• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Dualsense vs DS4 - What have we really learned?

Rich from DF talks about the DualSense reveal

Sony just revealed what the PlayStation 5 DualSense controller looks like - and so Rich dissects the reveal for any and all new information, and stacks up the new pad against the existing DualShock 4. New stuff beyond the physical form factor is actually thin on the ground, but this is our first look at the design sensibilities of the final console - and there's a ton more stuff to dig into.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

Rich points out that the d-pad has echos of the Vita, touchpad has been revamped
USB-C a great upgrade
Share Button replaced by Create Button - speculates that Create Button could allow for direct meme or GIF sharing, maybe even be as in-depth as Nvidia Ansel

s2AbIrU.jpg

“Still expecting a more traditional console form factor but DualSense is first indication of design intended to separate the generations visually.”

qo2aW2p.jpg

Second half of video details benefits of improved haptics. Does sound very cool

h4YICIl.jpg

"described demos created by Astrobot team with properties of multiple surfaces felt in the controller itself, also describes Gran Turismo Sport successfully transmitting differences between different surfaces, also confirmation on active feedback on triggers, imagine feeling semblance of resistance the farther you pull back on bow"

"rumble motors replaced by highly programmable voice coil activators with sit in the left and right grips"

"apparently improved battery"

"likely to be bigger and heavier than DS4"

"DualSense has more features than XsX controller, so likely to cost more to build"

credit DeepEnigma DeepEnigma

Hopefully we learn these light up soon.

eCmLBqc.gif

This would be PERFECT

Last edited:

INC

I'm more interested in their new VR controllers anyway, a pads a pad at the end of the day

Gamernyc78

Banned
He stated what we been stating for months, that starvation of info worked and has everyone in a "thirst" frenzy yet you had others saying it hurt Sony image lol 🤦‍♂️👌

And tht controller is gorgeous and love the evolution. Can't wait to hear about the other features we don't know alot about and innovative leading things thy did like making share button a thing on competing hardware and also leading and expanding on remote play with stuff like share play. Sony be killing it with the software features and hardware add-ons 😊

Last edited:

Fake

I still watching the video, Rich used a bad game example for the feedback on triggers: Crysis 3. IMO one of the best example for the feedback trigger is the first Fable because the main char hand rumble with your joystick and you need to invest skill points for make better accuracy/less rumble.

Crysis 3 on the other hand, he just use a bow with none into precision of an actually bow using. Just push and the arrow go.

Saber

Gold Member
After seeing the video I find it very meh...theres no much to talk about and Rich kinda push again console discussion things I have no interest.

Feels like he didn't have to do this video. Just took advantage of the hype around it.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I still watching the video, Rich used a bad game example for the feedback on triggers: Crysis 3. IMO one of the best example for the feedback trigger is the first Fable because the main char hand rumble with your joystick and you need to invest skill points for make better accuracy/less rumble.

Crysis 3 on the other hand, he just use a bow with none into precision of an actually bow using. Just push and the arrow go.

Crysis 3 has 3 selectable "draw weights." I believe he's suggesting they could replace that entire functionality with just the trigger with the resistance feedback.

Fake

Crysis 3 has 3 selectable "draw weights." I believe he's suggesting they could replace that entire functionality with just the trigger with the resistance feedback.
Had nothing to do with 'game options'. The game don't trasmit to you the feel of using a bow (because Profet is like a superhuman person). If you played Crysis 3, you just push the trigger and he use the bow without any difficult or realism on the screen. Is like firing a gun there. Even if Crysis 3 come to PS5, nothing will change visually this sensation because is the nature of the game. You play as a super soldier, you feel like one.
Thats why I suggest Fable.

Last edited:

yurinka

Touch pad can be turned off? That baterry sucking vampire is the worst
It doesn't consume anything if you don't use it. In any case, when using it consumes the same than an analog. Constant and heavy rumble or using headphones connected to the 3.5 jack for a long period of time is what consumes a lot of battery.

And after that, maybe the light. Let's hope this time they allow us to turn off the light.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Had nothing to do with 'game options'. The game don't trasmit to you the feel of using a bow (because Profet is like a superhuman person). If you played Crysis 3, you just push the trigger and he use the bow without any realism. Is like firing a gun there.
Thats why I suggest Fable.
The point being a game that didn't do a good job of transmitting the feel of a bow, could with resistance triggers... replace the 3 draw weights with just the triggers and the feel of the resistance.

Last edited:

Fake

The point being a game that didn't do a good job of transmitting the feel of a bow, could with resistance triggers... replace the 3 draw weights with just the triggers and the feel of the resistance.
Still nothing will change the nature of the game. Is just like Superman game using a bow.
Unsure if you read my post or not; WTF did I say about game options?
Crysis 3 has 3 selectable "draw weights."

sendit

Generous Sony is back. For those that can't afford a $499+ console, they have a product for you as well. It's called the Playstation 4.

IntentionalPun

Still nothing will change the nature of the game. Is just like Superman game using a bow.
Except it would change the nature of the game. "Draw weights" aren't game options, it's how they translate different bow weights into their controls. Ditching that and going with resistance based bow would be a huge improvement, hence the mention. They specifically brought up a shitty bow mechanic on purpose.

Mokus

He stated what we been stating for months, that starvation of info worked and has everyone in a "thirst" frenzy yet you had others saying it hurt Sony image lol 🤦‍♂️👌

And tht controller is gorgeous and love the evolution. Can't wait to hear about the other features we don't know alot about and innovative leading things thy did like making share button a thing on competing hardware and also leading and expanding on remote play with stuff like share play. Sony be killing it wuth the software features and hardware add-ons 😊
Yeah... we kinda acted like a pack of hungry wolfs. :messenger_beaming:

Fake

Except it would change the nature of the game. "Draw weights" aren't game options, it's how they translate different bow weights into their controls. Ditching that and going with resistance based bow would be a huge improvement, hence the mention. They specifically brought up a shitty bow mechanic on purpose.
Of course will dude. You'll be still playing a super soldier. You'll still making everything a normal human can't do. Why so hard to get that?
Its just like using Mario Kark as a example for the active feedback on triggers. WTH you would use a game with don't have compromise with the reality for test a function with try to mimic the reality? Its just make no sense.

Want better examples? Fable, Elder Scroll Skyrim, Thief, etc...

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
Looks like that hole below the mute symbol is the 3.5 mm jack. Some of you think it isn't because it's a little oval shaped.
I think we're gonna find that DF/Eurogamer have made another mistake. They really aren't having a good time with PS5 info.

Controller has more features eh? That must be the "revolutionary" thing the sony devs were referring to.

The biggest problem I've always had with PS controllers is the positioning of the left analog stick and the dpad and they've dodged it again for next gen.

Curious if sony is going to improve input lag like the XSX controller will over via software

Top Bottom