• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Face-Off: Dragon Age: Inquisition

I'm playing the PS4 version and it's absolutely smooth and great looking considering the cross gen nature.

Same, 15 hours + so far and haven't once went " was that a drop to 25fps there? man that sucked! ". So yeah .... reading this report here you would think the PS4 version drops frames often and it is distracting and affects gameplay. Couldn't be further from the truth.

Anyone reading that going, " oh man the performance of the PS4 version must be bad " has been misled in my personal opinion.

The only distracting thing going on with DA:I is the horrible pathfinding on NPC's and your companions

Arion

I hope the lower performance on the PS4 doesn't become a trend. I prefer better performance over image quality.

TheZink

That's flat out bullshit.

Simply untrue. I played both versions fully patched the latest revision. The frame-rate is completely steady on Xbox One but not on PS4. It's really that simple.
Hey. Serious question. I have both systems and trying to decide which version to buy. Which did you or would you pick it up for?

And that's almost word-for-word from the verdict of the article.
Yes the conclusion is clear.
They could use better wording in some other parts of the text. But don't get me wrong, i'm not saying they are biased. I just have issues with some of the writing, especially in another face-off. I'm just trying to remember which one :p.

jayu26

Lol what, no ones claiming the gap is closing, the XB1 still runs at 900p and PS4 runs at 1080p. But it is a fact that the PS4 can't quite keep up the same framerate as the XB1 under this extra load, there's literally video evidence.

Uh huh! And if you look at video evidence for games like Wolfenstein or Tomb Raider it's the opposite. Now why is that?

EatMyFace

Banned
I really think at this point devs are working harder on getting the XBO version up to snuff while the PS4 can mostly take what they throw at it at 1080p hence games like this and AW where there are some rare and minor framedrops.
MTE. PS4 version seems to run good enough while they focus on optimizing the XBO version. Maybe MS is still sending their wizards to devs to help.

T.O.P

Banned
HAHAHAHA.

No.

Developing for XB1 as a priority and then slapping together a PS4 port is far more believeable. December 6th can't come soon enough to blast this fact-devoid gap-is-closing theory out.

wut

Anyway, about 20 hours in with the PS4 version, game looks beautiful and the drops are barely noticeable (looked rough only a couple of times, especially when i reached the coast)

So you can't really go wrong with either version :)

omonimo

Banned

Simply untrue. I played both versions fully patched the latest revision. The frame-rate is completely steady on Xbox One but not on PS4. It's really that simple.

There's no secret sauce. 1080p is a lot more pixels than 900p and the difference in hardware between XO and PS4 isn't enough to make up the gap in this case. If XO were running at 1080p it would most certainly run worse than the PS4 version but if the PS4 version were dropped to 900p it would also be perfect, I'm quite confident. It's clear that Bioware made a judgement call and determined that the minor dips on PS4 weren't worth dropping the resolution for.

It's extremely easy, actually.
Catch variable fps in some scene? Yeah if you know how work those things.

Seanspeed

Banned
Equivalence can be suggested in many ways. You don't need to use the actual word - perhaps you know that already.

If PS4's occasional framerate dips are not equivalent in magnitude to PS4's persistent resolution advantage in the entirety of the game, then the PS4 should have been the obvious pick. It's called having some perspective.
It is up to individuals to decide what is important or not to them.

Equivalence was never said or suggested, though. Give it up.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hey. Serious question. I have both systems and trying to decide which version to buy. Which did you or would you pick it up for?
Man, as much I'd like to say PS4, I'm actually going to continue playing on XO as the lack of slowdown is quite nice and, on my Kuro plasma, the drop to 900p isn't as problematic as viewing said resolution on an LCD monitor from close proximity.

I'd rather play on the PC (2036p on a 1440p monitor at a stable 30 fps with 4x MSAA looks great) but that version was limited (ie - it expired).

