• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: [4K] InFamous First Light - PS4 Pro Upgrade Analysed!

eyesradar

First Light was one of the first game I've tried after I booted up my Pro.

Actually surprised it performed this better since it's almost a launch title.

onQ123

SMH at Richard still calling checkerboard rendering upscaling & even worse he said "checkerboarding up"

SMH at Richard still calling checkerboard rendering upscaling & even worse he said "checkerboarding up"

Based on his pro analysis and his colleagues, I don't think they are well versed as people believe. All this new stuff is really showing they haven't done the homework past the surface.

Bebpo

Banned
Is the 60fps different than Infamous SS? Because SS was not a smooth 60fps at all from running around the city that I tried. I don't see why FL would have different performance.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I tried this out when I got my Pro and it really cemented for me how much I prefer pretties to performance. Supersampling's a beauty in this game, some details disappear entirely without it.

leng jai

Is the 60fps different than Infamous SS? Because SS was not a smooth 60fps at all from running around the city that I tried. I don't see why FL would have different performance.

First Light's 60fps feels like it dips all the time to me.

BigEmil

Based on his pro analysis and his colleagues, I don't think they are well versed as people believe. All this new stuff is really showing they haven't done the homework past the surface.
That's what I was saying people shouldn't take absolutely everything DF says for granted they can get stuff wrong

icespide

Banned

First Light historically had better performance than Second Son even on the OG PS4

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
First Light's 60fps feels like it dips all the time to me.

This is true from what I played briefly.

The game is a joy when it runs at 60fps but it drops far too much to the point where I just locked it down to 30 for more consistency.

Great to see a much more solid 60fps framerate on the Pro, loads better than the standard PS4. Definitely felt smooth when I had a quick go, will go back and play these again.

Hope Sucker Punch are making another Infamous game.

This game has some super intense eye adaptation / auto vignette. It is constantly going near black on the edges and lightening!

leng jai

Great to see a much more solid 60fps framerate on the Pro, loads better than the standard PS4. Definitely felt smooth when I had a quick go, will go back and play these again.

Hope Sucker Punch are making another Infamous game.

The game was never 60fps on the base PS4 in the first place. It had an unlocked frame rate which went up to about 40fps if I remember correctly.

Adam M

Also they are nitpicking things like they can tell without their frame analysis if it's 59 fps or 60,not just them. The so called pc master race always complaining about headaches due to 139 fps instead of rock solid 144

x3sphere

Been playing Second Son on the Pro, I prefer the framerate option even if it does dip quite often. Game feels awful at at locked 30 once you've experienced the higher frame rate.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I have only covered two Pro games myself but I've done as much research as possible on the subject. That hurts to hear that as I pour a ton of effort into research but I can't be an expert on all things, obviously. Just doing the best I can within my limited space here. :-(

Also they are nitpicking things like they can tell without their frame analysis if it's 59 fps or 60,not just them. The so called pc master race always complaining about headaches due to 139 fps instead of rock solid 144
I can absolutely, 100% tell the difference between 59 and 60fps on a 60hz display. No tools required.

oSoLucky

The game was never 60fps on the base PS4 in the first place. It had an unlocked frame rate which went up to about 40fps if I remember correctly.

It could go up higher than 40. I'm not sure what framerate tests that were done said, but from time to time it hit 60, and those times were beautiful. It stayed in the ballpark of 30-40 most of the time though from what I remember. Surprisingly, most of the times that I can remember seeing it at 60 were during combat, not random traversal.

sn0man

I have only covered two Pro games myself but I've done as much research as possible on the subject. That hurts to hear that as I pour a ton of effort into research but I can't be an expert on all things, obviously. Just doing the best I can within my limited space here. :-(

I can absolutely, 100% tell the difference between 59 and 60fps on a 60hz display. No tools required.

No don't despair. Please keep up the good work. I was pleased to see you drew uncharted 4 to look at things. I also was happy you mentioned load times. Might convince me an SSD is in my future.

Caayn

but.. checkboard is a upscaling technique....whats the problem here?
It's actually called "uprender" duh /s

I agree, although checkerboard is a very impressive upscaling technique. I think it's the baggage that comes with the term upscaling that annoys people.
I see it as a gift that I'm not born with your senses :)

So beautiful! It looks soo good at 50+ fps!

