• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth (PSV) Teaser Trailer

Yaoibot

It's also Digimon. The last Digimon game released outside of Japan was World Championship. :(

Namco finally turned the ship around on the PS3. Vita will get its due, it just has to keep trickling out more units. They are averse to publishing on miniscule platforms, it seems. Maybe there will be a Chinese version with English text if we're lucky. I'm gonna start pestering them on Twitter asap. Game looks too good to let slide. I"m getting a Pokemon X SMT vibe from the media releases for some reason.

Nice to see Media Vision making games for legit platform again.

It's not like they ever stopped.

2011: Senjou no Valkyria 3 (Valkyria Chronicles 3)
2012: Shining Blade
2013: Shining Ark

I wouldn't be surprised if they're remaking Senjou no Valkyria or will be working on the next game in the series. I read a few comments here and there that Shining Ark (or Blade) is essentially SenVal's battle system.

If I am not mistaken, Chaos Rings games were also "legit games" until the owner of the IP (*coughGuessWhocough*) decided to go full retard and make the next game an online RPG for smartphones. (Free-to-play, pay-to-win)

khaaan

Man, that looks great. Too bad the general consensus seems to be that we're probably not going to see it released overseas.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's too early to beg for this, it will release on 2015, it would be more useful to beg for games that are already out in Japan ;)

Cha

Those screenshots look gorgeous and the art style looks so clean. Never paid attention to Digimon. But I'm lookin forward to hearing more about this - especially if it does actually look like these images.

tensuke

Ugh, this thread again. The visuals are SO GOOD. I need it. Still planning on importing, I guess, I just wish it could be localized...Even digital only...T_T

Mr-Joker

Banned
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201403/13049687.html

Publisher: Namco Bandai Games
Developer: Media.Vision
Producer: Hanyu Kazumasa
Character Designer: Suzuhito Yasuda

5BQVfN2.jpg

xUa3VP8.jpg

Oh god I want this game. It never going to get localize is it? :(

One Piece is coming digital only so there's still hope!

One Piece is more popular and is currently on-going whereas Digimon isn't.

Kinsei

Banned

Digimon is currently ongoing. Digimon Fusion (The localization of Xros Wars) is currently ongoing in NA.

Koppai

Bandai Namco has been localizing almost everything lately, I wouldn't give up just yet. I hope we get Digitize Decode too, and then this game. Looks wonderful! :eek:

EDIT:
Just sent them a direct message on Facebook hoping to see the release of these games. Everyone should do that on Facebook and Twitter :3

Bandai Namco has been localizing almost everything lately, I wouldn't give up just yet. I hope we get Digitize Decode too, and then this game. Looks wonderful! :eek:

EDIT:
Just sent them a direct message on Facebook hoping to see the release of these games. Everyone should do that on Facebook and Twitter :3
Not only that but the last few games got localised when there was no on-air series hence the bad sales.

Now we have Xros Wars (or Fusion something) on Western TV (at least the US and UK), card lines, I saw the toys when I was out shopping the other day as well. Why not video games?

My personal hope is that we get a localisation of Super Xros Wars Blue and Red, I think that's most likely at this point as that's the series on TV, I did prefer Lost Evolution though. That being said, Xros Wars added some really cool elements and the fact that it wasn't just Xros-evolving the characters from the series, for example if you Xros'd Agumon and Coronamon you'd get Agunimon (but only for one fight) and due to this the difficulty spikes all over the place as having Champion levels on your team means that you can Xros Ultimates or Megas so you need to always, always have Xros Digimon on your team.

Interestingly enough, it's the first Digimon game where it's feasible to keep an Agumon or whatever all the way through, as Xros evolution is based on level.

Check this FAQ for more

I got side-tracked somewhat but I really do hope this gets a translation and with the recent announcement of the One Piece game not only being translated but ported to three different platforms that Japan didn't have it on, I wonder whether we'd get it on PS3, 360 and PSV. I reckon I'd still get it on the Vita though.

Dambrosi

Banned
Not only that but the last few games got localised when there was no on-air series hence the bad sales.

Now we have Xros Wars (or Fusion something) on Western TV (at least the US and UK), card lines, I saw the toys when I was out shopping the other day as well. Why not video games?

