• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution FSR Review:

TrueLegend

Watch Hardware Unboxed, Gamers Nexus AMD Linus because as much as I respect Alex he dropped the ball on this one. He looked at one instance of TAA and didn't even mention the negatives of TAA like Ghosting. FSR is superior to TAA and is very close to DLSS 2.0 at Native rendering with wide ecosystem supports especially where such a feature is needed like for GTX 1080, 1070, 1060, RX 590, RX580. There is no point to much of DLSS as the graphics card it supports is already capable of 1440p and 4K resolutions. Developers aren't looking to enhance the experience on those cards. They want the GTX 1060 owners to be able to run their games at decent image quality so they can actually increase their sales.

MaKTaiL

I expected a better analysis from Digital Foundry. Hardware Unboxed did a much better job, they even compared Native 1080p to 4K FSR Performance which showed that AMD's solution provides a much better image quality than just running it at the equivalent native resolution.

If TAAU has better image quality than FSR with both at performance mode 1080p, maybe won't be different with both at 1620p (ultra mode).

Maybe a future merge TAAU + FSR. Many research to do.

Last edited:

llien

Thank god we have a place for greenboi to heal the butthurt... :messenger_beaming:

200.gif

Actual reviews focusing on various aspects (most of which do not care about greenboi feelings) are to be found here:

Last edited:

JeloSWE

The Ultra Quality preset looks fine in terms of IQ the others quality it is just worthless.
Still not at the level of DSLL or other good 3rd-party techs.
I would say that FSR is better that simple Bilinear upscaling but a good TAA solution is better than FSR and DLSS 2 is better than most TAA solutions.

assurdum

Banned
Watch Hardware Unboxed, Gamers Nexus AMD Linus because as much as I respect Alex he dropped the ball on this one. He looked at one instance of TAA and didn't even mention the negatives of TAA like Ghosting. FSR is superior to TAA and is very close to DLSS 2.0 at Native rendering with wide ecosystem supports especially where such a feature is needed like for GTX 1080, 1070, 1060, RX 590, RX580. There is no point to much of DLSS as the graphics card it supports is already capable of 1440p and 4K resolutions. Developers aren't looking to enhance the experience on those cards. They want the GTX 1060 owners to be able to run their games at decent image quality so they can actually increase their sales.
Alex to me smell a lot of Nvidia fanboy ...

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Um, It's a single frame spatial upsampler. There is NO motion component. So you aren't being fair saying it doesn't handle motion well. It's doing nothing negative or degrading to a moving image.

that’s not true at all. By being single frame it can cause jitter/noise/loss of details in motion for the exact reason it doesn’t care about it. It’s a problem and I am scratching my head wondering why the hell AMD choose this path.

Bankai

Kinda weird that it isn't put in comparison to DLSS.. which would obviously destroy FidelityFX as a viable option.

I know it's based on a different technique, but lots of people view FidelityFX as an alternative to DLSS (which is really isn't).

Just gonna take time for it to get right hopefully. I'm Team Nvidia, but i'm interested in seeing how this tech helps consoles in the coming years

assurdum

Banned
Gotta wait for RDNA3 if you want real ML based tech from AMD.

This in an ok effort, but can't really compete with the dedicated hardware on nvidia's chips
Where you did read RDNA3 will have on the plan a reconstruction method based to ML? Because if they really wanted it they could use already ML with RDNA2. IMO I think they seem more inclined to follow this path with the possible evolution.

Last edited:

gspat

It's good for what it is.
We'll see if it gets implemented in anything.
If it does, it'll at least make current cards last a bit longer.

JeloSWE

that’s not true at all. By being single frame it can cause jitter/noise/loss of details in motion for the exact reason it doesn’t care about it. It’s a problem and I am scratching my head wondering why the hell AMD choose this path.
Not possible, it's has to do with the lower rendered image instability. eg. TAA/ reflection samling etc. FSR does nothing negative or positive, it's not aware of what were before so it can't be blamed for inconsistencies between frames, again it's all on the lower res image inconsistencies between frames.

