• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: AMD FSR3 Hands-On: Promising Image Quality, But There Are Problems

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

It's here! AMD has debuted its frame generation technology - FSR 3 - in two titles, Immortals of Aveum and Forspoken. Based on what we're looking at here, AMD has done a great job in producing decent image quality with the generated frames themselves. However, the use of FSR 3 is limited in a number of ways: v-sync off and VRR do not function correctly, while v-sync under heavy GPU load produces off-putting frame-pacing problems. There's promise here, but this is not the finished article.

00:00 Introduction
00:37 Frame Generation: How It Works
01:23 Frame Generation Is Not 'Extra Performance'
02:29 Capturing FSR 3 at 4K 120fps
03:22 Features & Compatibility: FSR 3 vs DLSS 3
04:49 FSR 3 FPS Testing: V-Sync & Frame-Pacing Problems
07:47 FSR 3 FPS Testing: V-Sync Off & VRR Don't Work Properly
11:33 Frame-Rate Testing Summary: FSR 3 Needs Work
12:28 Gameplay Testing: RX 7900 XTX, V-Sync On
13:32 FSR 3 vs DLSS 3 at 4K 120fps
16:10 Frame Generation Latency/AntiLag/AntiLag+
18:00 And Now, The Conclusion

-

Too much PC jargon, plz don't ask me to tl-dr.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Great news. I hope this tech improves and bring much needed competition on the A.I. arena, as it is right now, its still a promise for me, vsync and vrr issues are a no-no to me. But I'm happy to see older hardware benefiting from a tech like this. Not only AMD cards but also the RTX2xxx and RTX3xxx series.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Mike Myers No GIF

Buggy Loop

Is this real? Does DLSS introduce similar lag?

DLSS introduces a 10~12ms latency in most case (always an outlier for shit implementations i would guess if you search for it).

The thing is even without reflex or anti-lag, Nvidia somehow has the latency advantage on AMD as a baseline.

Raw reflex vs anti-lag, the 3070Ti 4K at 109 fps beats the 6700XT 1080p 211 fps in latency

Or this, which is without reflex

fortnite-latency-4070-ti-perf.png

Did anyone measure the AMD FSR 3 with Nvidia's LDAT?

Since Anti-lag+ doesn't work with FSR 3 yet, and nvidia forces reflex implementation for every frame gen supported games, then it'll likely never look favorably for latency tests.

DLSS introduces a 10~12ms latency in most case (always an outlier for shit implementations i would guess if you search for it).

The thing is even without reflex or anti-lag, Nvidia somehow has the latency advantage on AMD as a baseline.

Raw reflex vs anti-lag, the 3070Ti 4K at 109 fps beats the 6700XT 1080p 211 fps in latency

Or this, which is without reflex

fortnite-latency-4070-ti-perf.png

Did anyone measure the AMD FSR 3 with Nvidia's LDAT?

Since Anti-lag+ doesn't work with FSR 3 yet, and nvidia forces reflex implementation for every frame gen supported games, then it'll likely never look favorably for latency tests.
Thanks for hunting this down for me. I never knew about these lag numbers and it's shocking.
That Igor site is nice that it translates for me.

Top Bottom