My personal hope is that we get a localisation of Super Xros Wars Blue and Red, I think that's most likely at this point as that's the series on TV, I did prefer Lost Evolution though. That being said, Xros Wars added some really cool elements and the fact that it wasn't just Xros-evolving the characters from the series, for example if you Xros'd Agumon and Coronamon you'd get Agunimon (but only for one fight) and due to this the difficulty spikes all over the place as having Champion levels on your team means that you can Xros Ultimates or Megas so you need to always, always have Xros Digimon on your team.

Interestingly enough, it's the first Digimon game where it's feasible to keep an Agumon or whatever all the way through, as Xros evolution is based on level.

Check this FAQ for more

I got side-tracked somewhat but I really do hope this gets a translation and with the recent announcement of the One Piece game not only being translated but ported to three different platforms that Japan didn't have it on, I wonder whether we'd get it on PS3, 360 and PSV. I reckon I'd still get it on the Vita though.
A PS3 version would be cool. Though I'll take a Vita PSN version in the absence of anything else, obv :p And I agree that it's quite likely that NB will release this in the West, what with the current Digimon blitz and all.

A western release for Gundam EX Vs or Gundam Breaker would be better, though. It's a pity Gundam Build Fighters isn't on UK TV dubbed like Digimon Xros Wars is.

Teenage kid walking around with Angewoman just seems kinda weird to me. Like, she would only ever evolve to that stage for fights in the series and she ha a young girl as a human, so nothing too suspect could happen. This kid is totally hooking up with that Angewoman. No doubt about it.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Awesome :)

I know its bullshot, but still...

The style helps a lot, because imo there's nothing THAT impressive or impossible to do on Vita, remember that Vita had Killzone Mercenaries, Toukiden and other awesome looking games.

Shinriji

The style helps a lot, because imo there's nothing THAT impressive or impossible to do on Vita, remember that Vita had Killzone Mercenaries, Toukiden and other awesome looking games.

People often forget that Bamco were graphical wizards with the PSP.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Other than the ridiculous AA and some of those shadows it's pretty much on par with Akiba's Trip 2 graphically. Doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.

I. Need. This. Game.

Thank God Digimon is back on TV and hopefully they'll do what they did with One Piece and port it to other systems for the West

I'd still buy it on Vita-only

Takao

Banned
Translation of the article attached to those screenshots from before:

A New Title for Adult Digimon Fans

Over seven years have passed since the start of the Digimon Story series, and fans who were elementary school students at the time have become adults. So, together with the game concept of the Digimon series, which includes exploration, training, and battle, this game sees a full scale renewal on visuals and world outlook, and might also interest fans who’ve never played a Digimon game. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth is a cyberpunk training RPG where players are tasked with investigating mysterious incidents occurring in the real world and cyberspace.

Explore the Real World and Cyberspace

Become a detective and solve incidents occurring in the real world and cyberspace, while using your Digimon to fight in battles.

Adventure - Become a cyber detective and take on the mysterious incidents occurring in the real world and cyberspace. While traveling between worlds, making full use of the protagonist and his Digimon, go and explore the case.
Training - Simultaneously train multiple Digimon. Collect a large number of Digimon, train and evolve them, and assemble the strongest team.
Battle - Battle against the strongest Digimon via the “Wait Turn” battle system. Bring together Digimon of various sizes and challenge the fight.

Cyberspace and Digital Monsters

Near future, Japan. Internet access has become a visual and multi-sensory experience. To the people using it, it has become like an alternate cyberspace, protected by strong security measures. Nevertheless, as people’s lives get more and more involved, crimes start to occur. Among others, viruses created by powerful hackers are dealing a lot of damage. These virus programs carry an AI that collect and absorb every possible piece of information, and depending on circumstances they can evolve in different ways. The hackers called those viruses Digital Monsters.

Lose Your Body and Become a Cyber Sleuth

The hero of this work is enticed by rumors of the hackers. He obtains a “Digimon Capture” device from someone he met on the net, and following rumors about Digimon appearing, he logs in to the lowest layer of cyberspace. However, because of a sudden malfunction in the cyberspace system, his virtual self gets damaged and gets separated from his physical body without being able to return to it. And at the same time, data from the cyberspace begins materializing in the city, and a strange phenomenon begins.

