• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Forza 5 1080p/60FPS gameplay and performance analysis videos

Ty4on

The downgrades are pretty clear, but again, you seem to be ignoring the improved/replaced assets (and I don't mean just "windows"). So higher fidelity building models in certain areas counts as an upgrade, imho, however insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

That is the 10 something long Machinima video? Seems to show that it looks a lot worse than the E3 build and final build for the most part.
This posts compares E3 build to the Machinima video.

Edit: Got confused, sorry.

IRQ

Banned
Go with the system that has the exclusives you want bro. Grab that X1. And for the record the difference isn't 360-wii wide.
Thanks for your response bro. Well my exclusives lies with Microsoft and Xbox. I really hope you are right about the difference being not that big :)

Gestault

I wanted to take a look at some of these comparisons.

f5-compare4ngo8a.jpg
In addition to much sharper detail, we see more geometry in the scenery, more detailed trackside textures, better lighting and a more pronounced dynamic range. Here's another simple one:

The amount of both geometry and texture detail in the release version is dramatically improved. I prefer the warmer lighting and the dynamic range we see, though those are stylistic changes.

This one's a dramatic upgrade, with more detail on basically everything in the scene with regard to textures, geometry, lighting and the addition of meaningful amounts of new track-side detail. Look at the trolley lines overhead.

I see changes, but I don't understand the claims that these are flat-out downgrades in any way.

velociraptor

Doesn't look anywhere near as good as the E3 footage (which blew me away). Guess Thuway was right. In all honesty, this game doesn't represent a generational leap.

RetroStu

Banned
This corner, for example:

In addition to much sharper detail, we see more geometry in the scenery, more detailed trackside textures, better lighting and a more pronounced dynamic range.

I see changes, but I don't understand the claims that this is a flat-out downgrade in any way.

Yeah it looks a lot better now, better textures and much more trackside detail. Some people will see what they want to see such as using the terrible quality DF Youtube video when we have direct capture screens right here.

derFeef

Ah hahah Oh speaking, speaking of power cords and trolley tracks (well you were anyway, before you edited your previous post heh), they added those in here:

Why did they do that, track would look cleaner without them .... weird.
I like that motion blur though.

I don't get it. I know I shouldn't expect arcade-style whoosh, but around the 2:16 mark, when the car goes by the fence (which cannot be more than 2 meters away) at a speed of 60 is just awkward. I'm trying to find some real footage for comparison, because I'm curious.

Can you specify what video it was? Circuits are usually much bigger then what you'd expect which gives you a false sense of speed.

Take Laguna Seca for example, bet you never realized it's actually a 59 feet drop on the Corkscrew.

In addition to much sharper detail, we see more geometry in the scenery, more detailed trackside textures, better lighting and a more pronounced dynamic range. Here's another simple one:

The amount of both geometry and texture detail in the release version is dramatically improved. I prefer the warmer lighting and the dynamic range we see, though those are stylistic changes.

This one's a dramatic upgrade, with more detail on basically everything in the scene with regard to textures, geometry, lighting and the addition of meaningful amounts of new track-side detail. Look at the trolley lines overhead.

I see changes, but I don't understand the claims that these are flat-out downgrades in any way.

You can't compare the sharpness and texture detail between videos with different compression values...

And there's less trees, which are usually more taxing then a building with simple geometry. Same goes for the bridge that replaced 2 pillars with statues. That looks more like smart optimization of the level layout, and as adelante showed, this optimization actually leads to it looking better on some sections, but the downgrade, technically speaking that is, is more then apparent.

Demon Ice

Banned
You're trying pretty hard I see.

Fight the good fight bro!

Actually he had a correct, factual post and invited people to correct him if he was wrong.

You on the other hand, came in here with the defensive hurr durr console warrior try so hard bullshit, in response to people discussing graphics in a Digital Foundry thread.

So yeah, keep up the good fight, kiddo.

ShogunX

That video confirms that the game has had a pretty significant downgrade since the main gameplay reveal. In terms of overall lighting, textures, geometry, AO etc. But on the positive side, at least it holds a constant 60fps.

Have you really not played Forza for over four years? According to your online profile you haven't. Seems you missed Horizon as well. Weird.

Have you really not played Forza for over four years? According to your online profile you haven't. Seems you missed Horizon as well. Weird.

Horizon is 60fps now?

Previous games being rock solid 60fps doesn't really negate anything in his post... It's a new game on new hardware even, previous games being 60fps with no drops doesn't really mean that this one automatically would be, but he's glad that they are.

old

So beautiful. Love the colors and the lighting. Sometimes got lost looking at the background.

RetroStu

Banned
so how did they manage 1080/60fps and other games cant manage it?

It will be the same as every other generation, a small percentage of 60fps games while the majority are 30fps. Developers will always push graphics over framerates, its just that the Forza developers are super skilled in this by now.

adelante

I prefer the warmer lighting and the dynamic range we see, though those are stylistic changes.

Yep, I prefer the warmer lighting too. The main problem with the old build is that the cooler color temperature tend to "blend out" the shadows on the ground with the road surface. Kinda makes it hard to distinguish between them and road markings in certain areas.