Also, the Pro Upgrade was put together by two Sucker Punch developers, that's really awesome!

Don't mean to offend, It's just the constant guessing i.e. "I think" or "Cerny told me", and the constant bringing up of CheckerBoarding. I have watched several Vids and it's basically the same rhetoric. It's has a soft image? what the hell does that mean without a comprarison to show this soft you supposedly see.

The PS4 Pro has more to it than Soft and CheckerBoarding and the drumbeat of 60fps. Things we don't hear about in the analysis

New ID buffer for tracking triangles and objects, opening the door to advanced spatial and temporal anti-aliasing

Delta colour compression technology arrives in PS4 Pro, maximising memory bandwidth. Not seen in PS4

New features from AMD roadmap - the ability to run two FP16 operations concurrently instead of one FP32, plus the integration of a work scheduler for increased efficiency

Enhanced 16-bit half-float support

This is what I'm talking about when I say surface, it's the constant barrage of checkerboard, framerate, and we some something soft.

Yeah I know, it ran around 30-40fps on the original PS4 but felt better locked to 30fps. Now running at 60fps with only smaller dips, its a big difference.

DieH@rd

Banned
Do they mention the HDR implementation?

I've heard lots of people saying there may be a black crush issue.

Lots of people have 4K TVs whose HDR capability is not reaching full potential. For example, popular Samsung KU6300 line has a very limited color gamut. HDR mode can't show any more colors than the regular game, but TV does not care. It fires up HDR mode all the same which changes the intensity of backlight and distorts the image.

It's compromised experience that many other entry 4K TVs have, which is why I reccomend everyone who is buying 4K TV how to stick to models that have good WCG [with X800D as best entry point].

nOoblet16

But that's like what upscaling means. Converting one lower res video signal to a higher res video signal.

It's definition is not limited to the usual nearest neighbor scaling or other forms of scaling you have seen up until now.

nOoblet16

Yeah I know, it ran around 30-40fps on the original PS4 but felt better locked to 30fps. Now running at 60fps with only smaller dips, its a big difference.

Actually it was the Second Son which was 30-40fps,
First Light actually averaged 40FPS and went up often, it was due to the game not having those DUP checkpoints which seemed to have caused a lower performance in the original.

Considering that it's a usual jump, and one that I expected.

Vashetti

Banned
Lots of people have 4K TVs whose HDR capability is not reaching full potential. For example, popular Samsung KU6300 line has a very limited color gamut. HDR mode can't show any more colors than the regular game, but TV does not care. It fires up HDR mode all the same which changes the intensity of backlight and distorts the image.

It's compromised experience that many other entry 4K TVs have, which is why I reccomend everyone who is buying 4K TV how to stick to models that have good WCG [with X800D as best entry point].

I don't have an HDR TV and booted up First Light when I got my Pro, and I noticed the image seemed a lot darker, like there was black crush, and my set's all calibrated.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Don't mean to offend, It's just the constant guessing i.e. "I think" or "Cerny told me", and the constant bringing up of CheckerBoarding. I have watched several Vids and it's basically the same rhetoric. It's has a soft image? what the hell does that mean without a comprarison to show this soft you supposedly see.

The PS4 Pro has more to it than Soft and CheckerBoarding and the drumbeat of 60fps. Things we don't hear about in the analysis

New ID buffer for tracking triangles and objects, opening the door to advanced spatial and temporal anti-aliasing

Delta colour compression technology arrives in PS4 Pro, maximising memory bandwidth. Not seen in PS4

New features from AMD roadmap - the ability to run two FP16 operations concurrently instead of one FP32, plus the integration of a work scheduler for increased efficiency

This is what I'm talking about when I say surface, it's the constant barrage of checkerboard, framerate, and we some something soft.
I think most of that is better reserved for an actual article. I also find this information very fascinating but we're stuck in the middle here with trying to present to a wide audience.

The problem I have is integrating that type of information in a meaningful way when discussing these games. I'm not convinced all of these elements will play a significant role in the system either - half floats, for instance, is interesting in concept but how useful will it be in practice when developers have to maintain support for the original machine as well. There is certainly an interesting discussion to be had there.