“Connect Jump,” the Hero’s Special Ability

Mysterious incidents will often occur in the town. Having become a “Data Body,” the protagonist can freely travel into cyberspace via Terminal locations by making use of his special “Connect Jump” ability. Pursue the criminals and expose the truth behind the incidents.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2014/03/digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-details-screenshots#JUm8LbC49Oeu0SVc.99

Damn, this game looks good. Shame the Xros Wars dub is apparently just plain awful, though I'm not surprised, I knew it was probably gonna suck the moment they decided to go with the anachronistic practice of changing the names for the dub.

Let's hope Bamco localizes this along with Adventure and the 3DS re-release of Re:Digitize. Lost Evolution and Super Xros Wars are lost causes at this point, sadly.

RalchAC

Damn, this game looks good. Shame the Xros Wars dub is apparently just plain awful, though I'm not surprised, I knew it was probably gonna suck the moment they decided to go with the anachronistic practice of changing the names for the dub.

Let's hope Bamco localizes this along with Adventure and the 3DS re-release of Re:Digitize. Lost Evolution and Super Xros Wars are lost causes at this point, sadly.

Wasn't Digimon dubs always like that? Daisuke is Davis (in the spanish dub), Takeru is TK and his brother is Matt.

Kid shows have been adapted for a long time this way.

Wasn't Digimon dubs always like that? Daisuke is Davis (in the spanish dub), Takeru is TK and his brother is Matt.

Kid shows have been adapted for a long time this way.
Well, yeah, but that was back in the day when the practice was acceptable/tolerated. Then anime fans were soured by stuff like 4Kids' dubs, and it's becoming increasingly unpopular with dubs over the past several years, mostly. When you have shows like Naruto printing money with very few dub changes and Funimation spearheading faithful dub efforts and making plenty of moolah off them (even Dragon Ball Z Kai stays as close to the source material as possible despite being stuck with the dub names/terms, which were actually fairly faithful anyway), you know the age of 'sanitized' and 'westernized' anime dubbing is over, aside from a couple of holdouts who obviously haven't caught on yet or strictly adhere to the Grandfather Clause for older franchises, such as Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, or shows forced to make changes by the network (which are quickly reverted once the show is aired online or sold on DVD/Blu-Ray).

The problem with using the Grandfather Clause with Digimon is that, firstly, Digimon is known for being incredibly inconsistent with its dubs. With Adventure, all the kids got new names, there's a lot of evidence that those names are merely nicknames, because, aside from Tai and Kari, whose surname was changed from 'Yagami' to 'Kamiya' for absolutely no reason (Hikari, by the way, means 'light'. Yes, this was years before Death Note, crazy, huh?), nobody else had their surname changed despite the dubbers trying to avoid any references to Japan until Adventure 02 permanently ruined any notion that either series took plan anywhere but Japan thanks to the World Tour arc. Same thing with 02, but for some inexplicable reason some names for blatantly english-speaking characters were changed for no reason, especially Wallace, who had his name changed to 'Willis'. Then things started getting schizophrenic during Tamers, where they didn't even bother to westernize any names aside from Jianliang Lee/Henry Wong, who still had a generic Chinese-sounding surname. Everyone else either had their names changed to something that still reasonably Japanese, possibly for the sake of pronunciation (Takato Matsuda was now Takato Matsuki and Ruki Makino was now Rika Nonoka) despite few of the original names not really being easy to pronounce in the first place, everyone else had their names left intact, especially the foreign characters. Frontier and Savers/Data Squad went for an odd mixture of Adventure/02 and Tamers, with some characters getting new English names but others being left intact for seemingly arbitrary reasons (especially when Savers was fairly blatant about taking place in Japan), and from what I know about the Xros Wars dub, we're right back to everyone's names getting changed because they think kids are idiots.

And secondly, I don't think I need to tell you that, in this day and age, trying to 'westernize' a series that blatantly takes place in Japan is intellectually insulting to viewers, especially children. Kids are smarter than adults give them credit for, and when they can instantly look up information on their favorite stuff on the internet, they're gonna find out about the original names sooner or later.

