• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Die Hard 3 holds up really, really well

• Thread starter Deleted member 801069
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
recently decided to rewatch this one with my wife because she's never seen it. it holds up incredibly well.

explosion-1432043182.gif

the 59% on Rotten Tomatoes is criminal.

I hadn't seen this movie since the 90s, but something that really stood out to me during the rewatch was Samuel L Jackson's performance. he is fantastic in this film.

race-1432043197.gif

he also helps balance out some of the films shlock.

action-1432043202.gif

I would actually rank 3 above 2, with 1 being better than 2 and 3. Simon Gruber also makes a great villain.

b23ede2d7debf317a7baafd8abf89a0ce294e092.gif

I believe Die Hard 1, 2 and 3 are all on HBO Max.

I know a lot of people revisit Die Hard 1 around the holidays, but don't sleep on Die Hard 3. the film is a classic.

Last edited by a moderator:

nush

Probably helps that it wasn't written as a Die hard movie and they just fit John McClain into it. 2 was lazy and did the same thing again in a different location.

Way better than Die Hard 2.

Sam Jackson absolutely killed it. "Jesus?! Do I look Puerto Rican to you!?!?"

When I found out it wasn't originally written as a Die Hard movie certain things made sense. The shoehorning that Simon was actually Hans Gruber brother was always goofy and handled sloppily. Other than that, I love the movie.

Die Hard 4 on the other hand.....

ManaByte

Way better than Die Hard 2.

Sam Jackson absolutely killed it. "Jesus?! Do I look Puerto Rican to you!?!?"

When I found out it wasn't originally written as a Die Hard movie certain things made sense. The shoehorning that Simon was actually Hans Gruber brother was always goofy and handled sloppily. Other than that, I love the movie.

Die Hard 4 on the other hand.....

As bad as 4 is, 5 is worse.

So, I bought the whole series on a steelbook blu-ray and decided to watch them all in a row... going from 3 to 4... HOLY SHIT IS 4 UGLY TO LOOK AT. 3 looks fucking gorgeous in comparison, one of the best shot and best looking films ever made, but even 2 looks better than 4! Nevermind 1 which also looks fucking great. The switch to digital made the film look like a goddamn TV show albeit with better action/effects. Fuck digital.

Probably helps that it wasn't written as a Die hard movie and they just fit John McClain into it. 2 was lazy and did the same thing again in a different location.

2 also wasn't originally a Die Hard, it was a book called I think 58 minutes? I tried looking it up and amazon showed me a 200 dollar Nakatomi plaza Die Hard collection and the ensuing erection stole all blood from my brain... oh no... but even Die Hard 1 was originally Commando 2 before Arnold decided he didn't like doing sequels when Conan the Destroyer bombed (then went on to do Terminator 2, anyways because Jim Cameron is a beast) and was based on a book called uh... Nothing Lasts Forever where McClaine's character is more like a Frank Sinatra.

Old Retro

I saw it at the theaters a few times when it came out. Original I've lost count.

Parts 4 and after lost the mystique. Saw em once and I was one and done.

Bryank75

Banned
Never knew it was so low on RT, I always thought it was an excellent film.

Loved how Sam Jackson and Bruce Willis played off one another and Jeremy Irons is a great villain.

The intro is so memorable too... with this great song.

epicnemesis

It’s the best die hard that isn’t the original die hard. 2 was really not good, but it had the icicle and propeller guys, so I’ll allow it. 4 was trash, not sure how many more were made because I stopped paying attention after that one.

Soodanim

I always thought 3 was really good. Similar to everyone else, I rank them 1, 3, 2. I watched 4 once, possibly at the cinema (which I don’t often go to) and it was fucking awful. One scene I actually remember was this one for its sheer stupidity:

I forgot there was a Die Hard 5 until this thread, and I’m never going to watch it.

I’m on board with film vs digital, too. Everything looks too clean now. I think it’s part of what draws me to 80s and other older movies.

FunkMiller

McTiernan was the only director that did a good job with Die Hard. There’s a rough quality to his film making that really suits the story.

1&3 are the only good films in the series.

I think the original script is called Simon Says. If you made that today you'd have McClane going to the LGTBQ part of town holding up a sign that says "JK was right".

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I'm glad they only ever made 3 films. can you imagine if they went beyond that, made a PG-13 rated one then tried to bring his son into this series? ahahahahahahha

I love all 3 of the Die Hard films. A great trilogy of films. Thank fuck they never made anymore of them as the 3 of them are a nice trilogy of action classics.

I think I love you

Die Hard 2 > Die Hard 1 > whatever else.

suck it gaf.

97vNuGQ.jpg

Last edited:
I recognise Die Hard 1 is a classic, but I legit prefer WAV

So quoteable, great cast, every henchman is memorable, Willis in his 90's prime, violent, amazing on-location shots.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
the 59% on Rotten Tomatoes is criminal.

59%?? That's fucking blasphemy!

Thanks to the Italian custom of completely renaming movies, Vengeance is actually the first movie that ever carried the Die Hard name in Italy, so it's more of a classic here than the first movie.
(DH1 and 2 were roughly titled "Crystal Trap" and "58 minutes to die" in Italian)
I've seen it half a dozen times and absolutely LOVE it!

Definitely better than 2. Don’t even remember 2.
Saw 2 again a couple of years ago. I think it's very solid. The first part is great, then it loses some steam in the finale.

4 had that elevator fight which I thought was quite good....u won’t see many action films these days where a male punches an Asian women in the face
As sexist as it sounds... I actually cheered the first time I saw that scene, lol. The idea of a kickass Asian woman getting punched in the face and ultimately beaten by the white male hero would have people asking for Willis's head these days.
4 is way too over the top, though. The good thing about the original trilogy is that McClane's antics and wounds are always kinda believable. 4 just says "fuck it, this is a 2000s movie and Willis is clearly not giving a shit about this so let's tune up the explosions, k?"

Nymphae

Banned
2 is fine I don't get why people don't like it. I like the ending sequence a lot on the runway. It's just not as good as the stellar original because it treads so much of the same ground and has less memorable villains and side characters, but it's like the same thing with the same dude.

Special shout-out to the late great Michael Kamen, who composed the score to WAV

An accomplished guy, occasionally what could be considered to be 'workman like' I suppose but his work on Die Hard 3 is first rate and has a character and real charm along with some inspired licenced music picks. I don't see Kamen get mentioned much in threads about composers, his film career his worth looking up

Nymphae

Banned
Special shout-out to the late great Michael Kamen, who composed the score to WAV

An accomplished guy, occasionally what could be considered to be 'workman like' I suppose but his work on Die Hard 3 is first rate and has a character and real charm along with some inspired licenced music picks. I don't see Kamen get mentioned much in threads about composers, his film career his worth looking up

I love the music in Lethal Weapon

Top Bottom