin' great parody photoshop!"

Then I said, "Wait, someone didn't hack 1up?"

Then I thought, OMGWTFBBQ?

Then, after finding out about how it's supposed to work, I became very interested in the technical aspects of it. As far as gameplay goes, I'll give it a chance, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't most interested in the Rev as an emulator system.

Dilbert

"What the fuck is Nintendo thinking?"

After more reflection, I decided to wait until actual games came out...but it's going to take something spectacular to make me want to use that thing.

at first I said "wow, 15 years buying their games and all I get is a fucking remote"

then I heard about the shell

now I'm excited about the ideas

trilobyte

For the record Iwata said "You will say WOW" in regards to seeing the first glimpse of the graphics capability of the Revolution

So this thread is worthless.

i was on #GA when the controller was revealed and i swear everyone at the same time typed "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA WTF IS THIS CRAP"

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Not wow but I saw the potential for fun games straight away. Nintendo have probably been working on game designs for ages so I really can't wait to see what crazy shit they come up with. Hopefully something along the lines of Wario Ware.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Fixed2BeBroken said:
honestly, i still havent seen the revolution controller and would like to see it. could someone link?

Prepare to be wowed.

revcontroller1.jpg

revcontroller2.jpg

BTW, when I first saw it, I think I said "Holy shit, you're kidding me." Then I stared at IGN's pics for a few minutes in awe while continually reloading, wondering if there was some mistake they were going to correct in a minute or two. There wasn't.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Not really. It was more of a WTF? than a Wow!

In all honesty, the EyeToy is a more revolutionary interface than a remote control and the technology will just improve in the next generation. Why more revolutionary? There is virtually NO barrier to entry with an EyeToy game where with a Revolution controller someone still has to get used to using a controller.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
ManaByte said:

In all honesty, the EyeToy is a more revolutionary interface than a remote control and the technology will just improve in the next generation. Why more revolutionary? There is virtually NO barrier to entry with an EyeToy game where with a Revolution controller someone still has to get used to using a controller.
the eyetoy would never work as a main control method for a console. it's okay for the odd party game here and there, but that's it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Scrow said:
the eyetoy would never work as a main control method for a console. it's okay for the odd party game here and there, but that's it.

I'm not so sure. I think developers have just barely scratched the surface of what can be done with an optical camera interface as seen in games such as Antigrav and Spy.

Monk

Banned
ManaByte said:

But will sell like shit because it is not bundled with the system at no extra cost. :/ And thus virtually no good games will be made for it. :/

Triumph

Banned
My first reaction was something along the lines of "Why does Nintendo hate videogamers so much?", immediately followed by "Man, the Horde is gonna LAP THIS SHIT UP."

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TTP said:
First reaction: "WTF?"
Upon further investigation: "Sounds cool"
Exactly what I thought.

I honestly feel Nintendo has something very unique and intriguing in that controller, that if executed properly and played to it's strengths, could make the other consoles just feel 'obsolete' - even though they would spank it with graphics power.

How to describe this in the best way... imagine you have PS4 in front of you with MGS5 running on it and you can play it using regular controller, but on the other side of the room you have an N64 with simple looking Mario game BUT you control Mario with your thoughts.

That kind of thing, only not as radical of course.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Marconelly said:
How to describe this in the best way... imagine you have PS4 in front of you with MGS5 running on it and you can play it using regular controller, but on the other side of the room you have an N64 with simple looking Mario game BUT you control Mario with your thoughts.

That kind of thing, only not as radical of course.

Actually by the time the PS4 is out the EyeToy tech will likely be super refined and MGS5 would probably be using an optical interface to control Snake :D

Monk

Banned
ManaByte said:
Actually by the time the PS4 is out the EyeToy tech will likely be super refined and MGS5 would probably be using an optical interface to control Snake :D

Come to think of it, how would you control snake with it? I think a hybrid system where you use a ps2 controller and when you need to cycle through your inventory, you flick your fingers up and down, left or right.

But i would hesitate to use the eyetoy for things like shooting things, but for driving it would be much better. I wonder why sony hasn't made a driving game for it. :(

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Lo-Volt said:
"What the hell is that. What is that."

:lol

I had to get up real early for work that morning and went "oh the rev controller is out" opened the topic, read lo volts response and saw the picture and then ran off to work. spent a while thinking about the picture and what was said and was pretty confused. I did say wow. It wasn't really a good wow though. Then I watched Iwatas speech and got pretty interested.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I remember it painfully well. I had a rough night out in Roppongi the day before, and had the worst of hangovers. It was a really warm day and I had to commute for an hour and a half to Makuhari Messe with a 35kg suitcase and a 10kg bag. Additionally, I started to feel the "I need to get out of Tokyo quick" anxiety.

After going around the show a couple of times, I took off to airport with a nice, air conditioned cab, got all stuff out of my hands to the trunk and opened the browser on my Nokia. The first thing in my mind was a big "HUH??? Didn't see that coming!" Second thought was a huge dissappointment. Third thought was a slight intrigue after reading the descriptions of how to use it. After pondering it while eating my first meal of the day at Narita, sipping Asahi, I was still feeling empty - "THIS was IT?!" Still today, I'm overall underwhelmed with the little we've seen of Revolution so far, and Wi-Fi Connection isn't promising too much.

mrkgoo

ManaByte said:

Well, I have a PS2 eyetoy, and I'd say it's pretty fun when it works, but the conditions to do so are limited. Using standrad incandescent lighting, it's typically not good enough to get the edges of the screen - if I adjust sensitivity, then the whole screen has random jitters, and can cause any part to activate. Also, the colours of my walls are apparently too close to my skin colour, and i have to wear gloves to play properly.

will they sort this kind of thing out for PS3?

Somehow, I doubt it'd ever get to the point of being absolutely great in all conditions, seeign as it still uses the technology of colour moving on colour. If it could actually recognise faces, and shapes, then yeah, maybe cool then.

Even as a nintendo fan my very first reaction was "huh where's the rest?" :lol
Second reaction: "It's from nintendo, its going to rock no matter what"

Monk

Banned
mrkgoo said:
Well, I have a PS2 eyetoy, and I'd say it's pretty fun when it works, but the conditions to do so are limited. Using standrad incandescent lighting, it's typically not good enough to get the edges of the screen - if I adjust sensitivity, then the whole screen has random jitters, and can cause any part to activate. Also, the colours of my walls are apparently too close to my skin colour, and i have to wear gloves to play properly.

will they sort this kind of thing out for PS3?

Somehow, I doubt it'd ever get to the point of being absolutely great in all conditions, seeign as it still uses the technology of colour moving on colour. If it could actually recognise faces, and shapes, then yeah, maybe cool then.

WTF? Here i thought that it was more advanced than that. Geez, here I though that it could tell the difference from the wall and you, I mean seriously gloves? WTF?

HooDoo

More like "Wow the fuck ?!"

I had missed the actual presentation and saw a pic of the remote controller here on GAF, at that time I thought it was yet another mock-up until I read (too fast) an article about it. I hadn't read accurate impression and I thought I couldn't use it on my front projector.

The day after I went completely nut thinking about the possibilities.

Top Bottom