Then gaming bolt is lying, and you are not?
I don't think they are intentionally LYING but it's clear to me that they were unable to properly see the results. Not only was it incredibly obvious to my eyes but the measurements are in line with what I've seen.

VeeP

Uncharted 4 gameplay. It'll be E3 2009 all over again...

I think you should control your hype a little bit bud.

No doubt Naughty Dogs are excellent developers. Since PSOne, they've been putting out graphically gorgeous games. Crash games looked great. The Jak games were top 5 on PS2 (Jak 3 is up there with God of War & Gran Turismo), and Uncharted/Last of Us, wow.

But all those games were at 30 FPS, and Uncharted 4 will be at 60 FPS.

I'm not saying Uncharted 4 won't look good, but I'm just saying if it doesn't look like the best game by a good margin on consoles don't be shocked.

Tobor

The occasional drop in frames does not make up for the loss in resolution. It's that simple.

dark10x

The occasional drop in frames does not make up for the loss in resolution. It's that simple.
I disagree. It depends a lot on the display being used and the viewing distance.

They're both great versions but they each have a caveat that will vary from person to person.

Seriously, though, if you want the best version just get it for the PC.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I hope the lower performance on the PS4 doesn't become a trend. I prefer better performance over image quality.
ACU is the only game where the performance on PS4 is notably worse and even the XBO version runs like shit. Both DA and CoD's drops are rare and minor enough that dropping res would be serious overkill. Hopefully once devs don't have to ship on five platforms, all the versions will get the focus they need to run exactly as intended.

jayu26

I think you should control your hype a little bit bud.

No doubt Naughty Dogs are excellent developers. Since PSOne, they've been putting out graphically gorgeous games. Crash games looked great. The Jak games were top 5 on PS2 (Jak 3 is up there with God of War & Gran Turismo), and Uncharted/Last of Us, wow.

But all those games were at 30 FPS, and Uncharted 4 will be at 60 FPS.

I'm not saying Uncharted 4 won't look good, but I'm just saying if it doesn't look like the best game by a good margin on consoles don't be shocked.

Might want to look into that mate.

omonimo

Banned
omonimo
are you OK ?
please reply if you are heh.
I have just said ps4 not stay frequently at 25 fps. In the battle fps it's extremely variable it goes from 29-26 faster (in some scenario, most it's variable 28-29 from the video at least) not stay frequently in the same level of low performance. That's just what I said my friend. Another weird thing I noticed, it seems these variable fps happens more when transparancies fill the screen. That's weird, knowing the ps4 hardware.

Wow ...

this isn't some twitch based FPS shooter requiring millisecond timing

It is an immersive WRPG

taking " performance " ( which again ... is being built up to be an issue on the PS4 when it is not ) over visuals is hilarious to me.

Utter BS anyway you slice it. Actually playing the game non-stop on the PS4 it is easy to say there is no performance issues. And even if there are, during MASSIVE battles ( there must be something I haven't reached yet ) again it is a WRPG where you are holding down the attack button and waiting for timers on specials. You are not going to accidently miss a headshot or something because the frames skipped a bit lol.

seriously the guy prefers a locked 30fps, then the resolution advantage, that's what he prefers and there is nothing wrong with that, so it's not that simple.

Every time I read one of these DF things I can't shake the feeling that they prefer Microsoft and the Xbox line.

The wording always seems to magnify the shortcomings of the PS4 version of multi-plat titles.

If frame rates drop in both, it's always somehow in a worse spot on the PS4 version, according to the text.

Tobor

I disagree. It depends a lot on the display being used and the viewing distance.

They're both great versions but they each have a caveat that will vary from person to person.

Seriously, though, if you want the best version just get it for the PC.

Nearly everyone has an LCD, you know that. Does anyone even make plasmas anymore?

900P looks like shit on an LCD.

cheezcake

Uh huh! And if you look at video evidence for games like Wolfenstein or Tomb Raider it's the opposite. Now why is that?

