• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] COD Black Ops Cold War: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - Ray Tracing, 120Hz Mode Tests + Series S Analysis!

Riky

$MSFT
This is a win for Series X. As long as PS5 does not support 1440p and VRR, these type of results will favour Xbox as 10 percent FPS drop will easily be ironed out by Freesync on Xbox whereas you will have to feel every hiccup on PS5. Additionally, in order to play at 120, you will have to set your console resolution to 1080p on PS5 if you don't have a HDMI 2.1 TV, whereas you can play at 1440p@120 on Xbox.

Not even mentioning Series X does a significantly better job at 4K@60wRT. I don't understand how some people can be so ignorant and say COD is better on PS5, it is ridiculous.

Exactly in percentage terms just like on Dirt 5 the PS5 frame rate collapses by 25% to 30%. The very small percentage drops on 120hz mode on Series X on ONE scene will be dealt with by VRR but even if you discount that the frame times are so compressed they would be barely noticeable anyway. In percentage terms they are tiny in comparison.

The frame drops were after the RC car moment where it switches back to a non interactive set piece explosion. And its from the scene VGTech pointed out was flawless before a patch, so I expect some issue crept in there that will be remedied

The most intensive scenes in the game 120hz and Xbox is struggling to keep up with PS5 yet again. MS looking foolish now
It's hardly "struggling" as it hits both consoles at the exact same scene in the exact same spot. Other than that, they both maintain a steady 120, not looking foolish in the slightest. The scene doesn't magically change because it's ran on rails for a split second. It's clear that that the PS5 will struggle at the main mode the game will be played in, and thats 60fps RT. As is said around here lots of times, most people dont have a 120 capable TV and most will be playing the RT mode, where Xbox should steam ahead.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

So looking at the same game comparison on the VG Tech video ...

Both versions seem to run at a practically locked 60. I didn't watch 100% of the demo, but a lot of it and only saw one "drop" to 59fps for PS5 for like one second.

What are all these frame drops DF is pointing out? VG Tech put up 15 minutes of gameplay where everything on both consoles looks great, in both modes.

This is such a weird industry in terms of people picking "sides" for "wins." Ugh.

Resenge

Very few people in either camp truly give a shit about 120hz. And even fewer actually own a 120hz TV. I'm just happy we are getting mostly 60fps games now.
I have a 120hz tv and I don't give a shit about 120hz. After all this bullshit subpar 30fps for the past couple of gens, I am happy with 60fps if Devs can actually stick to 60fps, X to doubt though. You know Devs love to push that graphical fidelity.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Gold Member
Nope,

eF1Eb8Q.jpg

KQ6W3GX.jpg

mqyWRh5.jpg

Ray tracing tanked the PS5 in several scenes.
Seconds on a frame graph that. How do they do over a full testing cycle?

E8JD46h.png

PS5 performs better overall with the biggest margin being to PS5 in the 120 fps mode 🤷‍♂️

assurdum

Banned
I believe what's causing the GPU bottleneck is ray-tracing, however we will need to see more games with ray-tracing to know for sure if it's something specific to this game or if PS5's ray-tracing capabilities are worse than Xbox's.

It makes sense for PS5 to be slower in ray-tracing since it has less CUs, but maybe the clockspeeds make up for the lower amount of CUs. We can't know for sure for now. Only time will tell.
Surely ray tracing cause bottlenecks. But doesn't mean because ps5 it has 36 CUs. FPS should stay lower more often in this mode not just in particular situation. Kinda of curious what's going on there, because it seems particular.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Since 99.9% of gamers will use the 60Fps mode it's fair to say that the XSX version takes the cake. I would say DMC and COD goes to team green. It's a very balanced outcome, like most developers suggested.
Didn't Dirt 5 and AC Valhalla runs better on ps5 at 60 fps? But sure let's take as example only the games which runs better on series X why not

This is a win for Series X. As long as PS5 does not support 1440p and VRR, these type of results will favour Xbox as 10 percent FPS drop will easily be ironed out by Freesync on Xbox whereas you will have to feel every hiccup on PS5. Additionally, in order to play at 120, you will have to set your console resolution to 1080p on PS5 if you don't have a HDMI 2.1 TV, whereas you can play at 1440p@120 on Xbox.