TrueLegend

Alex to me smell a lot of Nvidia fanboy ...
Since I am new here my post needs moderator approval but seems like every idiot who has watched this video is running away with "TAA is better than this" which is not true. Also, Alex is not an Nvidia fanboy but he is overly critical even with his less experience as he is a lighting artist and as such has much keener eyes on details and is a self-proclaimed Ray tracing evangelist but 99% of average gamers can't see shit when he talks about to "look at the difference, it is obvious here" especially on Ultra Quality FSR. I mean he is just a mere mortal in front of god-like Anthony. Look at his ray tracing videos and go watch Linus video where the team member try to distinguish if ray tracing looks better than traditional rendering from a user perspective. Not to mention unlike John he doesn't play on HDR and BFI capable display which add far more to final output than ray tracing.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
He is a fan of good technology to me.
He has a very subjective opinion in terms of "good technology". IMO he is very ignorant in terms of hardware specs anyway. He could be exceptional o explain rendering tech but when talks about hardware seems very inexpert. The level of absurdity he spitted out about the series X and ps5 specs, still boggle my mind.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Not possible, it's has to do with the lower rendered image instability. eg. TAA/ reflection samling etc. FSR does nothing negative or positive, it's not aware of what were before so it can't be blamed for inconsistencies between frames, again it's all on the lower res image inconsistencies between frames.

no… I don’t think you understand. If you reconstruct information between a set of pixels as it’s doing, and take no motion data into account, then you have the possibilities of jitters/noise when multiple frames are played back due to the different results per frame being used that are so different in there placement it becomes noticeable. If you were to take motion vectors Into account the image reconstruction would know that a distant fence post would be flickering bright and dark every other frame and would instead either average the output or stick to a singular result. With no motion data there is no intelligence in how this would handle that fence, so on a per frame look it would be ok, but in motion you could get reconstruction inconsistencies that are only shown in motion. That’s the flaw with having no previous or future frames taken into account, motion quality suffers.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
What exactly is subjective? Very good ray-tracing performance? Very good upscaling technique (DLSS)?
DLSS hear him is a godsend. They are people which would spit in his face just for such affirmation. Not sure why you mention raytracing though. But he has definitely opinable stances in many matters. Still if I understood correctly he didn't considered at all the UQ. Hope it's not the case because would be ridiculous. I haven't watched the video but just because I barely stand Alex and his voice, my apologies for that.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

no… I don’t think you understand. If you reconstruct information between a set of pixels as it’s doing, and take no motion data into account, then you have the possibilities of jitters/noise generated by the different results per frame being used that are so different in there placement it becomes noticeable. If you were to take motion vectors I to account the image reconstruction would know that a distant fence post would be flickering bright and dark every other frame and would instead either average the output or stick to result. With no motion data there is no intelligence in how this would handle that fence, so on a per frame look it would be ok, but in motion you could get reconstruction inconsistencies that are only shown in motion. That’s the flaw with having no previous or future frames taken into account, motion quality suffers.
If you see shimmer of flicker it's because the low res image has those artefacts, upscaling the image with Bilinear would show the same amount of flicker that is present in the original image as FSR, you can't blame the flicker on FSR. FSR is a simple spatial upscaler, it's just that it respects edges better than Bilinear does, it doesn't use motion vectors or temporal information as we all know so it unfair and incorrect to say that it introduces errors beyond the source image. The only thing I might agree upon is that the extra sharpness could make the original low res artifacts to stand out a bit more by virtue of sharpening.

TrueLegend

Taking Hardware Unboxed seriously is your first mistake.
Taking Digital foundry too seriously is your mistake. Hardware Unboxed and Gamers Nexus are the only two main channels that actually do the original data plotting for many type of market information unlike Linus tech tips, Pauls Hardware, Bitwit, Jay2cents and Digital Foundry. Watch Steve from Gamers Nexus reply when Linus called him out on what data he based the statement that 3080ti will be incrementally scalped. Both Steves(from GN and HW) and Anthony as well Wendell for Level1tech are known for deeper homework. Alex will take years to be even near to that level.