...but, at the same time, I certainly don't believe myself to be a real expert. I'm learning as much as possible, have a passion for tech and am very sensitive to various issues but I'm still just a guy working out of my house who used to do non game related programming as a job (until I left the country). It's enjoyable work.

viHuGi

Banned

They don't know anything about the Console more than we do, there is alot of Customization made by Sony, some that Cerny didn't even talked about (likely), so let's appreciate DF work here instead of critiquing it.

onQ123

but.. checkboard is a upscaling technique....whats the problem here?

No it's not it's a parallel rendering method that's now able to be done with a single GPU because they can run compute & the fixed function pipeline at the same time so instead of GPU-A & GPU-B rendering the odd & even checkerboard fields they are using compute to fill in for the second GPU by using information from the previous frame & other data to create the part of the frame that would have been done by GPU-B.

Not really sure what you mean do you have any pictures.?
Look at the black of the image constantly shifting, on screen edges and even at the middle point of the image. A lot of the game is constantly washing out to black.

These images are captured fractions of a second a part:
startfqskd.png

middlegzs54.png

end1nsro.png

middle2dks0p.png

This is not a PC game you can open up renderdoc and see the individual buffers, drawcalls, etc and point out "oh here they are tracking velocity much more accurately on PS4pro!". There is no point of direct reference to show the difference between native 4k in this title and the checkboarded and upscaled version you have. Likewise you cannot measure or show the difference of an FP16 shader vs an F32 in a console game without knowing where they are before hand, nor can you visually point out the effective usage of better compression.

It is a blackbox with very few analogous points of reference. DF tries to pry open that blackbox with the tools and info available. Spouting technical phrasing coming from SONY without being able to actually discuss its measurable effects on a per-game basis would be rather useless. It would also be highly speculative.

I think most of that is better reserved for an actual article. I also find this information very fascinating but we're stuck in the middle here with trying to present to a wide audience.

The problem I have is integrating that type of information in a meaningful way when discussing these games. I'm not convinced all of these elements will play a significant role in the system either - half floats, for instance, is interesting in concept but how useful will it be in practice when developers have to maintain support for the original machine as well. There is certainly an interesting discussion to be had there.

...but, at the same time, I certainly don't believe myself to be a real expert. I'm learning as much as possible, have a passion for tech and am very sensitive to various issues but I'm still just a guy working out of my house who used to do non game related programming as a job (until I left the country). It's enjoyable work.

Cool, My sincerest apologies.

Actually it was the Second Son which was 30-40fps,
First Light actually averaged 40FPS and went up often, it was due to the game not having those DUP checkpoints which seemed to have caused a lower performance in the original.

Considering that it's a usual jump, and one that I expected.

True, First Light did run better, still the Pro's near constant 60fps is much better though.

thelastword

Banned
Man, DF and Leadbetter must have been playing lots of solid 60fps games on consoles all this time. A game falls to 56fps in the video at worst, it's mostly 60fps, but DF hates playing that way so much...Hell, he's only showing that mode because it's default and what the developer prioritizes. Such crappy framerates is not up to the DF standard surely and it's certainly not the way they like to play.....SMH..

The game has a 30fps capped mode use it, why are you trying to say negatives about a 60fps mode that's mighty impressive? Funny, I've heard some DF staff members say that Ryse has a solid framerate but yet it falls to the teens in many scenes on XB1. I wonder what DF will say next, With Witcher 3's framerate problems or Ryse or Just Cause, should they cap these to 15fps?

I've never seen a couple of frames down from 60fps causing so much pain before. DF staff must have absolutely hated COD on XB1 last gen, because the campaigns there were no way a locked 60fps....

onQ123

But that's like what upscaling means. Converting one lower res video signal to a higher res video signal.

It's definition is not limited to the usual nearest neighbor scaling or other forms of scaling you have seen up until now.

That's not what is happening & if it was happening why would they upscale to 1800 then upscale again to get to 4K?

that should set off a red flag in your mind.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
- 1800p checkerboard with 30fps cap or unlocked framerate (High-Resolution mode)

yooo .. they have unlocked frame rate even at high rez mode ? That's *AWESOME*. Definitely picking up inFamous and the expansion on black friday.

Top Bottom