Not even mentioning Series X does a significantly better job at 4K@60wRT. I don't understand how some people can be so ignorant and say COD is better on PS5, it is ridiculous.
Sony have already confirmed VRR is getting patched in later. Quite honestly it's a feature (along with 1440p support) that is a nice bonus for those who have it, but so uncommonly niche as to be a nitpick rather than a valid point in XSX's favour.

It's the same token by which I view this as a win for Xbox. So few people will use or be able to even make use of 120fps mode that it really isn't as equal of consideration as the 60fps mode is.

Even then, the number who can use 120fps overwhelmingly dwarfs those who will be playing with VRR. It's just a feeble argument to make.

Since 99.9% of gamers will use the 60Fps mode it's fair to say that the XSX version takes the cake. I would say DMC and COD goes to team green. It's a very balanced outcome, like most developers suggested.
The PlayStation version does have an exclusive deal with Call of Duty however. So you could say you're getting more for your money on the PlayStation side than Xbox.

Sony have already confirmed VRR is getting patched in later. Quite honestly it's a feature (along with 1440p support) that is a nice bonus for those who have it, but so uncommonly niche as to be a nitpick rather than a valid point in XSX's favour.

It's the same token by which I view this as a win for Xbox. So few people will use or be able to even make use of 120fps mode that it really isn't as equal of consideration as the 60fps mode is.

Even then, the number who can use 120fps overwhelmingly dwarfs those who will be playing with VRR. It's just a feeble argument to make.

I partly agree with you. But there are tons of HDMI 2.0b TV's (a lot more than 2.1, been around for couple of years) that either naturally supports 1440p or can be forced to 1440p. So I don't think it's that uncommon but certainly can't be a central point to decide "winner", as you mentioned.

As for VRR, it is exactly as you say but Series X has the upper hand on this one too, as it supports freesync with non-HDMI 2.1 TV's, in contrast to PS5.

jose4gg

Some people saying those drops on PS5 are random and not showing up on their playthroughs? I smell patch incoming.

Pretty much, the scenes where PS5 drops are scripted, no matter how the user interacts, it will be always the exact same explosion and effect, those aren't multiplayer or even campaign playthroughs.

FlyyGOD

Ps5 preform better in 120 fps mode, Series X preforms better in 4k Raytracing mode. How is this a win for ps5 according to fanboys?

Last edited:
Ps5 preform better in 120 fps mode Series X preforms better in 4k Raytracing mode. How is this a win for ps5 according to fanboys?

Seems like there's a massive difference between the two platforms. I'll admit that I was wrong about the two consoles being similar in power

I was making fun of Dealer this whole time but he might be right.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Who cares, just like Valhalla the game is average anyway!

I went back to playing Modern Warfare and sold my PS5 copy. Campaign was also very average.

Last edited:

jose4gg

Ps5 preform better in 120 fps mode Series X preforms better in 4k Raytracing mode. How is this a win for ps5 according to fanboys?

Because the times where PS5 drops frame are scripted and no gameplay like the multiplayer mode, where the 120fps mode is consistent, no matter if scripted or not, and in multiplayer it will be noticeable.

Last edited:

geordiemp

E8JD46h.png

PS5 performs better overall with the biggest margin being to PS5 in the 120 fps mode 🤷‍♂️

Statistics always tells the proper story when they are available, rather than screen shotting when each dips.

Both look good, series S sucks.

But try explaining that to Riky Riky lol, I wont bother.

Anyway, Just bought COD, I like a bit of COD, more multi than a campaign guy with a sprinkle of zombies.