Rikkori

Since I am new here my post needs moderator approval but seems like every idiot who has watched this video is running away with "TAA is better than this" which is not true. Also, Alex is not an Nvidia fanboy but he is overly critical even with his less experience as he is a lighting artist and as such has much keener eyes on details and is a self-proclaimed Ray tracing evangelist but 99% of average gamers can't see shit when he talks about to "look at the difference, it is obvious here" especially on Ultra Quality FSR. I mean he is just a mere mortal in front of god-like Anthony. Look at his ray tracing videos and go watch Linus video where the team member try to distinguish if ray tracing looks better than traditional rendering from a user perspective. Not to mention unlike John he doesn't play on HDR and BFI capable display which add far more to final output than ray tracing.
How come as a lighting artist he is so quick to praise DLSS but never once mentioned that RT Reflections don't get reconstructed & therefore such cons of the tech are never pointed out by him? An odd omission if he were honest. If we didn't know they get paid by Nvidia (literally) I'd maybe give him the benefit of the doubt but since the interests align only one way...

Pagusas

Elden Member
If you see shimmer of flicker it's because the low res image has those artefacts, upscaling the image with Bilinear would show the same amount of flicker that is present in the original image as FSR, you can't blame the flicker on FSR. FSR is a simple spatial upscaler, it's just that it respects edges better than Bilinear does, it doesn't use motion vectors or temporal information as we all know so it unfair and incorrect to say that it introduces errors beyond the source image. The only thing I might agree upon is that the extra sharpness could make the original low res artifacts to stand out a bit more by virtue of sharpening.

You are frustrating lol, Yes we can blame FSR because it's an upscaling solution that SHOULD be smart enough to deal with these issues, like TAA and DLSS do. They deal with them because they have motion information, something they knew was needed to solve that issue.

if FSA was a still image upscaler, than great! it does its job.... But its not, its an upscaler ment for video games who's competitors all incorporate tools to fix problems it outright ignores. So yes, we can blame it for not doing a good job at what its suppose to be doing.

Last edited:

Banned
so basically, in its current form, it's basically useless and worse than almost anything comparable...

yeah, I expected as much with that example image AMD showed off during the reveal.

so why even bother? if the 2.0 version (should it ever materialize) doesn't drastically change the way it works, I see almost zero utility for it.

DLSS hear him is a godsend. They are people which would spit in his face just for such affirmation. Not sure why you mention raytracing though. But he has definitely opinable stances in many matters.
To me that he is liked a good technology. He liked R'n'C very much. I dunno why you say he is Nvidia fanboy as if he is adult or something. Maybe you need to understand others position.

Pagusas

Elden Member
so basically, in its current form, it's basically useless and worse than almost anything comparable...

yeah, I expected as much with that example image AMD showed off during the reveal.

so why even bother? if the 2.0 version (should it ever materialize) doesn't drastically change the way it works, I see almost zero utility for it.

Well, lets give AMD a chance here, Nvidia's first shot at this was horrible with DLSS 1.0, AMD is trying a different approach and maybe their 2.0 will be as succesfull as DLSS 2.0 was. They've shown with Zen they can be adaptive and changing and listen to feedback. I bet this version of FSA was a knee jerk reaction to DLSS 2.0 eating their lunch, and FSA 2.0 will get a longer baking time to actually give us a good option. If 2.0 ends up good, than 1.0 was worth it for the lessons.

assurdum

Banned
Taking Digital foundry too seriously is your mistake. Hardware Unboxed and Gamers Nexus are the only two main channels that actually do the original data plotting for many type of market information unlike Linus tech tips, Pauls Hardware, Bitwit, Jay2cents and Digital Foundry. Watch Steve from Gamers Nexus reply when Linus called him out on what data he based the statement that 3080ti will be incrementally scalped. Both Steves(from GN and HW) and Anthony as well Wendell for Level1tech are known for deeper homework. Alex will take years to be even near to that level.
Well surely is ridiculous blame others channels to be inexpert and then use DF as a sort of holy bible for such stuff, when the same DF considers Alex the true expert of their staff and say a lot about their knowledge.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

You are frustrating lol, Yes we can blame FSR because it's an upscaling solution that SHOULD be smart enough to deal with these issues, like TAA and DLSS do. They deal with them because they have motion information, something they knew was needed to solve that issue.

if FSA was a still image upscaler, than great! it does its job.... But its not, its an upscaler ment for video games who's competitors all incorporate tools to fix problems it outright ignores. So yes, we can blame it for not doing a good job at what its suppose to be doing.
You are mixing arguments here, its technical aspects is not the same as the problems you want it to solve. I agree it's not that impressive. It does not measure up to DLSS 2, it's also inferior to most Temporal Upsamplers and CBR. But it is still in fact a SINGE FRAME frame upscaler, whether you want it to be or not. We can all whish they had a more mature solution competing with DLSS or a Temporal solution but it's not.