And it's quite possible Bamco doesn't give a shit, because it's ignored dub names and terms in the past with its games. Digimon World DS had cameo appearances from the main trio of Savers as their own unique side-quest line - this was a year before Savers was dubbed or even ready to dub, and the localizers obviously didn't bother with asking what the planned dub names were. Digimon World Data Squad used dub names, but hilariously jettisoned the term "D.N.A" that had replaced "Digisoul" and used the original term instead (which is good, because Digisoul is a much better term for what was basically Spiral Power/Getter Rays rather than the horribly generic and clinical "D.N.A" term). You'd think the voice actors would've brought that up, but apparently they didn't care either. And then there's Demon, who used to be Creepymon, but now they call him Daemon. And there's probably other examples around the place as well.

tl;dr: 'westernizing' character names is an anachronism in the internet age, Digimon was always fairly inconsistent about it, and Bamco has been known to ignore dub changes when it feels like it. So, yeah.

Rootbeer

Banned
This is the kind of game I can see generating some interest in the Vita... Pokemon did amazingly well here in Western territories... having a game somewhat similar in both gameplay and aesthetics (only WAY better looking imo) could move some units... but I should start getting used to the idea of never playing this cause it's probably a pipedream for me :(

I think Digimon, with the right push, could really be revitalized as a brand in the west. Bandai pulled it off with Tamagotchi years ago, but didn't keep the momentum going for some reason. If Bamco actually played their cards right, a Digimon game in the vein of the classic V-Pets could be an absolute sensation on smartphones on both sides of the Pacific - a game like that would be absolutely perfect for the platform.

First time seeing this...it looks fantastic! Love Digimon and always enjoyed playing Digimon games (even though they haven't been that great). The game looks pretty polished from the few screens and trailer but I dunno...trying not to get my hopes up. Especially since we most likely aren't going to be seeing this in the west.

Shame :/

Well, there's always importing. Remember, the Vita is region-free.

I've also pondered why Digimon 'lost the war', so to speak, and it somewhat comes down to a few reasons. I don't think the quality of the first three anime series contributed, Digimon was always better than Pokemon in the animated series department hands-down (even Frontier, which had its problems). Everything else, on the other hand...

• Hardware, Software, and Social Connectivity: To make a quick comparison, Digimon started out as the 'boys counterpart' to Tamagotchi - in other words, a Virtual Pet, able to connect to other Digimon devices for battling and so on. Small devices with simple black and white screens. By comparison, Pokemon Red and Blue was a much more sophisticated game on a much more sophisticated system, and it was a big contributor to the Game Boy's dominance back in the day. While Digimon V-Pets were much cheaper, you simply couldn't compete with that. Bandai's attempts to rectify this were mainly on the Playstation, and despite the PSX's success, this was a big mistake, and this wasn't helped by Bandai's inability to stick to a proven formula. The biggest draws of Pokemon and Digimon were the social aspect, being able to connect with other devices, trade and compete with other players, anywhere, anytime. You simply couldn't do this with the PSX. There was the Wonderswan, Bandai's own answer to the Game Boy line, but...
  • The Wonderswan never left Japan: The West would never be able to experience localized Wonderswan titles. The most anyone could get was the poorly-translated Hong Kong version. And the Wonderswan was crushed by the Game Boy Colour, and later the GBA. Bandai basically conceded defeat by porting the Digimon Battle Spirit games to the GBA... But not Battle Spirit 1.5, the jerks.
  • Monster Designs: While Digimon designs today are cleaner and less freaky, the original art back in the day was, well... 'Edgy'. While I don't know if this really had an effect, I imagine the original art for Greymon or Birdramon must've turned SOMEONE off.

However, it's quite possible to wipe the slate clean, so to speak. Nintendo are never going to commit to smartphones, so Bandai could, if they wanted to, capture the 'mons' genre on the platform with a great Digimon game. They already have an established bestiary of hundreds of mons to work with, meaning a huge head start over competitors.

RalchAC

tl;dr: 'westernizing' character names is an anachronism in the internet age, Digimon was always fairly inconsistent about it, and Bamco has been known to ignore dub changes when it feels like it. So, yeah.