Last edited:

waquzy

How is this a win for Xbox then? This is a tie at best.

Because PS5 dropping to low 40's is much more significant than XSX dropping to 100fps in performance mode. Like DF have mentioned many times, a 30fps drop from 120fps to 90fps is nothing compared to dropping from 60fps to 30fps, where it makes a world of difference. You get it now?!

E8JD46h.png

How do we know those results are valid? I'm going to watch DF video when I can but it doesn't look good.

Chukhopops

Because the times where PS5 drops frame are scripted and no gameplay like the multiplayer mode, where the 120fps mode is consistent, no matter if scripted or not, and in multiplayer it will be noticeable.
PS5 average frame rate: 117.02
XSX average frame rate: 114.93

frame time difference = (1/114.93 - 1/117.02) x 1000 = 0.1554 millisecond

“Noticeable” by a mantis shrimp maybe.

XSS punching above its weight hitting every time through the power of VRR, XSS hitting uppercuts into Sony fanboys ballsacks like a maniac.

Small minor bugs and unfinished tools on PS5.
No need to worry R. Dickbeater has contacted the lazy devs and demanded a fix. /s

On serious note:
Pretty even, COD studios are prob most experienced multiplat makers out there.
Few dips on both sides, slight advantage on XSX by the looks of this.

Hope I will get my PS5 this year so I get to play with the new DualSense.

Elios83

XSX wins this one. Hmm...

There is no real world win in this game.
The game is 99% the same on both.
XSX has a few drops in 120Hz and with a few scaled back effects that DF didn't even notice, PS5 has a few drops in RT 60fps.
Both stick to the frame rate target with pretty much the same settings over 95% of the time.
Both consoles are doing pretty much the same job, here the only losers are those who expected huge differences between the consoles.

Riky

$MSFT
Statistics always tells the proper story when they are available, rather than screen shotting when each dips.

But try explaining that to Riky Riky lol, I wont bother.

Anyway, Just bought COD, I like a bit of COD, more multi than a cmpaign guy with a sprinkle of zombies.

Massive tanking in frame rate affects gameplay badly, no VRR to help out yet either. Those frame times are far larger than the 120hz mode on top so you're really going to feel it and see it.

That's both DMC5 and Black Ops where the Xbox RT mode outperforms the PS5, just like I said it would.

More compute units
Higher Memory Bandwidth.

The things I said would matter when next gen features like RT started happening.

jose4gg

PS5 average frame rate: 117.02
XSX average frame rate: 114.93

frame time difference = (1/114.93 - 1/117.02) x 1000 = 0.1554 millisecond

“Noticeable” by a mantis shrimp maybe.

I'm speaking about actual gameplay experience, meaning the majority of the time, you play the multiplayer in 60fps mode and they both will run it without drops, PS5 is only dropping frames in scripted scenes. You play multiplayer at 120FPS and you will get drops in both machines but PS5 will be more stable, that's IT. That's why I think is a win for the 9TF machine.

Last edited:

J_Gamer.exe

According to VG Tech, this drop is random on the PlayStation 5.

EteydWB.png
jrYcLre.png

Yes possibly a bug, once devs get used to the tools ps5 will march series x in this mode.

🙃

Easy this tools stuff ain't it.

But does suggest strangeness if only happens infrequently.

A closer battle this time, depends on the engines, modes etc but a win for each, so a tie, is a loss for Microsoft and their power narrative.

I see some xbox fans suddenly as soon as series x has a slight advantage forget the tools issue excuses and go back to the power bragging and teraflops.

🙄

PS5 is just a beast given the gpu it has, the efficiency and breakthrough speak for themselves that it can perform so well on par and out perform the 'Worlds ex most powerful console'.

Can't wait to see what happens when real next gen games come and use the geometry engine and io pipeline and are coded for the caches etc. Also use more than 10gb on the series x, what happens then? Genuine question. Doesn't that then slow down the effective bandwidth as it cant access both at the same time?

Top Bottom