Again, if FSR didn't exist and you just used Bilinear to scale up the image, you would see the same flicker and shimmer between frames. So it's not fair to blame FSR for it.

Whishing for it to be temporally stable will need AMD to release another kind of solution than this is. This has it's uses but it's nothing but an impressive spatial upscaler.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
To me that he is liked a good technology. He liked R'n'C very much. I dunno why you say he is Nvidia fanboy as if he is adult or something. Maybe you need to understand others position.
It's not matter of understand his positions. Alex is very absolutist in his stance, this is why I don't like his opinions at all. He never considers the things from different perspective than just this is better to the other and the other is worse of the other one and so on. It's the typical attitude about a person very young which just like to put the meter to everything and it's all a race for the first place.

Last edited:
It's not matter of understand his positions. Alex is very absolutist in his stance, this is why I don't like his opinions at all. He never considers the things from different perspective than just this is better to the other and the other is worse of the other one and so on. It's the typical attitude about a person very young which just like to put the meter to everything and it's all a race for the first place.
I can write many things but can you explain more about "He never considers the things from different perspective...". Maybe examples? I have no problem with that, that's why I'm asking.

ethomaz

Banned
I thinking people are missing the overall picture the DF tried to pass.

FSR gives worst results than TAA.... so one (TAA) is easy be used in all games, engines, hardware etc.... it doesn't need Engine integration or game basis implementation.
While FSR requires Engine integration and implementation on every game.

That is what they asked... it is basically an option that doesn't give any advantage over others options.... even the simple ones like TAA.

If you look at others reviewers they are saying the same... well except the Hardware Unboxed lol

Last edited:
I thinking people are missing the overall picture the DF tried to pass.

FSR gives worst results than TAA.... so one (TAA) is easy be used in all games, engines, hardware etc.... it doesn't need Engine integration or game basis implementation.
While FSR requires Engine integration and implementation on every game.

That is what they asked... it is basically an option that doesn't give any advantage over others options.... even the simple ones like TAA.

If you look at others reviewers they are saying the same... well except the Hardware Unboxed lol
I do not understand why people expecting so much from FSR. There were no basis for that. Also FSR will require money from AMD to implement, lol.
HbereUnboxed are AMD sponsored. Look at them with that perspective and everything will be in place. (take and share "good points" of one company and share "bad" from other)

TrueLegend

Considering this tech supports Nvidia hardware I thought there may be fewer butthurt Nvidia fanboys but I guess Lisa Su needs to give these guys the buttspanking she gave to intel fanboys for the truth to dawn upon on these idiots.

He has a very subjective opinion in terms of "good technology". IMO he is very ignorant in terms of hardware specs anyway. He could be exceptional o explain rendering tech but when talks about hardware seems very inexpert. The level of absurdity he spitted out about the series X and ps5 specs, still boggle my mind.
Well, he compared specs to PC. Then he did an experiment with "Watch Dogs" and came in conclusion that PS5/XsX is about 2060S performance, but without DLSS. Early? Yes. But it's based on what he had at that time. Really no one expected that R'n'C will look so good, so early. DF has made many resembling experiments before, extrapolating performance of the upcoming hardware. But it's not that they can't deny that those where just extrapolations.

Armorian

Banned
Well, he compared specs to PC. Then he did an experiment with "Watch Dogs" and came in conclusion that PS5/XsX is about 2060S performance, but without DLSS. Early? Yes. But it's based on what he had at that time. Really no one expected that R'n'C will look so good, so early. DF has made many resembling experiments before, extrapolating performance of the upcoming hardware. But it's not that they can't deny that those where just extrapolations.

R&C is upscaling (CB) ray traced reflections, so it's limited in the same was as WD. No other game with RT is doing it so far so Insomniac was just smart in using limited HW resources this way (and they didn't do it in SM).

Mentat02

Banned
why can't people just be happy these days. Seems like AMD consumers were expecting something equivalent to Nvidia's AI upscaling.

Its okay your purchase wasn't devalued because AMD is still behind in the upscaling department.

Top Bottom