Really interesting comment. I wasn't informed about how digimon did this after Data Squad (5?) to be honest. I'm not a big fan of westernized games, especially when you do some kind of weird mix (like real world Myotismon Arc, they're in Japan yet they had western names). The most important think is to keep things consistent, if you make a decision, you should be firm about it.

I think Persona 4 is a pretty good example of 100% Japanese (aside Teddie, but they need to do it so we could understand the joke) and Pokemon is a nice example of westernized names. I like the latter approach because they change the creatures name to english or latin ones makes them easy to remember. I haven't payed attention to it since gen 3 or 4, so I dunno if things have changed.

I think Digimon, with the right push, could really be revitalized as a brand in the west. Bandai pulled it off with Tamagotchi years ago, but didn't keep the momentum going for some reason. If Bamco actually played their cards right, a Digimon game in the vein of the classic V-Pets could be an absolute sensation on smartphones on both sides of the Pacific - a game like that would be absolutely perfect for the platform.

DigiPou? Kidding :)

I think they should try to make things simple. New show more in the vein of the original where characters live an adventure in the Digimon world. Not weird mixes xD

Release new console/handheld games which will be promoted while the show is airing (multiple platforms, like that OP game) and a F2P game for smart devices (something like P&D would be really good). Add some merchandising to the mix (maybe even a Skylanders kind of game to push the figurines) and we are ready to go.

And upload fucking Digimon games to PSN. Digimon World 1-3 + Digimon Rumble Arena 1-2 please. The latter were fucking awesome. I played the PS2 smash clone a lot with a friend while I was a 12.

Really interesting comment. I wasn't informed about how digimon did this after Data Squad (5?) to be honest. I'm not a big fan of westernized games, especially when you do some kind of weird mix (like real world Myotismon Arc, they're in Japan yet they had western names). The most important think is to keep things consistent, if you make a decision, you should be firm about it.

I think Persona 4 is a pretty good example of 100% Japanese (aside Teddie, but they need to do it so we could understand the joke) and Pokemon is a nice example of westernized names. I like the latter approach because they change the creatures name to english or latin ones makes them easy to remember. I haven't payed attention to it since gen 3 or 4, so I dunno if things have changed.

Pokemon is somewhat more reasonable in this regard, they've moved away from Japanese-inspired regions towards more western ones, anyway - Unova is based on New York, and Kalos is France. Pokemon had a much firmer Grandfather Clause, and the original Gen 1 Pokemon names were hilariously bad, anyway.

DigiPou? Kidding :)

I think they should try to make things simple. New show more in the vein of the original where characters live an adventure in the Digimon world. Not weird mixes xD

Release new console/handheld games which will be promoted while the show is airing (multiple platforms, like that OP game) and a F2P game for smart devices (something like P&D would be really good). Add some merchandising to the mix (maybe even a Skylanders kind of game to push the figurines) and we are ready to go.

And upload fucking Digimon games to PSN. Digimon World 1-3 + Digimon Rumble Arena 1-2 please. The latter were fucking awesome. I played the PS2 smash clone a lot with a friend while I was a 12.

That's mostly my thoughts. A multi-pronged strategy consisting of a F2P mobile game, a new TV series, and larger-scaled titles on consoles/dedicated handhelds, with some merch on the side. Digimon already has a sorta reasonably healthy mixture of most of this in Japan (mainly lacking console and smartphone releases), Xros Wars sold a shitton of merch, if I recall correctly, despite mediocre viewership. Xros Wars itself was a decent show, but Young Hunters sucked, if mainly because its protagonist was an annoying brat who never got any character development, and the show was too episodic, the plot never got anywhere until the last few episodes, which was basically one big crossover that was marred by said protagonist hogging the damn spotlight by virtue of well, being the protagonist, while everyone else ended up being virtually useless. On the bright side, we got Masaru beating the absolute shit out of some VenomMyotismon/MaloMyotismon with his bare hands.

You'd think with Japan's increasing obsession with smartphones, that Bamco would realize it has a potential goldmine on its hands. Evidently not, though.

Top Bottom