• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digg founder Kevin Rose throws a raccoon down a stairwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is everyone hating on raccoons?

YtQPTnw.gif

If it was attacking a pet, it would get tossed.

I remember when my dog cornered a racoon on our porch one night. Pulled her away real quick. She would have won the battle I don't doubt, but would have been scratched up and I'd rather not have dealt with that.

Takuan

I like raccoons, but if it were me I'd have kicked it down the stairs. Takes balls to pick one up and toss it, higher risk of getting bitten in the process.

jediyoshi

Did I miss the part of the video where he's glamorizing it? You're just subverting another angle in here as if the sheer action of uploading it implies some other intent. Is there any context of the video's uploading you think would make sense with the pretense of being against animal violence? Jesus this is like people being mad at Sega for putting anti graffiti warnings at the opening of jet set games.

That terrified look on the puppy :( I would have kicked the shit out of that racoon.

edit: Poodle? It looked like a golden retriever puppy to me.

edit: Yeah its a poodle, stupid rat dog.

MechaX

so can dogs

Uh... yeah, some dogs out there can probably take a raccoon, just as much as they could fight when cornered. Too bad Kevin Rose didn't own a Rottweiler.

lol, okay some of you are giving way too much credit to raccoons. We used to get raccoon on our property on a weekly basis. Often in groups of 3 or more. Me simply running at them, yelling at them, or stomping my feet at them managed to get them running away 99% of the time.

only reason I'd be scared of a raccoon is if it was rabid. but you should be scared of anything that is rabid, even a tiny ass squirrel.

If only you were around when these folks were either mauled or just flat out attacked by aggressive raccoons that couldn't be spooked off.

Did I miss the part of the video where he's glamorizing it? You're just subverting another angle in here as if the sheer action of uploading it implies some other intent. Is there any context of the video's uploading you think would make sense with the pretense of being against animal violence? Jesus this is like people being mad at Sega for putting anti graffiti warnings at the opening of jet set games.

You only need to look at the response the video has gotten to see the problem with it. I think it's irresponsible of him, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he eventually pulls it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
using the internet, I can find tons of links that evidence attacks by creatures ranging from squirrels to pigeons

so yeah, I'm gonna take my personal experience with raccoon over some links you provide buddy.

Agressive raccoons are mean cunts and will fuck your shit up. The thing is, that one was already attacking the poor dog[ and things could have ended very poorly for the pooch had not been for its owner. Considering that it could have hurt him or worse, he did the right thing by stepping in.

They are smart creatures and don't deserve to be tossed around on principle, but if they are already set on you or your dog... yeah.

MechaX

using the internet, I can find tons of links that evidence attacks by creatures ranging from squirrels to pigeons

so yeah, I'm gonna take my personal experience with raccoon over some links you provide buddy.

So basically you're resorting to "it didn't happen to me, therefore nobody else should worry about it and everything to the contrary is just blown out of proportion" line of logic despite how territorial aggression in raccoons is a pretty well-known and studied thing (and it's not like most people are willing to get the shit clawed out of them to test whether or not a wild one they come across is one of the good guys), unlike squirrels and pigeons where their acts of aggression on humans are very much atypical. Whatever floats your boat dude.

In other news, you can potty train raccoons easier than some domesticated animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom