• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Borderlands 3 Tech Analysis: PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X Graphics Comparison!

CrisPy2019

Man Pro and X running both at 1080p60 is a joke. (Or 1800p30)

At least make it dynamic on the X and Pro with the X going a bit higher.

And the Pro even has higher visual settings. Gearbox are you stupid? No let me rephrase that HOW stupid are you?(you being stupid is a fact now after all the BL3 mess and now this)

Cant imagine how the base models will play it. If it's not both 1080p30 but instead 900p30 on base Xbox then yeah joke.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
fucking idiots.
game is still fun

but fucking hell man day 1 buyers get fucked as usual reaaally puts me off modern gaming at times.
maybe that's why i keep fing rebuying games like diablo 3

Ulysses 31

2437439-9567686647-thebe.jpg

Last edited:

Dante83

Banned
I was playing it on ps4 pro on 4k, and it was a mess. I had to go down to 1080p, and while it felt better, there is a sense of stuttering going on whenever I get into a battle. This is one of my more anticipated games, and to see it run inconsistently on the pro, is disappointing...I can only imagine how the base ps4 would run...

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
I am okay with 1080p 60 fps target on PRO ...should have tried a bit more on Xbx X though.

Last edited:

FMXVII

Even on a Pro, in "Performance" Mode, the aiming is complete and utter shite.

Heavens forbid you try to ADS.

rubhen925

I don't necessarily have any problems with the aiming as I hip fire a lot. The problem is audio bugs and glitches. I was recording a walkthrough and there was literally no audio fro. The game for 40 mins. It happens more often now and the go as after reaching the 4th planet is really inconsistent....

Barakov

As someone who plays on PS4Pro and not persceptive to fps drops: It's fine...ish. Defintitely not Gearbox's finest showing on the technical front. I'm not exactly bothered by technical hiccups but I'll definitely be checking the steam version down the line.

So a quickfix would be an optional 1080p/30 "stable mode" on Pro, add some more visual fidelity (since there is tons of headroom at 1080p/30) and people should be happy with that for the time being. I'd personally prefer playing it that way at least.

I'm going to wait for the GotY on PC anyways.

PC is not doing any better either with DX12 being pretty much dead among many other issues so yeah, fuck Randy fuck these ongoing launch issues with games these days. I suppose the Steam release date will be the proper game.

this game it's technically a bad joke ... 7 years in development on well known UE4 and the results are ridiculous bad......

ruvikx

Banned
....wat? These seem to be completely compatible.

Far too many games over the past year or so are running like shit on the 2013 consoles. It's a disgrace. Usually at this point of a console's lifecycle developers have mastered the platform to an extent whereby games look & run better than ever. But that's not the case anymore, i.e. we're seeing a total regression in all the major releases. I blame the Pro & X versions a lot (i.e. devs now target the higher spec consoles to the detriment of optimizing the base machines which most people own), but it's also a problem with the devs themselves & their game engines. There's nothing stopping games running fantastically (yes, even at 60 fps) on a 2013 console & no, just because it's six years old it doesn't mean everything should run & look like shit on it. Imagine if stuff like Borderlands 3, Anthem, Metro Exodus, Assassin's Creed Odyssey & Control were released back in 2014 in their current state on the base machines? People would have (rightly) shat all over the disgusting performance. Pro tip to the developers: make your games based upon the technology most consumers own & then add some bells & whistles for higher end machines.

Right now I believe we're seeing the opposite, i.e. devs target the Pro, X & super powered PC's because that's what looks "cool" in gameplay clips & that's what reviewers test the games on. Base PS4 & Xbox get the unoptimized "we're just shitting this thing out there" version of the game. Not cool.

Last edited:
Far too many games over the past year or so are running like shit on the 2013 consoles. It's a disgrace. Usually at this point of a console's lifecycle developers have mastered the platform to an extent whereby games look & run better than ever. But that's not the case anymore, i.e. we're seeing a total regression in all the major releases. I blame the Pro & X versions a lot (i.e. devs now target the higher spec consoles to the detriment of optimizing the base machines which most people own), but it's also a problem with the devs themselves & their game engines. There's nothing stopping games running fantastically (yes, even at 60 fps) on a 2013 console & no, just because it's six years old it doesn't mean everything should run & look like shit on it. Imagine if stuff like Borderlands 3, Anthem, Metro Exodus, Assassin's Creed Odyssey & Control were released back in 2014 in their current state on the base machines? People would have (rightly) shat all over the disgusting performance. Pro tip to the developers: make your games based upon the technology most consumers own & then add some bells & whistles for higher end machines.

Right now I believe we're seeing the opposite, i.e. devs target the Pro, X & super powered PC's because that's what looks "cool" in gameplay clips & that's what reviewers test the games on. Base PS4 & Xbox get the unoptimized "we're just shitting this thing out there" version of the game. Not cool.
the problem are not this incompetent developers........
MS and Sony can easily force the developers to make a 100% stable 30/60FPS games..... when they not follow than no license to publish on xbox or ps4 platforms.
problem solved.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
....... framerate has nothing to do with gameplay? ... ok dude.....

15 fps on xbox s and ps4.......

Yep. Good luck "playing" a game when the framerate is jumping around all over the place & timing whatever control input is needed becomes a total random chore.

the problem are not this incompetent developers........
MS and Sony can easily force the developers to make a 100% stable 30/60FPS games..... when they not follow than no license to publish on xbox or ps4 platforms.
problem solved.
game.....

I often use Witcher 3 as an example (i.e. it's not just about resolution either): entire areas of the game on the base ps4 hurt my eyes because the framerate sucks & the antialiasing is bad. Yet what am I looking at on screen? Foliage blowing around all over the place with leaves flying through the air, mist rising & a whole load of details which are totally unnecessary from an artistic viewpoint. It's like they made the game with the high end pc's in mind & then "baited" console players into getting better hardware to enjoy the full experience.

I love that game, but holy hell it runs like crap on consoles. Meanwhile stick God of War 3 remaster on (with its foliage & Mount Olympus) & the image quality is a lot cleaner + it runs at 60 fps. That's why I say it's the dev's fault as well because they're not utilizing the technology properly & they're (in most cases) aiming far above what the machinery can handle. It's either dumb or greedy. It would be like creating Avatar (the Cameron movie) quality graphics, getting a shitty framerate on the next gen PS5 console & then saying "You need to spend thousands of dollars on powerful hardware to run this thing!". That's an extreme analogy but the point remains.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
What a stupid argument to have... Enjoy your 6th Gears game, when Borderlands is on its 4th? Gears is the same game for 13 years, yet has added open world areas, vehicles etc, yet Borderlands hasn't changed a single thing other than remove a weapon type in 10 years...?

I mean, come on, move the goalposts a little, but this is essentially putting them on a different field.

I enjoy BOTH Gears and Borderlands, but Borderlands is essentially more of the same, again, while Gears is at least trying to do something different. And yes, I agree, aiming in Borderlands has ALWAYS been awful on console. Not one single change has happened to help things in that area.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
What a stupid argument to have... Enjoy your 6th Gears game, when Borderlands is on its 4th? Gears is the same game for 13 years, yet has added open world areas, vehicles etc, yet Borderlands hasn't changed a single thing other than remove a weapon type in 10 years...?

I mean, come on, move the goalposts a little, but this is essentially putting them on a different field.

I enjoy BOTH Gears and Borderlands, but Borderlands is essentially more of the same, again, while Gears is at least trying to do something different. And yes, I agree, aiming in Borderlands has ALWAYS been awful on console. Not once single change has happened to help things in that area.

Its so obvious hes not played Gears 5 and maybe not any Gears game ... of course i was just talking about graphics .. since thats what this thread is about.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
if you get the game on the xbox one x.
it's alright. But i don't think the game looks good in 1080. framerate is unstable and jaggies in a lot of spaces.
30 fps seems nearly locked and fun to play, If you can handle 30 fps.

Both this and Gears 5 are running on UE4.

Just goes to show how much difference implementation can have, even on the same base engine.

The Coalition really nailed UE4.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Gears has been the same game for 13 years. People that weigh 300lbs, run like they have a shitty diaper, and hide in cover. Amazing.

"run like they have a shiity diaper" lol omg I usually say "like they are drunk morons" but yeah you hit it on the money. My biggest turn off about tht damn game.

But back on topic this performance has me passing on the game. Bargain bin 20 purchase when it inevitably drops.

Last edited:

scalman

pc version doing just fine with dx11 so far and doesnt need high specs too. dx12 will be fixed later i guess, i dont see problem here, but sure it could run better on consoles i guess. will take it for pc still and try, well i know for me it will be fine, just have fun with game, if not just leave it . wait for steam a year ?? plz when it will come out on steam it will be so outdated you wouldnt want look at it .

Thaedolus

Yeah I get all that, hence “this runs like crap” seems to be true and “this generation needs to end” also seems to be true? Why pick one? The CPUs in this gen’s consoles were obsolete upon release. They’re way overdue to be replaced

FMXVII

Yeah I get all that, hence “this runs like crap” seems to be true and “this generation needs to end” also seems to be true? Why pick one? The CPUs in this gen’s consoles were obsolete upon release. They’re way overdue to be replaced

I think he means that the games run like crap, and the devs of those game use "this gen needs to die" as a cop out for making shite games, when other devs are clearly illustrating that this does not needs be case.

Thaedolus

I think he means that the games run like crap, and the devs of those game use "this gen needs to die" as a cop out for making shite games, when other devs are clearly illustrating that this does not needs be case.
Oooohhhh...still think it’s worded oddly but I think I get the point now

Pagusas

Elden Member
So on Pc I’ve been experimenting with every setting possible, benchmarking and playing.

The only no hitch solution I’ve found so far is: DX12 mode, everything on high except volumetric fog at medium. That give me 4K/60 on a 1080ti with no stutter, everything is butter smooth 99% of the time. I locked the frame rate to 62fps (the 2 extra seemed to be needed as kicking at 60 with vsync on isn’t as smooth)

BUT there are drawbacks: 1 the game takes like 4 minutes to load (on a Samsung m.2 pro sad no less). Every load of the game takes that 4 minutes, like is the game being recompiled each time???
2 I’ve had 1 crash of the game and one weird instances of random light flashing and the picture going completely black, so it’s not completely stable.

TLDR: pc players, dx12 mode is way smoother, but currently flawed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom