• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution FSR Review:

It's better IQ, that's how it's better. The cost is super low, 1ms on a mid-range GPU (5700 etc) at 4K (by comparison DLSS is 2.5ms+ for same setup). You're not gonna match the IQ even if you up the res scale + CAS in order to equalise performance, and you're not gonna equalise performance anyway because the difference is too low for how variable game loads are.
I am not sure what that means compared to default upscaling. Is it more or less frames than default upscaling? If less, I dont actually see the point. I'd rather the crisp image of default upscaling than the blur of FSR. I only play at 1440p as I cant really see beyond it anyway. So if i was upscaling it would be 1080p -> 1440p. I dont have a comparison for the two unfortunately. And i dont currently play any of the games with FSR ATM. Though when DOTA's FSR comes about I probably can see it.

Amiga

I am not sure what that means compared to default upscaling. Is it more or less frames than default upscaling? If less, I dont actually see the point. I'd rather the crisp image of default upscaling than the blur of FSR. I only play at 1440p as I cant really see beyond it anyway. So if i was upscaling it would be 1080p -> 1440p. I dont have a comparison for the two unfortunately. And i dont currently play any of the games with FSR ATM. Though when DOTA's FSR comes about I probably can see it.

show the supposed blur on UQ mode please. and let's see the frames gained in exchange. and no zoom please, full screen images or video.

trend of FSR critics so far is that they show no evidence to back up criticism.

DrNeroCF

All this is doing is reminding me how baffling it is that resolution scaling isn’t standard on PC. Let me pick an fps target and dynamically scale FSR’s ‘performance’ based on that. Not really any point in scaling lower if I’m already over my monitor’s max. Seems like a missed opportunity if we’re branding a new tech.

I’d be more interested in seeing how well it can scale from under 1080p for my 5700 on more demanding games.

Most comments on Twitter seem to have no clue that it’s an upscaler (why don’t you use ultra quality when upscaling from 1080p to 4k??).

Also, is there any reason asynchronous reprojection is only used in VR? I’m more annoyed by bad frame pacing and single frame drops than needing to lower the resolution.

show the supposed blur on UQ mode please. and let's see the frames gained in exchange. and no zoom please, full screen images or video.

trend of FSR critics so far is that they show no evidence to back up criticism.
Why no zoom? what is the point of video, it will have artifacts of video compression. I can instantly see it as you move. I use 1440p because i cant see the difference between 1440p and 4k.

Start 45 fps 4k default ray tracing on up to the stairs
1:10 65 fps 4k fsr default ray tracing on up to the stairs
3:10 default 1440p at epic settings Ray tracing on. 85 fps up to the stairs.
3:55 1440p FSR Ultra Quality epic settings with Ray Tracing on. 111fps up to the stairs down.
6:20 default 1080p at epic settings Ray Tracing on. 115fps up to the stairs.

I cant find 1440p screenshot but these are 4k its night and day comparison. The whole screen in 4k FSR UQ looks blurry in comparison to native.

Amiga

Why no zoom? what is the point of video, it will have artifacts of video compression. I can instantly see it as you move. I use 1440p because i cant see the difference between 1440p and 4k.

Start 45 fps 4k default ray tracing on up to the stairs
1:10 65 fps 4k fsr default ray tracing on up to the stairs
3:10 default 1440p at epic settings Ray tracing on. 85 fps up to the stairs.
3:55 1440p FSR Ultra Quality epic settings with Ray Tracing on. 111fps up to the stairs down.
6:20 default 1080p at epic settings Ray Tracing on. 115fps up to the stairs.

I cant find 1440p screenshot but these are 4k its night and day comparison. The whole screen in 4k FSR UQ looks blurry in comparison to native.

I only start to notice on balanced. UQ & Q are fine and you are getting 60% more frames for a barley visible downgrade. the game has motion blur and maybe that is confusing you.

I only start to notice on balanced. UQ & Q are fine and you are getting 60% more frames for a barley visible downgrade. the game has motion blur and maybe that is confusing you.
Those shots i linked are UQ at 4k screenshots. The difference is night and day. I only linked the video for the difference in frame rate. If i was going to sacrifice that much detail, I may as well play at 1080p. If you can see it perhaps you dont need 4k either.

Amiga

Those shots i linked are UQ at 4k screenshots. The difference is night and day. I only linked the video for the difference in frame rate. If i was going to sacrifice that much detail, I may as well play at 1080p. If you can see it perhaps you dont need 4k either.

screenshots are zoomed in so close I can make out the pixels in 4K native.

Marlenus

All this is doing is reminding me how baffling it is that resolution scaling isn’t standard on PC. Let me pick an fps target and dynamically scale FSR’s ‘performance’ based on that. Not really any point in scaling lower if I’m already over my monitor’s max. Seems like a missed opportunity if we’re branding a new tech.

I’d be more interested in seeing how well it can scale from under 1080p for my 5700 on more demanding games.

Most comments on Twitter seem to have no clue that it’s an upscaler (why don’t you use ultra quality when upscaling from 1080p to 4k??).

Also, is there any reason asynchronous reprojection is only used in VR? I’m more annoyed by bad frame pacing and single frame drops than needing to lower the resolution.

That is an option actually but no game has enabled it this way yet. Expect console devs will though if they use FSR.

Looking at DOTA2 where you can use a res scale slider 90% + FSR + 10% RIS looks better to me than Native + 10% RIS. It does not seem to add softness to the overall image but details in the textures stand out without looking over sharpened.

The screenshots i linked arent zoomed in. You can tell because the hud details are in the same place as the video.

Use the TechPowerUp comparison tool. It is very good and makes comparison a lot easier than flicking between. Images.

They also have images for more games than godfall so you get a better idea of how it does overall.

TPU reveiw. Make sure you use the maximize button to view the images correctly.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Tried this in Godfall yesterday, native monitor resolution (2560x1080):

qjW6siMO_o.png

VS FSR UQ:

3xAoN6xE_o.png

Game is so fucking soft (TAA...) in both modes (worse with upscaling obviously), but now let's use DOWNSAMPLING (5120x2160):

azCXGUsg_o.png

FSR UQ:

8jRTcS9p_o.png

FSR Q:

HjJGTw6k_o.png

As I mentioned in some FSR thread (there are too many :messenger_tears_of_joy: ), this tech (and DLSS) is amazing for downsampling, there is jardly any difference. I need this shit implemented in more titles :messenger_beaming:

No need to read the comments, just have a look at the reactions in this thread and see how all that is only brand warring.
I mean, peace folks. At the end of the day, both green and red people will be able to play with better performance. Hooray.

Last edited:
Top Bottom