They're different games on different engines doing very different things...

Expansive open world game like DA:I could cause a potential CPU bottleneck. Or it might just be that some other effect (like the slightly dialled up tessellation) might have been a bit much for the PS4 to handle on top of the increased res. You are getting way too defensive about this, the PS4 is more powerful but some of you guys act like its some massive gulf whereas in reality its pretty well defined at 50%.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Nearly everyone has an LCD, you know that. Does anyone even make plasmas anymore?

Dark10x has a Kuro and values framerate consistency above all else. For most people the PS4 version would probably get the nod but given his circumstances, it makes sense why he phrased this article the way he did.

Not surprising the PS4 drops a few fps more every now and then it at 40% highers res.
That being said the games looks nice but not impressive even on PC.

d9b

Banned
I'm enjoying this "PS4 have graphics and visuals but XboxOne have better performance in games" new narrative.
PwWGVtg.gif

jayu26

They're different games on different engines doing very different things...

Expansive open world game like DA:I could cause a potential CPU bottleneck. Or it might just be that some other effect (like the slightly dialled up tessellation) might have been a bit much for the PS4 to handle on top of the increased res. You are getting way too defensive about this, the PS4 is more powerful but some of you guys act like its some massive gulf whereas in reality its pretty well defined at 50%.

Not getting defensive. I'm ready it call it like you did.

But it is a fact that the PS4 can't quite keep up the same framerate as the XB1 under this extra load, there's literally video evidence.

Even for open world games. Just look at Infamous.

cheezcake

If you don't mind minor frame-rate dips and feel that image quality is most important, it's easy to recommend the PS4 version. However, those looking for the most stable experience should instead opt for the Xbox One version.

Dark10x literally says if you prefer image quality the PS4 is the obvious choice. Which you clearly do.

Some people may prefer the solid framerate, and hence will want the X1 version.

It's that simple.

QaaQer

This is a dark10x article, right? Excellent work! As a PC guy I highly appreciate the in-depth analysis of the most important settings and the performance impressions from both low end and high end rigs. You even mentioned stuff like ini tweaks and the DRM speculation. I am genuinely impressed by the amount of care you put into this article. Again, nice work.

He is great.

Gattsu25

Banned
Someone else had quite the opposite experience.

What's going on here?
Are you really comparing gamingbolt's technical analysis to DF's? heh

Good article. I picked up the PS4 version before I saw this analysis and the framerate drops are easily noticeable to me, however, I'm loving the resolution.

The problem is...I'm one of those people that will drop any and all settings to get a silky smooth 60fps in PC games...so the minor, but somewhat common framedrops during combat are sticking out to me like a sore thumb.

At least there's no screen tearing this gen

dark10x

Sucks for them. I'm using a Kuro Elite plasma but I capture on an LCD (where 900p really looks a heck of a lot worse).

OLED > Plasma >>>> LCD

Any idea when the Far Cry 4 DF article will be up, dark10x?
I have no clue.

I can say that it took an extra week to get a copy of Dragon Age PS4.

cheezcake

Even for open world games. Just look at Infamous.

Just look at an unrelated first party exclusive with no possible point of direct comparison? Surely you realise the folly in this logic.

Also why bring up infamous? I'm talking solely about DA:I. I'm not making some sweeping statement that the PS4 can't hold as good as a framerate in ANY AND EVERY open world game. I'm just saying that in this specific case the XB1 holds a better framerate with worse graphics.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
No no no no no.

I cannot BELIEVE that people are actually suspecting some sort of bias here. I mean, it absolutely blows my mind though I suppose I shouldn't be surprised anymore.

This is NOT nitpicking. I put a solid 8 hours into the XBone version of the game and it is 99.99999% locked at 30 fps. It just doesn't dip. "I" think that is worth something.