A shame about the crowd comprising mainly of 2D sprites though. But I guess if there's anything to be thankful for with the extra power that comes with new gen, it's that it allows devs to have:

1) higher-res sprites
2) fuckin loads of them

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
OK, my first thought when watching the youtube video at 1080p is that this game got a massive visual downgrade since the E3. I decided to shut up until I see better footage, but I see others already are thinking the same.

Damaniel

Banned

Static lighting and obvious, heavy reductions in graphical effects (regardless of what some people are saying here).

For a racing game like Forza, those sacrifices are likely worth it (other than the disappointment that some people are experiencing after seeing the final version compared to previous builds). Other games decided that extra effects were worth lower resolution and frame rate, and adjusted accordingly - in the case of Ryse, image quality has gone way up over earlier builds, even as the resolution and frame rate have been scaled back.

nib95

Banned

It's difficult to judge detail when you're comparing a 1GB HQ video with 720p YT captures, but I will say the second one definitely looks better in the new build. But the top and bottom imo look better in the older build. There's little point adding those power lines to the buildings when aliasing is so prevalent. I actually think the look of the tree's look better in the older build, and that pass through with the tree's everywhere looked nice. There was no need really to add that bridge, but it was probably an artistic decision.

OK, my first thought when watching the youtube video at 1080p is that this game got a massive visual downgrade since the E3. I decided to shut up until I see better footage, but I see others already are thinking the same.

You don't really need to "think" just look at the screens above from Prague that prove conclusively otherwise.

Gestault

You can't compare the sharpness and texture detail between videos with different compression values...

And there's less trees, which are usually more taxing then a building with simple geometry. Same goes for the bridge that replaced 2 pillars with statues. That looks more like smart optimization of the level layout, and as adelante showed, this optimization actually leads to it looking better on some sections, but the downgrade, technically speaking that is, is more then apparent.

I think these highlight it a bit. We may have to disagree on this.

iVDDb3WY9ym4C.gif

it8qWnrjs3dpg.gif

Ty4on

A shame about the crowd comprising mainly of 2D sprites though. But I guess if there's anything to be thankful for with the extra power that comes with new gen, it's that it allows devs to have:

1) higher-res sprites
2) fuckin loads of them

Forza 2 and PGR 3 at the very least had a 3D crowd, probably a lot more games as I remember it being next gen feature back then. Not a huge crowd, but 3D :D
There was no need really to add that bridge, but it was probably an artistic decision.

I'm not gonna lie, hiding pop in was my first thought :p

Taker34

Banned

Just compare it to E3 gameplay, 2 different games. Seriously just looking at the track details, buildings, motion blur, AA etc. it's a massive downgrade, imo. I'm not a fan of racing games, so I couldn't care less which game's the best but Forza did look way better back then. That demo was running on a much better rig. I doubt that was a design decision.

ShogunX

Horizon is 60fps now?

Previous games being rock solid 60fps doesn't really negate anything in his post... It's a new game on new hardware even, previous games being 60fps with no drops doesn't really mean that this one automatically would be, but he's glad that they are.

Horizons was 30 FPS.

I was more asking the question of why Nib hasn't played Forza for over four years (according to his profile at least) yet still has a big interest in the series. Nothing to do with Horizon being 30fps at all.

Demon Ice

Banned
I was more asking the question of why Nib hasn't played Forza for over four years (according to his profile at least) yet still has a big interest in the series. Nothing to do with Horizon being 30fps at all.

Only people who have played the series are allowed to comment in Digital Foundry threads about the game's graphics?

Cels

looks good, definite downgrades in some areas though, with upgrades in other areas.

pretty sure the same people in here saying omg downgrade are the same people who point out that Deep Down(grade) actual gameplay footage doesn't look anywhere close to the in-engine teaser footage capcom first showed

shandy706

Back when IGN was the big boy on campus Nibs was hard.....hard...hardcore Sony/PD/GT. He's not as bad now, but I'm sure he still leans that way.

nib95

Banned
I think these highlight it a bit. We may have to disagree on this.

iVDDb3WY9ym4C.gif

it8qWnrjs3dpg.gif

What are your thoughts on this comparison? Tonnes of different segments of the track compared.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=90611423&postcount=203

I didn't need to. Whilst I was at Uni/London most of my 360 gaming was done on my flat mates console. Hence why I was XBL Gold'less for a while. Now I'm back in my own place and have both consoles, as well as PS+ and XBL Gold. That said, I barely had much time with Horizon. The last Forza I played properly was Forza 4, but not as much as 3 because I actually preferred the physics in 3.

Log4Girlz

Any modern engine can manage 1080/60 fps with ease. The question a dev needs to ask themselves is how much graphical detail are they sacrificing? The more detail in a scene, the longer you need to render it. That's why 3D CGI movies look so good. Their render farms take hours to days to render each FRAME.

Considering the somewhat disappointing leap in power than generation, targeting 1080/60 fps is a major hit in performance and makes many games look uncomfortably close to prior generation games in detail level. And this is what most laymen really even notice.

ShogunX

Only people who have played the series are allowed to comment in Digital Foundry threads about the game's graphics?

Not at all. I've seen Nib in multiple Forza threads therefore it's fair to make the assumption that somebody who is visiting and posting in multiple threads about a game would have a lot of interest in that series.

Not sure why you feel the need to be all Kevin Costner but carry on.

Top Bottom