• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you say WOW when Revolution controller was revealed?

Xellotah

Just looking at the pictures, I thought WTF and then a general sense of gloom & doom about the prospects of Nintendo. It didn't help that the thread on the Rev Controller was started by Drinky and of course he was piling on the sh*t.

But having read about it on IGN, Im cautiously optimistic about the rev controller.

I actually figured it would be something like that, infact I had a mockup of a controller that looked a lot like the shape of the analog stick attachment and I described some of the scenarios that Nintendo even used in their video (ie: using a gyro-type controller to mimic a baseball bat or drumsticks).

I was surprised that they purposely designed it to look like a TV remote, but I understand the reasoning behind that.

All in all, I was more surprised that I had almost got it right. I was worried that Nintendo would "chicken out" and go for a more conventional type of pad with a gyro or two thrown in.

quetz67

Banned
DieNgamers said:
I said:
"Was?....Oh...U.....Oooohh!!!! Hmm....Boah...das hätte ich jetzt nicht gedacht!"
Bei mir war es so ähnlich.

I had expected some gyroscopic stuff but I was quite impressed about the sleek elegant solution they came up with. And I was instantly sure that this will get used in many games, which wouldnt be the case with some half-assed gyroscope solution.

ChryZ

Yeah, WOW. Watched the PV, next thought was "looks fun, me wants one" and then "damn, I have to upgrade my deo for that °v°;"

MrSingh

I thought it was the most f*ing retarded thing ever. but since it's from nintendo, most other people would liken it to poop from j3sus. people would smear it all over their faces and cry "SALVATION!"

MCH! MA-CHOW-HAI!!!

Kolgar

I too said "WTF!" followed by "wow." As in "Wow, they've really lost their minds!"

But then, so many people were circle-jerking in the official thread that I just figured I was getting too old for this shit. The remotroller's charms were (and are) still lost on me - I'm perfectly happy with the controllers on today's current systems.

By the way: What's the name of that Hori controller Nintendo ripped off to make their "Revolution"? (I saw a VERY similar product from Hori in an issue of EGM like two years ago, but have since misplaced the mag.)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Monk said:
But i would hesitate to use the eyetoy for things like shooting things, but for driving it would be much better. I wonder why sony hasn't made a driving game for it. :(
To think of it, the whole "control your character through eyetoy" concept was another gaming dream of mine - something I thought would make regular controller feel completely outdated - that is until I saw that concept in action done reasonably well (Eyetoy: Antigrav) and realized that it's more like an excercise in tedium than awesome experience I thought it would be. So underwhelming it was that Antigrav became the first game ever that I've returned into the store few days after I bought it.

I don't know, maybe the whole Rev concept will suffer the same fate, it's hard to tell, but I think it has potential at least being a lot more precise than PS2 eyetoy, and also a hugely important feature of not having to wave hands all around but just being able to point the controller by moving your wrist, like you would do with the laser pointer.

Cosmozone

The first photo I saw was the one from the front. I couldn't really see how the controller really looks like. From that view, it looked like a scanning device of some sort, accompanied by a single push button for the other hand. I didn't identify the thing as a stick yet.

Guess what I said.

monkeyrun

momolicious said:
seriously, i did say WOW when i saw it

because Iwata said, You will saw WOW

was he right?
as a Nbot I have to obey Iwata's order, so I said WOW.

I will say WOW again when Revolution's graphics capability is revealed, because Iwata said so. Until then there will be no more WOWs

The concept (motion sensitive) I expected.

The form factor made me say WTF!!

Now in retrospect I keep asking. How is this different then Xavix?

i thought "wow, why do i keep doubting them?"

Thought for sure the controller would just have a touch screen or some other cheap gimmik. Turns out its very well thought out and truly revolutionary

Merlin

Banned
momolicious said:
seriously, i did say WOW when i saw it

because Iwata said, You will saw WOW

was he right?

wtf.gif

I believe i said " Holy fucking shit! OMG, OMG, WOW, hmm, ok....how is that to work exactly........[then upon further investigation of its ability] I went straight back to OMG, OMG, WOW"

On a more interesting note, has anyone actually got one of the Revmote shells that Nintendo were supposed to give away on their Japanese Stars catalogue? It'd be interesting to see how that feels in the hand and if it is actually made of the same materials as the real Revmote, pus I believe it also has the funtionality of an all-in-one TV remote. Though i'm not 100% sure if it has been released or not, i heard about it here on GAF a few weeks ago.

sammy

I said "WOW" in the good way

----- I wasn't completely taken by shock since I figured it might be something to do with 'gyration' type 3d control --- I was at least pretty sure it would be something to offer an answer or alternative to the mouse, since that's what consoles have missed out on for decades.

Top Bottom