I received the PS4 version later and was actually expecting them to be equal so I was completely surprised and very disappointed when that didn't prove to be the case. It dips far more often than I expected even during normal exploration. It's still much better than any other Bioware console release to date but compared to the completely stable XO version it was a huge disappointment. On the console side I actually prefer building my library on the PS4, it should be noted, so these types of situations are not what I want to see. However, I put aside that bias and present the findings as they are. People are looking for bias where there is none.
What has happened to the the Digital Foundry of last gen then?

TheZink

Man, as much I'd like to say PS4, I'm actually going to continue playing on XO as the lack of slowdown is quite nice and, on my Kuro plasma, the drop to 900p isn't as problematic as viewing said resolution on an LCD monitor from close proximity.

I'd rather play on the PC (2036p on a 1440p monitor at a stable 30 fps with 4x MSAA looks great) but that version was limited (ie - it expired).

I don't think they are intentionally LYING but it's clear to me that they were unable to properly see the results. Not only was it incredibly obvious to my eyes but the measurements are in line with what I've seen.
Thanks so much.

dark10x

Just look at an unrelated first party exclusive with no possible point of direct comparison? Surely you realise the folly in this logic.

Also why bring up infamous? I'm talking solely about DA:I. I'm not making some sweeping statement that the PS4 can't hold as good as a framerate in ANY AND EVERY open world game. I'm just saying that in this specific case the XB1 holds a better framerate with worse graphics.
Exactly. Assassin's Creed IV and Watch Dogs were both higher resolution on PS4 *AND* delivered a more stable frame-rate.

Also, BF4 was higher res and more stable while NFS-Rivals featured more effects and HBAO on PS4.

I'm enjoying this "PS4 have graphics and visuals but XboxOne have better performance in games" new narrative.
It's not a new narrative - it only applies to a select few recent games.

Seanspeed

Banned
To place equal emphasis on both is to suggest equivalence.
It really doesnt. Just because two things matter doesnt mean or suggest they are equivalent. You are being paranoid and reaching. As are others who keep trying to push this conspiracy.

Elios83

Guys stop attacking dark10x, he's only reporting facts and the article had no bias, it was neutral.

No reason to attack him, but IMO he's just very sensitive on the fps matter so it gives to it more importance than it really has in this case, most people can't even notice the minor drops we're talking about in this game.But it's subjective. I can tell the difference between 30 fps and 25 fps and the game so far (10h in)has been totally smooth for me on PS4.
I have friends who recently tried Unity at home and they couldn't find any problem with the frame rate and for me that game runs like shit :p
The point is that probably the comparison lacks a bit of perspective in making people realize that although there are extra dips because the hardware is rendering 30% more pixels on screen the PS4 version hasn't really any concrete performance issues.

Tobor

Sucks for them. I'm using a Kuro Elite plasma but I capture on an LCD (where 900p really looks a heck of a lot worse).

OLED > Plasma >>>> LCD

Sure, but the market has spoken, and everyone bought LCDs. If you had an LCD, which version would you buy?

RedStep

Wow ...

this isn't some twitch based FPS shooter requiring millisecond timing

It is an immersive WRPG

taking " performance " ( which again ... is being built up to be an issue on the PS4 when it is not ) over visuals is hilarious to me.

Utter BS anyway you slice it. Actually playing the game non-stop on the PS4 it is easy to say there is no performance issues. And even if there are, during MASSIVE battles ( there must be something I haven't reached yet ) again it is a WRPG where you are holding down the attack button and waiting for timers on specials. You are not going to accidently miss a headshot or something because the frames skipped a bit lol.

Who is building this up to be an issue except those that can't handle this statement?

"If you don't mind minor frame-rate dips and feel that image quality is most important, it's easy to recommend the PS4 version. However, those looking for the most stable experience should instead opt for the Xbox One version."

It's a simple situation and a simple conclusion, but here you are going nuts over it (and calling it bullshit, and denying that there are any drops despite having them on video) because it says that some might prefer the XBO version.

Top Bottom